Under the Yoke

Where are you and where are you going?
fiby41

Execution of karma yeilds proficeincy सिद्धिर्भवति कर्मजा Siddhir-bhavati Karmaja

Post by fiby41 »

Dharma

Wealth of stocked food grains (food security)
Wealth of knowledge
Wealth of accumulated capital/money
Wealth of progeny (children)
Wealth of domesticated animals
Wealth of industry and courage (risk-taking)
Wealth of social relations
Wealth of primordial physical strength

These are the eight types of wealth personified by the eight forms of Lakshmi. At this juncture, only the first three levels have their altars open for my worship.

Artha

Current value
₹87,756.71

P&L
₹6,756.71
(8.34 %)

Subscribed to the Atal Pension Yojana APY. Monthly premium of ₹228 until 60 after which ₹5000 fixed monthly payout. At 0% inflation, this will cover 50% of living expenses after 60. At 8%, only 5% will be covered.

I went to the same bank in which I have my PPF account. But they don't have this facility.

So opened APY in another bank account which was required at that time to receive the scholarship amount but was laying dormant after that. ₹117 was cut for non maintainace of minimum balance. Deposited ₹4000 for 9 months worth of APY premiums, which are auto-debited, and maintaing ₹1500 minimum balance.

Kaama

Its Diwali so will go to visit siblings and relatives on Saturday. Was a little late to book train tickets. Booked AC ticket which cost 4x, as there was only 1 seat remaining to be reserved there and there was waiting list for general seats. ₹450 and ₹110 return.

October 8.41GB
September 21.89GB

3 month prepaid plan has been over for a week now but the haven't cut the connection yet. It's just a lot slower than before. New plans and pricing will be declared today, but so far no news. Will try not to recharge until exams are over.

Moksha

34 days until first paper, with which exams start.
Static reserve index: 1 year and 8 months.

Bankai

Re: Execution of karma yeilds proficeincy सिद्धिर्भवति कर्मजा Siddhir-bhavati Karmaja

Post by Bankai »

fiby41 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:32 am
Subscribed to the Atal Pension Yojana APY. Monthly premium of ₹228 until 60 after which ₹5000 fixed monthly payout. At 0% inflation, this will cover 50% of living expenses after 60. At 8%, only 5% will be covered.
Did you look at inflation adjusted plans? Fixed payment in 41 years time might not be worth a lot if at any point there'll be a period of very high inflation.

fiby41

Re: Execution of karma yeilds proficeincy सिद्धिर्भवति कर्मजा Siddhir-bhavati Karmaja

Post by fiby41 »

This plan is mainly geared towards wage labourers in the unorganised sector so that they can have a dignified old age, although it's open to all under 40. For the payout to be non negligible, there was the option for different payout amounts, from which I picked the highest option available.
As you have correctly observed, the premiums are spread over 41 years. So the monthly premiums are also lower at starting age 19, than those for people subscribing at an older age. This plan is insured by the central government so that's a plus.
Other more sophisticated plans like stepped up premiums and inflation adjusted payouts are for employeed people or those who can show reliable source of income. I'm not qualified for those yet.
On a more positive note, now the one time registration required for subscribing to such schemes is done. So it'll be easier to compare and evaluate plans when I will have a job.
Not the best or the most popular plan but for now better than having no plan for nothing. If it really comes to that, there is an option to pause, resume or close+refund with fees&charges involved. This is a general plan open to all citizens. I'll be allowed to get one of the employment-linked plans from the pension fund companies on top of this, provided I work a job.

Tl;dr: this was the only plan I was eligible for.

fiby41

Re: Under the Yoke

Post by fiby41 »

Dharma

Studies: outcome is unfavourable so far. I need 64+ marks in all subjects to get a ficonomical salary paying job. For which, I'm not being able to meet daily quotas of topic that I need to cover to get required GPA.

I will have to see other ways to get ficonomical job outside of campus placement.

