ffj's early retirement

Where are you and where are you going?
ffj

Re: ffj's early retirement

Post by ffj »

@Igot

I do have nice views, thanks so much. Here is the back of the property before it turns into woods.

I'm thinking of putting a picnic table back here because it is so private and relaxing. The tall grass will be cut in a couple of weeks as one of my neighbors wants it for hay. He'll cut it and bale it and take it away. I would say it's about two acres of prime grass so we both come out ahead on that deal.

Here is a shot of the woods. Mind you one needed a machete last year to get through this part of the property. I'm very pleased with how it has opened up and how pleasant it looks now. I still have plenty of work ahead of me for the problem areas but I've given myself a head start by working on it this past winter.

@ertyu

No worries for the cats, I built them a loft before I removed the wood and they love it. I also built them a ramp to get up there but they prefer to climb the posts like a squirrel for some reason. The mustachioed one has basically turned even wilder as he spends all of his time roaming and he'll come at night to eat, and I can't get remotely close to him anymore. The two girls are much more open to me and will eat right beside me but they have their limits, no petting just yet. There is only one that I feel will ever let me pet her, and that is yellow face. She almost never leaves the barn and she will purr and rub herself over everything when I feed her and I've been able to touch her tail but she is on guard at all times.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

haha great picture :). Half cat face peeking :). Thanks for the update! Excellent cats! Rest of property ok too :P top picture looks like the windows screensaver. A table to sit at and look over the field sounds awesome
Last edited by ertyu on Thu May 21, 2020 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

ffj

Post by ffj »

Success!

Look who's letting me pet her. She finally gave up the fight and didn't run away when I went to pet her and she'll even let me hand feed her. It was just a matter of time. I'm working on the other female by throwing her individual pieces of food to get her to trust me. She is really skittish though but the situation improves every day. Amazing when I remember how these cats ran and hid from me if I even stepped into the barn not that long ago.

My building has been sponsored by Lowes, haha.

After having to plant a couple of gardens as well as mow grass, and some personal issues ( a death of a friend's wife ) , I have completed the framing of the soffits and put on the house wrap. As much as the scaffolding has been helpful, I am getting tired of climbing up and down these things to perform all of the tasks to get it ready for siding.

My next step is to install the windows and then I will tackle the fascia and soffits by installing the metal trim.

The tomato plants at the new place have perked up and surprisingly nothing has eaten any of them. I thought for sure a rabbit would have a feast if not a groundhog. I have 200 plants there, and I planted another 20 at my other garden. Plus I have another 95 growing at the moment. :?

Why, you may wonder? Because I am experimenting with different set-ups and trying to maximize my growing methods. Next year I hope to be able to sell plants and I need to be able to plan accordingly, and produce nice plants that will sell. My intention is to stick with the heirlooms as they aren't readily available and I should be able to command a slightly higher price.

I'm thinking tomato and pepper plants along with mushrooms should produce a viable business model. As I refuse to try to sell anything subpar it's going to take some effort to get it right.

ffj

Post by ffj »

Windows are in:

My wife helped me hold them while I leveled and screwed them into place. The last thing I wanted was to drop and break one of these guys. I'll probably pick up an entry door tomorrow and start working on that installation. Monday I'll order my soffit and trim material, or maybe Tuesday with the holiday.

My latest attempt at a new strain came out quite well. These are called King Blues.

I think I've got a good handle on oyster mushrooms at this point. Once I get proficient, and mainly consistent with Shiitake I'll be ready to market some mushrooms. Also, my latest attempt at tomato plants have come out very well, and I think I have worked out the bugs to consistency on that endeavor. I am dangerously close to becoming competent in at least those two areas. ;)

C40

Post by C40 »

Love seeing your building progress. Yeah, growing mushrooms is fun :-).

ffj

Post by ffj »

@C40

Which kind do you grow? Magic or gourmet? When I tell people I'm learning how to grow mushrooms, about half question me about the psilocybin variety.

My wife is on vacation so that means that I have to be too, but she's pretty low key so I am still able to get some things done after she gets enough attention. Today was installing the entry door.

