Pedal2Petal's post-ERE life

Where are you and where are you going?
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Pedal2Petal's post-ERE life

Post by jacob »

I comment way too little on this journal but that's just because I'm very impressed and never disagree with anything. Until now ;-)

The wiggler doubling time under ideal conditions (enough food, good temperature/moisture and no overpopulation) is about 3 months... or some 800% CAGR. People around here (Chicago) are selling starter batches (about a pound) for $20. Also, people do mail these things. Not sure how.

I've found craigslist to be very different from region to region. It's really just a platform and best/optimal strategies depend on the local community [of craigslisters].

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

P2P, can you recommend any resources for learning about building these battery packs, and batteries in general? I think they are awesome and would buy one from you if I was local, don't worry I won't be going into competition with you, just curious really! ;)

Also great work with the garden, I love your plans for your community plot, how will the materials be funded?

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Yes, I am also curious about the battery packs. I love your compost-mobile. Very cool and clever!The highest yielding variety of tomatoes I've ever grown was a massive ugly-but-tasty fruiting Russian variety known as "Pink Elephant." It would likely do well in your climate. One gardener I met in Detroit was able to train his tomatoes to grow up towards the top of his 14 ft. passive greenhouse through an extended season. I have a friend within biking distance who is raising hogs for bar-b-que, and there are several halal butchers in my neighborhood, so I may have to steal your lard acquisition and processing meme. What fun!

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

If my price was low enough I could probably sell tens of thousands a year.
You could test it by selling them through Amazon, though I was surprised by how expensive five gallon buckets are in general.

Your site comes up with the "This site may be hacked" warning on the Google results page.

Pedal2Petal

Post by Pedal2Petal »

jacob wrote:The wiggler doubling time under ideal conditions (enough food, good temperature/moisture and no overpopulation) is about 3 months... or some 800% CAGR. People around here (Chicago) are selling starter batches (about a pound) for $20. Also, people do mail these things. Not sure how.
I wondered if anyone would call me out on this. I realize I'm really, really stretching the definition of "days." I've read contradictory information online reporting anywhere from ~10 to 90 days to double a population. That's why I intentionally left the time frame vague. On the lower end, I think we're counting a doubling of individuals not adults, from an initial population of adults.
vexed87 wrote:P2P, can you recommend any resources for learning about building these battery packs, and batteries in general?
I learned most of what I know from the youtube channel "Rinoa Super Genius." Alternatively, the Candlepower forumis a leading internet community for batteries and related technology. Any specific battery questions can be asked on reddit.com/r/batteries
vexed87 wrote: Also great work with the garden, I love your plans for your community plot, how will the materials be funded?
We have a budget. $3500 from the co-op funds matched with $3500 from a government grant we've won for this sort of thing. And the president says if the plan is good enough or enough people are into it, we can stretch push that $7k budget up higher, to 9k or 10k. And as you'd expect, I have a lot of ideas for how to stretch a budget till it screams.
7Wannabe5 wrote:The highest yielding variety of tomatoes I've ever grown was a massive ugly-but-tasty fruiting Russian variety known as "Pink Elephant." It would likely do well in your climate.
Russian varieties tend to do very well here. I'll have to look into this "Pink Elephant."
Gilberto de Piento wrote: Your site comes up with the "This site may be hacked" warning on the Google results page.
Good to know. I'll have to try and fix this today. I really hate Wordpress sometimes...
Last edited by Pedal2Petal on Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pedal2Petal

Post by Pedal2Petal »

Cleaning up a URL Redirect Hacked Wordpress Site

I've fixed the hacked content. Truth be told, it's something I've needed to fix since February but it's been an extraordinarily lazy year for me.

The first time I tried to fix this, I eliminated a shitload of suspicious entries from my sql database. I had assumed it was an sql injection and that would fix the problem.

So I submitted my site for review from google. They got back to me and told me the spammy redirects were still there.

That was about a month ago, and it looks like that's when they hit me with the "site may be hacked" text.

