Singvestor's awakening

Where are you and where are you going?
Gilberto de Piento

Re: Singvestor's awakening

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Hang in there singvestor. I wish you the best. Is the knee issue something you can work on and maybe improve, or is it permanent?

singvestor

Monthly update #71: May 2021

Post by singvestor »

Thank you, Viktor and Gilberto! April was a bit of a low point, but in May/June I managed to improve things. Feeling a lot better, especially now that I restarted the sport program.

Monthly life improvement update:

I decided to tackle the issues mentioned in the last post by trying to change habits.
Still doing too little sports, but have ramped up efforts again in the second half of May.

The biggest improvement was that I joined a small environmental NGO, which I liked very much. I can use my specific skills to help them and it has been a very inspiring time for me, working on a big project and interacting with a different type of people from my work. I enjoy the purpose, but also the creation and interaction.

At work I decided to take it easy. I only do the important things and now can work 35-40 hours a week instead of 60. Feels great! I keep looking for things to make my work day more efficient and now that Europe is starting the summer break, I will slack off happily.

Spending and saving rate

In May I spent SGD 2,738 - a rather cost-efficient month.

My saving rate in May was 82% - thanks to the higher income because of a yearly bonus. The bonus payout was much smaller than previous years, but I am lucky to receive a bonus in the first place.

Portfolio development

In February my portfolio increased from SGD 746,347 to 771,514 (~USD 581,300). Fresh investments of SGD 22,610 were supported by gains of SGD 5,185.

Dividends received

My holdings paid out SGD 1,005 of tax free dividends.

Asset allocation

Hypothetical income at 4% WR

SGD 2,572 - I am reaching a level where it is imaginable that I could survive without working.

When can I retire?

Things are going in the right direction.

Outlook

Feeling a lot better than last month. Got first shot of vaccine, feeling hopeful that parts of normal life can resume. At the same time dreading the idea of going back to the office, after fully remote work for 1.5 years I am quite used to it.

singvestor

Monthly update #72: June 2021

Post by singvestor »

Monthly life improvement update

The sports program is going well.

Volunteering at the NGO is very fun and fulfilling.

In a wild turn of events I have been talking to an interesting startup in the medical field and it seems I might join them as a consultant for a few days each month. Fingers crossed!

Life suddenly got a lot more interesting.

Spending and saving rate

In June I saved an ok 67% of my income and spent SGD 4,172. Quite an expensive month, including quite high costs for my car (SGD 822). I have a cheap car, but taxes, inspections, parking... etc add up. Lifestyle redesign would definitely go hand-in-hand with a carfree lifestyle.

Portfolio development

In June my portfolio increased from SGD 771,514 to SGD 790,044 (~USD 580,000). Fresh investments of SGD 9,947 were supported by gains of SGD 8,583.

Market is unreal, I sold my DBS shares to reduce individual shares in my portfolio. Holding quite a lot of bonds and cash to reduce risk in this frothy market. March 2021 I gambled nearly all my bonds into stock, now I have built my bond allocation back up with fresh investments. Market timing, but it worked.

Asset allocation

Dividends received

My holdings paid out SGD 956 of tax free dividends.

When can I retire?

In the end it all boils down to this chart.

Hypothetical passive income at 4% WR is SGD 2,633 - it is getting to a point where I could potentially survive off the passive income if needed.

Outlook

I have been in the office three days in the last 17 months. The thought of putting on a suit, shining shoes, sitting in traffic for half an hour only to do video calls with my international team from the office seems even more absurd than before.

8 more months of Europe assignment to go… These days I often wonder if I should really go back to Singapore afterwards. I miss Singapore so much, but the job waiting for me there is not that exciting. My portfolio is quite large and I could supplement the passive income quite easily… I am leaning towards some lifestyle redesign with more freedom.

I will use the next eight months to continue investing heavily and after a potentially huge bonus in April (business booming) I should have a large enough portfolio to take some lifestyle design risks and leave the standard employee life behind at age 40. Fingers crossed!

