What would you do?

Where are you and where are you going?
Chad

Post by Chad »

If you are trully committed to ERE then the choice is obvious....B.
If you don't like construction type work then A.
C is the worst of both worlds.

aquadump

Post by aquadump »

This Barry Schwartz TED video won't solve your problem, but I think it is related.
http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/93

RightClawSouth

Post by RightClawSouth »

I'll throw in a second vote for akratic's option D...

gibberade

Post by gibberade »

Option E: Travel
Not the typical method of travelling! That is, hop on airplane, take a cab to the hotel, see this sight, watch this, rush over to another site, etc.

Nope, that's too mundane. I need an adventure. I want to experience other cultures. For example: hitchhike rather than airplane. CouchSurf rather than hotels. No plan rather than a perfectly laid out but totally inflexible plan. I think you get my drift.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@gibberade - Although the urge to travel seems almost genetic in strength, I would resist this and travel in a useful manner. Do it after you learn a skill and travel with the skill.

gibberade

Post by gibberade »

I see where you're coming from. It'd be more comfortable travelling if you are in a steady financial/education position.

But I must say travelling is getting harder to delay. Especially since some buddies of mine want to go.

gibberade

Post by gibberade »

By the way, I'm not leading towards travelling.
I'm inclined towards becoming an electrician and taking over the company. This opportunity is just golden.
I may get the degree first though.

aquadump

Post by aquadump »

It sounds like you have plenty of great opportunity ahead of you!
Is there some kind of club at your school that you can get in, to learn ERE skills? Mine had a robotics club which may get you a different look in future work, without money costs.
Some of my greatest satisfactions are in secondary activities. At my current work, I get to spend the Man's money on health activities -- i.e. Bike to Work Day, the periodical corporate health programs, etc. -- even though it's < 1% of my "time."

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@gibberade - Like education, traveling also has its "age group"---generally people in their early to mid twenties.
I know someone who spent practically all of her twenties traveling. She essentially "grew out of it" when she found that similar backpackers were getting to be 10 years younger than her and had different ideas of fun. Now the problem, having started college in her early thirties, is that she's one of the "oldies" and essentially suffers the same problem. Conversely, those at a similar age to her are mostly established with children, mortgages, and careers. This is a socially tough proposition albeit not an impossible one.
I think my point is not to do anything that would be a developmental stand-still (like tourism or nonskilled volunteering) for too long. This is why I recommend traveling with a skill. You get to travel AND you're doing something.

gibberade

Post by gibberade »

True that Jacob. Initially I was a little skeptical of your anti-travel leanings, but that argument & anecdote does make sense.
Plus, who wants to travel knowing they have an uncertain future? It'd be far more pleasant with a secure future.
on a humorous note

http://i.imgur.com/MZheH.png

gibberade

Post by gibberade »

Ya, rePete, there definitely is. I'm getting involved, but often exams get in the way. Booo. That's why I'm not going into the honours program... I like my free time.

shop teacher

Post by shop teacher »

Hey Gib,
Here's my 2 cents. When I was your age I had a similar choice. I wanted to learn a trade and I wanted to get a degree. I must admit I love learning.
My favorite part of university was meeting new friends and learning lots of new concepts/skills. Pretty much the same for the trades except that was a little more repetitive.
What I chose to do worked well for me. I would work the trades for a year...live like a student with roommates or in my RV and save up a bunch of money. The next year I told my employer that I was going to go to school for a year and I would like to work for them if needed after my year in school.I ended up working for the same contractor for several years.
Then I would go to school paying cash and focusing on school 8 hours a day and having fun the rest...actually I usually had a side thing going just because I like working part-time.With that plan I got good grades, plenty of time for social and wasn't stressed. Variety is the spice of life.
It took me from 18 to 27 to get my 4 year degree, a wife and my skills in the trades I wanted.
I found that I fit in fairly well when I was in my early to mid 20's in university. In fact it was a social smorgasbord compared to the trades each time I went back to school. At universitiy I had a much better chance in meeting my "ideal" mate since I wasn't the barhopping type.
Now I use both my degree and my trades experience teaching my students. But that's another topic.
I would do it exactly the same way if I was to do it again....So put me down as the lone "C" picker...Good luck.

firefighter

Post by firefighter »

Put me down also for option C'
I'd make school my number 1 priority,

but maybe 1-2 days a week, summer breaks etc

work what you can with your dad and learn

the trade. That's too good an opportunity

to completely pass up.
The combination of both skill sets will serve

you very well later on.

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

C is attractive to me, since you can try out either lifestyle. You get the benefit of working and probably not going into debt for school.
I don't know that you'll ever answer the question "Is this what I want to do with my life." I've been struggling with that for awhile now and decided it is too much pressure. I'm focusing on a 5-year plan instead, and I'm 35. There's no way I could have picked my life's direction at your age (assuming you are in late teens/early 20s).

chemkrafty

Post by chemkrafty »

I'd do option B and aim to be FIRE as quickly as possible. Then even if you hate it, you're done and free to do anything you want and you won't be strapped down by debt or by "needing" a degree. I'm not complaining about being an engineer (one of the few college paths worthy of a degree in my mind), but the advantage of not starting out in debt, not losing 4 years of earning potential, and potentially having the option to have your own business is immense. If you don't like it, power to FIRE and do something else or hire people to do the electrical work and just run the business.
As for knowing what to do with your life...HA HA. Who's life plans have ever turned out?? I just turned 30 and I still don't know what I really want to do in my career/life. You'll always wonder and think something else may have been better. That's why I'm aiming for FIRE...the ability to experiment without jeopardizing my financial future!