ffj's early retirement

Where are you and where are you going?
theanimal

Re: ffj's early retirement

Post by theanimal »

What Henrik said. I look forward to checking the site each day and seeing what you have accomplished. It's impressive. You have a beautiful property.

ffj

Post by ffj »

@henrik

Keep in mind that I'm not really doing anything else besides some gardening and lawn care. I appreciate the compliment though, and if this inspires anybody else than that's great. I've always said that this is one way I can contribute to the community, by demystifying a lot of the trades. Nobody is asking my advice on how to invest or my thoughts on climate change, haha, for good reason. I know which lane to stay in. ;)

The number of views is interesting. Recently I received a huge spike and knowing that there are only a few thousand of us it made me wonder if somehow the thread was linked elsewhere. I know my life is fascinating, 8-) , but it seems to me that there is an anomaly occurring.

No requirements in the construction as far as fire suppression. The house may require some additional steps but the shop not that I am aware. I'll let you know if I discover anything.

@the animal

It is a beautiful property, which I appreciate greatly. I took a picture of my foundation from the peak of the roof and I kind of marveled on how picturesque the whole area looks. I love being out here.

@MEA

It does look kind of neat, doesn't it?

These were roof panels off of a house that was dismantled, and the pattern work is from the tar paper and shingles.

Funny story: One of the lumber delivery guys asked if I had stained all of the wood when he saw it upon delivery of the I-joists. I said no, just 40 year old wood, haha.

Current progress:

The fascia and slats for the metal roof are installed. My next step is to order the metal roofing.

ffj

Post by ffj »

Update on the cats:

The male, the mustachioed cat, has decided to start roaming and he doesn't spend too much time in the barn anymore. He is mostly white, so every now and then I will spy him at the edge of the woods in the tall grass. As his color stands out so well, he's not hard to spot. The females however, seem to like the barn quite a bit, although they roam a little bit, but not too far from their perch. Yellowface is by far the most friendly and we've gotten to the point where she will eat right next to me. And she'll purr and do the kneading with her paws and rubbing against stuff. But she won't let me touch her yet but I think it will happen soon as I think she wants some affection.

The neighbors are quiet once again as another one of them got arrested the other day. I haven't found out who just yet but there were 5 police cars in their driveway Thursday afternoon. It is astounding the difference between when they are active and when they get locked up out here. I've grown to hate the entire drug-addled bunch and it's not healthy, so I leave during the day and work on my new place.

Speaking of:

Image[/url]

I need a roof. I took the time during the rain to order my new roof panels. My wife wants to stay in the "gray" family and this color is called charcoal. The walls will be a lighter shade of gray.

If you notice on the building, I have left off the fly rafters. There is a reason for this and it originates over a problem I had no control over.

The building is out of square. Not by much for this span, 2 inches, but it will be an issue once the roof panels are applied. The masons blocked up the walls out of square when it should have been dead on, and there is nothing I can do about it except fudge a little bit and feather out the inconsistencies so the naked eye can't discern them.

The roof panels are perfectly square, so if I follow the out of square building, then they will "stair-step" to compensate along the front edges. I don't want this, so I will fudge along the eaves which means the edges won't be perfectly parallel with the building. Much easier to trick the eye this way, and why I need to allow the roof panels to determine where the fly rafters land versus the other way around. When this is complete with trim, nobody will be able to see the discrepancies.

I am also in talks with an Amish builder who is currently framing my neighbors house. I spoke with him about possibly framing my house and even a discount if I helped him. I am not happy with the rate of progress doing everything myself, and for $4/square foot, I could have my house framed in a couple of weeks once he could get to me. I'll let you guys know what happens.

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies »

How do you measure the squareness? I'm picturing starting at one corner, measuring 90 degrees (with what? one of those angle gauges like for cutting wood?) and putting a line to another peg at next corner, confirming 90 and so forth. But depending on the corner you start at, seems like would get wonky fast but guess you could just correct as you find the more "true" corners? And did you start noticing before measuring that things were off due to boards not quite lining up or was it more of a sanity check and you found then?

Oh, I guess you could just peg each corner, draw a line/string and then measure all the angles and lengths and figure it out that way? For the vertical, I've seen the trick with the hose/tube and water that is sort of like the tool you can make to balance motorcycle carbs. But I'm still fuzzy on the x/y measuring.

Cheepnis

Post by Cheepnis »

Count me in the "checks in on the regular" camp, great progress!