JollyScot

Post by JollyScot »

Isn't one of the key benefits of Singapore the far less onerous tax treatment for just about anything but consumption. I seem to remember that your Europe role has the tax treatment equalised for you. That is not a particularly normal thing to happen.

So if you were to choose to work in Europe longer term then the taxes really begin to bite if you are on the consulting route. I am trying to wind down my hours and stop the full time working. Watching 60% walk out the door every paycheck ends up making you more bitter. It is probably why most taxes are "at source" now. It will stop everything from thinking about it.

Out of sight out of mind.

You probably need to consider what your gross work is worth to your company. If you consider staying in a high tax place to work. As you will need a higher number than you think to keep take home income high. Especically as a consultant.

singvestor

Monthly update #73: July 2021

Post by singvestor »

Jollyscot, you are right, the special tax deal has made my assignment so great. I have started working a bit as a consultant as a side job, mostly because the topic is interesting. They asked for my daily rate and I just gave them a very high number to match my current net salary after 55% tax.

The sports program is still on track, but weight has increased by 1 kg, because of eating too much.

My part time consulting gig is very exciting so far, earning money is only a welcome side effect. In August I will create my first bill, the income should show in September.

The ramp up costs for my company (renaming, initial tax consulting and so on) came with quite a bit of costs. As a fulltime option the current setup would not work, but as a sidegig I will end up with a few thousand after tax extra a month.

Spending and saving rate

In July I saved an ok 67% of my income, just like in June. Unfortunately, I spent SGD 6,190. 20% of this amount was spent on gifts for parents’ birthdays etc. Generally speaking, an expensive month...

Portfolio development

In July my portfolio increased from SGD 790,044 to SGD 791,550 (USD 581,900). Fresh investments of SGD 10,675 were offset by paper losses of SGD 9,169.

Asset allocation

All on track.

Dividends received

My holdings paid out SGD 1,922 of tax free dividends.

When can I retire?

A lot more effort to reduce expenses is needed.

Outlook

August is nearly too exciting at this moment… Consulting gig, normal job and volunteering at the same time means that I have absolutely no time to do anything else. I asked for a six month sabbatical while waiting for my new job in Singapore to begin. Boss was supportive and the sabbatical will hopefully start in March next year.

singvestor

Monthly update #74: August 2021

Post by singvestor »

In August I started a long road trip vacation, using three weeks of paid time off. The vacation has been great and I stopped thinking about work on day 1. During the vacation I have been working a few hours here and there for my consulting sidegig and it has been quite fun.

Spending and saving rate

In August I only managed to save 54% of my income. I spent SGD 5,593, out of which SGD 1,233 was spent on the business. First income for my business will be received in September.

Portfolio development

In August my portfolio increased from SGD 791,550 to SGD 797,295 (USD 594,000). Fresh investments of SGD 8,710 were offset by paper losses of SGD 2,965.

Asset allocation

All on track.

Dividends received

My holdings paid out SGD 1,396 of tax free dividends.

When can I retire?

Need to reduce expenses as usual.

Outlook

In September I will have to go back to the office three days a week. After 1.5 years in home office I am dreading the idea of putting on a suit, driving for half an hour only to sit in an office and have video calls with my global team. The idea seems absurd. On the bright side my current contract is ending and I have just six months to go, until my sabbatical (hopefully!) starts.

singvestor

Monthly update #75: September 2021

Post by singvestor »

September was a great month… Went on an amazing trip to Italy that lasted over three weeks. Sometimes I worked a bit for my side gig, but most of the time I just explored various parts of Italy. I did not try to keep costs down very much and also used my own car instead of the much cheaper bus or train.

My European assignment is coming to an end at the end of next March. Company wants to post me back to Singapore, but I would rather join the exciting small company that I am now working for. Having a lot of fun plotting out the scenarios. Leaning towards moving back to Singapore to clear up tax residence and to get company bonus tax free and then quitting to move to a low cost / low tax country.

