ffj's early retirement

Where are you and where are you going?
Fish

Re: ffj's early retirement

Post by Fish » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:58 am

I see you and Steven Mnuchin both received the same Christmas gift. :)

ffj

Post by ffj » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:05 pm

@Jason
Well there is such a thing as Jello-shots, so all is not lost. haha

@Fish
I had to look that up but what's funny is that I am actually excited about getting all of this horse poop. I've tried explaining to my family what a huge score this has been, I got two more trailer-loads today, only to be met with an absent-minded "that's nice dear" from my wife and the kids absolutely could not care less. Sometimes I wonder how this whole marriage and family thing works, I mean it's free too! :D

Any of you guys familiar with bourbon whiskey? I got to try the famous Pappy Van Winkle 15 year today for the first time. A bottle of this runs at least $500 and more likely will cost upwards of $1000. It's pretty scarce and there is a major bourbon craze going on at the moment.

I always drink bourbon neat and this stuff was pretty smooth. Was it $500 smooth? I dunno, my Elijah Craig 12 year at $32/bottle is pretty good. Here is a primer on Pappy if you are interested:

https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/ ... -expensive

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:26 am

Listen people, all this shit becomes tasty parsley in a few months, what’s not to like?

No that probably won’t work...

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:07 am

I grew up with that identical cookbook staring at me from the counter-top. In about the same condition, too. My mom got it when she got married, but it was 1963. Didn't you mention somewhere that our lives seem to run in parallel? Haha! But, alas, I do not enjoy whiskey. And it was my grandmother who always had a freshly made batch of Jello/bananas waiting for us.

ffj

Post by ffj » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:26 am

@FBeyer
Exactly! The reason we have a freezer full of delicious vegetables is because a horse was gracious enough to poop after eating all of that concentrated pasture grass and feed and a horse trainer picked it up and composted it. It's the circle of life :) . That'll be my next sermon the next time we eat vegetables from the garden, haha. You get it, why can't my family appreciate that too? ;)

@Dave

This is bourbon Dave, not just whiskey, and certainly not whisky. :D I've just recently explored what the huge fuss is all about and what makes bourbon interesting is the really wide range of flavor profiles based upon aging and mash bills, temperature and weather patterns while in the rick house etc. It is an interesting subject to learn about but like all fads this stuff gets wildly overpriced really quick. My father-in-law received that bottle as a gift a few years ago and decided to drink it, but if he had waited he could have sold it unopened and bought multiple bottles of really good bourbon and still had money left over. Even the empty bottle will be worth a fair amount, but he had better sell while the market is high.

Green jello and bananas, brings back the memories. ;)

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:33 pm

Growing up, a friend's mom would make a lime jello with walnuts, pineapple and I think sour cream. I actually really liked that but I'd rather have my mom's trifle that does feature raspberry jello along with custard, pound cape, fresh raspberries and canned mandarin orange slices and of course whipped heavy cream. My wife is weirded out by the ingredients for jello and prefers alternatives that do not have those animal parts.

There is an odd parallel though with this jello thing over in Japan. I first encountered it at the 1 year celebration of the passing of my wife's grandmother. They make a dish that looks like jello but is not sweet (like some mentioned above) and contains a medley of seafood. This is apparently a very traditional dish (as was most of the food at the catered gathering -- the gaijin also had steak to accommodate our potential lack of appreciation of such dishes). I later noticed this same dish at a conveyer belt sushi place (in my book, not worth it if you have limited time in Japan but some friends picked it). It is supposed to be more of a custard than a jello but maybe the modern take uses agar agar (seaweed-derived thickener that works like jello)? It looked much more like jello than custard to me.

I'm jealous about the Pappy. Although so far, the only hard liquor in that rough neighborhood that I've really enjoyed has been Macallan 12 Year Scotch.

ffj

Post by ffj » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:29 pm

@Saving

Yeah,the main ingredients are animal bones and pig skin apparently, so I don't blame your wife for being turned off on the list of what constitutes jello. Interesting on your experience in Japan, did you actually eat some of it?

That will most likely be the last time such an expensive bourbon passes my lips. I wouldn't be too jealous because as it was good, it is still wildly over-priced. I am slowly learning the differences in bourbon and like music, much of the differences come down to personal preference. He also had some Stagg, Jr. and some Eagle Rare and I vastly preferred the much cheaper Eagle Rare as the Stagg was much too hot. Like light your mouth on fire hot.

If you listen to the "experts" they will tell you to start your entry to a good bourbon collection with Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, Elijah Craig, Four Roses Small Batch, and possibly a Woodford Reserve. It's all subjective though and if you are a Scotch fan than bourbon may not be to your liking. Since I live in the heart of bourbon country I have access to a lot of variety and it's kind of fun to try new things, within a certain price range of course. :D

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:21 pm

@ffj I was a bit weirded out by it and didn't want to try it in the social situation. Then I could have tried it at the conveyor belt sushi but... I didn't. If I have another chance, I'll have to try it. Thinking about jello more -- these days, if I came across an unknown jello dish, I'd probably pass. Maybe as kids we're more open to new foods? It's hard to feed our 2 year old some veggies but he loves things like Nattō or fermented soybeans. I don't mind the taste of that but the texture is odd and it's super stringy.

ffj

Post by ffj » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:51 pm

This month would have been the first opportunity to have retired if I hadn't bought 4 years of time back from my employer. Those four years weren't cheap but having had the last 3.5 years off work has been wonderful. Out of an organization of hundreds, I can only think of a handful of others that also pulled the plug early which really highlights how few value and/or prepare for what I and a few others did. I think it comes down to personality really as the most frequent questions I get after leaving so soon are "do you miss it?" and "what do you do with your time/are you bored?" I never get questions on how it was possible really.

