ffj's early retirement

Where are you and where are you going?
2Birds1Stone

Re: ffj's early retirement

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Some folks only purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others, sounds like your current neighbors fit the bill.

ffj

Post by ffj »

@2birds

They're doing a bang-up job of showcasing how to struggle in life. If they didn't disrupt my life so much I wouldn't care, but they have taken away my ability to relax on my own property. I used to enjoy spending time in my yard but no more as I don't enjoy watching crackheads beat on cars in a garbage dump that used to be a pristine field with horses. I have blocked them from view for the most part but it is impossible for the entire property, and the noise continues which is the most maddening of all. Another year though and I won't have to deal with them again so that is positive.

I received the metal roofing panels today and even though it was too windy to be lifting what are basically 16 foot sails, haha, I did it anyway. It put me flat on my ass one time but luckily I was on the ground when a wind gust blew me over with a panel in my hands. If I waited for ideal weather conditions to work on this property then I would never get anything done. Plus the Amish guys building my neighbors house were throwing down 4 X 8 plywood sheets on 12/12 pitched roofs so I couldn't let them see me as weak, ha.

Remember my problem with the building being slightly out of square? I did two things to rectify the situation. The first correction came at the eave on with the starter panel. I simply made it slightly askew and out of parallel by about a good 1/2 inch. Over 16 feet your eye won't pick up on the discrepancy. The other correction involved allowing a small amount of stair-stepping on the front edge.

Again, once a gutter is installed and even now, it's hard to pick up that the front edges aren't perfectly aligned. I allowed about 1/8 of an inch of offset and that seems to be a sweet spot to not notice.

It took seventeen panels to cover the 51 feet and once I tacked them into place, it was time to screw off the entire side of the roof. To keep a nice pattern I ran a string line and simply followed the straight edge. I set about 750 screws and that took awhile.

I finished the front today and tomorrow I tackle the back.

A curious cow right across my property line, because why not? ;)

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Did you start on the foundation of the new house? Is that what I'm seeing in the middle left of the first photo? My apologies if I missed this mentioned earlier.

ffj

Post by ffj »

@ animal

Yeah, you missed it somehow. I built the foundation for the house and the shop at the same time, and since I had the wood already for the shop, I decided to build it first since the wood filled up my barn.

Another very busy day today with perfect weather. Finished the roof panels but I still lack the ridge cap as I just ran out of steam and time. And it is going to rain tonight so I will have water coming in from the ridge but not a big deal.

The roof makes the interior look huge and it makes me realize how big this damn thing really is at 1,300 square feet of open floor space. I love it though.

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

Nice shop. What general area of Kentucky are you in? I have family all over the state. Quite a few are such a mess that they could be your neighbors unfortunately.

ffj

Post by ffj »

I live in the central part of the state and I grew up in the eastern part of the state, where everybody loves to make a documentary. The poor, proud mountain people, yada, yada.

If any of these idiots next to me are from your people, then you need to get your ass down here and take them away. Just bring a couple of junked cars filled with drugs and a couple of mentally unstable women and it would be like a moth to flame. You could lead them anywhere far, far away from me. ;)

On a serious note, these assholes are going to cost me substantial money when I sell my house. I'm already prepared to lose at least $50,000 just because they exist right next door. It's one of the reasons I'm trying to keep the cost of my new house low by doing most of the work. If I get out of this with no money owed then I will consider myself lucky.

ffj

Post by ffj »

I've been doing a lot of landscape, gardening, and grass cutting here lately which has slowed my progress with building. Today I planted 200 tomato plants that I started from seed in my new garden. These guys looked a little rough around the edges as I started them early and they had to endure some extreme weather. Since I don't know how many will flourish or whether the rabbits or groundhogs will eat a bunch, I decided to over-plant and if only a quarter come through for me, then 50 tomato plants is still substantial. I planted all heirloom varieties: cherokee purple, mortgage lifter, yellow brandywine, pink brandywine, beefsteak, krim, roma, yellow pear, german johnson, giant belgium.

