inchicago's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Miss Lonelyhearts

Re: inchicago's journal

Post by Miss Lonelyhearts »

Wasn't ragging on any grocery habits in particular - I was just at WF the other day and it was the most expensive store I could think of. I meant also to recommend PedalToPetal's journal if you haven't seen it already. He has some info on getting free fat and rendering lard, although his SO does the soap making iirc.

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

I agree: Whole Foods is probably one of the most expensive stores out there but I do enjoy shopping there. Thanks for the tip! I'll check out PedalToPetal's journal.

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

My savings rate for the month of July was 21%. The low savings rate was because of the following bills I had to pay: property taxes, State of IL car license renewal, and some home maintenance (still need the AC unit cleaned and the plumber to come out and fix the bathtub). We also took a trip to New Mexico to visit a friend. I had a “travel fund” so I didn’t really need to worry about that.

August expenses won’t be as bad: I need a new blind for the living room as it’s hanging off the window by a couple of threads and need to get the AC/heating unit serviced plus pay the condo insurance.

I read an article earlier this month about how baby boomers have very little money saved and many are living in homes in the suburbs which will be a problem for them later down the line, since those houses are not made for older folks and they come with a lot of maintenance. That whole thing is very scary. I don’t want to be old and worry about money like that. You spend your whole life working, (well, most people do), and you would certainly expect it would all be worth it. One health problem can wipe out a large sum of money so it’s important to start saving as early as possible and taking good care of oneself.

I have really dived into studying data analytics. I think this will be a great new career for me, mainly because it’s something I halfway decent at, it’s interesting, the pay is good, and there are openings. Convincing someone to hire me, well, I’ll need to figure that out after I learn what I need to learn. My goal is to get a new position by next February in data science. Yes, I know I said I was going to try and aim for that pension but it’s affecting my health and if I get paid more, I can always invest it and come out with the same result. I read an article not too long ago, and the summary of it was basically: if you want to get paid more, provide more value. Coursera has some excellent classes which I plan on taking. I’ve taken free classes before but for these I think I will pay for the certificate since they are relatively cheap and I may need them in the future to prove I really am educated although I’d hope my experience would speak for itself. Combined with my MBA and PMP, I’m really hoping I can get something good and interesting. And let’s hope the economy keeps pace as well. However, I did learn recently that at my work place a position opened up which is about $120k. That’s a lot more $ than I make now so even though I’m not thrilled by still working there, I think I’m going to mention my interest. I do have a really good shot at it.

I still continue to read and learn about real estate investing. We have a mentor. We bought our first two small properties this past month. We are now working on

Books I read this month:
1. The Happiness Track
2. The Accidental (fiction for book club)
3. The Bad-Ass Librarians of Timbuktu
4. Investing for Dummies

Six month goals:
1. Start small business. I already have my idea; I just need to find my first customer.
2. Buy a rental unit.

Longer term goals:
1. Make more $. I have begun on this step by writing out my small business plan. I’m going to start out very small on this so I don’t have to borrow money.
2. Write a book.

Other thoughts:
1. Rome was not built in a day.
2. I so want to retire early. Like yesterday.
3. I’m much more committed to FI than I have ever been.

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

My savings rate for the month of August was 48%. The savings rate would have been higher but there were a few bills I had to pay this month which included some home maintenance which was having the AC and heating unit cleaned. (Still need the plumber to come out and fix the bathtub and condo insurance needs to be paid next month.) I had a professional resume writer create a new resume, cover letter and LinkedIn profile for me. I consider this an investment in the future. I hope to always save 50% and will aim for 60% or higher.

I have now managed to get my money to where I save one payment per month and the other paycheck is for expenses, etc. So now out of 24 paychecks per year, I will save/invest 12 of them. That’s saving/investing over $26,000/per year with very little effort on my part! I think if I really, really stretched myself, I could get up to $30,000/per year in savings + my 401k savings bringing the total to about $36,500!