Anyway, what made me think of the whole money management/ERE thing today was a kind of shocking Craigslist ad I saw last night. I don't think it was a joke but it could be a play for donations. And if it is real, it just brings home even more the importance of what Jacob and others here are doing. I've been pretty fucking poor in my life but I don't think I would have ever considered this. Check this out:

Image[url=

Maybe I'm reading too much into the ad as it could be fake, but I am so happy to have found this site and like minded travelers.

Smashter

Post by Smashter » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:27 pm

Whoa. That's got to be scam. Although who knows, apparently the same sort of thing was happening back in 2009.

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/weird/Man ... slist.html

Regardless, I too am very grateful to not be in that position.

ffj

Post by ffj » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:06 am

@Smashter

I'd say you are right. That's the first time I've seen such a ploy so it caught me off-guard I guess. There was a couple that tried to sell their baby at our local Wal-Mart through Craigslist a few years ago (they were prosecuted) however so maybe that influenced me.

I am currently holed up in my home due to weather. The roads are a mess due to all of the snow and cold air. It dipped below zero last night and currently it's a balmy 9 degrees F outside. :( I've already got my next project lined up which unfortunately is all outside work, and this weather is not cooperating at all. I don't mind spending time in my home but when you are forced it takes on a whole new connotation.

A view from captivity: ;)

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:48 pm

Winter is horrid. This winter has been extremely cold compared to the last couple, with our bottom temps hitting -20F a few times, and on top of that we've gotten 6-10 inches of snow. Most of it melted, but still some around. I miss being outside. :( I do tromp out to the chickens each afternoon though so its something.

theanimal

Post by theanimal » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:34 pm

insert <Obligatory comment about winter not being that bad and you can still go outside and have fun.>

Jason

Post by Jason » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:15 pm

I was involved in a business transaction with a guy who needed a new kidney and he couldn't get one because he was old or some shit. So the other side said "We'll throw in a kidney." And we're like, "where the fuck are you getting a kidney?" They said "We'll get you the kidney." Suffice it to say they were not US as you can't just start selling your organs off in this country. It's illegal. You need a medical professional or at least someone who knows what the fuck they are doing to take the organ out and then it goes into some registry like when you tell people what shit you want them to buy you when you get married. I mean the Frankfurt kidney guy could have Hep C and you get his organ but die the next day. The upshot was we made the deal but there was no kidney involved and the guy died a year later of pancreatic cancer so the new kidney wouldn't have made a difference.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:37 pm

It's illegal to sell your organs in the US?? Fuck man, when did this place turn into such a freedom-hating taint realm?

Jason

Post by Jason » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:17 pm

Well, that's what came up when I googled it. I agree, it doesn't seem fair. You should see the prices you can get for this shit on the blackmarket. I think one cornea would put me into retirement. I guess that could affect my ability to read, so I would probably opt a kidney at the right price. I think you get hotel and airfare too. Blood and semen? No thanks. Not even a week's food bill.

And apparently this also applies to selling your children.

ffj

Post by ffj » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:59 pm

@the animal

Don't want to hear it, haha. Some of us don't want to live in the arctic. :D I'm good to around 20 degrees and then it stops being fun and no amount of snow is going to make up for the fact that I can't feel my face. Monkey was talking about his chickens and I can relate; mine haven't left their house in 3 days. They're all like "hell no". ha

Riddle me this: Why do we donate blood but are able to sell plasma? And who receives the donated blood and at what cost to the patient? I've never looked into it. Anybody know?

I think it would be pretty scary if we could sell any or all body parts. Yikes.

Jason

Post by Jason » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:04 am

I watch these sappy videos of people biking across the country to listen to the beat of their dead loved one's heart in another living person's body and for about thirty seconds I feel good about things until I remember that if you remove the feel good conditions of the situation they are most probably just a bunch of assholes but now I'm thinking that the medical industry is making a shitload on the transplant and the family of the person who provided the organ is just trying to feel like some good came out of it but would probably like to see some money because, well, I'm like that.

Edit: It just struck me that FFJ's blog is the place to talk about shit that is interesting but doesn't quite rise to the level of deserving a thread i.e. fire trucks, jello, retirement planning through selling one's organs.
Last edited by Jason on Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

henrik

Post by henrik » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:08 am

theanimal wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:34 pm
insert <Obligatory comment about winter not being that bad and you can still go outside and have fun.>
Or perhaps some perspective:)

Edit: or another piece of perspective -- be happy you're not working any more. You probably have enough experience operating pumps and fire hoses in sub-zero conditions.

ffj

Post by ffj » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:23 pm

@Jason
Haha, I think you hit the nail on the head. Just interesting enough not to be kicked off of the forum. No worries, I've accepted it. :)

@henrik

Yeah, I was cry-babying a bit yesterday. And yes, firefighting in sub-zero weather sucks. I remember one such fire when it was 20 below zero. While you were in the house that was burning everything was fine, it was when you exited everything went to hell. Like all good firemen, we put the fire out, but we also extinguished our heat source. All of that water I had been spraying coated my gear which instantly turned to ice once I left the house and then you could hardly move haha. I remember one of my guys having to forcibly hammer on my air pack with his fists because it was frozen to my back. I couldn't get it off otherwise. Makes for good stories but at the time it is no fun at all.