ffj's early retirement

Where are you and where are you going?
ffj

Re: ffj's early retirement

Post by ffj »

Thanks ertyu, I've got some things going my way for sure. I cleaned out my experimental tree farm of the weeds that had grown amongst the seedlings and some of the sprouts are really taking off.

Unfortunately, I only have one walnut that is attempting to sprout and I don't know why they aren't as prolific as the oaks and hickories.

I left the walnuts on top of the ground all winter so that might explain why they are failing to germinate. I'll try burying them like I did the acorns this winter and see if that doesn't change my luck. I also built a proper upper cage for them to grow today to keep the squirrels out. This will give them room to grow upward without hitting wire. I used scrap wood left over from the build and I already had the wire, so no cash outlay which is nice.

I've got a bunch of redbud seedlings popping up around my house so I think I'll dig them up and put them where the walnuts are so as to not waste space.

@C40

There is definitely a market for them, there is no doubt of that. It's amazing how many people are extolling the virtues of tripping out on these guys. I don't have the disposition to even want to try them but they really seem to be trendy at the moment. I can't imagine they would be any harder to grow than what I'm doing now but like you I would prefer to stay out of the big house. ;)

RoamingFrancis

Post by RoamingFrancis »

What cool pictures! Good luck with your projects!

Igotgoals

Post by Igotgoals »

Yellowface!

Are you putting a cat door in that shop? Or is someone moving to the big house?

ffj

Post by ffj »

Thanks Roaming, no wordsmith here. :) It's just easier to take a picture sometimes.

@Igot

My daughter, who isn't partially colorblind as I am, informs me that she is actually more orange but I am keeping the name, haha. She's going to stay a barn cat however as we have an insanely affectionate male cat that also showed up one day at our doorstep. He arrived with half his hair missing, worms, a broken rib, and very malnourished. Now he is a fatty like me so that's what I call him, and he purrs on command whether you insult him or not. But no, I only let my main pets come in at night and they have designated spots they have to stay in as I have a very low tolerance for accidents and pet hair.

Finished the rafter ties and window flashing.

I also foamed and insulated the air gap between the windows and the framing which sets the stage for starting the soffits.

I picked up the trim and metal for the soffits yesterday and as I was waiting for the manufacturer to cut my order I realized I had given them the wrong measurement for the front and back soffits. Of course it was a number that was too short and of course it was the first thing they cut for me so I couldn't stop them in time. :x

So I had to spend an extra $90 for them to recut it the correct length. The guy asked me if I wanted the wrong sized ones and I said yes, since I paid for them I would take them. I just don't know what I am going to do with them, haha.

The place is run by Mennonites, and I have to say they are some of the nicest people I have ever met. I need one of their hats for when I am working out in the sun but I don't know if that is considered rude to wear one if I don't belong to the group. I may have to go visit Tractor Supply and find a similar one there.

Cheepnis

Post by Cheepnis »

ffj, if you're not careful I think many of us will be coming back more for cat pictures than progress pics, what cuties!

ffj

Post by ffj »

@Cheepnis

Haha, yeah you have a point. I hand feed her everyday before I just dump a bunch of food out so that she trusts me even more and I should take a picture of that, especially when she swats the food out of my hand when I tease her. To be honest, I'm a little surprised by all of the attention they are getting and I joke with my wife how they have a fan club. :D

O.K., I've been working on the soffits and it took me a bit of head scratching figuring out how some of this works, especially the transitions. But you start with what is called an "F and J channel" along with the drip edge.

After those are installed, then you can put in the actually soffit followed by the fascia.

The fascia tucks under the drip edge so any water naturally falls to the ground if it gets past the edge of the roof.

The F and J channel is the color of the future wall panels so that it will match when I slide them into place.

All of these steps naturally take a bit of time especially since I am working in the air off of scaffolding. But once I am done then I am truly done and I shouldn't have to get back up there again which is nice.

I should finish all four sides today and then Monday or Tues. I plan on ordering my wall panels.

ffj

Post by ffj »

I took a pretty good bite to get these pictures so for those that enjoy the cats you are welcome. ;)

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Ah, now for the actual content the internet exists for - cat pictures!

Awsome cats - look clean, healthy, and vigorous. Excellent catting!

Why did they bite you?

ffj

Post by ffj »

@ertyu

She just got a little over-enthusiastic grabbing the food out of my fingers. Between the claws and the teeth you have to be careful. But she wasn't trying to hurt me intentionally. Still hurt though. ;)

In other news I received an unexpected phone call today from the house-builder I retained. He wasn't able to get to me until August but today he said he could start Thursday of this week which sent me scrambling to line up materials and an excavator to ready the site. If all goes well we should start framing Thursday morning which is exciting.