The whole garden is basically an experiment anyway, as I have an established garden at my old place. I am really curious what conditions and results I will experience and if there are any problems I want to get a head start on tackling them. I still had over a hundred plants when I finished, and I took them to the fire dept. and gave them away to my fire buddies. My original plan was to sell them sort of like Sky is doing, but they didn't finish to a high enough quality. Next year I will have a green house and I will avoid many of the problems I faced with these tomatoes.

I started working on the soffits and fly rafters. Hopefully in the next couple of days that task will be finished. Having to work off of ladders and scaffolding is a slow endeavor.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Mmmm... now I know who to visit if I want a tasty tomato sandwich. If you don’t care about arterial clogging, I will pass on my recipe for tomato pie which only works if you have perfectly ripe tomatoes that are still warm from the garden.

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

ffj wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:25 pm
I've been doing a lot of landscape, gardening, and grass cutting here lately which has slowed my progress with building. Today I planted 200 tomato plants that I started from seed in my new garden. These guys looked a little rough around the edges as I started them early and they had to endure some extreme weather. Since I don't know how many will flourish or whether the rabbits or groundhogs will eat a bunch, I decided to over-plant and if only a quarter come through for me, then 50 tomato plants is still substantial. I planted all heirloom varieties: cherokee purple, mortgage lifter, yellow brandywine, pink brandywine, beefsteak, krim, roma, yellow pear, german johnson, giant belgium.

The whole garden is basically an experiment anyway, as I have an established garden at my old place. I am really curious what conditions and results I will experience and if there are any problems I want to get a head start on tackling them. I still had over a hundred plants when I finished, and I took them to the fire dept. and gave them away to my fire buddies. My original plan was to sell them sort of like Sky is doing, but they didn't finish to a high enough quality. Next year I will have a green house and I will avoid many of the problems I faced with these tomatoes.

I started working on the soffits and fly rafters. Hopefully in the next couple of days that task will be finished. Having to work off of ladders and scaffolding is a slow endeavor.

Most of my folks came from Meade County and have spread mostly central with a few east. I ended up in eastern Tennessee. Motley crew for sure.

ffj

Post by ffj »

@7

Bring a basket if these guys take off, haha. We were supposed to get a good rain last night and the one time I want it to rain it doesn't. :x

Based on how quickly my extra plants were taken yesterday, maybe I should have sold them after all at the farmers market. I've got an experimental batch growing right now with a new grow light set-up that are looking professional grade. Might be worth it to visit the market with them.

@OTCW

I had to look up where Meade County was to be sure, and although I don't think I've been there I have been to Louisville and the surrounding areas many times. Kentucky has 120 counties so it's easy to lose track of so many.

East Tennessee is nice. Might as well be part of Kentucky, and aside from different sports teams, orange versus blue, there's not a whole lot of difference. Everybody is a redneck underneath it all, :) .

Igotgoals

Post by Igotgoals »

It really does seem so much larger with the roof on doesn't it? What a nice shop you will have.
I can't believe you set up another garden!
You are one busy guy that's for sure.

You really have a nice spot. The views are so nice.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

how are the cats taking this upheaval, that's their lumber pile disturbed haha

ffj

Post by ffj »

@Igot

I do have nice views, thanks so much. Here is the back of the property before it turns into woods.

I'm thinking of putting a picnic table back here because it is so private and relaxing. The tall grass will be cut in a couple of weeks as one of my neighbors wants it for hay. He'll cut it and bale it and take it away. I would say it's about two acres of prime grass so we both come out ahead on that deal.

Here is a shot of the woods. Mind you one needed a machete last year to get through this part of the property. I'm very pleased with how it has opened up and how pleasant it looks now. I still have plenty of work ahead of me for the problem areas but I've given myself a head start by working on it this past winter.