I believe I’ve began to cross over to the dark side. I’ve been questioning every purchase I make. Do I really need that magazine subscription? It’s $24! Don’t I have enough to read? And on and on and on…a side effect of the ERE program, perhaps?

I noticed that I started bargain hunting. Not extreme, but enough to notice something. I was at Walgreens and was looking at toilet paper and determining which brand would be better to buy vs. the sales that week. Normally, I’d just grab the one I usually buy but the other brand seemed equally good (and has turned out to be) and I saved $4 by buying three of them vs. two of the others. Not bad! I noticed I also did this for Tylenol, although my determination was waiting until the next sale.

I’ve been incorporating a lot of vegetables juices into my every day. I’ve lost five pounds so far in one week. While the grocery costs will go up, this is an investment in my health. Plus, there will be less eating out expenses.

Eating out savings in a perfect ERE world:
• No tea drinking on the weekends: $45 (for two people)
• No tea drinking while at work: 20 days x $4/per day=$80
• No eating out on the weekends: $100 (for two people)-already had this one covered!
• No lunches while at work: $100
• Total savings for one month: $325

My guess is cutting out all that stuff is probably going to make a huge difference on my health, when you think of all that extra salt and sugar I was consuming. I’ve cut out chocolate and soy. Those were huge. Now the last hurdle is tea lattes.

I also have begun making my own conditioner out of apple cider vinegar and water. It’s amazing for detangling.

I went to Utah earlier in the month for a conference for work. I have never been there, and I didn’t have to work, so it was a nice to get an all-expenses paid trip for four days. I saw the mountains and ate really healthy (on someone else’s dime!).

Books I read this month:
1. Dead Wake
2. Big Data MBA: Driving Business Strategies with Data Science
3. How to Say Anything to Anyone
4. How to Talk About Places You’ve Never Been
5. Food and the City
6. Easy R Programming for Beginners

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

I enjoy watching you win! Keep it up.

What did it cost / was involved in getting the resume re-done? I recently learned I am _terrible_ at this, and have been fortunate to find work despite my awful resume, not because of it. I had no idea.

For me personally, constructing savings goals as "I'll say no to X" results in later binging on X. My will power is weak, it runs out, then all that denial has to be satisfied. I have much more luck with replacement behaviors, where I am working towards more immediate gratification or a new identity.

Example - I want to take a 15 minute lunch in the cafeteria, so I can go home 30 minutes earlier. I'll have to bring lunch to do it.

Example - I'm going to spend my lunch on M-Th getting better at data analytics, because that ensures a regular practice of learning. I'll have to eat at my desk to make it happen. I'll still go to lunch with my team once a week to build relationships, because that will make it easier to get more money and references..

Especially for the later example, I find people are much more supportive of this type of attitude. You're a hard worker who's just trying to get ahead, not someone who's being cheap and unreasonably denying themselves.

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

Hi Scott 2, thanks for the response. :) The resume writing was not cheap. $350 for the whole deal. One lady wanted to charge me $2400 for the LinkedIn profile alone. The resume writers had different packages so $350 was the top package. I was told my resume was really good, but it wasn't taking me to the next level. This month, I need to try out the new resume and see if my investment was worth it. I am a pretty good resume writer but every five or so years, I get professional help with it.

I have been doing yoga and going to the mini gym on my lunch breaks, when I actually get to take them. I rarely go out with my co-workers at lunch. They usually just turn into whine and gossip sessions, anyway, which isn't that interesting. Plus, I work in a very expensive area, where a wrap with vegetables is almost $11! It's more my motivation to make things that is the issue. After working all day, I'm so exhausted when I get home, I don't want to do much. I'm working on this, though, with the juices and looking at exercising a little more.

Sometimes during my lunch, I'll practice language or read a book. I do this a lot more when the weather gets cold. No one wants to go out once it gets so cold so I'm always prepared with my lunch then. :)

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

If the resume works, 350 is very reasonable. 2400 for a linked in page is excessive!

