Pedal2Petal's post-ERE life

Where are you and where are you going?
Pedal2Petal

Re: Pedal2Petal's post-ERE life

Post by Pedal2Petal »

When I meet with the New Media dept at BCIT, they may ask me to provide a sample class outline. So I'll have one ready to show them. I have 2 lists, one for a full class on SEO, and enough for half a class on Website Monetization. I could integrate website monetization into the SEO class, or build it out bigger into 2 classes.

SEO CLASS

lectures:
SEO: Links and Keywords
Keyword Value
Link Value
Appearing natural and keeping it simple
Image SEO
Video SEO
Building SEO with Social Networks
Building SEO with “blogging”
Finding low hanging fruit
Re-purposing content
SEO dirty tricks

WEBSITE MONETIZATION

lectures:
Major monetization strategies
The Sales Funnel
A/B Optimization
SEO Strategies
Last edited by Pedal2Petal on Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pedal2Petal

Post by Pedal2Petal »

vexed87 wrote:Ah, you're visiting the South. I'm afraid that's too far to travel for a day trip. If you get a chance, try see some of God's Own Country (Yorkshire), it won't disappoint, but I'm biased being a local :P. There's a lot more to the country than London, as I'm sure you'll appreciate if you've travelled outside it, that said, October isn't the greatest time to explore our countryside, it's cold, wet and windy!

Well, if you do happen to be up North at any point, drop me a PM and we shall see what we can do about meeting up. :)
Is it too far for a day trip? I'm under the impression that England is geographically fairly small and can be traversed quite quickly, compared to Canada. How long a drive or train ride is it up there? And are you ever down south?

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

Yes and no, you could do it, but it wouldn't be very enjoyable as a day trip if you are based in the south, I'd recommend checking out the regions closer to where you are staying. If you did travel up to Yorkshire just for the day, most of your time would be spent travelling. It's only two hours and 15 minutes to my neck of the woods (Leeds) from London Kings Cross by train, but if you were visiting Yorkshire, you'd want to take a trip out to York, originally a Viking settlement, the Yorkshire Dales, see all that it has to offer, e.g. old castles and monasteries, rolling hills, sample some of the great hiking out on the Three Peaks, etc. There's plenty more to see too. You'd want at least a few days, particularly if you like the outdoors, the days are getting shorter in October. I would think you could stretch a visit to yorkshire a couple of weeks if you wanted, but that depends on what in particular you'd like to do...

From London by car, you're looking at a 3-4 hour drive just to get to Leeds, than another hour or so to get to North Yorkshire, if you need to be back in London (I assume so, as this is a day trip) then your day would be mostly spent looking out the window of a car/train with a few pit stop in rural pubs/cafes... :evil: not my idea of fun anyway! :D

simplex

Post by simplex »

Good luck with your classes at BCIT. Once met a great guy who was a researcher in Burnaby.

Regarding your classes, I think and important part of SEO is writing / copywriting. Once you have some content, you can start content oriented SEO, like looking for keywords, sites for backlinks, ...

My impression is that visitor flow from page to page is becoming more and more important as google tracks through GA who goes from where to where. probably that is / becomes more important than links themselves.

bryan

Post by bryan »

Gilberto de Piento wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:06 am
Pedal2Petal wrote:If my price was low enough I could probably sell tens of thousands a year.
I was surprised by how expensive five gallon buckets are in general.
Did you say where you sourced your free buckets from? Browsing CL free section and I just ran into a post of a cosmetics manufacturing company nearby giving away 100s of 5-gallon buckets.

ellipsis_has_expired

Post by ellipsis_has_expired »

Hey man, I wanted to let you know you inspired me to wax the heavy canvas Carhartt jacket I recently got, now that I've moved from Hawaii to the midwest. Here is the album: https://imgur.com/a/qolyj

I'm very pleased with how it turned out, thanks for your tutorial!

CS

Post by CS »

deleted

Pedal2Petal

Post by Pedal2Petal »

2017 my rockiest year of retirement yet. But without some struggle, one becomes too soft. I don't ask for fewer burdens, but a stronger back.

My laziness finally caught up to me as my income started dropping at a worrying pace. I hired a writer from the Netherlands, paying him out of pocket to write an article every day, hoping to reverse the trajectory of ad revenue. Long story short, it didn't work and the experiment left me with less in the bank than I had planned for.

Now, most millennials would be thrilled to have no debt and 10 grand in the bank, but for me it was a crisis situation. In my panic, I even started applying for jobs *guffaw* I had a few offers but ended up turning them all down because nothing was quite worth giving up my freedom.

Complicating matters was our new baby boy who we call Baby G. My wife really preferred I didn't work, even though for about a month I felt like I had to.

This was the sort of situation JacobERE warned me about in 2012 when I proposed building income-generating websites for a living. Specifically he warned that a website has a discount rate of 50%, and that website revenue cannot be relied on long-term.

Finally, in a fit of desperation, I chose to work on my own sites using my own time. I'm rather burned out on my own sites, which is why I hired that guy from the Netherlands in the first place. After a bit of research, I discovered one of my problems, and how to fix it.

You see, it used to be that you could put a whole mess of content online, and as long as your overall website was high authority, even the mundane content could rank in search engines. Not true anymore. Now, if you want every piece of content to rank well, every piece of content has to be stellar.

Many content marketers online now utilize a "cornerstone content" method, whereby you continually hone your best content instead of trying to pump out daily content. Fortunately, that fits my own websites very well already. And that's exactly what I did. And I am happy to report it worked. My blog income grew by 70% over a few months of building up my pre-existing cornerstone content, and I was out of the woods.

And that's when the client work started coming in. You see, I am technically running three businesses. A web design business, blogging business, and that weird compost business in my username. This year the website business came through, just when I needed the work. Hallelujah. I had to cancel a vacation to Europe in 2017, but with another 10 grand in the bank it may only be a delay to 2018.

I'm still applying to jobs, because you never know. I may hit on the perfect part time writing job that would allow me to do some work from home and still raise my kids without paying my right eye and 8 fingers for daycare.

I'm stable, and my estimates are that I will remain stable for at least 2-3 more years before another crisis. After that, who knows? Better to start working out my back now.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Scary stuff! I'm glad you worked through it and found a floor in your online income. I'm also really impressed with your ability to earn a buck online, start losing it and get it right back again. My adventure in online income was a supernova of income for about 2 weeks which trailed off into the steady 3-5 bucks I make monthly at this point. No amount of effort on my part would ever make that rise.

I had wondered how you had been doing and how your second baby was doing. Good to see your doing well and looking forward to any updates!

simplex

Post by simplex »

Wow, this is good to hear. So you turned around the SEO strategy and had success.

Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Thanks for the update P2P. You've been a pretty big source of inspiration for me for ERE + kids. Just had my first one a couple weeks ago, but I'm unfortunately still 6 months away from pulling the plug.

Glad you got your income back in order!

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

Great journal p2p! I read through most of it and will be applying some of the things in my life, especially from the initial posts.

How are you doing these days I wonder?