@ertyu

No worries for the cats, I built them a loft before I removed the wood and they love it. I also built them a ramp to get up there but they prefer to climb the posts like a squirrel for some reason. The mustachioed one has basically turned even wilder as he spends all of his time roaming and he'll come at night to eat, and I can't get remotely close to him anymore. The two girls are much more open to me and will eat right beside me but they have their limits, no petting just yet. There is only one that I feel will ever let me pet her, and that is yellow face. She almost never leaves the barn and she will purr and rub herself over everything when I feed her and I've been able to touch her tail but she is on guard at all times.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

haha great picture :). Half cat face peeking :). Thanks for the update! Excellent cats! Rest of property ok too :P top picture looks like the windows screensaver. A table to sit at and look over the field sounds awesome
Last edited by ertyu on Thu May 21, 2020 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

ffj

Post by ffj »

Success!

Look who's letting me pet her. She finally gave up the fight and didn't run away when I went to pet her and she'll even let me hand feed her. It was just a matter of time. I'm working on the other female by throwing her individual pieces of food to get her to trust me. She is really skittish though but the situation improves every day. Amazing when I remember how these cats ran and hid from me if I even stepped into the barn not that long ago.

My building has been sponsored by Lowes, haha.

After having to plant a couple of gardens as well as mow grass, and some personal issues ( a death of a friend's wife ) , I have completed the framing of the soffits and put on the house wrap. As much as the scaffolding has been helpful, I am getting tired of climbing up and down these things to perform all of the tasks to get it ready for siding.

My next step is to install the windows and then I will tackle the fascia and soffits by installing the metal trim.

The tomato plants at the new place have perked up and surprisingly nothing has eaten any of them. I thought for sure a rabbit would have a feast if not a groundhog. I have 200 plants there, and I planted another 20 at my other garden. Plus I have another 95 growing at the moment. :?

Why, you may wonder? Because I am experimenting with different set-ups and trying to maximize my growing methods. Next year I hope to be able to sell plants and I need to be able to plan accordingly, and produce nice plants that will sell. My intention is to stick with the heirlooms as they aren't readily available and I should be able to command a slightly higher price.

I'm thinking tomato and pepper plants along with mushrooms should produce a viable business model. As I refuse to try to sell anything subpar it's going to take some effort to get it right.

ffj

Post by ffj »

Windows are in:

My wife helped me hold them while I leveled and screwed them into place. The last thing I wanted was to drop and break one of these guys. I'll probably pick up an entry door tomorrow and start working on that installation. Monday I'll order my soffit and trim material, or maybe Tuesday with the holiday.

My latest attempt at a new strain came out quite well. These are called King Blues.

I think I've got a good handle on oyster mushrooms at this point. Once I get proficient, and mainly consistent with Shiitake I'll be ready to market some mushrooms. Also, my latest attempt at tomato plants have come out very well, and I think I have worked out the bugs to consistency on that endeavor. I am dangerously close to becoming competent in at least those two areas. ;)

C40

Post by C40 »

Love seeing your building progress. Yeah, growing mushrooms is fun :-).

ffj

Post by ffj »

@C40

Which kind do you grow? Magic or gourmet? When I tell people I'm learning how to grow mushrooms, about half question me about the psilocybin variety.

My wife is on vacation so that means that I have to be too, but she's pretty low key so I am still able to get some things done after she gets enough attention. Today was installing the entry door.

The next couple of days will consist of detail work such as flashing the windows, installing hurricane clips, and foam insulating the gaps around the windows and doors.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Wow, amazing. Awesome mushrooms, awesome cats, cows cool also, building really taking shape and looking great. Inspirational.

C40

Post by C40 »

ffj wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:35 pm
@C40

Which kind do you grow? Magic or gourmet? When I tell people I'm learning how to grow mushrooms, about half question me about the psilocybin variety.
I would definitely *like* to grow a lot of psilocybin mushrooms (in addition to things like Lion's mane and a few others) and sell/trade/give them away. But I don't a felony drug prison sentence, so I will wait until it's legal or decriminalized. If I was in Denver, where they are decriminalized, I'd have a basement full of 'em. So many people want them now... they'd sell like hotcakes.