ffj's early retirement

Where are you and where are you going?
Seppia

Re: ffj's early retirement

Post by Seppia » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:47 am

Great stuff as usual!
If I can make a recommendation, add sage and rosemary to the herbs that you have.
Fresh rosemary is amazing with oven baked potatoes and roasts, while sage is great in combination with anything that has bacon or sausage.

ffj

Post by ffj » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:08 am

Good luck, I already have sage and rosemary. I must admit though, that I haven't used the sage yet or some of the others that I've grown. Ironically, I don't like to cook a lot during the summer when all of these plants are in their prime. In contrast, I cook a lot when it is cold and dark out and I may try to dry some of these herbs for later use.

So far, I've had great success with sage, rosemary, spearmint, cilantro, oregano, basil, thyme, chives, dill, parsley, tarragon, and lemon balm. A lot of times I'll go out to the plants and pull some leaves and just crush them for their scent as they smell so good. I also started strawberry plants from seed and while the germination rate was atrocious, the ones that sprouted have done quite well. I even have little strawberries growing at the moment. About half of these plants are perennials so this fall I'll create a little herb garden somewhere on the property where they can properly grow and multiply (it's amazing how much water potted plants require). I'm especially excited about the strawberries as I love fresh and perfectly ripe strawberries.

henrik

Post by henrik » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:53 am

Hey ffj, hope you're doing well.
Did they finish the ladder truck and put it to service yet?

ffj

Post by ffj » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:58 pm

Yep, it's finished and in service. Apologies for not posting those images sooner.

Final product is 41 feet long, 12 feet tall, 11 feet wide and with a ladder that can extend to 107 feet from the ground. It will also flow over 1,000 gallons of water per minute with a 1,500 gpm capable pump. The final price was 1.1 million with hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of equipment in addition.

And here to the left is the truck it is replacing:

Now what is interesting about the original truck is that I was there at the first fire it was used as a brand new truck back in 1994, which was a large warehouse fire, and recently at a business fire which was it official last fire for our dept. So I got to be at its first and last fire which was neat for me. Here is an image of it's last hurrah:

I'm actually the one operating the pump on the truck which made it even more special. The truck will be sold to another dept. at some point. Unfortunately, the aerial ladders have a hard time lasting over twenty years due to their failure to pass their yearly performance tests. It gets to the point the ladders start needing major repairs to keep them serviceable and it becomes a financial drain to keep them operational. Whoever buys the truck will have to invest significant money into it.

Here is a bonus picture of some rope training I performed the other day with the new truck:

ffj

Post by ffj » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:16 pm

In other news I finally finished my damn fence. I think it turned out well and it accomplishes what I set out to do, namely this:

Good dog but shitty owners. My dog looks tough but this pit would kill him in a fight. It took me a couple of days to stretch the wire which went surprisingly well:

And the finished product:

I continue to work odd jobs with a partner of mine. Here is a recent job that I thought turned out well:

What is weird is that I continue to make money that I literally don't know what to do with. There is not much out there that I want to buy anymore and it's quite strange that purchasing power holds no allure for me like it once did. Also, I just don't find many things worth buying as I don't think they will bring me any sort of pleasure. And I mean that from an investment standpoint too, not just baubles. I've never been this ambivalent before.

I also continue to teach new fire recruits with my last class quite challenging. I don't know if it was a fluke or not but for the first time I had the majority of students that would just quit trying when training became hard. This does not make a good firefighter to say the least. I managed to make a few of them quit and I had to fire a couple more due to their incompetence. Most of them were quite young (18 and 19 yo) so I'm hoping this doesn't repeat itself for the next class. I'm pretty good at motivating people to get their asses moving but these guys were just soft. First and hopefully last time.