The next couple of days will consist of detail work such as flashing the windows, installing hurricane clips, and foam insulating the gaps around the windows and doors.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Wow, amazing. Awesome mushrooms, awesome cats, cows cool also, building really taking shape and looking great. Inspirational.

C40

Post by C40 »

ffj wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:35 pm
@C40

Which kind do you grow? Magic or gourmet? When I tell people I'm learning how to grow mushrooms, about half question me about the psilocybin variety.
I would definitely *like* to grow a lot of psilocybin mushrooms (in addition to things like Lion's mane and a few others) and sell/trade/give them away. But I don't a felony drug prison sentence, so I will wait until it's legal or decriminalized. If I was in Denver, where they are decriminalized, I'd have a basement full of 'em. So many people want them now... they'd sell like hotcakes.

ffj

Post by ffj »

Thanks ertyu, I've got some things going my way for sure. I cleaned out my experimental tree farm of the weeds that had grown amongst the seedlings and some of the sprouts are really taking off.

Unfortunately, I only have one walnut that is attempting to sprout and I don't know why they aren't as prolific as the oaks and hickories.

I left the walnuts on top of the ground all winter so that might explain why they are failing to germinate. I'll try burying them like I did the acorns this winter and see if that doesn't change my luck. I also built a proper upper cage for them to grow today to keep the squirrels out. This will give them room to grow upward without hitting wire. I used scrap wood left over from the build and I already had the wire, so no cash outlay which is nice.

I've got a bunch of redbud seedlings popping up around my house so I think I'll dig them up and put them where the walnuts are so as to not waste space.

@C40

There is definitely a market for them, there is no doubt of that. It's amazing how many people are extolling the virtues of tripping out on these guys. I don't have the disposition to even want to try them but they really seem to be trendy at the moment. I can't imagine they would be any harder to grow than what I'm doing now but like you I would prefer to stay out of the big house. ;)

RoamingFrancis

Post by RoamingFrancis »

What cool pictures! Good luck with your projects!

Igotgoals

Post by Igotgoals »

Yellowface!

Are you putting a cat door in that shop? Or is someone moving to the big house?

ffj

Post by ffj »

Thanks Roaming, no wordsmith here. :) It's just easier to take a picture sometimes.

@Igot

My daughter, who isn't partially colorblind as I am, informs me that she is actually more orange but I am keeping the name, haha. She's going to stay a barn cat however as we have an insanely affectionate male cat that also showed up one day at our doorstep. He arrived with half his hair missing, worms, a broken rib, and very malnourished. Now he is a fatty like me so that's what I call him, and he purrs on command whether you insult him or not. But no, I only let my main pets come in at night and they have designated spots they have to stay in as I have a very low tolerance for accidents and pet hair.

Finished the rafter ties and window flashing.

I also foamed and insulated the air gap between the windows and the framing which sets the stage for starting the soffits.

I picked up the trim and metal for the soffits yesterday and as I was waiting for the manufacturer to cut my order I realized I had given them the wrong measurement for the front and back soffits. Of course it was a number that was too short and of course it was the first thing they cut for me so I couldn't stop them in time. :x

So I had to spend an extra $90 for them to recut it the correct length. The guy asked me if I wanted the wrong sized ones and I said yes, since I paid for them I would take them. I just don't know what I am going to do with them, haha.

The place is run by Mennonites, and I have to say they are some of the nicest people I have ever met. I need one of their hats for when I am working out in the sun but I don't know if that is considered rude to wear one if I don't belong to the group. I may have to go visit Tractor Supply and find a similar one there.

Cheepnis

Post by Cheepnis »

ffj, if you're not careful I think many of us will be coming back more for cat pictures than progress pics, what cuties!

ffj

Post by ffj »

@Cheepnis

Haha, yeah you have a point. I hand feed her everyday before I just dump a bunch of food out so that she trusts me even more and I should take a picture of that, especially when she swats the food out of my hand when I tease her. To be honest, I'm a little surprised by all of the attention they are getting and I joke with my wife how they have a fan club. :D

O.K., I've been working on the soffits and it took me a bit of head scratching figuring out how some of this works, especially the transitions. But you start with what is called an "F and J channel" along with the drip edge.