I worked in the loop for a year. I agree it gets very expensive eating out. It's great you have a place in building to workout.

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K »

inchicago wrote: I’ve been thinking a lot of what I want after FI is reached. Here are some ideas I’ve been throwing around:
• Living somewhere internationally where it’s cheaper.
• Moving to a much smaller city and living outside of it and spending 2-3 months in another country for part of the year.
• I really want a place which is close to a halfway clean source of water to go swimming in.
Hi, I'm still catching up on your journal and am going to subscribe here in a minute! I was reading your journal while at work today and just found it so interesting :) I like the way you think and write! And this quote from you just really resonated with me, especially the part about a body of water. Where I grew up (Texas), there wasn't much to do besides go to a bar and get drunk, but if you were feeling really adventurous you would up the ante and go get drunk on a river, or at a lake. Man, nothing beats a nice cool dip in the river! I moved to Colorado after high school, and there was just this little freezing cold creek! It was nice and there were a couple small swimming holes, but if you wanted to tube down it, you would be walking most of it! Now, I'm in a desert and there's only this man-made lake nearby which all the locals claim is totally filthy :( .

Anyways I don't want to comment on too much else as I'm still catching up but thanks for all you've shared so far!

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

Hi Scott 2-yes, agreed. I'm kind of torn back and forth between spending time looking for a new job or just sticking it out here. The thing that scares me is if we hit another nasty time like we did in 2008, then will I be stuck here. That frightens me. That's of course why FI is so important.

Thanks Viktor K! It's great to know I have a fan! Your post is making me want to jump in the nearest lake. Especially considering the awful, humid weather we have had the last couple of days. I always loved swimming as a kid, but here in the city the lakes are rather nasty and the beaches crowded. The beaches get closed down every now and then because the bacteria levels are too high in them. Yuck! I loved going to Indiana Dunes, where the water was nice. Sadly, though, I think if I took my car that far, I'd have to say good-bye to it.

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

My savings rate for the month of September was 13%. I had to pay condo insurance and a fancy ball gown (annually for work). The dress ran me $300 with alterations. Now, I have three of these dresses and will start recycling them each year. It’s ridiculous to buy more since they are for a work event only once a year. I needed a new computer. My current computer was a very bad buy. I should never have gotten it. Problem after problem and it cost me more time in fixing it constantly than if I just bought a new one. I told myself that this month I wouldn’t bother with saving; just buy what I need and then I’ll be ready for next month.

I realized early in this month, the 4th to be exact, just how money I was rapidly wasting on eating out. By the 4th I had already spent $71! I had to go back through my records to see just where that came from: Starbucks, the local tea shop, lunch out at work before the weekend and buying dinner at the Italian place. When my husband and I walk the dog, it seems we always need to walk somewhere; having a purpose to the walk, rather than just walking. That was something I have to fix, to make our mindset of you can take a walk, it doesn’t need any other purpose and be sure to eat/drink something before taking the walk.

I wanted tasty things so here is what I made this month. (I made other things, but these were the new exciting things.):
1. Parsnip dumplings with toasted quinoa and kale salad
2. Mint tea (out of real mint leaves)
3. Chickpea and spinach tagine (in my clay pot)
4. Veggie kimchi ramen
5. Butternut squash soup

I’ve decided to challenge myself on my grocery/eating out budget. Okay, here’s my yearly spending so far on that. (Yes, totally transparency here, folks.)

January-$789.69
February-$886.75
March-$671.94
April-$921.81 (ouch!!!!!)
May-$642.14
June-$857.75
July-$654.24
August-$844.17
September-$899.27 (not good…)

Total (so far): $7,167.76 (O…M…G!!!!! This is getting close to what Jacob spends on EVERYTHING in a whole year!)