Artha

Current value |P&L| Percentage
₹89,873.92 |₹8,873.92|(10.96 %)

Favourable outcome. One out of the two funds is doing the heavy lifting. So although the overall outcome is favourable, only one of the fund has reached it's target yet. Even if it doesn't reach it's target, I've little option but to wait for another year in expectations that it reaches it's cumulative 2 year target.

OTOH, if the better performing fund falls below it's target before it's year end, it'll be immediately sold. Target will be revised after completion of one year. It it fails to meet the new cumulative target at the end of the 2nd year, it'll still be kept regardless of its performance. As it would have given one good and one bad year, and judgement would be passed at the end of the third year. The caveat is that it should not erode the gain main in the first two years. Ie. Not fall below second year end level, during any period of the third year. In which case, I'd take 1st years favourable outcome, 2nd years unfavourable outcome, and exit.
fiby41 wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:55 am
Demat account र81,608 (up 2%)
My target is 9% before 1 year or 8% every year after 1 year.
9%=4 SWR+4 CPI+1 exit load if sold before 1 year.
Dont know how to adjust for risk in comparison to risk-free FDs offering 8.25% for 7 year lock-ins.
SWR Safe withdrawal rate
CPI consumer price inflation
APY Atal Pension yojana

APY pension plan is now up and running. Opening balance and 1st premium, these 2 amounts have been deducted so far.

I like to think that the premiums for the pension plan go from the interest on the fixed deposits such that it is a self feeding feedback loop. Deductions are 249 per month and interest is 1303 and 1031 quarterly.

Received 500+200 from aunts. Gave 200 to two sisters each (cousin.) Found 500 in demonetised currency that I had forgotten about which was tucked alongside a silver sheet. Both were gifts from aunts years ago.

Kaama

Very interesting topic of visualisation was brought up by mdfire in his journal.

This is the Shri Yantra

Shri is the other Vedic name of the Goddess of Wealth, Lakshmi and yantra means device.

I have lots of downloaded movies but finding it difficult to bring myself about to watch any of those. Only watched The Man Who Knew Infinity as I had nothing to do while on the train to relatives'.

I need money for buying
Crash course fees 4800
Transport: bus and train tickets 500 would last for about a month
wifi device 999
Headphones, price range below 2000
(BIFL buy it for life)
Bitcoins

Moksha

Last paper ends on the 49th day from now.

fiby41

Let there be no fear of ferocious tigers, after having read or heard thus घोर व्याघ्र भयं नास्ति। पठता श्रृण्वतामपि।

Post by fiby41 »

Dharma

Father:

Set up online demat account for father. It will come in use from next financial year.

Tax optimized his income. 1.5 lac in equity linked savings scheme and convinced him to max out his PPF public provident fund with another 1.5 lac. This years tax burden should fall to 24k.

Mother:

She has variable income depending on number of students. Her taxable income is nil yet she has bought ELSS in lacs with 3 year lockins. :x :cry: :facepalm:

Will design, print, and distribute pamphlets in colleges near her classroom. Have to investigate and look into other ways of marketing and reeling in students. She has offered 10% of fees for every student I bring in.

I'm also taking classes in Russian language from her.

Artha

All figures in rupees.

Fixed deposit. 41.803%
Equity 48.699%
Virtual currency 4.864%
Provident and Pension fund 0.799%
Cash. 3.832%
Total 239214

Phoned in and cancelled one of the 2 debit cards I have. One is enough.

Equity:

The funds that I was eyeing had fallen considerably for me to be willing to take a position. So I liquidated the liquid fund to make that much margin available and placed order for the one's I was eyeing at the same time.

By the time the whole ordeal took place those funds were back where they were and I bought at a NAV and number of units that I was not comfortable with. Oh well, liquid funds are not so liquid, lesson learned.

Virtual currency:

First time I accustomed myself to its price (& fickle swings) I wasn't registered with the income tax department so couldn't create an account with the VC exchanges.

After I had obtained pan card with the it dept the price seemed unacceptably high to buy. I wanted to support the technology and what it represents and enables. But not at the cost of fi/being burnt/loosing sleep. Not that my weighted vote of confidence with my money made any difference to anyone but me.