Today I went back into the filesystem, and found a bunch of weird stuff in the htaccess file. That's the file that often handles 301 redirects so it was on the top of my suspect list. The "last edited" timestamp matched up to near the date of the hack in February as well. Note the wildcard key terms.

This is probably the tenth time I've had to fix a hacked server since I started server wrangling in 2004. Every time it's been something completely different. Each hack expands my knowledge of my server and how all the different elements interact. It's been a non-voluntary but useful learning process so far.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

I've had the htaccess file hacked too. I added the wordfence plugin and do a lot of backups.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I didn't see your comments about sunlight and growing tomatoes when I answered your question in the garden thread.

You might need to add in some red mulch or something to warm the soil. I've also seen people plant tomatoes next to walls and paint them white with a reflective additive in the paint. Not sure what would work for you. I'd definitely try Rutgers and German Johnson instead of larger tomatoes. Cherry tomatoes would also work. I grow sun gold cherry tomatoes. They might work for you, too.

They biggest problem you'll have is that you should rotate the tomato beds to avoid soil-borne diseases. I'm not sure how you could do that if only a couple of beds get enough sun for growing tomatoes. One option would be to change out the soil every year if you're using raised beds, but that's a ton of work and not always effective.

Your design looks really cool.

Pedal2Petal

Post by Pedal2Petal »

The Permaculture Post
jennypenny wrote:Your design looks really cool.
Thanks JP. I've been thinking a lot about design lately. The permaculture system had an enormous impact on how I approach design. For years I've been applying permaculture not just to crops, but to building my websites, preparing my food, my shopping habits and my daily routine.

And my permaculture is telling me that where I've placed that garden is just not going to work. I've put it there because of co-op politics and decisions that were made before we even applied to live here, and I intend to play a bit of politics to get it placed elsewhere.

Right in front of my own porch sits a large slice of land that gets 8 hours of sun each day. That's a hell of a lot more solar calories. I'm building a case for placing the gardens in this zone to present to the board president, our landscaper, the other gardeners, and anyone else who will listen to my ranting and raving about sunlight hours.

Bringing it back to Permaculture, I've noticed something appear on my potato plants.

You know what that is, don't you? That's a valuable high-nitrogen fertilizer, delivered free and delivered often. I accidentally made a good habitat for these birds by building a trellis out of twigs from the forest. The trellis was meant for peas but nature had another idea.

By the way, I looked around at all my neighbors and couldn't find any other bird droppings beside their man-made store bought trellises. I think there are several reasons for this which I won't get into.

Now that I've observed this benevolent process of birds shitting, I can incorporate bird habitat into all my future garden designs while keeping in mind ways to prevent them from eating my plants.

I'm also impressed with the progress of my sunchokes, which are now taller than I am.

The stems have expanded in width a lot. They should be sturdy enough by now to support climbing bean plants, so I'm going to try climbing beans up them. It's similar to the "three sisters" idea, but I don't have room for squash or corn so I'm going to try a new related idea - the "2 brothers." Remind me to check the rooting patterns of each plant to make sure they complement each other.

Pedal2Petal

Post by Pedal2Petal »

How Early Can ERE be Done?

I went ERE the month I got married, September 2013. I was 26 at the time.

It’s almost uncomfortable for me to say this, because I never reveal my power level in real life.

That is extremely early, so the ERE method really, really works.

Do you know of anyone who got out earlier?

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

It depends on your definition of ERE. Yes, the person who's amassed a large financial asset base and quit their job can qualify for ERE. But so can the person who works a couple months out of the year or whenever they feel like it/need to.

If we are accepting the latter definition, I am about to quit my full time job at the end of this month. I'll be following the strategy of the second plan. I'm 23.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Depending on how you count/qualify (FIRE?), I haven't heard of anyone earlier.

That picture looks strangely familiar. You're in Vancouver, right. Is that the top of the Grind?

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

jacob wrote:That picture looks strangely familiar. You're in Vancouver, right. Is that the top of the Grind?
I was wondering the same thing. I've done the Grind.

I gotta say, I don't just envy your age at reaching ERE, I envy your location. Vancouver is a great city.

