ffj's early retirement

Where are you and where are you going?
Jason

Re: ffj's early retirement

Post by Jason » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:17 pm

Well, that's what came up when I googled it. I agree, it doesn't seem fair. You should see the prices you can get for this shit on the blackmarket. I think one cornea would put me into retirement. I guess that could affect my ability to read, so I would probably opt a kidney at the right price. I think you get hotel and airfare too. Blood and semen? No thanks. Not even a week's food bill.

And apparently this also applies to selling your children.

ffj

Post by ffj » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:59 pm

@the animal

Don't want to hear it, haha. Some of us don't want to live in the arctic. :D I'm good to around 20 degrees and then it stops being fun and no amount of snow is going to make up for the fact that I can't feel my face. Monkey was talking about his chickens and I can relate; mine haven't left their house in 3 days. They're all like "hell no". ha

Riddle me this: Why do we donate blood but are able to sell plasma? And who receives the donated blood and at what cost to the patient? I've never looked into it. Anybody know?

I think it would be pretty scary if we could sell any or all body parts. Yikes.

Jason

Post by Jason » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:04 am

I watch these sappy videos of people biking across the country to listen to the beat of their dead loved one's heart in another living person's body and for about thirty seconds I feel good about things until I remember that if you remove the feel good conditions of the situation they are most probably just a bunch of assholes but now I'm thinking that the medical industry is making a shitload on the transplant and the family of the person who provided the organ is just trying to feel like some good came out of it but would probably like to see some money because, well, I'm like that.

Edit: It just struck me that FFJ's blog is the place to talk about shit that is interesting but doesn't quite rise to the level of deserving a thread i.e. fire trucks, jello, retirement planning through selling one's organs.
Last edited by Jason on Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

henrik

Post by henrik » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:08 am

theanimal wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:34 pm
insert <Obligatory comment about winter not being that bad and you can still go outside and have fun.>
Or perhaps some perspective:)

Edit: or another piece of perspective -- be happy you're not working any more. You probably have enough experience operating pumps and fire hoses in sub-zero conditions.

ffj

Post by ffj » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:23 pm

@Jason
Haha, I think you hit the nail on the head. Just interesting enough not to be kicked off of the forum. No worries, I've accepted it. :)

@henrik

Yeah, I was cry-babying a bit yesterday. And yes, firefighting in sub-zero weather sucks. I remember one such fire when it was 20 below zero. While you were in the house that was burning everything was fine, it was when you exited everything went to hell. Like all good firemen, we put the fire out, but we also extinguished our heat source. All of that water I had been spraying coated my gear which instantly turned to ice once I left the house and then you could hardly move haha. I remember one of my guys having to forcibly hammer on my air pack with his fists because it was frozen to my back. I couldn't get it off otherwise. Makes for good stories but at the time it is no fun at all.

Jason

Post by Jason » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:10 pm

ffj wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:23 pm
@Jason
Haha, I think you hit the nail on the head. Just interesting enough not to be kicked off of the forum. No worries, I've accepted it. :)
I didn't mean that your narrative isn't significant or interesting, I meant that in addition to your own thingamabob, it seems that this is the place that all things ancillary, tangential, fleeting, unclassifiable, highly personal, questionably relevant, semi-serious and fundamentally non-essential, get shit talked out. I guess what I'm saying is that you appear to be the bartender of the forum.

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:12 am

ffj, I'm a little late to this party...but of course I have Thoughts.

1. Your photo of the snowy landscape from your lovely, insulated, high-end window? Looks pretty darned good to me. Sprinkle some bird seed outside and go back to the computer. :D

2. Selling an organ. We knew someone who sold a kidney to his relative for $500. This struck me as utterly bizarre. Either it's a loving gesture given for free, or it's a freaking body part worth a fortune. $500 is both too little and too much. WHY??