I decided it was best to forget. I ignored all price related news including the bitcoin on the rise thread and only followed information related to the technological aspect, if at all.

Kaama

Cousins:
Visited cousins. Their preferences are beginning to diverge as they grow up. Same movies are not liked by both of them now. So this time I took movies in separate folders which they might like.

Resumed data plan for next 84 days. 459 cost.

Visited Nagpur in central India.
Visited Pench Tiger Reserve at Sillari.
Visited Ramtek.

Paid 500 for account opening fees of online demat account for father from my debit card.

Moksha

6.644% of asset accumulated.

There's a rule of thumb that your equity allocation percent should be 100 - your age. For me it should be 80%. But it is 48.7%. Perhaps I'm conservative. Maybe, but in comparison to other people I could know or general population percentage whose figure I know not of, it may not be soo...

What is important is weather it is in accordance with my temperament and weather it's fickonomical. But these are not fixed. Neither is consumer price inflation.

Funny thing is I was okay with it when I started out and got in this place/asset allocation.
That is, before:
I was aware of this rule or took it seriously,
was comfortable with equity markets and
seeing it's net value P&L go up or down by 1k in a day...

fiby41

सोमं धनस्य सोमिनोमह्यं ददातुसोमिनः ॥

Post by fiby41 »

Dharma: In the works:

Driving License: (two and four wheeler) Provisional appointment for learner's license on the 2nd. Fees: 7000 for driving lessons. Half an hour per day for 21 days 5 days a week.

I will join new batch for learning rifle firing starting next month. They said they'll call back but I'll call again tomorrow to follow-up.
Update: tentative start date 1st week of Feb. Fees: 5000

Slow progress on the Russian and maths front. Fees: 10000.

Attended a short term training program STTP on the topic 'Data Analytics using Python and R' in the first week of the month. ~43 hours. About 50-50 of the time it was hands-on vs lectures. Fees: 1000.

Laptop switches off after ~10 mins of use. I suspect the charger. It's been 8 years. New laptop cost estimate between 22500 and 24500.

There is an exercise facility in a nearby garden but I can't bring about myself to wake up and go out in the cold mornings. I should become a regular there before even considering joining a gym or pool for swimming.

Artha

Percentage allocated clockwise from top right.

Transferred to crypto only international exchange the amounts bought in the dips of 22 dec and 16 jan. Felt bad that I had no money left to buy in the dip of 17 jan.

On 1st jan the network fees on local exchange where I buy for 20% premium was 100b (1%). I was in the STTP mentioned above so couldn't/didn't make up my mind even though I had time in the evenings. On 8th jan when the STTP was over it was 500b (5%). I did the transfer at 1.657% network fees.

Initially I wanted to deposit from local ether exchange but the fees in rupee equivalent came out to be the same ₹500. Some of the BTC was I had was in red but all the ETH was in green so I liquidated the ETH at ~15% to my bank and deposited it to the BTC exchange. On the ETH exchange the fees were 0.25%+18%GST(tax)=0.295% for both buying and selling. But on the ETH exchange prices were closer to the international price while the BTC exchange kept the buying and selling free but charged a premium in the price itself. I still don't know how to factor this bit in the price.

So, I'm down in INR terms but up in terms of BTC and USD. Recent addition since then has been Cardano (ADA). There is also still negligibe amount remaining in the local ETH and BTC exchanges.

My main purpose for moving to the international exchange is not trading. It is the rising network fees which would further sky rocket if the state makes a wrong move. Diversification into other crypto assets is important to me. Now I can't rely on the BTC price to make up for the transfer fees and premium I paid on the local exchange so I might as well buy other cryptos.

The yearly fluctuations in the stock market happen daily in the crypto sphere and it seems almost impossible to pinpoint the reason for these swings.

Per each mutual fund.

9 months ago I bought my first mutual fund

Kaama

Moksha

Static reserve index: 2 years 5 months
AUM assets under management: ₹2,90,283
8.0634% of goal reached.

