Where are you and where are you going?
ffj

Re: ffj's early retirement

Post by ffj » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:31 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:02 am

So, Jason, you have nightmares about Schrödinger's child, it's both until you call it one?

Jason

Post by Jason » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:27 am

Nature, even when it is perspicuous, tends to make me queasy.

ffj

Post by ffj » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:49 pm

Sometimes life is unpredictable, and yesterday was that day for me.

As I was driving to town a car approached from the other direction. Not an uncommon event, but this particular car had its passenger door wide open which caught my attention. And then the swerving started back and forth all the way into my lane which forced me to slam on my brakes to steer out this idiots way. If I hadn't braked and swerved hard we would have hit head-on. As they passed me I noticed a man and a woman fighting over the steering wheel and as my phone had been thrown almost under the dash from having to brake so forcefully so I had to find a place to pull over to call our police dispatch.

Come to find out it was a domestic dispute and a couple of miles past where we almost collided he stabbed her and forced her out of the moving vehicle. Several people must have been calling about this because EMS passed me a few minutes later responding to where she had been dumped. Interesting trip to town!

I have a pear tree which bears every year. This year I decided to make some pear wine. Now I have never had a drink of pear wine nor do I know if it will taste good but thats not going to stop me from trying. :) There are recipe's out there for it so I know it's been done before and really any fruit that has sugar can be made into a wine.

I started by picking a bushel of pears:

And really all the rest of the process consisted of was cutting up the pears, boiling them for 20 minutes, pouring off the liquid into a primary fermenter, adding some additives, adding lots of sugar, and repeating the steps until I had five gallons of pear juice.

Tomorrow I will check the sugar content and my goal is to achieve 1.08 specific gravity which should yield about 10% alcohol content. Everything I've read about pear wine says that 10% is the ideal percentage as anything greater leads to off-tastes. I'll probably have to add some sugar to achieve this after which I will pitch my yeast. Then it's pretty much a waiting game of racking and letting the wine develop its flavor.

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:39 am

You should consider trying to make Perry too. I'm making cider and hadn't heard of Perry until researching that. I'm liking the shortish turnaround time on cider although going to take a year break from consumption (need to get fit).

Jason

Post by Jason » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:06 am

Its hard for me to believe that the domestic dispute started in the car. I don't see a fight over what song they wanted to listen to or whether they should turn on the A/C or drive with the windows open leading to a maniacal fight with knives and open doors. It most likely started in the house with something like "I don't give a shit about whether or not its your body, get in the car so can we can get to the fuckin abortion clinic."

Nice pears.

ffj

Post by ffj » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:58 am

@Jason

I don't know what started it but it's done now. Initially I had thought about turning around and following them because I knew they were going to crash but then I thought better as I didn't want to get shot. Here's an excerpt from the news:

A woman was stabbed after attempting to flee a moving vehicle. Deputies say that Brian K. Lainhart, of Lexington, held the woman against her will. When she fled, officials say Lainhart stabbed the victim in the back.

When deputies caught up with the suspect, they say he fled. Eventually, Lainhart crashed in a wooded area. He was charged with fleeing and evading, assault of a police officer, resisting arrest, first-degree assault, kidnapping and leaving the scene of an accident.

Lainhart is currently being held on a $100,000 bond. The victim is stable.

@Saving
I don't know what Perry is to be honest. I'll have to look it up. Thanks for the suggestion.

I made cider a couple of years ago and it was ok, very drinkable but not something I would make again. The wine and the beer I make is much more enjoyable for my tastes.

As I was making this yesterday my wife reminded me that our liquor stores had hundred of selections of wine ready for consumption. As in "why are you doing this?" I replied "You just don't get it, do you?" ;)

Like Jason said, they're nice pears. Shame not to use them.

Jason

Post by Jason » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:34 am

You should have told your wife that the woman in the car asked the same question.

ffj

Post by ffj » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:05 pm

You never fail to disappoint. ;)

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:22 pm

It's interesting, usually when you see "evading capture" and "assault of a police officer" and "resisting arrest" the mug shot will show that they sustained severe trauma when they crashed their car and bounced their face off the steering wheel 20 or 30 times. But his mug shot seems remarkably healthy.

Jason

Post by Jason » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:13 pm

What I get from that mugshot is an expression of no compunction and someone who is just fucking fed up. He is probably upset that his wife is still alive and now he has to spend the rest of his life in prison for attempted murder. He'd probably be smiling if it was a murder charge. That was a man intent on killing his wife, and why I was completely off base. I don't see him going off the rails because she forgot to bring the coupons. This seems absolutely pre-meditated, just unfortunately (at least from his vantage point) poorly conceived and mind boggling ill-executed. Trying to drive with one hand while plunging a knife into your wife's back on a curvy road are not the conditions for a successful murder. I'm thinking he had wanted to murder her for a while and she set him off and he was drunk enough to finally carry through. I'm just surprised he didn't have a better plan in place. That being said, she should have known better. What man volunteers to drive his wife to the grocery store on a Sunday afternoon.

My wife knows not to get a cruise ship with me because I have always said that is the best way to dispose of someone. Too bad he didn't post here, we could have helped him save for it and he wouldn't be in this mess.

ffj

Post by ffj » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:20 pm

I'm beginning to regret telling this story to you guys.

"What man volunteers to drive his wife to the grocery store on a Sunday afternoon."

Holy crap, she should have known it was a trap. I'm laughing but I feel bad about it.