Now, that the shock has worn off (for me and you), back to my challenge idea. I’ve been browsing and reading several blogs focused on eating for two under $200. Only two or three years ago, I used to spend less than $200/per month for the two of us (and that included eating out every Friday evening). Not sure what happened. For October, I’m aiming for $275 (for groceries) and $150 (eating out) for the whole month. One of the issues I have is that I have a lot of food sensitivities. I can’t live off pasta or beans or I’ll get really, really sick.  I can eat a few nuts here and there and lots of fresh veggies and fruits. Rice is okay in moderation. I’ve also managed to find two cans of expensive matcha in the cabinet so with some almond milk, I will be having delicious green tea matcha lattes. I sat down, went through a few blogs on eating (very) healthy and saving money; mainly those for eating under $200/per month for two people. I made out some lists. Let’s see how it goes. So…got any awesome blogs for healthy eating…send them my way…quick!

In October, I’ll be going to DC (for work) and Vermont (to see the fall leaves, since I was not well enough last year to do so). This may challenge me a bit being with the eating out since I’m away from home and not in a cheap area, but that’s what challenges are for, right?

I signed up for a 6-week creativity class. I liked that it was close to me and I could use my bus pass. I need something to get out of this “job rut”. I’ve also downloaded a fitness and water app. I’m doing great with the water and slowly building up my strength and endurance with the fitness app. (I just couldn’t bring myself to pay for a gym membership so I found something I could do at home instead.).

I have also joined a photography group on meetup that is doing some fun (free!) things. I’ve always loved photography. This will get me out of the house, doing something I love and not spending money.

The last thing I did was to sign up for a martial arts class. While I only have about 15 pounds to lose, it has been nearly impossible for me. People tell me all the time I don’t need to lose weight but when you go from size 2 to size 6 in a couple of years, it’s time to take a serious look at the weight. I happened to meet some folks advertising at the local park for a martial arts class and they are very flexible in when I can come in which is very important to me due to my job requirements. I am not happy with how weak my body is, either, and I think this is going to help a lot. My first class was this Friday.

I upped my 401k contribution to 10%. I had it there for several years, but was somewhat disappointed by its lackluster performance of late (particularly last year and the beginning of this year) so I had lowered it down to 6%. With the upping to 10%, that will give me 13% with the match.

Books I read this month:
1. The Lonely City (book club selection)
2. The Monopolists (the story of the origins of the game Monopoly)
3. 42 Rules for Engaging Members Through Gamification
4. Membership Engagement
5. How to Get Promoted by Networking Like a Rock Star
6. American Ghost (local story about Santa Fe, NM)-I definitely recommend this one!
7. Growing a Feast (book club selection-about a guy who grows his own stuff, raises livestock and then makes a huge meal for everyone/takes one through the process)
8. Outlander (book club selection-apparently a TV series)

Other thoughts:
1. I’m really disappointed with my Lending Club account. I have about 200 notes in it. I think I’m just going to let everything go to cash and pull the money out. Even decent notes, or what I thought was decent when I bought them, “B” and “C”, seem to be defaulting now. Is this a sign of something coming?
2. I’m in the super busy season of my work. It’s always busy but now it’s even worse so I’ve been battling migraines all month.
3. I’m starting to do more stuff for myself. I don’t need to dedicate all my time to a job.
4. My husband and I are seriously considering a move in the next two years. We are looking at South Dakota now as I have a friend there. I will travel there in the spring of 2017. I’ll have a free room and meals and only have to come up with the plane ticket so not bad!
5. A friend of mind has been teaching me about stock trading. I’m still nervous about spending any money, but I will start with a $1,000 or so early next year and see how it goes.
6. It will be really nice when my husband is done with school and hopefully gets a real job in a year and a half. Then we can share some of the expenses (like groceries). He did get a part-time job so that helps.

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

A little late, but here's last month's update.