Meaning of the post title:
Addressing Lakshmi, the Goddess of Wealth:

Those who have some wealth [are able to] beget more with your grace. So enrich me with some [of your grace.]

~Shree Suktam from the Rig Veda.

Housekeeping: Updated avatar from this
To this

bryan

Post by bryan »

Data usage in Jan looks so discretely linear! Looks like you could benefit from adding videos to your "watch later" playlist and watching or downloading (NewPipe app on github/F-Droid is what you want) while on wifi.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Thanks for the tip Bryan.

Sabaka

Post by Sabaka »

Hiya fiby41, just skimmed through your journal, good work!

I am also interested in Russian (bit of a Russophile to be honest) and have been learning on and off for 3 years (consistently for the last year). Why are you interested in Russian?

Best of luck!

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Sabaka wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:52 am
Why are you interested in Russian?
I think it is because my mother knows Russian and I get some of it free at home.

Sabaka

Post by Sabaka »

fiby41 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:52 pm
I think it is because my mother knows Russian and I get some of it free at home.
As good as any other reason!

fiby41

Lakṣmī-sahasra-śata-sambhrama-sevyamānaṁ। govindam ādi-puruṣaṁ tam ahaṁ bhajāmi।।

Post by fiby41 »

Dharma

Air pistol and air rifle month long training complete. Certificate will be useful when applying for license to bear arms.

Russian
Gave Spoken Tutorial Exam.
A1 & A2 language levels complete.
My facebook page Hindu Russia crossed 1k likes & followers:
https://www.facebook.com/HinduRuss/?sk=photos

Gave semester examination

Artha

Currency speculation with the help of script 1: history
Currency speculation with the help of script 2: trade
Mutual funds 1 and 2
Mutual funds 3, 4 &5
Virtual currencies

See full album

Kaama

Thou shall not covet your neighbour. What if she is single? And what if she likes you too?

My childhood sweetheart moved next-door 2 years ago. I have been trying my best the prevent the relation we have from descending into neighbourhood, 'just friends'hip, or filial piety (brotherhood) by maintaining tention and surprisingly she's cooperating.

Apart from her I have not much contact with any girl which is dangerous in case she hurts me. But this is also the reason why I must cultivate this relation-- to build my confidence up so I can approach and make friends with other girls.

She has one friend in college and one of her school friends with whom she pretty much does anything- dinners, movies, bike, car rides,... But they publicly deny being in a relationship.

They'll be here until her mother retires in 5 to 7 years. My goal is to get her to the point where, if I propose, she'll say yes, by the time of their last year here. Currently we see each other on Tuesdays.

I'll waste extra time to be romantically involved with atleast one girl in college, classes just in case.

If she says no, she'll be out of my life anyway. I'll live another 5 years until my father retires. Then if I have a job in the city and cannot commute from where my parents move, I'll take shelter under the lotus feet of the Supreme Lord of all the manifest and unmanifest universes, Śrī
Kṛṣṇa by moving in The Temple.

Moksha

I have been listening to the Bhagavad-gītā in orignal since February. The word gītā means song so it is indeed meant to be sung hence its metric rhyme scheme substitutes my music needs. Serendipity effects unintended sideeffect have been memorising some of the 700 verses.

The wall plaster had been falling where I sleep giving me breathing irritation. The cement had to be replaced for quite some time. I had resolved the build relation with the girl next door and the temple so that when the impending renovation takes place, I'll have shelter.

I've been attending Śrīmad Bhāgavatam lecture on Saturdays hearing Kṛṣṇa-kathā (historic narration) and Bhagavad-gītā on Thursdays (philosophical discussion) and participating in the open-ended conversations.

The Supreme Controller is so kind-- The day the public works department scheduled the renovation was Ekādaśī and previous Thursday lecture I was invited to spend the weekend overnight in the temple for the Ekādaśī!