Going back to the office after not working there much for the last 1.5 years was very difficult and exhausting. It feels like total bullshit. At least I can work from home on Mondays and Fridays.

Spending and saving rate

In September I saved 58% of my income. As my side business received first payments, I have decided to take out the cash assets of my business and the business expenses, as they were messing up the calculations. I will treat the business as separate from myself.

If I pay myself income, then I will account for it as additional income. This is why I adapted the spending numbers for the year - I took out business expenses. So far I did not pay myself out any income - best avoid this while I am tax resident in Europe - taxes are nuts here.

In September I spent a ton of money, because of the lavish Italy trip. A significant portion of it went to restaurants. Generally I avoid eating out much these days, as I improved my cooking skills and the experience is often not so worth it for all the extra price. This is definitely different in Italy - the cooking is on another level and I am now inspired to work on my skills to replicate some of the food at home.

Overall I spent SGD 6,468 (= USD 4,763) in September. I would have been able to have a very similar experience at half the cost by just booking smarter, staying in cheaper places, taking the bus… In true ERE fashion I would have been able to do the similar trip on 20% of the cost by using bus promotions and by staying in hostels. I have to sharpen the ERE skills.

Portfolio development

In September my portfolio decreased from SGD 791,550 to SGD 785,474 (USD 578,300). Fresh investments of SGD 8,869 were offset by paper losses of SGD 12,690 and by taking out the cash assets of the company as part of the portfolio.

Asset allocation

All on track.

Dividends received

My holdings paid out SGD 1,010 of tax free dividends.

When can I retire?

I need to stop spending so frivolously.

Outlook

Autumn is coming and I am committed to enjoying my last six months here in Europe while planning my escape from standard corporate life.

singvestor

Monthly update #76: October 2021

Post by singvestor »

Started going to the gym again which feels amazing after a long time just doing bodyweight exercises at home. Due to rising Covid numbers our office returned to home office, which is a great relief.

Work at my second job is going great and I feel like I will get a job offer from them in December. Until then it is a well paid sidegig, so good either way. I have neglected the NGO I am working for a bit - need to squeeze in some time.

Spending and saving rate

In October I saved 67% of my income.

Overall I spent SGD 4,417 (= USD 3,277) in October. Various gifts to family members made up nearly 19% of the total spending. This includes some shares I bought for my godson. He is three years old now and I will hand him over his portfolio at 18 years old. I am investing while he is still young and while I still have my well paid job.

Portfolio development

In October my portfolio increased from SGD 785,474 to SGD 804,579 (~USD 597,000). Fresh investments of SGD 10,604 and gains of SGD 8,501 contributed. This marks the first time that my portfolio exceeds SGD 800,000 and the classic lean financial independence target of USD 600,000 is so close now.

Asset allocation

Pretty much on track

Dividends received

My holdings paid out SGD 1,800 of tax free dividends.

When can I retire?

Outlook

I am reaching a level of hypothetical passive income, where “retiring” is more and more feasible.

My current hope is to get an offer from the sidegig and join them as a partner in their startup. Payment would probably be mostly in equity, but I could get rid of the car and easily cut some further costs. Finally I could put my theoretical ERE knowledge to some practical use.

Cushy expat assignment will still last till March next year - after this I could still get my bonus in April and then switch - fingers crossed that all goes well!

singvestor

Monthly update #77: November 2021

Post by singvestor »

Oh man, Christmas is over and only now do I post the November update... Just doing this to keep the my streak intact :)

Thanks to Covid we moved back to 100% home office at work. This allowed me to move to Southern Spain on a whim and work from there. The weather is dry and sunny and I love the lifestyle.

In Malaga airport visitors are greeted by these huge posters:

Smart advertising.

Spending in November

I saved 54% of my income, but spent SGD 6,453 (=USD 4,710). Crazy high spending, half of which for various plane tickets and a 6 weeks of temporary apartment in Spain.

