ffj's early retirement

Where are you and where are you going?
ffj

Re: ffj's early retirement

Post by ffj » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:06 pm

@Halfmoon

What?! Fire trucks excepted? Surely everyone has as much interest in fire trucks as I do? How could they not? :D

I wish that stone fence was mine, but it was built by the Shakers a hundred plus years ago at Shaker Village, Kentucky. Beautiful place to visit and I love their furniture and buildings. I have the good fortune to live a reasonable distance away from this gem.

I am supposed to start another job here shortly building a deck. If it comes to fruition I'll post about it. I might be wrong but it has always seemed that we have large number of academics and white collar workers on this site and I like to show how the tradesman do things to maybe show a perspective they aren't normally exposed to. I know I like to learn about things I have no experience with.

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:46 pm

If it's any consolation, ffj, I don't really get excited about any heavy metal. :lol: They sure are shiny, though. I would never have guessed that the gilt lettering is actual gold.

Now, Shaker furniture and buildings? Very exciting. I used to be fascinated with Shaker minimalism in high school; even did a paper on them for some class. I'd love to see Shaker Village.

Please do share lots of photos of your deck project. DH and I have been talking about replacing our huge, rotting porch for years, and we could use the inspiration. We're thinking about just making it a covered deck; right now it has solid 4-foot walls around the base. The grand idea was that the walls enclose cabinets for extra storage. What they've turned out to be is a haven for mice, wasp nests and more dusty junk we shouldn't be keeping. So far, we've managed to move 4 huge rhodies in preparation for tearing the porch off...in 3 years of procrastination. The energy ain't what it used to be.

What we really need is someone like you to build it for us! :idea: Ever thought of visiting the lovely PNW? We have fire trucks.

ffj

Post by ffj » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:17 pm

If I'm ever in your neck of the woods I'll be sure to bring a hammer. ;) Might be worth it just to see that tower and trees.

Job got pushed to next week so no deck until then. My partner has suddenly pulled the old man card and declared it too cold and wet. Thirty-seven degrees is perfect working weather for me as long as I'm moving. I always tell people that once you get fat, you never have to worry about getting cold again. :lol:

henrik

Post by henrik » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:00 am

Fire trucks and construction projects are equally appreciated by at least some of the regular readers on this journal!

ffj

Post by ffj » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:13 pm

Thanks henrik. Actually thanks to anyone who reads what I have to say. It shocks the hell out of me that this journal has been visited tens of thousands of times considering it exists on a small and kinda out there forum. We only have something like 4,000 members right? But it's the right kind. ;)

Fish

Post by Fish » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:42 pm

One of the nice side-effects of having children is that their education also serves as a refresher for over-specialized adults working on delightfully abstract things like spreadsheets and software. So here I am again learning about things like dinosaurs and fire trucks and being reminded how neat the physical world really is.

With that context, thanks for taking us on a virtual tour of the factory where fire engines come from. I was surprised that “fire truck red” was not an ISO standard. :shock: Also impressive was learning that the lettering and logos are done with real precious metals. I’ll definitely appreciate it the next time I’m up close and personal with a fire truck (hopefully not at my home).

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:05 pm

The skipper on the boat I used to crew on in California at some point informed us that he also owned a firetruck. After some initial discussion of the practical details of owning a firetruck (it turned out it was still sitting in Texas because arranging for reasonably priced storage and transport to California wasn't so easy) and the whys (because firetruck!), the question was how/where he bought it?

Turns out, just like with everything else, ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/Emergency-Fire ... ?_from=R40

Jason

Post by Jason » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:31 pm

I got to think the Cowlitz 2 brings in the hose bunnies.

ffj

Post by ffj » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:01 pm

@Fish
Anytime. Here are all of the shades of yellow they have used, but that is just wrong, as God has decreed all fire trucks shall be red. End of discussion. :lol:

@Jacob
There is a fire truck not far from my house that once belonged to the department I retired from, just sitting in the sun and the rain and the snow year after year. I want to go buy it and restore it but man what a money sink that would be. It kills me to watch it slowly rot away though.

