Crazylemon's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Crazylemon

Re: Crazylemon's Journal

Post by Crazylemon »

Nice update things are all going well

Work

Job is great. Even more grateful patients wanting to thank me in writting :D
But I am starting to get bored of the rotation as the learning curve is flattening. Final month I am not working many days though thanks to a combination of annual leave, study leave, and time in lieu so March should be good.

Life

Going well. Partner occasionally would complain about me making us tour a few supermarkets as I know various ones have different things at significant discount (he goes along with it but points out if it was up to just him he would just go to the nearby posh store only). So I suggested we comparison shop the Shiny posh shop with my method and if the difference is minor we can consider just going there. He agreed. The difference was 50% more expensive. So he was sold on my method and grudgingly accepted it was worth it :mrgreen:
I mean he isn't a bad saver by any stretch, certainly compared to our age group. Maybe one day he will get ERE but he loves his work to much at present to consider alternatives.

Weather being unseasonably good has meant more impromptu bike rides.
Lots planned with friends further away but having looked at the community thread I always feel I could be doing more here!

Fitness

Came to the conclusion SS was not the problem. Me not doing the program was the problem. I wasn't eating enough. Add in sleep deprivation from regular nights and lots of cycling I was doomed to early stagnation. So increasing calorie intake and have seen some results already. Deadlift is at just over 2x bodyweight for my work set which has been satisfying. Other exercises are slightly less impressive. Hopefully they get better.

Expenses

Groceries £63.32
Eating Out £4.50
Travel £50.00
Phone £7.50
Gym £29.95
Amazon £48.00
Dental £30.00

Total Saving Rate 69% so Not too bad but not the best month either. Not much to cut here more than half of travel was an annual railcard.

Internet
Getting better and this time has been generally transmuted in to reading which is preferable

Finances

I have looked at my income for the year and I am in to the higher rate tax bracket, just. So I am going to have to open up a SIPP this year one year earlier than expected which is a good problem to have. But, it means I will have to do self assessment probably doubling the time it takes to do my taxes which is rather annoying.

Finally hit £100k! Hurrah!
It has been a long time coming thanks to Mr Market. Feels good.

Chris

Post by Chris »

Crazylemon wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:25 pm
So I suggested we comparison shop the Shiny posh shop with my method and if the difference is minor we can consider just going there. He agreed. The difference was 50% more expensive. So he was sold on my method and grudgingly accepted it was worth it
It's good to have a partner who is persuaded by data! Grudgingly or not.

Crazylemon

Post by Crazylemon »

@Chris yes it is. Although in this case it doesn't stop the complaining just changed the nature to wishing this wasn't so. Half win.

I can't complain because there have been other big wins in getting him to do a bike commute. The more emotional and less analytic arguments that align with desires seem to be more effective. So improved fitness/actually enjoying the commute were more effective than cost savings for this one (which are currently somewhat non existent due to purchasing a very shiny new bike which needs to now pay for itself in reduced fares).

Same with de-cluttering and buying less stuff. I have tried to get him to read Marie Kondo for ages - but no luck for 'fear of agreeing'. I put on the show and that sparked within a week moved to get rid of a lot of unused clothes etc.

bigato

Post by bigato »

Crazylemon wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:33 am
I have tried to get him to read Marie Kondo for ages - but no luck for 'fear of agreeing'.
Fear of agreeing? That one is new. Do people really think like that or is it just an excuse?

Crazylemon

Post by Crazylemon »

@bigato

I think it is more a shorthand for being worried I would expect him to agree with it regardless of actually doing so. Or maybe that it might precipitate more tidying which is probably his most hated household chore. I doubt it is to be taken completely literally.

Crazylemon

Post by Crazylemon »

Been rather a longer time than I had planned in updating.

Work

Back in hospital for work so more hours which are also of higher intensity and less sociable. Hopefully for one more year only. Generally unsatisfying and feeling how I did a couple of years ago. Funny how an understaffed system doing work you don't particularly enjoy can do that. Shame because I have just had 4 months of rewarding work in primary care and have now returned to feeling like an overworked cog with no autonomy. I just have to endure to get to the end of the treadmill.

Having to prepare for an exam in the next couple of months doesn’t help either and means more time spent on work related activities.

Life

Brother’s diagnosis has been sadly confirmed as terminal. This has obviously altered priorities and so a lot more time has been spent with family and in the now.
I have also thus dropped the saving rate from 80-60% to about 60-50% for most months mainly spent of travel and events. Which I am completely fine with especially as I don’t think I am at a point where I would want to quit outright but just reduce hours after training (I can drop to 60% time post training and have the same pay as my final year of training, even fewer hours if I locum rather than take a substantive post). This gives additional security over relying on paper assets while also being something I like doing provided sufficient independence/ autonomy. My only concern is that the NHS seems to be heading down the route of further and further rationing by protocol that it might have to look at private practice. Which leaves a slightly bitter taste in my mouth.

Fitness

Feel like I am mainly treading water/making slow improvement but I am content with this for now.

Finances

143k ex work pension. Well past the point of FU money

Augustus

Post by Augustus »

I am really sorry to hear about your brother. Life is short, if savings rate is good enough by all means alter priority and use the money for what it's for: improving your quality of life.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I'm so sorry about your brother, Crazylemon.

EMJ

Post by EMJ »

So sorry to hear about your brother.