Lakṣmī-sahasra-śata-sambhrama-sevyamānaṁ
govindam ādi-puruṣaṁ tam ahaṁ bhajāmi

I worship Govinda Kṛṣṇa, the Primeval Lord, the first progenitor,
He is always being served with great reverence and affection by hundreds of thousand Goddesses of Fortune, Lakṣmī, each incharge of Her particular universe.

Brahma-Saṁhitā (5.29)

fiby41

Swimming in that Egyptian river- In Denial

Post by fiby41 »

Artha

Virtual currencies:

Stock market mutual funds:

Currency trading:

fiby41

When I was with you all I felt was this: Helplessness, imprisoned. I fell for this so many times it's ridiculous

Post by fiby41 »

Mutual funds: ₹2.6L
Crypto: ₹5k
Cash: ₹35176.25

Bought headphones: - ₹1700

8.33% of goal reached.

Girl next door went to other city for masters. So glad that I maintained safe distance and did not get overly attached. Dodged a silver bullet or golden handcuffs. She has a single parent only and she is of the type to guilt trip you into feeling bad if she doesn't get what she wants from you. She would have used me only to alleviate boredom if I'd have let her. Reading the recommended book in the other thread Games People Play explains a lot. Now reading Art of Seduction. Main reason for buying those headphones are those noisy neighbours.

frihet

Re: Lakṣmī-sahasra-śata-sambhrama-sevyamānaṁ। govindam ādi-puruṣaṁ tam ahaṁ bhajāmi।।

Post by frihet »

fiby41 wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:37 pm

b]Moksha[/b]

I have been listening to the Bhagavad-gītā in orignal since February. The word gītā means song so it is indeed meant to be sung hence its metric rhyme scheme substitutes my music needs. Serendipity effects unintended sideeffect have been memorising some of the 700 verses.

T
Lakṣmī-sahasra-śata-sambhrama-sevyamānaṁ
govindam ādi-puruṣaṁ tam ahaṁ bhajāmi

I worship Govinda Kṛṣṇa, the Primeval Lord, the first progenitor,
He is always being served with great reverence and affection by hundreds of thousand Goddesses of Fortune, Lakṣmī, each incharge of Her particular universe.

Brahma-Saṁhitā (5.29)
Beautiful bhajan, dancing in my heart chakra, needed some soul-soothing, thank you!

I have also studied the Gita but in english translation. I especially like chapter 7-11, they expand me along with the talks I've been following.

http://www.satshree.org/teachings/gita- ... dy-videos/

Verse 360.
The seekers who steadfastly worship Me without thinking anything else, I secure for them whatever they need and protect what they already have

fiby41

Re: Lakṣmī-sahasra-śata-sambhrama-sevyamānaṁ। govindam ādi-puruṣaṁ tam ahaṁ bhajāmi।।

Post by fiby41 »

frihet wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:57 am
I have also studied the Gita but in english translation. I especially like chapter 7-11, they expand me along with the talks I've been following.
Gītā is compared to a sandwich in an analogy. The first and last 6 chapters are like the bread which cover nyāna-yoga and karma-yoga are important while the central 6 chapters dealing with bhakti-yoga are the most relishable.

frihet

Post by frihet »

fiby41 wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:42 am
relishable.
Relishable, Truly, I like how that word rolls on the tongue.

The sandwich analogy is similar to how Sat Shree teaches the Gita. 1-6 is as you say the foundation and he then speaks of three different flavors of realization in chapter 7-15: Transcended Truth - to realize the Brahman, To realize the God principle and the to bring those two into manifestation into the world as the Supreme Being = Truth/God in human form on earth. 16-18 are reminders so that manifestation doesn't go astray.

Are you a member of the ISKCON movement? They probably teach it differently?

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

frihet wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:47 am
Are you a member of the ISKCON movement?
They do have a life membership program. It's worth considering if you have global traveling (affordable guest houses) or simple living off the land (eco-villages and farm communities) in your ERE plan.