My savings rate for the month of October was 10%. My biggest expense was my side trip to Vermont and some new clothing I bought. However, it was worth it. I finally got to see the fall leaves and I enjoyed photographing them very much. The new clothing was for work and I certainly needed an upgrade with some of my clothes.

So how did I do on my grocery/eating out challenge? Not as great as I would have liked, but I think it’s going to be a process. I did get it $100 less than in prior months. That’s something but this is an area I need to get serious on.

Books I read this month:
1. Life Visioning
2. The Book of How
3. The Best American Travel Writing 2015

Other thoughts:
1. I realize I’ll never be an ERE’er. Which is fine with me. What the ERE book and forums has done for me is given me a solid plan to become FI. To take a lot of the worry away that I had about having to work forever.
2. There have been tons of stories on planes like Yahoo, etc., where folks are complaining how they cannot pay their student loan debt. I agree that tuition prices are out of control, especially for what you receive in return. However, when these folks complain and say they have gone on multiple vacation, etc., I can’t feel bad for them. It seems people these days don’t feel they should pay their debts first. Instant gratification.
3. I think this martial arts thing is bringing some benefits. Slightly more energy and no nappy on the weekend.

El Duderino

Post by El Duderino »

inchicago wrote: Other thoughts:
1. I realize I’ll never be an ERE’er. Which is fine with me. What the ERE book and forums has done for me is given me a solid plan to become FI. To take a lot of the worry away that I had about having to work forever.
2. There have been tons of stories on planes like Yahoo, etc., where folks are complaining how they cannot pay their student loan debt. I agree that tuition prices are out of control, especially for what you receive in return. However, when these folks complain and say they have gone on multiple vacation, etc., I can’t feel bad for them. It seems people these days don’t feel they should pay their debts first. Instant gratification.
3. I think this martial arts thing is bringing some benefits. Slightly more energy and no nappy on the weekend.

Hi inchicago, I enjoy reading your journal and following along. Also agree with your first point here; ERE has brought a similar understanding for me.

Out of curiosity, what martial arts are you doing?

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

Thanks El Duderino. :) I have begun karate. Also, doing kickboxing on alternate evenings when I can and work does not interfere (like this evening). I have always wanted to break boards with my hands but also I need to learn some self-defense. The world is a scary place. I can already feel a difference in not needing to sleep as much and feeling that I stand straighter when before I was very lazy in my posture.

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

My savings rate for the month of November was 2%. Big sad face. :( My biggest expenses were a vet trip to get three teeth removed for my dog for almost $750! The second thing was three new belts for my car and maintenance for the front brakes for a total of $394! I guess I shouldn’t complain too much about the car thing. The car will be 20 years old next year and I haven’t put a lot in it in repairs or maintenance. In the springtime, I’ll need another $250 worth of work, and if all goes well, that should be all for a while. November was a very tough month financially. However, I look forward to 2017 with optimism that I can reach the goals that I set out for myself for the year. Especially considering most of my old stuff has been replaced or repaired now. However, I still need to get the back brakes fixed and the brake fluid replaced on the car. I had seriously considered to buy a new car, but my father who uses everything until it falls apart made a good point. It’s only two car payments for repairs and then it’s done. There is only 53,000 miles on the car so my hope is I have a few more years in it.

In 2017, I will concentrate getting my spending down in the grocery/eating out category. If I could get that to under $500/per month. I’d be ecstatic! I remember a few years ago, I spent around $120/per month for myself. I figure to be on the safe side, $100/per week for groceries and another $100 to eat out. That seems fair.

All my other expenses are pretty nil. I get books for the library and have not renewed several of my magazine subscriptions. I haven’t bought magazines on the newsstands, either, especially since most magazines are $7+. I rarely spend money on clothing, although I will need a decent pair of sneakers this summer since I threw out the other two since they had lots of holes in them.

The truth is, though, I need to really pay attention to spending, more so than I have been doing. I need to stick with my automatically saving $2k every month (except on months where the property taxes are due).