Used fire trucks are cheap relative to what they cost new, but the maintenance would absolutely take all of your money away if you wanted a working fire truck. It would be cool to have your own personal fire truck though, driving to the grocery store to get a gallon of milk. haha

@Jason

I probably shouldn't be telling this story but here goes:

I have a buddy who was dating one of these "hose bunnies" and her fantasy was to get it on in the fire house. He worked at one of the oldest firehouses in the city which had a reputation for being haunted and there were firefighters that sincerely believed this to be fact. Now it is strictly forbidden to smuggle in someone like this, especially for something such as what this girl was proposing, but one night he did just that around two in the morning and they re-created that scene from "Backdraft" in the hose bed on top of the fire engine while all of his co-workers slept upstairs. Now this girl was particularly energetic and she wasn't satisfied with getting away with a movie scene so she further proposed they should utilize the weight bench which was right behind the fire engine. Keep in mind that there was a bar with weights on said weight bench and as they enjoyed each others company a certain clanking ensued, but alas, nobody discovered their indiscretions and she went about her way shortly thereafter.

When my buddy told me this story I was both shocked(because it was him) and admiring of his boldness(he could have lost his job) and said so, but he said no wait, the best part is yet to come. He said that the next morning at shift change one of his fellow firefighters was telling the oncoming guys that he had heard the ghost that haunted the fire station all night moaning and clanking throughout the firehouse downstairs and that there was no way in hell he was going to investigate as it scared him to death. :lol: He said he sat there staring into his oatmeal that he was eating as fast as he could to get the hell out of there. :D

That story still makes me laugh. Hope that wasn't inappropriate to tell but damn what a funny story. The ghost of Station 4 lives on.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:56 am

That is a great story! I was laughing out loud.

Jason

Post by Jason » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:21 am

What makes that story even funnier is when you consider the fact that this ghostbusting bullshit is believed by a guy who has no compunction in displaying real courage by running into a burning building. Personally, if faced with the choice of running headlong into a fire or peaking downstairs at night in an attempt to refute the existence of some paranormal activity, I'm choosing the latter every time.

ffj

Post by ffj » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:09 pm

@Gilberto
I'm glad somebody else found it funny. My sense of humor is always a huge flop around here usually....speaking of @Jason:

The jokes just write themselves. I saw this today at the firehouse :roll:

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:39 pm

This inspired a frenzy of googling on my part. You'll be happy to hear that Licking Township is part of Licking County, and is one of TWO Licking townships in Ohio. Licking County also boasts Licking Valley High School and Licking Heights High School. I feel that this gives Jason a dangerous amount of ammunition, so I will raise the tone by noting that the Licking County Courthouse is pretty darn impressive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Newa ... thouse.jpg

Jason

Post by Jason » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:27 am

Licking? Really? Is that what you think of me? Damn.

Let's be clear on this matter, Halfmoon. If I was to purchase a used fire truck, it's going to be from Nantucket.

ffj

Post by ffj » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:59 am

@halfmoon
It's like a scavenger hunt, now I want to know what Cowlitz is like. ;) I bet that courthouse is a hit around Halloween, impressive indeed.

@Jason

You were the 538th reply in my thread. When I saw that , I thought of Nate Silver and his election predictions over at Five-Thirty Eight. http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/fin ... p-clinton/

I shouldn't be posting the above link because it could be perceived as political, and I don't want politics in this thread. It's more of a reflection on how horrible our news sources have become. Kind of a bummer. Thanks Jason. :lol:

Jason

Post by Jason » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:20 am

Funny. But it makes one think how 538 turns to 666 real fast.

I agree though. With topics like fire trucks, ghosts and licking, this is turning into the most popular ERE blog, so don't ruin it with discussions on politics and Nate "Why I should be commended for having Trump chance's of winning the election higher than everyone else who predicted a Clinton landslide" Silver.

ffj

Post by ffj » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:01 am

I'm done. I don't know what came over me. Back to regular programming.

ffj

Post by ffj » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:17 am

Who is this fine looking man you might ask? Why it's Don Carlos Buell of course. https://www.civilwar.org/learn/biograph ... rlos-buell

I went hiking yesterday at a civil war battlefield (Perryville) and I'm guessing they were cleaning out one of their barns and all of this is trash. The house in the background (minus the vinyl siding ;) ) was actually standing at the time of the battle in 1862 and served as a temporary hospital. It still surprises me that we actually had a civil war for some reason although I don't know why it should.