Those are the material benefits. On a more subtle/spiritual level, they provide a great way of structuring time, even at home, with mantra-meditation and reading material.
frihet wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:47 am
They probably teach it differently?
God is the Supreme Person.

fiby41

Don't inhabit a country where you're'nt respected, cant earn your livelihood, have no friends, or can't aquire knowledge

Post by fiby41 »

Money owed to me, by whom, with the time/duration I cannot touch it for (they owe me until):

81k, 2 MFs, this is the amount which was invested more than 500 days ago and currently in profit, can withdraw

180k, 11 MFs, either less than a year old or in negative

50k, cooperative bank, 2020

50k, cooperative bank, 2024

35k, cooperative bank, can touch/liquid

3k, state bank, can touch

26k, state bank, 2031 after 35

3,420, guarantor govt, after 60

After adding pocket change in 2 bank accounts and crypto it comes up to 3 years 8 months 1 day 4 hours and 48 minutes of living expenses (440k)

Got food, clothing, shelter covered until 2030 which is around until when my father can continue on his post.

My Facebook page crossed 10k likes.

Rules:

Save up 12.5k and deposit it each time in Public provident fund (maturity 2031).

There was a post that said to go on a binge shopping so that you can get it out of your system, find out first hand that it is not worth it before whole heatedly adopting the FIRE lifestyle. I may have ended up doing the same with investing.

No more stock market positions (either through mutual funds, or securities) unless I've maxed out that year's PPF limit (150k) and my then return on currently owned funds matches or exceeds whatever interest is going on the PPF (8%)

If I'm tempted: (note to self) No gambling is 1 of the 4 regulative principles prescribed to me.

Get Rich Slowly: if I'm able to/ I had max/ed out 150k every year for the total 15 years (I'm 3 years in);
Final Maturity Amount is 42,48,288;
At the current interest rate of 7.6 %;
Which is over & above my FI target of 36,00,k;
But interest rates can go down and cost of living increase further.

Chanting: Power of compound interest

Set it and forgot it (if it works): so I can get myself into bigger problems & more interesting things to do than retirement planning and lifestyle design.
Last edited by fiby41 on Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fiby41

नारायणं नमस्कृत्य नरं चैव नरॊत्तमम| देवीं सरस्वतीं चैव ततॊ जयम उदीरयेत ||

Post by fiby41 »

3 months ago, I went for a week to the number 2 place to be in 2019 according to NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... visit.html
It cost 60 dollars, all included.

I remember going through that article on the blog dissing travel, and ticking the reasons I had in mind as they were mentioned.
My attitude towards travel has changed 180 degree since joining this forum.
Reasons could be:
-finding out firsthand that it is possible to do so affordably
-With parents it was hours of doing nothing (resting) followed by franatic sightseeing. Very stressful
-I have more time now
- Understanding yatra/pilgrimage to be religious tourism.

I've observed some senior citizens. Elderly people seem to live an almost identical sedentary, secluded life. Most miserable are those whose all friends die up before they do. I've decided that's not how I'd like to end up.

Besides that's not what the Vedic culture recommends. One should take Sannyās (retirement) after all house hold duties are fullfilled, discharged. Without becoming a dependent on children. Preaching Dharma in alien climes.

I'd like to be posted in a Russian speaking country. After taking Sannyās. It'd be better that before I go, I have under my belt a repreitore of Dharmic books in Russian language translated.

I'd imagine having irregular, seasonal employment. Taking occassional interpretation gigs and translation assignments. Spending the remaining time translating books.

I'm preparing to do post graduation in Russia to get used to the climate, besides the education is affordable and better that European countries in the price range.

On Thursdays I attended Bhagavad-gītā discussion. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6084&start=60#p169151
I walk 40 mins from the station to temple. It is tapa (austerity), exercise, kills time as the discussion starts at 8 pm, and creates appetite. I take the bus back home as I'm so full of the tasty food that I can barely walk the same distance plus it's late, usually after 10 pm.
Today is the third day the bus employees were on strike. So I didn't go and instead wrote this.

The title of past post is a sutra, aphorism by the mentor to the emperor who consolidated my country into a single political entity, after a long time, immediately after Alexander was prevented from entering it.