@SWB, no actual angle measuring required. Grab a 100' tape measure and hook your corner then pull to the opposite corner diagonal from you as in his picture. Make sure the two measurements match and you're good to go. Make sure everything you install from that point onward is plumb and your measurements will hold as you build up. Sounds like the brick layers messed this one up and ffj decided to keep is walls plumb instead of pushing one or more to true it up at the height of the top plate.

ffj

Post by ffj »

@SWB

What Cheepnis said basically. The diagonal measurements will always be the same when a square or rectangle is "square" or has 90 degree corners. So when I measured the corners it was exactly 2 inches out, meaning one diagonal was 2 inches longer. This is something the masons should have checked when they built their "leads" or corners. Since the plywood is flush with the outside on the block ( the metal siding is going to go past the plywood and onto the face of the block) I couldn't just tune my sill plates to make square as that would have looked horrible. Imagine a one inch offset just hanging past the block, not good. So I'm doing the next best thing and hiding the problem in the eaves and if I do it right nobody will ever see an issue.

When one builds there are three things that have to remain constant: it has to be level, plumb, and square. And there are many tricks out there when that doesn't always hold true. Especially when you do finish work, which I started out in many years ago. So even though it irritated me that the block layers screwed up, I also knew it wasn't the end of the world either.

@Cheepnis

Thanks for the compliment and thanks for the help.

C40

Post by C40 »

Oh man that is a beautiful property. It's gonna feel SO F*ING GOOD to sit out on your porch/deck/patio/lawn and enjoy the view around the house you built. Damn

ffj

Post by ffj »

It already feels good. I have good neighbors at the new place, plenty of space, and privacy.

The other day I spent a couple of hours just wandering around my woods identifying trees and shrubs and to me that is extremely relaxing. I also have a cot in my barn so when I get tired I lay down and take a nap. It's awesome. I work hard out there but things are much more simple and most importantly to me, private. It has been so long since I have had this much privacy and I love it.

My current neighbors have driven me to take the steps I needed to keep my sanity, and just maybe one day I may thank them for it. Right now they can go to hell but who knows 5 years from now? ;)

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Some folks only purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others, sounds like your current neighbors fit the bill.

ffj

Post by ffj »

@2birds

They're doing a bang-up job of showcasing how to struggle in life. If they didn't disrupt my life so much I wouldn't care, but they have taken away my ability to relax on my own property. I used to enjoy spending time in my yard but no more as I don't enjoy watching crackheads beat on cars in a garbage dump that used to be a pristine field with horses. I have blocked them from view for the most part but it is impossible for the entire property, and the noise continues which is the most maddening of all. Another year though and I won't have to deal with them again so that is positive.

I received the metal roofing panels today and even though it was too windy to be lifting what are basically 16 foot sails, haha, I did it anyway. It put me flat on my ass one time but luckily I was on the ground when a wind gust blew me over with a panel in my hands. If I waited for ideal weather conditions to work on this property then I would never get anything done. Plus the Amish guys building my neighbors house were throwing down 4 X 8 plywood sheets on 12/12 pitched roofs so I couldn't let them see me as weak, ha.

Remember my problem with the building being slightly out of square? I did two things to rectify the situation. The first correction came at the eave on with the starter panel. I simply made it slightly askew and out of parallel by about a good 1/2 inch. Over 16 feet your eye won't pick up on the discrepancy. The other correction involved allowing a small amount of stair-stepping on the front edge.

Again, once a gutter is installed and even now, it's hard to pick up that the front edges aren't perfectly aligned. I allowed about 1/8 of an inch of offset and that seems to be a sweet spot to not notice.

It took seventeen panels to cover the 51 feet and once I tacked them into place, it was time to screw off the entire side of the roof. To keep a nice pattern I ran a string line and simply followed the straight edge. I set about 750 screws and that took awhile.

I finished the front today and tomorrow I tackle the back.

A curious cow right across my property line, because why not? ;)

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Did you start on the foundation of the new house? Is that what I'm seeing in the middle left of the first photo? My apologies if I missed this mentioned earlier.

ffj

Post by ffj »

@ animal

Yeah, you missed it somehow. I built the foundation for the house and the shop at the same time, and since I had the wood already for the shop, I decided to build it first since the wood filled up my barn.

Another very busy day today with perfect weather. Finished the roof panels but I still lack the ridge cap as I just ran out of steam and time. And it is going to rain tonight so I will have water coming in from the ridge but not a big deal.

The roof makes the interior look huge and it makes me realize how big this damn thing really is at 1,300 square feet of open floor space. I love it though.