3. I love the "hell, no" from your chickens. Sometimes we need to learn from a higher intelligence.

Jason

Post by Jason » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:33 am

halfmoon wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:12 am

2. Selling an organ. We knew someone who sold a kidney to his relative for $500. This struck me as utterly bizarre. Either it's a loving gesture given for free, or it's a freaking body part worth a fortune. $500 is both too little and too much. WHY??
I think you could take the position that he was at once being "fair" as well as the worst negotiator on the planet outside of the highest ranking US elected official you can think of. If I had to guess, he was working off of assessed value (parts and labor) as opposed to market value. He wasn't factoring in the life or death circumstances of the potential buyer. I could see looking at a detached kidney in a medicine jar and saying "Yeah, $100 for the kidney and $400 for getting it out seems about right." But that's only if you plan on just sticking it on a mantel. It's different if the person buying it needs it in order to live. Like if you owned a used car that was worth $500 under normal circumstances but someone came up to you during the apocalypse and it was the only used car left in the area you should get a lot more for it at that time than during non-apocalyptic times.

Maybe the buyer misled him and said "I just collect kidneys." But my guess is he smiles thinking about what a great deal he made every time he takes a steady piss.

ffj

Post by ffj » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:45 am

When I'm dead they can have whatever they want assuming any of it would still work. But I'm not giving up anything voluntarily before then. Not even for $500. :shock: WTF?

ffj

Post by ffj » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:49 pm

Life has been very busy as of late. As hard as I try to stay out of the workforce, it keeps sucking me back in by various means, mainly by people asking me to help them with their needs. Currently I am in the process of remodeling a home by by re-doing the master bath, the front entrance, the kitchen and building a room addition. It has been a lot of work to say the least and one of the guys that I normally help is helping me with this job. The trade-off is that he wants help with his next job, which is trimming out a 5,000 sf home. The money is good but this is getting out of control.

Meet Cash:

Cash is named Cash because according to his owners (my neighbors) he is the most expensive free dog they have ever received. Cash just cost them another $100 because he took my shoes off my porch and chewed them to pieces. Cash also likes to kill my chickens, eat my dog's food, and poop in my yard. One time as he was squatting down I noticed something long coming out of his ass which perplexed me but at the time I was more concerned with him pooping in his yard instead of mine. Each time I yelled at him to leave he would bark at me (he barks a lot at me), which caused whatever was coming out of his butt to come out some more with each bark. Finally, after a salvo of expressing his displeasure at me at interrupting his morning constitution, a long object ejected itself and Cash promptly ran to his yard leaving me with his deposit. Come to find out, he also enjoys eating socks.

Not only is Cash a nuisance, but other dogs regularly find their way to my yard. One morning a chocolate lab, a pit bull, Cash, my dog, a blue heeler, and a bulldog were all running around my yard and I decided I'd had enough. It's time to build a fence that will keep my dog inside my property and others out. I would also like to have some free-ranging chickens that won't get eaten. So today I started in earnest building a fence that will encompass an acre. I'm going to take my time as digging holes sucks for the most part but I think the payoff is going to be nice, not only no more roaming dogs but also it will set boundary's for future landscaping which will help tie everything together. And it may make a thief choose an easier target.

I'll use woven wire for actual fencing and planks to mimic a horse fence for the front of the house.

I also have started my tomato and pepper plants as well as some flowers. I experimented with straight white led lights this time and they seem to work fairly well. Currently I have about 60 tomato plants and about 20 peppers as it's always best to overgrow for future losses. I'm hoping to set them out in a cold frame here soon but winter just won't give it up quite yet.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:04 pm

Are you using standard flourescents or specific grow lights for that setup? I'm thinking of building something similar. I already have the standard tubes and it's my understanding that the main problem with incadescents/standard lights is the heat and not the spectrum.

