ffj's early retirement

Where are you and where are you going?
ffj

Re: ffj's early retirement

Post by ffj » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:19 pm

Well, I thought my corn problems were over:

This is a classic raccoon situation right here. I lost 10 ears of corn last night. I need another week to fully mature all of the crop and these bastards may not let me get there.

I set the trap out again and hopefully I'll catch the culprit tonight....we'll see.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:46 pm

We went on a garden walk at a club member's home and they have short electric fences around all their gardens. Seems to work to keep even the coons out.

I've had a single coon climb over my 7 foot deer fence, but he was tempted by a birdhouse. I moved the birdhouse and so no more problems.

ffj

Post by ffj » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:48 pm

@monkey
We recently had our neighbors move who live next door and now we have a new family. Now, the old guy who used to live there loved to shoot things when he wasn't fishing so any critter that dared to come on his property, which surrounds my property, pretty much ended up dead. To his credit, he would eat almost everything he shot, and I never had a coon problem while he was still there. I'm thinking he controlled my pest problem without me realizing it.

The electric fence works. I just don't want to invest the money just yet. Hopefully I'll catch that dude tonight.

George the original one

Post by George the original one » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:01 pm

ffj wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:48 pm
The electric fence works. I just don't want to invest the money just yet. Hopefully I'll catch that dude tonight.
Natural abhors a vacuum: there'll be a replacement next year, so you might as well get the fence this year.

ffj

Post by ffj » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:04 pm

@George
I've set the trap for two nights now and the first night he snagged one more ear of corn and managed to steal the bait from the trap without setting it off. :evil: The second night he didn't visit as far as I can tell. Maybe tonights the night.

You're right about the fencing in the long run; he won't be the last pest to come steal my hard labor. Speaking of pests, I've managed to catch at least 20,000 of those damn Japanese beetles. I'm sick of having to empty the trap! I'm really hoping I'm making a dent in next years crop of beetles, at least in my yard.

ffj

Post by ffj » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:26 pm

Work keeps plugging along on the remodel. Not too fast but each week brings progress. It actually works out well as far as finances go as I pay my debts as I incur them and everything you see from the materials to the windows to the paint is paid for with zero debt. If I worked any faster I would owe money!

Painting the trim:

Right now I am painting doors and prepping everything for trim and floor. Before I put down the new floor I want all the painting to be completed. I am also about ready to finish the electrical as far as lights and outlets and the like. It's coming along.

Here is a nice picture of a job I just completed for a lady I work for occasionally. It's a store display for her shop and the wood is recycled shipping containers. I thought she decorated it well. BTW, everything in this picture is for sale, so if something catches your eye, let me know. ;)

I planted hop rhizomes a couple of years ago and this year they have really come on now that they are established. They are quite fragrant when you crush the green flowers and I hope to make some beer with them in the future. I'm impressed at their hardiness and next year should be a riot.

C40

Post by C40 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:29 pm

Great job with the house. And from the views out the windows, it all appears quite idillic

Can I have those plant pictures (lithograms??) in the bottom right of the picture? :-D

Dragline

Post by Dragline » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:32 pm

Mmmmm - beer! Those buds are for you.

Nice work and pics.

ffj

Post by ffj » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:32 pm

@C40
Yes you can! Where shall I ship them to? :) Thank you for the compliment. It's very lush here and easy to grow things which is really nice. And I like seeing cattle and horses out my front window instead of somebody's house with the noise and commotion they would bring.

Oh, and this picture is also for sale:

I call it "I'm tired of your shit" picture. I love it. :lol:

@Dragline

I'm getting close to ditching the beer kits and start making my own from scratch. Probably next year. It's almost too easy to make beer now.

C40

Post by C40 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:59 pm

@ffj - Are those yours, or are they the lady's who has the shop? I was just kidding about giving them to me. I mean, I do like them and I'd like to have them*. But I don't want to buy them, and I don't want you to actually give them to me (or whatever you'd have to do to get them like buy them or ask the lady for them).