Portfolio development

In November my portfolio increased from SGD 804,579 to SGD 807,022 (~USD 589,100). Fresh investments of SGD 13,968 and a decline of SGD 11,525 contributed.

Asset allocation

All good - maybe I need to buy some bonds soon.

Dividends received

My holdings paid out SGD 90 of tax free dividends. November tends to be by far the lowest dividend month for my portfolio.

When can I retire?

Outlook

I just have a few months left in Europe before I am supposed to return to Singapore at the end of March. My current hope is to join the exciting startup I have been working for as a consultant.

The startup income for this year I have not included in my calculations, as it will remain in my company for now.

It would be nice to have a job where I do not have to dream about escaping 24/7. Working at a relaxed pace on interesting challenges from anywhere in the world I like - pretty much an ideal lifestyle.

singvestor

Monthly update #78: Full year 2021

Post by singvestor »

Another year is over, time for an update post!

Portfolio development in 2021

In 2021 my portfolio increased from SGD 664,215 to SGD 821,181 (~ USD 610,500). Fresh investments of SGD 118,332, capital gains of SGD 31,944 plus reinvested dividends of SGD 14,690 contributed. My "side gig one man company" got its first real customer and I made some nice extra money, but I decided to separate the company cash accounts from my portfolio. That is reflected in the "company adjustment" item above. All my earnings are still kept in the company accounts.

So far, my portfolio increased strongly year after year as I stuck to the program of saving and investing.

Where did all the money go?

At the end of the year I love updating these charts and analyzing my yearly performance.

In relative terms, this is where my money went in 2021:

Income decreased for the first time ever - smaller bonus is mainly to blame. Also I got hit by the strong Singapore dollar vs. the Euro. I saved SGD 133,022, the second highest amount since I started and about 2.5 times the income I made in my first full year of work.

In relative terms my saving rate was 69%, narrowly missing my target of 70% minimum.

Spending too much money in 2021

In 2021 I spent SGD -57,734 (~USD -42,360). Travel spending made up for 30% of the total, mainly because I escaped the Winter by living in different parts of Spain for 3 months and because I traveled to Italy for 20 days or so.

Dividends in 2021

In 2021 I received SGD 14,690 in tax free dividends.

When can I retire at current spending?

Retirement is still quite a way off at current spending, as my portfolio would only support SGD 2,737 (~USD 2,035) of spending a month. If I subtract luxury spending (cleaning services and travel) and ridiculous spending (Uber) and sell my car, then things look better.

“Lean” Financial Independence: what comes next?

With USD 600,000 invested I reached what is often called “Lean” Financial Independence. Even when using a more conservative WR of 3.5% the Portfolio would support a yearly income of USD 21,000.

Thanks to Wolf we have the inflation adjusted spending for Jacob’s original spending that equals 1 Jacob to USD 9,413 yearly spending.. This means I am currently at 2.2 Jacob Fi and I could still retire if I was half as good at ERE as Jacob is. Of course I spent 4.5 Jacobs in 2021 even though I got free housing.

Conclusion: obviously it is time for lifestyle redesign. Am currently preparing a different approach to life, I hope it will work out. If it does, I will finally put the ERE teachings to some proper use.

singvestor

Monthly update 79&80: January & February 2022: in Limbo

Post by singvestor »

These days I am not so focused on the portfolio, but more worrying about the geopolitical situation and people in the Ukraine. In less than a month I will be back in Singapore, seems surreal.

My current assignment in Europe is coming to a close. I am in negotiations with an interesting company here in Europe and at the same time also preparing for my move to Singapore.

Portfolio lost a lot of value, because of the Ukraine conflict. These are not times where I care about the portfolio so much. I feel really sad for our European neighbors in Ukraine.

