ffj's early retirement

Where are you and where are you going?
Seppia

Re: ffj's early retirement

Post by Seppia » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:47 am

Great stuff as usual!
If I can make a recommendation, add sage and rosemary to the herbs that you have.
Fresh rosemary is amazing with oven baked potatoes and roasts, while sage is great in combination with anything that has bacon or sausage.

ffj

Re: ffj's early retirement

Post by ffj » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:08 am

Good luck, I already have sage and rosemary. I must admit though, that I haven't used the sage yet or some of the others that I've grown. Ironically, I don't like to cook a lot during the summer when all of these plants are in their prime. In contrast, I cook a lot when it is cold and dark out and I may try to dry some of these herbs for later use.

So far, I've had great success with sage, rosemary, spearmint, cilantro, oregano, basil, thyme, chives, dill, parsley, tarragon, and lemon balm. A lot of times I'll go out to the plants and pull some leaves and just crush them for their scent as they smell so good. I also started strawberry plants from seed and while the germination rate was atrocious, the ones that sprouted have done quite well. I even have little strawberries growing at the moment. About half of these plants are perennials so this fall I'll create a little herb garden somewhere on the property where they can properly grow and multiply (it's amazing how much water potted plants require). I'm especially excited about the strawberries as I love fresh and perfectly ripe strawberries.