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

Nice shop. What general area of Kentucky are you in? I have family all over the state. Quite a few are such a mess that they could be your neighbors unfortunately.

ffj

Post by ffj »

I live in the central part of the state and I grew up in the eastern part of the state, where everybody loves to make a documentary. The poor, proud mountain people, yada, yada.

If any of these idiots next to me are from your people, then you need to get your ass down here and take them away. Just bring a couple of junked cars filled with drugs and a couple of mentally unstable women and it would be like a moth to flame. You could lead them anywhere far, far away from me. ;)

On a serious note, these assholes are going to cost me substantial money when I sell my house. I'm already prepared to lose at least $50,000 just because they exist right next door. It's one of the reasons I'm trying to keep the cost of my new house low by doing most of the work. If I get out of this with no money owed then I will consider myself lucky.

ffj

Post by ffj »

I've been doing a lot of landscape, gardening, and grass cutting here lately which has slowed my progress with building. Today I planted 200 tomato plants that I started from seed in my new garden. These guys looked a little rough around the edges as I started them early and they had to endure some extreme weather. Since I don't know how many will flourish or whether the rabbits or groundhogs will eat a bunch, I decided to over-plant and if only a quarter come through for me, then 50 tomato plants is still substantial. I planted all heirloom varieties: cherokee purple, mortgage lifter, yellow brandywine, pink brandywine, beefsteak, krim, roma, yellow pear, german johnson, giant belgium.

The whole garden is basically an experiment anyway, as I have an established garden at my old place. I am really curious what conditions and results I will experience and if there are any problems I want to get a head start on tackling them. I still had over a hundred plants when I finished, and I took them to the fire dept. and gave them away to my fire buddies. My original plan was to sell them sort of like Sky is doing, but they didn't finish to a high enough quality. Next year I will have a green house and I will avoid many of the problems I faced with these tomatoes.

I started working on the soffits and fly rafters. Hopefully in the next couple of days that task will be finished. Having to work off of ladders and scaffolding is a slow endeavor.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Mmmm... now I know who to visit if I want a tasty tomato sandwich. If you don’t care about arterial clogging, I will pass on my recipe for tomato pie which only works if you have perfectly ripe tomatoes that are still warm from the garden.

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

ffj wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:25 pm
I've been doing a lot of landscape, gardening, and grass cutting here lately which has slowed my progress with building. Today I planted 200 tomato plants that I started from seed in my new garden. These guys looked a little rough around the edges as I started them early and they had to endure some extreme weather. Since I don't know how many will flourish or whether the rabbits or groundhogs will eat a bunch, I decided to over-plant and if only a quarter come through for me, then 50 tomato plants is still substantial. I planted all heirloom varieties: cherokee purple, mortgage lifter, yellow brandywine, pink brandywine, beefsteak, krim, roma, yellow pear, german johnson, giant belgium.

The whole garden is basically an experiment anyway, as I have an established garden at my old place. I am really curious what conditions and results I will experience and if there are any problems I want to get a head start on tackling them. I still had over a hundred plants when I finished, and I took them to the fire dept. and gave them away to my fire buddies. My original plan was to sell them sort of like Sky is doing, but they didn't finish to a high enough quality. Next year I will have a green house and I will avoid many of the problems I faced with these tomatoes.

I started working on the soffits and fly rafters. Hopefully in the next couple of days that task will be finished. Having to work off of ladders and scaffolding is a slow endeavor.

Most of my folks came from Meade County and have spread mostly central with a few east. I ended up in eastern Tennessee. Motley crew for sure.

ffj

Post by ffj »

@7

Bring a basket if these guys take off, haha. We were supposed to get a good rain last night and the one time I want it to rain it doesn't. :x

Based on how quickly my extra plants were taken yesterday, maybe I should have sold them after all at the farmers market. I've got an experimental batch growing right now with a new grow light set-up that are looking professional grade. Might be worth it to visit the market with them.

@OTCW

I had to look up where Meade County was to be sure, and although I don't think I've been there I have been to Louisville and the surrounding areas many times. Kentucky has 120 counties so it's easy to lose track of so many.

East Tennessee is nice. Might as well be part of Kentucky, and aside from different sports teams, orange versus blue, there's not a whole lot of difference. Everybody is a redneck underneath it all, :) .

Igotgoals

Post by Igotgoals »

It really does seem so much larger with the roof on doesn't it? What a nice shop you will have.
I can't believe you set up another garden!
You are one busy guy that's for sure.

You really have a nice spot. The views are so nice.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

how are the cats taking this upheaval, that's their lumber pile disturbed haha