PS: My neighbor's new dog is called Penny. They got her for free :mrgreen:

George the original one

Post by George the original one » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:49 pm

Nice starts! Mine look to be weeks behind yours.

ffj

Post by ffj » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:48 pm

@jacob

Those are off the shelf led shop lights. They were $29 apiece but I got them for $22 apiece on clearance at Lowes. I can't find the box or remember the manufacturer and the lights don't have a maker sticker so I don't know the name of them but I think it was Utilitech? I had to supply the cord and wire them up but I had a bunch of cords lying around from the old fluorescents that I had trashed. I got the inspiration from the led hydroponic system sitting below the table, which has several colors for a fuller spectrum. I needed more lights for my shop so I rationalized that if they didn't work as grow lights then I would use them for my workshop, but they seem to work pretty well. At night it looks like a grow operation upstairs. haha

@George

I started the bigger ones in February because I was bored and wanted something to grow, which was a little too soon. Now they are getting too big and they need to be outside but the weather has been horrible. It snowed 4 inches several days ago and today it hasn't broken 36 degrees F. It's still too cold for a cold frame.

Here is what else I'm growing.

This is wheat grass and this container was started 5 days ago. There is no soil, just seeds and once a day watering with holes in the bottom of the container for drainage. You simply soak the seeds for eight hours, dump them in the container, and watch them grow with a watering once a day. This is strictly for my chickens although it's perfectly edible for humans too. I paid $8 for a 50 pound sack of wheat seeds and I should conservatively be able to grow at least 200 pounds of feed for them out of that. They eat the roots, leaves and leftover seeds leaving nothing to waste. I'm also experimenting with barley but it isn't as prolific as the wheat but I should still be able to double my yield. Here is a video on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_zpsoCgHyE

theanimal

Post by theanimal » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:57 pm

What are you growing under the full spectrum lights? I've read they are better for growing than the plain white ones. But I doubt it makes a significant difference for home applications.

That story about Cash was entertaining. There's not much worse than other people's nuisance dogs.

ffj

Post by ffj » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:17 am

@animal

Bell peppers at the moment. But man are they growing slowly; I don't think it is warm enough for them to really take off. It took two weeks for them to germinate and now that they are a plant it just seems they've stopped growing but they do look healthy.

For contrast, the tomatoes germinated in 4 days and grew very fast in the hydroponic system and more importantly transplanted very well into soil. I think its a lack of warmth issue as they perform much better under hot conditions.

My neighbors (they moved in about a year ago) are actually pretty good people so the dog doesn't bother me too much most of the time. However, one of my pet peeves is walking around my yard and having a dog run up and bark at me, which Cash likes to do when they are gone. That's when I wish I could run his ass down and tackle him, but that's not going to happen. That son-of-a-bitch can run like a deer. :D

The fence will keep him where he needs to be and the neighbors have already offered to pay for some of it which a lot of people wouldn't have done.

As I am typing this I just noticed that there is a pit bull running around getting my dog riled up. Time to go to work. :roll:

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:20 am

http://www.leevalley.com/us/garden/page ... at=2,43224 You can always throw more electricity at the problem.

ffj

Post by ffj » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:04 pm

Yeah, I thought about that, but I didn't want one more thing to plug in the outlet. I haven't noticed an increase in my electric bill with the lights but I assume a heating mat will have a much higher wattage output. As I can buy pepper plants for a dollar apiece here in a few weeks I don't think it will be worth buying one. Maybe next year when I don't have to buy any more lights.

The pit bull is still in my yard as I can't run him off. He just wants to play I guess. When I shoo him away he just comes right back and lays down and watches me dig holes. What are you gonna do?

ffj

Post by ffj » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:47 am

Our ladder truck is finally getting built after months of being queued in line. Remarkably, this process started well over two years ago and now it is finally happening. I thought I would share some of the build pictures thus far. We are hoping to receive a finished truck sometime in May but we'll see.

I didn't take the pictures so they are a little bit potato quality, but the chassis is well on the way as well as the body of the truck. They have also mounted the pump internals. We'll be doing a mid-build inspection sometime soon.