My project for the month of December is to lay off the sugar. That means no chai lattes, which I think I’ve had too much of anyway since they are becoming boring to me. However, they sure are a nasty habit. I realize it’s the holidays but I think it’s a good time to start cutting out things that are bad for me. My health is better but nowhere at the levels that it should be and the only thing I can figure is it’s the sugar in those daily drinks. Tomorrow starts my first day. I know from experience that the first week is always hard. Now, I will stick with it once that first week had been accomplished. Plus, I’m guessing that saves me somewhere between $100-$200/per month. I know I’ve tried it before, but I truly thought that I could get healthier and keep that habit somewhat. Now, it looks like it’s not going to happen. I suppose it’s for the best.

Books I read this month:
1. Paris: The Novel
2. Ubuntu!
3. The Island of Lost Maps

Other thoughts:
1. After this month of bills and a bit of holiday spending, I am VERY eager to get back on track to FI. I’ve been thinking about it HARD for the past few days and I really want to get moving forward.
2. The focus of 2017 will be: health, exercise, learning investing, making some money in the real estate market and saving money.
3. I don’t know if I’m just getting old or what, but now when I travel, I feel it’s more of a hassle. All of the prep work and then dealing with airports, cabs, etc. Then there’s the travel back home, and the unpacking, etc. What I would really like to do, after I can “retire”, is spend 6 months+ in an area and maybe take a university class on architecture, or learn some of the language or cook a few special dishes wherever it is I’m staying. Spending over $1k for a week somewhere just seems ludicrous. It really does. Why this change of heart???!!!
4. I’m going to a project management career day in a week. I hope this will jumpstart me to find something where I’d enjoy going to work just a bit more than currently. I have never had such trouble before finding a job, and truthfully, I’ve pretty much given up this past six months, but now I feel if I can get the health situation under control, then just maybe, I’ll get the energy to try again.

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

Just to throw out some quick numbers:
Liabilities=$0
Assets=$250k

A few years ago, those would have been sad numbers indeed.

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

My savings rate for the month of December was 24%. In the middle of this month, the car wouldn’t start. I guess the battery and/or the engine was too cold so I had to get used to having no car. The good thing was that there was only a lose sparkplug and the car was cold and after a jump, it started right up. The roadside assistance guy said he had to tow tons of 2017 cars this past week so I’m happy my car was old.

In 2017, I will concentrate getting my spending down in the grocery, eating out category. If I could get that to under $500/per month. I’d be ecstatic! I remember a few years ago, I spent around $120/per month for myself. I figure to be on the safe side, $100/per week average for groceries and another $100 to eat out for the month. That seems fair.

All my other expenses are pretty nil. I get books for the library and have not renewed several of my magazine subscriptions. I haven’t bought magazines on the newsstands, either, especially since most magazines are $7+. I rarely spend money on clothing, although I will need a decent pair of sneakers this summer since I threw out the other two since they had lots of holes in them.

I’ve made up my budget for next year where my savings already in my “bill” money so that way I can be assured that I always save what I want to, with a large portion going towards cash savings, a couple hundred for stock investing and setting up a Roth IRA for myself.

I’m looking into Fundrise as a potential investment, but I’ve only put $1,000 in there this month to see how it goes. I’d rather stockpile cash right now until some of the investments come down in price. Lending Club has been a huge disappointment as of late. I guess folks need to pay for their holiday purchases rather than paying their bills.

I’m still doing martial arts and kickboxing, although the school has been closed this past week. I’m also going to focus on some energy protection and overall psychic ability exercises to get myself in a better mood and see things in a much more positive light than I have this past year.