I was going to frame the house myself but working by yourself really takes a long time to finish anything. And I am beginning to get impatient with the speed of this whole operation. For what I will be paying this guy and his crew I can easily make up in doing other work on the house. I have offered to help him with the work for a discount and we'll see where that goes as I just might continue to work on the shop instead. We'll see.

ffj

Post by ffj »

Whew, the whole operation just got very busy in preparation for the builders tomorrow.

Finally, I have completed the roof and I don't have to climb up there again. It's finished, thankfully. I thought it turned out really well considering I have never done this type of metalwork before.

In more detail. I decided when I designed the building that I was going to incorporate little details such as this to distinguish it from cookie-cutter metal pole buildings. That is also why I have a split face block foundation. It costs more money and definitely more time but the final product should be pleasing to the eye.

My excavator guy showed up today to dig out the interior of the foundation for more room. This was a mistake on my part in not having done this before the walls went up but in all fairness I thought the depth would be adequate before, UNTIL I saw my neighbors house and how they parsed out every bit of room under their house. It makes everything so much easier to access and work on when you have more room, so that is why I got that done today before the carpenters show up tomorrow.

Th excavator managed to break a few block off with his machine and if you will notice the fresh mortar on the center block you can see where I had to repair it. I couldn't complain too much as he did a good job in a very tight space otherwise.

We start building the house tomorrow.

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

That's exciting! I think you'll get your house finished before we finish our school bus renovation. :roll: You are making progress left and right, it's really fun to see.

Out here in Oregon, there is a potential ballet measure to legalize mushrooms for therapeutic treatments. Also, I think I've heard that people will start their own churches and then it is legal to use mushrooms as it is part of their 'religion'. Not sure if that would fly in the South though.

bigato

Post by bigato »

That roof looks perfect. The foundation is also a pleasure to see, such great work being done on your property! Very nice.

ffj

Post by ffj »

@mooretrees

You should see the mushrooms I have growing, so much that I am just looking for people to give them to for free. I am feeling pretty comfortable with certain types of mushrooms in that I feel I could repeat the growing process over and over with success. I think I am going to stop experimenting and just focus on honing the process of the ones I really like for a while, which are King Blues, King oysters, and Shiitake. I need more work on the shiitake, especially to keep them from fusing together as they grow.

I've never tried growing the magic kind but I can't imagine it would be radically different from the gourmets. Like weed, I'm sure they will be legal throughout the States soon.

Thanks Bigato, and always remember I only show the best examples. ;)

The Amish crew started today and knocked out the floor. It's a father and sons team and they really work well together, and it's a great thing to watch as they just know what to do at every step.

I am currently hemorrhaging money as I try to keep them supplied in material. I've spent $9000 in the last two days in wood alone, and these guys will probably need $9000 more next week in supplies. It's a bit unsettling writing these checks but I am confident it will pay off in the end.

Tomorrow, if the rain holds off, the walls go up.

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

Did you ever look into your local farmers market for selling your mushrooms?

ffj

Post by ffj »

@mooretrees

I did, and a few factors caused me to back out at the last minute. First, I'm building a house, and then the virus hit right before the farmers market opened which caused them to create a bunch of rules. And lastly, I was still developing my preferred strains right up to last week so I really wasn't ready.

I did visit the Market last Saturday and to be honest it was kind of sad. There weren't a whole lot of venders and with the social distancing they were all spread out which made it look even worse and sparse. Granted, I visited late in the day so a lot of them may have already sold out and left, but I wasn't impressed with the variety, quantity of vendors, or crowd size. I'll have to visit again early in the day, maybe tomorrow, and compare.

If I sit out a season it just gives me more time to develop my operation so I'm not too concerned, plus this house is taking all of my time.

The builders didn't show today due to the rain, but I got my septic tank installed. The guy I hired to do the job has to be one of the most relaxed persons I have ever met in that he just doesn't seem to care when the job gets done. He'll talk forever and casually do some work when he feels like it. I'm under no time pressure to get the system done so he's kind of amazing to watch in his laissez-faire work method.

Igotgoals

Post by Igotgoals »

Wow - haven't checked in for a week or so - I can't believe all your progress.
Your roof and soffits/gutters look very attractive. The design of them is very pleasing and the color is really nice too.

