simplicity homework- a journal

Where are you and where are you going?
shade-tree

Re: simplicity homework- a journal

Post by shade-tree »

Exciting news-- we paid off the mortgage! I sort of feel like I won the lottery and should quit my job, butmaybe I'll hold off a bit.

I'm reading a book called *Living High: An unconventional biography.* by June Burn. She's talking about many of the topics we like here, but in 1940. It's fun to read about her life and inspiring, too. Reminds me of my grandmother, who was an awesome saver of breadbags and maker of green beans.

I think if I model my life after my grandparents frugal, yet abundant lifestyles, (minus the toxic garden pesticides and unfiltered Camels) I'd be living lightly on the planet and saving for the future, too.

shade-tree

Post by shade-tree »

Sorry, I've been away a while. What prompted me to log on today is that I just read a book called Bullshit Jobs by David Graeber. So interesting. He first wrote an essay on the topic, so you could track that down for a general idea. Essentially, there is a proliferation of well-paid people who are doing very little at work, or are paid to do tasks that are unnecessary. It's a psychic drain on the person and locks our young people up to look at spreadsheets and send email when they could be doing something more interesting and fun. The issues involve class-- educated classes vs working class, lack of upward mobility, the ways we compensate of certain kinds of work, being in a production economy, and all kinds of interesting stuff. Would love to chat about it if you have read it...

In other news, son graduated college, and lives at home. He works, and is a nice person, so I guess it's an acceptable situation for now. Husband and I are still working FT and saving. But, the heat pump went out and needed replacing, and we bought a car, so there's that-- not so cheap. We three each have a car now. I wish we could do away with one or two, but the old car is now the son's and so we keep it so he can take it when he sets out on his own. I have a 10 year old hybrid to drive a rather long way to work. The new car goes to hiking trailheads and drives bikes around on the weekends. It sounds dumb when I try to give justifications for owning a fleet of vehicles, but, it is A fine illustration of how spouses are not always 💯 percent on board with being frugal.

wolf

Post by wolf »

shade-tree wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:19 am
What prompted me to log on today is that I just read a book called Bullshit Jobs by David Graeber.
Hi shade-tree. I have just discovered your journal, because you posted something. Interesting.

You know, that there is a thread about Bullshit Jobs? It's here: The Rise of Bullshit Jobs

Take care of you!