Books I read this month:
1. The Geography of Genius
2. What the Lady Wants (A fiction book that I’m still not sure how ended up in my reading pile.)
3. Learn How to Increase Your Chances of Winning the Lottery (This was for fun, as I saw it on the Internet. It was pretty lame and didn’t give me any of the laughs that I was expecting.)
4. Maximum Influence
5. The Bible Didn’t Say That

Other thoughts:
1. After this month of bills and a bit of holiday spending, I am VERY eager to get back on track to FI. I’ve been thinking about it HARD for the past few days and I really want to get moving forward.
2. The focus of 2017 will be: health, exercise, learning investing, making some money in the real estate market and saving money.
3. I don’t know if I’m just getting old or what, but now when I travel, I feel it’s more of a hassle. All of the prep work and then dealing with airports, cabs, etc. Then there’s the travel back home, and the unpacking, etc. What I would really like to do, after I can “retire”, is spend 6 months+ in an area and maybe take a university class on architecture, or learn some of the language or cook a few special dishes wherever it is I’m staying. Spending over $1k for a week somewhere just seems ludicrous. It really does. Why this change of heart???!!! On the upside, I have enjoyed reading about travel. My favorite is reading travel memoirs before the age of social media such as those by Patrick Leigh Fermor who travels across Europe.
4. I really can’t wait until my husband finishes his degree, (one more year!), and gets a full-time job. That will help out immensely with reducing my portion of the bills since they will then be shared.
5. I think not having closets may be better for most. The reason why is that closets are just a good place to store stuff. During the holiday, we cleaned out the closets (we only have two) and the cabinets. It was amazing what I got rid of. I really like the minimalism look. Too much stuff hanging around makes me anxious and unable to concentrate.

2016 Summary:
1. Doing much better financially than 2015, but I still have a long way to go.
2. Debt free for over two years now!
3. My net worth rose around $20,000 this year.
4. Getting rid of the huge stack of books I had sitting there for years. I’m down to only four books left to read. (The fourth book I received as a Christmas gift.)
5. Will continue to look for a new job, but I won’t put a whole lot of effort in it.
6. Raw vegan is the best diet for me.
7. Exercise is good as well as getting out in nature.
8. My average savings rate was 26%/per month + 10% with the 401k = 36%.
9. Minimalism is good.
10. Figured out my FI date of December 1, 2029. (Edited: This is because I want to keep my current lifestyle and travel. I could make this before this date, but I know what I want.)

2017 Goals:
1. Learn to invest wisely in stocks.
2. Begin a Roth IRA.
3. Obtain a Yellow Belt in karate.
4. Continue strengthening psychic abilities.
5. Make some $ with small business.
6. Listen to more music.
7. Stick to savings/investing plan.
8. Stress less and quit volunteering for work projects and professional projects.
9. Make more crafts-embroidery, knitting, etc. (I have tons of stuff to make these without buying a thing.)
10. Get a few low maintenance plants to put in the house to bring the nature indoors.
11. Expand my friend circle. Most of the friends I had, which were very few, have moved away.
12. Focus more on what I want, not on what I don’t want.
13. Savings/investment rate at least an average of 40% of income per month (not counting the 401k).
14. Convince my husband to save more.

Anyway, I hope everyone has a great New Year and 2017 is awesome for all of us!

Edit should be: 2016 net worth climbed by about 45k because of the rise in price of my condo, not almost 20k (which only counted cash savings and 401k contributions).
Last edited by inchicago on Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Are you intending to fund a Roth for 2016, ahead of tax time, to use that eligibility as well?

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

No, I'm starting for 2017 so every month I will be putting aside so much money to fund it until I hit the max. Then, I will continue doing this every year I can.

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

I wonder if anyone runs into this, that you think about buying something for a holiday or special occasion, and then think, "Where am I going to store it until next year?" It's a good deterrent from buying impulse items or things that will only be used twice a year.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

We gave away most of the holiday stuff, for that very reason. Not dealing with it is a big time saver as well.

I just noticed the 2029 FI date - very doable. My guess is you'll be surprised how quickly the wealth snowballs and beat this by a good margin. With 5-10 years saved, life can no longer throw you around financially. Both earnings and savings take off as a result of the stability/power.