Pedal2Petal

Post by Pedal2Petal »

jacob wrote:That picture looks strangely familiar. You're in Vancouver, right. Is that the top of the Grind?
jennypenny wrote: I envy your location. Vancouver is a great city.
Vancouver is an 11/10. So good that it’s attracting half of the Chinese elite and their money is destroying the middle class. But this isn’t the place for politics, it’s the place for my pictures.

The photo on the previous post was taken from the peak of Mt Strachan. That’s the mountain just east of Cypress, which is a ski resort on the North Shore just like Grouse. Locals mostly avoid Grouse because it’s become an extremely popular tourist spot.

I’ve annotated the hike for your convenience.

Starting at the Cypress parking lot, we climbed in a clockwise direction. Last time, we summited St. Marks but this time we continued on to summit both peaks of Mt Strachan.

The first peak offered 360 views of an enormous slice of southern BC.

The second peak, the entire sunshine coast and Bowen Island.

A few hundred yards down from the second peak, lie 10,000 shredded pieces of a military plane. It felt more somber than I expected.

Then, a hauntingly silent meadow of blueberries and huckleberries. There is no wind or birdsong, and the foliage and the way the valley lie dampens every footstep. It’s so silent that it will make your ears ring. Otherworldly.

We took a shortcut back, down an abomination of a trail. A gravel scar cut across the mountain which in winter will serve as a ski run.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Bloody hell!

Around 2005 I was "strong encouraged" (by someone working there) to apply for a position at TRIUMPH. I rejected it because I didn't want to be a "staff scientist". In 2006 I turned down an offer at McGill because I applied for a US green card a few months earlier (having just gotten married).

(My supremely narrow field of physics research have somewhat strong connections to both sites.)

So I pretty much said no to Canada, twice. Maybe that was a mistake, but I bet that was one/two of those moments out of a handful in one's life where a big difference could have obtained. Well ... on the flip side, it would have effectively required DW to can her PhD in progress, so there was that.

Still ...

Pedal2Petal

Post by Pedal2Petal »

jacob wrote:I pretty much said no to Canada, twice. Maybe that was a mistake, but I bet that was one/two of those moments out of a handful in one's life where a big difference could have obtained.
Life is long, maybe you'll get a third chance. If you ever make it to Eden, you could start having your meetups in the mountains of the north shore. 8-)

photo: north shore mountains, stanley park, and downtown vancouver in the background. Spanish banks in the foreground.
theanimal wrote:If we are accepting the latter definition, I am about to quit my full time job at the end of this month. I'll be following the strategy of the second plan. I'm 23.
My definition is rather unsophisticated. To me, retirement equates with not working. So it sounds to me like you are 5/6 retired. Pretty damn retired if you ask me. I also suspect it's psychologically healthier to work 20% of the time than it is to work 0% of the time.

photo: the Englishman River estuary in Parksville, Vancouver Island.

sky

Post by sky »

"I had heard of a group in Victoria, BC, called Pedal to Petal, which ran a pedal-powered compost pickup service; I was inspired by what they were doing, so I figured I'd spend the fall and winter doing something similar..."

Page xix, Preface, The Urban Farmer, Curtis Stone

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

A five gallon bucket rocket stove (in case you haven't seen it) ... https://youtu.be/S6dGHC_Sqok

Pedal2Petal

Post by Pedal2Petal »

I have so many updates I don’t know where to begin. Maybe that's appropriate for post 100.

The 8 Hour Garden

I’ve negotiated relocating the garden to the better, sunnier spot. Now our crops will thrive in 8+ hours of sunshine from May to September.

The quote came back heavy at over $8,000. I requested figures for various pathway materials as you will see on the quote itself:

But the board approved it, so we are go for launch. We break ground on the beds in October.

I’m doing the pathways myself. Either I’ll lay sod from Costco or I’ll seed the pathways with grass and clover. I want to go heavy on the clover but I’ve noticed most people don’t grow lawns this way. Is there any reason why? I would think the clover would contribute to a much healthier lawn. Any grass nerds out there want to weigh in?