Much to the chagrin of my wife, a buddy of mine and myself attended a Trump rally here in central Kentucky recently. Some here may think I am a cheerleader for the guy but I really feel I'm pretty objective about the dude, so don't read too much into this. But anyway, I thought it would be interesting to view the spectacle. We stood in line for a couple of hours before they turned everyone away as the building became fully occupied and I'm guessing there were at least 3 to 4 thousand people outside when that occurred. There were protesters with some pretty clever signs I'll have to admit with my favorite "shut the fuck up, donnie" from the Big Lebowsky. Lots of police presence and everything was peaceful. Met some interesting folks with some clearly obsessed with the man. We watched his speech on the outdoor monitor ( very simplistic and the crowd clapped like seals whenever he dropped some simple sentence. Reminded me of Bill Mahars audience) with one guy that was so over the top I actually recorded him he was so funny. I really don't know if he was trolling or if he was that into the speech, I just couldn't tell but holy shit was he funny to watch. And there were vendors everywhere selling those hats and shirts; it really reminded me of a football game to be honest. This will be my first and last rally I'll be attending as it really wasn't worth the hassle but it was interesting.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:20 am

That pit should be fenced in, for his own protection as well as others. They are great dogs, but they are dogs ... they need better supervision than that.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:16 pm

Great looking fence!

Roaming dogs are awful. We have a couple that come around here from time to time and the one is fairly aggressive. Twice we've been in our fenced in garden and it comes up and barks at us until I scare it off.

ffj

Post by ffj » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:01 pm

@jenny, monkey

Almost everyday I deal with wandering dogs and the fence has greatly limited the amount but it also creates a problem when they still get in through the opening in the driveway. Then they get trapped inside! haha The other day some white dog was just chilling beside my barn like he owned the place and I have no clue where he came from. The only solution I guess would be to open and close the gate multiple times a day but I really don't feel like doing that. The pit bull in the picture is actually pretty nice as he just wants to play for the most part but he greatly upsets my dog and I am afraid if my dog bites him the pit bull will attack. My dog would definitely lose that fight without question. Btw, the pit has an electric shock collar that obviously either doesn't work or he bites the bullet and takes his punishment while escaping.

I had a previous neighbor that owned 12 dachshunds. Not kidding. When you walked out in the yard and they spotted you all 12 of them would go insane barking at you and wouldn't stop even after you went back inside. I finally confronted the owners to keep the dogs away from my property. The husband threatened me but the next day the wife moved every one of them to the opposite side of their property. It was times like those that I would fantasize about living alone in the woods. Ha

prognastat

Post by prognastat » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:12 pm

Could be either as pits have a pretty high tolerance to pain, even more so if they have their mind set on something(like possibly playing with the neighbour's dog).

henrik

Post by henrik » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:44 pm

ffj wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:58 pm
Final product
That looks like an impressive piece of engineering, thanks for showing us. Hope it'll serve those guys (including yourself, apparently) well and you'll get to build another one around 2040 or so...
ffj wrote:I continue to make money that I literally don't know what to do with
Have you considered any sort of charity?

ffj

Post by ffj » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:25 pm

@henrik

I won't be around in 2040, haha. Living? Hopefully, but probably not involved with fire trucks anymore.

Regarding charities, I just don't feel most are worth my money to be honest. I have volunteered my time and skills quite a bit and unfortunately at the end of the day I feel most are treating symptoms and not root causes. Maybe I just haven't met up with the right one?

ffj

Post by ffj » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:33 pm

Life has been good and the weather perfect for hiking. Recently I found this on the trail:

More than likely a couple of bucks fought each other ( it's rutting season here for whitetail deer) and one lost part of his antlers in the scuffle. I went ahead and cut off the bad part and now I have a back scratcher I guess. :)

Sometimes bucks get locked up when they fight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it-Fjz-72n0 so I thought I would go off trail and look around and while I didn't find any deer I did find lots of mushrooms in a very small area. Apparently conditions were just right for so many to have grown in such profusion. I don't know what they are just yet as I haven't gotten a guide and the internet hasn't been helpful so if anyone knows what these are called chime in:

I also did something kind of interesting recently. One of the fire departments I worked for had an odd request by a lady and her young daughter. She explained that she needed help hanging an aerial silk in a tree so her daughter could practice and maintain her skills. Apparently they had worked in a circus in the past and wanted to keep doing it in their new home ( they were from out of country). So my buddy calls me up because he needs someone to climb a tree to which I replied sure, why not? And btw, what is an aerial silk? Haha

I had to climb about 20 feet up and attach this:

Once I rappelled down I swung my fat ass on it and declared it safe. :D

Here is a picture of the young lady trying it out the right way:

Life is simple, just the way I like it, and I do the things I choose to do. I just finished brewing 5 gallons of beer, baked two pumpkin pies in preparation for Thanksgiving and me and the dog are about to go hiking again. Good times.