My goal is to have the remodel done by Thanksgiving as I have family coming over. I'm close, with the fireplace being the last major hurdle. I really liked this picture off of pinterest:

And so I've tried to replicate it. I still have to build the supports for the mantle and obviously paint it. A buddy of mine did the stone and tile work and that will soon be done also once we grout the tile and finish the stone at the bottom. Close, close, close!

ffj

Post by ffj » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:11 pm

I am so close to finishing my living room but external events keep pulling me away. I've got a large group of people coming for Thanksgiving and I don't want to be working on this thing up until the last minute but it may happen. I literally have to finish the mantle and that's it but I just can't seem to get back to it.

My latest diversion is building a small deck with my carpenter buddy for a hot tub. It's pretty simple and we just have to build a fence around it tomorrow to complete it. We poured the footers on Saturday and built the deck today and you'll notice how beefy the floor joists are to support the weight of the hot tub. Normally I wouldn't show such a simple project but several of you asked to see and I am happy to oblige:

ffj

Post by ffj » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:56 pm

Finished today with the privacy fence. We were able to utilize the fence section that had spanned the corner to the house so that saved on material. Pictures tell the tale:

For reference, it took two of us 15 hours to do everything over three days.

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:20 pm

Thank you for the deck tutorial! It looks so neat and simple; now I'm thinking that DH and I could do this ourselves next summer if things look up. What do you plan to use for preserving the deck and fence?

Also: the fireplace is gorgeous. How do you manage to have such a talented buddy network? Of course, they're lucky to have your skills too. Somehow I feel that this harks back to the ERE philosophy. 8-)

ffj

Post by ffj » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:19 pm

I think the client is going to stain and seal it to match the fence. That's their responsibility, we're done. ;)

You guys could totally do it, I've seen your work. As long as you can read a tape measure, know how to figure square, and know how to determine plumb and level, you're golden. I hope I'm taking some of the mystery out of construction.

If you are ever looking for talent in the trades, go visit a fire station. Seriously. Most firemen have side gigs or come from blue collar background . If they can't help you, they'll probably know someone who can. Yep, my tile guy is a fireman. ;)

ffj

Post by ffj » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:22 am

Started bottling today and as I'll be doing about 55 to 60 bottles, I'll be doing this in stages. As Thanksgiving is right around the corner and I'll have a bunch of family coming in, I need to do a batch or two of this so I can give it away. Ironically, I don't even like wine that much but it's a fun challenge and again, bottles of wine make great gifts.

The red wine is a little thin unfortunately, but still quite drinkable. The white tastes much better. I've also got 5 gallons of pear wine to bottle up and I'm curious to see if people like it.

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:32 am

Pear wine sounds great! Does it taste like pears? I know that sounds like a stupid question, but I've had some dry fruit wines that didn't taste fruity to me.

Ever think of making brandy? DH set up a still years ago and made apricot brandy. The distilling happened before I met him, but I did help him drink it. :D

ffj

Post by ffj » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:57 pm

@halfmoon

I bottled another fifteen bottles of the white today. The pear wine to me tastes a little weak on flavor unfortunately, which is bad since I made 5 gallons of it. So my plan is to have everyone taste it on Thanksgiving and if they like it I'll bottle as much as they want for Christmas. If they don't like it and if I don't suddenly grow a taste for it then it's going down the drain. :(

No I haven't tried making brandy. I've had good success with beer and white wine so far so I may try to fine-tune those preferences before I branch out too far. I was disappointed with the red and pear wine this go around.

Well it has finally happened. I finished my remodel I started in January:

My goal was to finish before Thanksgiving and thank goodness I've done it. I am ready for a break, both financially and labor-wise from the remodeling business for a while. I'm happy with the way it turned out and tomorrow I'll put the furniture back into place which is pretty damn exciting. Good times.

The last piece of the puzzle was the fireplace. I finished grouting the tile yesterday which was the final step before completion. Here is a picture of the mantle that I was basically copying:

And my version. I built the little table next to it to hold the receiver and dvd player for my television.

While I was building the mantle it occurred to me that I could incorporate a hidden compartment. As I needed a place to hide my gold and precious jewels :lol: I thought this would be fun. So what do you guys think?

Don't worry, the gun and money are fake. Haha. The crown molding stays in place with magnets and a pin system. We'll see if anybody notices on Thanksgiving but I seriously doubt they will. I feel so mysterious. :D