Expanding Plant Inventory

I’ve built more auto watering systems and filled them with plants. Here’s an auto watering spider plant. I think it has a piratey vibe.

I’m also building some artificial swales; I need to get the design right before posting pictures.

My plant collection Is expanding outdoors too. I found a screaming deal on a few trees, a fern and 40 sage plant. The lot for 40 canadian pesos.

The 2 tall trees are Hibiscus, and the short conifer is Dwarf Alberta Spruce.

I have the outlines of a plan for what to do with these.

1. Weasel my way into getting hired as the co-op’s landscaper,
2. Flip these to the co-op for a few hundred dollars in total, still less than what landscapers would charge.
3. Charge the co-op for the labor to have them put in.

In total I’d be charging 1/2 to 2/3 what the other landscapers charge so the co-op would be compelled to hire me.

I’d be getting paid to put in the plants I would have put in anyway.

bonus: sprouting fava beans in sub irrigated planters. I’m sowing in egg carton so the plant can be removed at this size and planted into the ground.

Still Retired?

I’ve taken a client. It’s a luxury homes construction company in Vancouver. These guys have been begging me to do their SEO for months, and I finally caved.

For this sort of work, it's customary to bill a very high rate. I've calculated that if charging this rate, I can earn an entire year’s expenses with 3 full days of work. I think this approaches the rate CEOs earn their annual living expenses at.

Now that I already have one really great client, I’m thinking about pursuing more. If I can bill just a day a week, I’d have enough cashflow to start rapidly paying into some property, preferably land. Anybody know of some cheap land in BC?

Osoyoos: In my opinion the most gorgeous city in BC. You’re also looking at the warmest lake in Canada.

Pedal2Petal

Post by Pedal2Petal »

sky wrote:"I had heard of a group in Victoria, BC, called Pedal to Petal, which ran a pedal-powered compost pickup service; I was inspired by what they were doing, so I figured I'd spend the fall and winter doing something similar..."

Page xix, Preface, The Urban Farmer, Curtis Stone
Yes I actually met Curtis Stone, and I don't think he likes me. But my wife started out not liking me either. Maybe if Curtis and I got to know each other, I could win him over.

The @Pedal2Petal Balance Sheet

I'm finishing up my second piece of work for the luxury construction company I'm hired to do SEO for. I'm up to 2-4 hours of work each week now, and it's felt good to work again. I usually work when my son is taking his daily 3-4 hour nap. Assuming 3 hours per week I'm earning an extra 31,200$ per year from this income source. I only need about 12,000 per year for life expenses, although with kid expenses and 2 overseas vacations in 2 years, this number is creeping up. Income from websites is creeping down from 30,000$

If I ever need to max out, I could expand the amount of work I do to 4 hours per day and pull 4000$ a week(208,000$/yr)from this form of income.

Family Dynasty

I've been considering having a lot of kids. ERE gives you the freedom to expand your lineage, so why not? Kids can be taught to take care of you when you're older. This removes you from the money economy altogether at a time when your peers might be subject to predatory nursing home institutions.

Each kid you have in Canada earns you a tidy ~$6,000 Canadian pesos annually until age 6, and a little bit less annually after that. With enough kids, you could ERE just off the government baby dividend.

Expanding my Fief

Pictured above my son is helping me clear snow so the garden beds can go in. They are due to be in by January. All the beds are now spoken for, so we're almost guaranteed to be expanding again next year. The compost bin I ordered is already installed.

I've also built a fief on Vancouver island, planted with garlic. Permaculture zone 3.

Here is a shot of the fiefs in Lynn Valley, mine is outlined in red. Zone 2.

What does Trump mean for me?

Trump represents the possibility for an end to my biggest problem, US interference in my Canadian affairs. I have to file FBARs and other bureaucratic bullshit every year because of NAFTA and similar treaties. In fact if Trump can cut enough bureaucracy and taxes and political control of everything anybody wants to do, I can even see myself moving back to America in my lifetime. Congratulations to all the Americans here on taking their country back.