The future seems really uncertain, which is why I did not create a yearly plan at all. I am waiting for my employment situation to be finalized. Right now I am planning to return home to Singapore in early April, to get my bonus and then maybe quit for the new opportunity in Europe, if it has materialized by then.

To keep the streak going, here the monthly reports:

January monthly report in a nutshell:

Money invested (including reinvested dividends): SGD 4,699
Saving rate: 34%
Gains loss: SGD -19,125
Portfolio value: SGD 806,755 (~USD 595,700)
Dividends received: SGD 169
Money spent: SGD -4,319

I could not save as much money as usual, as I had to buffer cash for my move to Singapore.

February monthly report in a nutshell:

Money invested (including reinvested dividends): SGD 7,019
Saving rate: 46%
Gains loss: SGD -14,306
Portfolio value: SGD 799,468 (~USD 590,000)
Dividends received: SGD 1,497
Money spent -SGD 5,640

Even though the company is helping, moving is proving stressful - selling the car, handing back the house, preparing what to keep, what to give away….

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K »

Strange times, but moving is a nice distraction and the start of a new adventure sounds nice. Stay safe singvestor

singvestor

Post by singvestor »

Thank you Viktor! Crazy times indeed! Stay safe as well!

singvestor

Monthly update 81: March 2022: restarting car free lifestyle

Post by singvestor »

Life updates March

In March my Europe assignment officially ended, but as my “employment pass” work visa is not yet approved, I get to stay in Europe a bit longer.

As my time in Europe is ending I also got rid of my car - thanks to generous company relocation subsidies and a crazy used car market I could sell it for nearly the same as I bought it five years ago.

Not having a car is a big relief, as I do not have to take care of it anymore. Mechanic visits, tire and oil changes, check engine light coming on, yearly car inspections, petrol stations, yearly taxes, car insurance - I am glad not having to deal with this anymore.

Excluding depreciation, having a car cost me about SGD 5,600 (~USD 4,100) last year - despite hardly driving it during mandatory home office periods.

As my Singaporean work permit is not ready and the new startup did not give me a formal offer I am still stuck in Limbo.

Portfolio in March

In March my portfolio dipped severely because of the Ukraine / Energy crisis, but gained back some ground towards the end of the month. The portfolio value slightly increased by SGD 3,369 to SGD 802,837. This was driven by fresh investments of SGD 9,643 and paper losses of SGD -6,274

Expenses

March was another high expense month, mostly because of moving costs. I spent SGD 5,794 (~USD 3,778) and managed a saving rate of 67%

Also I had to pay rent, something I have not done for 5 years now :)

Portfolio changes

I decided to optimize my portfolio, consolidating my positions. My plan is to further reduce REITs and picked stocks and put everything into accumulating index funds.

Outlook

Looking forward to when I finally have clarity on whether or not I will be able to move to Singapore or not. Hopefully, the formal offer from the startup will come soon and I can then only have 1 job. 2 jobs at the same time is tiring.

zbigi

Re: Monthly update 81: March 2022: restarting car free lifestyle

Post by zbigi »

singvestor wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:34 am

Excluding depreciation, having a car cost me about SGD 5,600 (~USD 4,100) last year - despite hardly driving it during mandatory home office periods.
OMG. I also hardly drive, but the yearly upkeep on my car here in Poland is only around $300 USD. The government in Singapore must hate cars.

chenda

Re: Monthly update 81: March 2022: restarting car free lifestyle

Post by chenda »

zbigi wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:45 am
The government in Singapore must hate cars.
Good! :D

singvestor

Post by singvestor »

These were the costs incurred for my car in Belgium, Europe. Singapore would have been more expensive...

Fueling the car, biannual tire changes, yearly inspection, yearly car maintenance, yearly taxes, parking etc and etc all came out to USD 4,100 last year. In Poland it should be cheaper, but depreciation is hard to escape anywhere

singvestor

Monthly update 82: April 2022: still in limbo

Post by singvestor »

Life updates April

I am still waiting for the final job offer in Europe from the startup and at the same time my Singapore visa for the current job has not come through. It is a weird situation. I am keeping the spirits up and enjoying the time as the situation develops.