Your house is going up! Things are really happening now.
I've no doubt you'll keep an eye on the money, I know it's tough to write those checks but you know what you're doing and will keep the expenses within your plan.

I've always been fascinated by how things are made whether it be construction or assembly line so thanks for taking us along.
Hi to Yellowface.

Debra

p.s. I was weeding the other day and I yanked this weed out and it had a weird heavy dangly root. I looked at it more closely and it was a walnut sprouted about 8".
I chuckled and tossed it in the weeding bucket and thought of your efforts as well as my own efforts to grow things. Some times you labor so hard and it just doesn't work out. And then a walnut plops itself down, probably buried by a random annoying squirrel and it grows.
I keep thinking I should go pull it out of the bucket and see if I can keep it going.
For sure that will signal it's end lol

ffj

Post by ffj »

@Igot

I'm beginning to think my original goal of building this for under $100,000 is a bit naive. Not that we are going to waste money but these $5,000 checks are adding up rather quickly. However, I do think that we can limit the risk by doing a lot of the work and self-fund as much as we can along the way. I've always said that one should figure what you think it will cost and then add 30%, so we should come in around $130,000 more than likely. We'll see though, and even if it comes to that then the sale of my current house should cover that bill.

You know, when I collected all of those seeds last fall my plan was to repopulate some scrubby areas of the woods. But what I have found is that I already have tons of trees growing, they just need to be saved from the invasive vines and such. So I am going to have a hundred trees that I'm not sure what to do with next year. So yeah, it's funny how these things work out.

I have spent the last couple of days finishing the interior framing of the shop, readying it for interior finishes and a ceiling and garage doors. I thought of taking pictures but it's just boring prep work, but totally necessary. The exciting part though is that the carpentry is done, and I am ready for the exterior siding to be applied, which I should start tomorrow. I thought of trying to help the Amish guys but I decided that finishing the shop is more important and quite honestly, they don't need my help. I would just be in the way as they have a good system in place to get things done. Plus they keep speaking in German Pennsylvania Dutch which I don't understand. And I am paying them for this work. ;)

They accomplished quite a bit today by framing the exterior walls:

The other walls are built but weren't stood up as they ran out of time today. They have a driver that delivers and picks them up exactly at 7 in the morning and 330 in the afternoon respectively. And they leave exactly at 330 regardless of where they are in progress. I don't know how they pay their driver but it's pretty obvious he doesn't wait for them.

My excavator also has been busy. He dug out the leach field today and installed the plastic things (I don't know what they are called) that create the void for the effluent of the septic tank.

Per code each bedroom has to have at least 82 feet of these tunnels. I'll have three bedrooms, hence three lines of 82 feet. The concrete box is a distribution box that feeds all three lines.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

The plastic things are called infiltrators.

Something to think about, when people run into septic problems, it's usually with a drain field not draining at the speed they want. It shouldn't be a problem using infiltrators. Older systems used pipes with holes along their length to slowly distribute the effluent. Plants would send roots into those holes, plugging them, and non biodegradables (like polyester fibers from the wash) can plug the holes from the inside.

Infiltrators solve this by having the entire area under the infiltrators available, no small holes to clog.

But the solution for a slow drain field is to let it "rest" for a few years. By letting it alone, the clogs open with time and bioactivity. Usually this is done by installing a second drain field, and using that.

I bring this up, so you can consider the possibility of a second drain field now, while everything is exposed, and equipment is on site.

It's a belt and suspenders approach, in that you are far less likely to have a problem at all using infiltrators, if your soils are good. But if you are at all concerned about marginal soils, a second drain field at this point could save you headaches in the future. A future issue could be resolved by simply going out and adjusting the openings in your distribution box.

Or everything could be fine, and I am suggesting you waste money. :shock: You decide. :D

ffj

Post by ffj »

@rigger

They've been calling them chambers around here. Might be a regional thing. I just couldn't think of it last night.

The previous owner had to truck in topsoil which I am taking advantage of for my field. We have heavy, heavy clay around here that doesn't percolate, so If I were to take your advice I would have to do the same and then let the dirt sit there for at least a year before they would let me use it for a drain field. She had it done around ten years ago and just never built her house, so I passed the perc test easily.

I spent all day trimming out windows in preparing for the installation of the siding today while the carpenters continued to kick ass.

And the septic tank was hooked up to the drain field too. Once I pass inspection, then everything can be covered up with dirt.

MEA

Post by MEA »

It's weird for me to imagine the Amish in the 21st century. We definitely don't have that in my area, but I secretly envy their lifestyle. At least, what I imagine it to be.