* - But I don't even want them currently, I'd only want them for the future. I have more than I'd like stored in someone's basement as it is.

ffj

Post by ffj » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:06 pm

I was kidding too. But yes, they are for sale at the shop. They aren't mine either, they are either on consignment or owned by the lady I work for.

Most patrons of this business are middle-aged or older women, so I assumed you were kidding from the onset. Let me know if you change your mind. :D

C40

Post by C40 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:09 pm

ha, well I do actually like those. And I like that black couch. Though I'm sure I wouldn't buy either the paintings or the couch at what the prices probably are.

I guess those are my tastes. Part super basic/minimalist*, and part old lady.

* - in my van... after I had it all done, someone asked me "are you going to paint it?" and I thought 'what the hell is wrong with you, it is already painted (all white)'.

Jason

Post by Jason » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:05 pm

At first I thought that chick in the painting looked a little downsy. Then I thought it might be a childhood portrait of our current president in his pre-combover days. Either way, no chance I'm hanging that Dorian Gray shit in my house. Whoever that person is, if they come alive on your ass, you are fucked bigly.

ffj

Post by ffj » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:46 pm

@C40
The couch is actually blue and very nice. Solid leather and very heavy. I know it is heavy because I had to carry it out of the house where it was bought without scratching or marking it. For context, $1500 is what she is asking which is pretty good considering they run about $4000 new.

@Jason

Here's the full picture with may worsen or allay your fears:

I'm not quite sure what the artist was going for but I think it's hilarious. Look at the clenched fists, haha

Jason

Post by Jason » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:56 pm

Its either a boy who looks like a girl or a girl who looks like a boy and if you guess wrong you're going to get punched twice in the fucking balls.

This is going to affect my sleep.

ffj

Post by ffj » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:31 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:02 am

So, Jason, you have nightmares about Schrödinger's child, it's both until you call it one?

Jason

Post by Jason » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:27 am

Nature, even when it is perspicuous, tends to make me queasy.

ffj

Post by ffj » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:49 pm

Sometimes life is unpredictable, and yesterday was that day for me.

As I was driving to town a car approached from the other direction. Not an uncommon event, but this particular car had its passenger door wide open which caught my attention. And then the swerving started back and forth all the way into my lane which forced me to slam on my brakes to steer out this idiots way. If I hadn't braked and swerved hard we would have hit head-on. As they passed me I noticed a man and a woman fighting over the steering wheel and as my phone had been thrown almost under the dash from having to brake so forcefully so I had to find a place to pull over to call our police dispatch.

Come to find out it was a domestic dispute and a couple of miles past where we almost collided he stabbed her and forced her out of the moving vehicle. Several people must have been calling about this because EMS passed me a few minutes later responding to where she had been dumped. Interesting trip to town!

I have a pear tree which bears every year. This year I decided to make some pear wine. Now I have never had a drink of pear wine nor do I know if it will taste good but thats not going to stop me from trying. :) There are recipe's out there for it so I know it's been done before and really any fruit that has sugar can be made into a wine.

I started by picking a bushel of pears:

And really all the rest of the process consisted of was cutting up the pears, boiling them for 20 minutes, pouring off the liquid into a primary fermenter, adding some additives, adding lots of sugar, and repeating the steps until I had five gallons of pear juice.

Tomorrow I will check the sugar content and my goal is to achieve 1.08 specific gravity which should yield about 10% alcohol content. Everything I've read about pear wine says that 10% is the ideal percentage as anything greater leads to off-tastes. I'll probably have to add some sugar to achieve this after which I will pitch my yeast. Then it's pretty much a waiting game of racking and letting the wine develop its flavor.

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:39 am

You should consider trying to make Perry too. I'm making cider and hadn't heard of Perry until researching that. I'm liking the shortish turnaround time on cider although going to take a year break from consumption (need to get fit).