Bankai's Journal - ERE mode:hard

Where are you and where are you going?
Scott 2

Re: Bankai's Journal - ERE mode:hard

Post by Scott 2 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:37 pm

You probably will notice this, but unless you buy a nut milk fortified with pea protein, it is lower protein than soy milk.

I agree there is debate, which is what leads me to still allow 1-2 servings of soy a day. Without meat, it is a useful option to have in the diet.

Augustus

Post by Augustus » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:18 pm

There's a cancer risk to eating within 3 hrs of going to sleep, also a cancer risk to not letting stomach rest for 13 hrs (only water during that time). Valter Longo and a cancer research study at SDSU iirc both talk about it.

Sabaka

Post by Sabaka » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:48 pm

That's a cool meal plan @Bankai. A bit of weird coincidence but I've just started bulking, and I also follow a diet which tries to minimise as much as possible animal products. I don't really like eating constantly though, so instead I've created a 'bulk shake' which I consume 5/7 days of the week. It's basically 100g powdered oats and 100g vegan protein powder, both from theproteinworks.co.uk. It's pretty cheap so it might be suitable if you fancied an alternative to the soy protein powder :)

Bankai

Post by Bankai » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:42 pm

@Augustus - thanks for this, I've never looked into eating frequency vs cancer risk. I'm looking up relevant articles in PubMed.

@Sabaka - thanks for the suggestion, I just found a pretty cheap pea protein powder. Looking at the reviews, it's a typical trilemma, i.e. high quality & cheap, but tastes awful (unflavoured). Oh well, I'm sure some cinnamon & fruits will help. Re bulk shake, do you drink it all at once? The few articles I found on the subject seem to agree with the common practice of spreading proteins over multiple meals for best absorption. I.e. this review from last year:

Based on the current evidence, we conclude that to maximize anabolism one should consume protein at a target intake of 0.4 g/kg/meal across a minimum of four meals in order to reach a minimum of 1.6 g/kg/day. Using the upper daily intake of 2.2 g/kg/day reported in the literature spread out over the same four meals would necessitate a maximum of 0.55 g/kg/meal.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5828430/

Augustus

Post by Augustus » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:00 pm

It's still being actively researched, so I don't know how many finished studies you'll find. Here are some links:
https://www.connersclinic.com/time-rest ... ating-tre/
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 3116302509
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qlrB84xp5g

The last one has the researcher who found the clearest link to breast cancer reduction in humans. IIRC she is expanding the study to other cancers now, but the suspicion is that time restricted feeding slows down lots of different types of cancers, based on evidence in mice. Key quote is:
“…in time-restricted fed mice, if we just implant a tumor, then the tumor will not grow as much as the mice that eat randomly the same number of calories.” Dr. Satchin Panda, Salk Institute for Biological Studies
and
This is because during a fasting-state our body is able to enter into alternative metabolic processes, which rely less on glucose and more on ketones. This shift from sugar metabolism to utilizing fatty acids (beta oxidation) is important in cancer, as cancer cells use the process of fermentation to drive their growth and replication.
Basically TRF inhibits cancer growth. Or at least that's the theory. So far the only human study was specifically aimed at breast cancer, but it did have a big impact. If it does apply to many cancers, then time restricted feeding will slow down cancer growth and occurrence. This is all new research that no one has really done before afaik, we'll find out more in the next few years.

Sabaka

Post by Sabaka » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:28 am

@Bankai

No worries man :) Regarding how I consume the protein powder, I just dump the entire lot into my shaker and consume it throughout the day whilst at work. It usually takes a few refills (with water) to completely get through it, so I'm not downing it all at once or anything. This works for me because I don't eat lunch at work, so it helps to keep me going.

Just a word of warning about unflavoured pea protein powder. It is absolutely awful, like one of the worst tastes I've ever experienced. I tried mixing it with pretty much everything, but it just did not work for me. I ended up having to dump the bag. I'd just suggest buying a small bag of the stuff first just to make sure you're okay with it before going for the big bags :)

Bankai

Post by Bankai » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:14 pm

@Sabaka

Too late, although I finally made it somewhat drinkable today. Added a banana, few dates, a fistful of blueberries and a teaspoon of mixed spice. Far from delicious but it only takes few seconds to drink.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:03 pm

All protein tastes terrible, in my experience. I learned over the years to seek a neutral flavor, rather than good. The goal is something I can down quickly that won't fatigue my taste buds over time.

I currently pre-mix a scoop of protein, 1 tsp sugar, 1/2tsp alkalized cocoa, 1/2 heaping tsp creatine. When it comes time to drink it, I stir it into about 6 oz of warm water with a spoon. I am using an unflavored whey isolate, which could mix a little easier than the pea protein.

You might end up reading about spiking plant proteins with the amino acid leucine, in an effort to increase the muscle building stimulus. Be warned - leucine takes the foul taste to a whole different level. It is one of the few supplements I bought, then refused to consume. Awful.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:35 pm

Optimum Nutrition whey tastes great, and dissolves after a couple gentle stirs. I've tried a ton of different powders and it's the best. I usually get Rocky Road or Double Rich Chocolate.

niemand

Post by niemand » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:41 pm

+1 on the flavour of ON, this used to me my go to whey isolate. What I now do not like anymore is the long list of ingredients of ON and most other protein powders.
For the last couple years I’ve therefore been using a whey protein isolate powder with just 2 ingredients: whey protein isolate and soy lecitin. I add my own cocoa.

@Bankai, I like your meal plan and know you’re mostly but not strictly eating vegan, but I think you would increase your protein intake options greatly of you did consider whey.
Also I’d recommend you to look into intermittent fasting topic and the benefits of having extended non-eating phases of 12+ hours.