On the bright side I exercised 19 days in April and did not drink any alcohol for 21 days, so KPIs overachieved.

Portfolio in April

In April my portfolio dropped further to SGD 772,343 (USD 557,131). Investments of SGD 6,334 were offset by paper losses of SGD 31,049. At the time of writing my portfolio sank even further to around SGD 750,000.

Expenses

In April I spent tons of money, SGD 5,401 to be precise. We went on a trip to France and had some nice dinners, plus it was also my wife’s birthday. Spending will have to be dramatically reduced to SGD 4,000 / month or below if I take the new startup job. Official saving rate was only 39%, as I do not count the money buffered into savings.

I have saved up about EUR 36,000 in cash so far (not counted in the Portfolio) to have a large cushion to buffer the small salary from the Startup, should the contract come through.

Portfolio changes continue

I sold some picked stocks to buy index funds and the ESR - ARA Logos merger simplified my portfolio further. I also built up a position in the Lion-OCBC Securities Hang Seng Tech ETF, as Chinese tech stocks in HK are on discount.

Outlook

Fingers crossed that the startup contract will come finally, I am exhausted from working 2 jobs at the same time and also feel like I am only doing a mediocre job at each of them…

singvestor

Monthly update 83: May 2022: fifth losing month in a row

Post by singvestor »

Life updates May

In May I was still stuck, waiting for my offer from the startup. It has now been received. I hired a specialized law firm to check it, as it is 20 pages of legal language which I cannot fully understand despite trying rather hard. The cost for this is just EUR 900 - which I will pay from my company.

Portfolio in May

In May my portfolio increased slightly to SGD 781,357 (~USD 568,400). Investments of SGD 12,633 were offset by paper losses of SGD 9,398. This marks the fifth consecutive month of losses.

Expenses

In May I spent SGD 4,004. Most of it on ridiculous things, for example SGD 950 on eating out. This will have to dramatically change once I quit my cushy corporate job. Total monthly budget including accommodation will then just be SGD 3,800 and I then need to embrace frugal living.

Portfolio allocation

All is on track, maybe a bit light on bonds.

Outlook

Mid-June I will talk to my boss about ending my employment with the current company. Fingers crossed that this topic can finally be closed and I can then ride off into the sunset.

singvestor

Monthly update 84: June 2022 - getting close to the end

Post by singvestor »

Life updates June

Offer from the European startup is finalized, now I am in the midst of the exit negotiations with my current employer. Sadly this means that I will not return to Singapore. As my employment permit was not approved by the Singaporean authorities, it is probably anyway better this way.

Portfolio in June

In June I finally received my performance bonus for last year. HR had some issues, so it was paid out in June instead of April. In Hindsight this turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as I could invest it all at an ~8% lower price.

In June my portfolio increased from SGD 781,357 (~USD 568,400) to SGD to SGD 820,557 (~USD 587,700). Investments of SGD 64,929 were offset by paper losses of SGD 25,729. Six consecutive months of losses for my portfolio with no end in sight.

Expenses

In June I spent SGD 3,738. The biggest expense was hiring a law firm to check the contracts with the startup, which cost SGD 1,560, as well as renting a car SGD 580. Without these expenses, spending was reasonable.

My hypothetical income at 4% WR is now SGD 2,735 - not so bad!

Portfolio allocation

All is on track, maybe a bit light on bonds.

Imagef

Outlook

In July I should receive the exit contract from my current employer. Afterwards I will get a tiny salary, amounting to <20% of my current compensation. To make up for this, I will receive a good chunk of equity in the startup. Might be worth a lot, or nothing in the end, we will see!

Once this is done, my current journal can come to an end and I will start a more ERE worthy one. I can then finally start putting my ERE knowledge into practice, using some creative tricks to minimize costs and maximize learning, development and enjoyment