After those are installed, then you can put in the actually soffit followed by the fascia.

The fascia tucks under the drip edge so any water naturally falls to the ground if it gets past the edge of the roof.

The F and J channel is the color of the future wall panels so that it will match when I slide them into place.

All of these steps naturally take a bit of time especially since I am working in the air off of scaffolding. But once I am done then I am truly done and I shouldn't have to get back up there again which is nice.

I should finish all four sides today and then Monday or Tues. I plan on ordering my wall panels.

ffj

Post by ffj »

I took a pretty good bite to get these pictures so for those that enjoy the cats you are welcome. ;)

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Ah, now for the actual content the internet exists for - cat pictures!

Awsome cats - look clean, healthy, and vigorous. Excellent catting!

Why did they bite you?

ffj

Post by ffj »

@ertyu

She just got a little over-enthusiastic grabbing the food out of my fingers. Between the claws and the teeth you have to be careful. But she wasn't trying to hurt me intentionally. Still hurt though. ;)

In other news I received an unexpected phone call today from the house-builder I retained. He wasn't able to get to me until August but today he said he could start Thursday of this week which sent me scrambling to line up materials and an excavator to ready the site. If all goes well we should start framing Thursday morning which is exciting.

I was going to frame the house myself but working by yourself really takes a long time to finish anything. And I am beginning to get impatient with the speed of this whole operation. For what I will be paying this guy and his crew I can easily make up in doing other work on the house. I have offered to help him with the work for a discount and we'll see where that goes as I just might continue to work on the shop instead. We'll see.

ffj

Post by ffj »

Whew, the whole operation just got very busy in preparation for the builders tomorrow.

Finally, I have completed the roof and I don't have to climb up there again. It's finished, thankfully. I thought it turned out really well considering I have never done this type of metalwork before.

In more detail. I decided when I designed the building that I was going to incorporate little details such as this to distinguish it from cookie-cutter metal pole buildings. That is also why I have a split face block foundation. It costs more money and definitely more time but the final product should be pleasing to the eye.

My excavator guy showed up today to dig out the interior of the foundation for more room. This was a mistake on my part in not having done this before the walls went up but in all fairness I thought the depth would be adequate before, UNTIL I saw my neighbors house and how they parsed out every bit of room under their house. It makes everything so much easier to access and work on when you have more room, so that is why I got that done today before the carpenters show up tomorrow.

Th excavator managed to break a few block off with his machine and if you will notice the fresh mortar on the center block you can see where I had to repair it. I couldn't complain too much as he did a good job in a very tight space otherwise.

We start building the house tomorrow.

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

That's exciting! I think you'll get your house finished before we finish our school bus renovation. :roll: You are making progress left and right, it's really fun to see.

Out here in Oregon, there is a potential ballet measure to legalize mushrooms for therapeutic treatments. Also, I think I've heard that people will start their own churches and then it is legal to use mushrooms as it is part of their 'religion'. Not sure if that would fly in the South though.

ffj

Post by ffj »

@mooretrees

You should see the mushrooms I have growing, so much that I am just looking for people to give them to for free. I am feeling pretty comfortable with certain types of mushrooms in that I feel I could repeat the growing process over and over with success. I think I am going to stop experimenting and just focus on honing the process of the ones I really like for a while, which are King Blues, King oysters, and Shiitake. I need more work on the shiitake, especially to keep them from fusing together as they grow.

I've never tried growing the magic kind but I can't imagine it would be radically different from the gourmets. Like weed, I'm sure they will be legal throughout the States soon.

Thanks Bigato, and always remember I only show the best examples. ;)

The Amish crew started today and knocked out the floor. It's a father and sons team and they really work well together, and it's a great thing to watch as they just know what to do at every step.

I am currently hemorrhaging money as I try to keep them supplied in material. I've spent $9000 in the last two days in wood alone, and these guys will probably need $9000 more next week in supplies. It's a bit unsettling writing these checks but I am confident it will pay off in the end.

Tomorrow, if the rain holds off, the walls go up.