reepicheep's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Jin+Guice

Re: reepicheep's journal

Post by Jin+Guice »

I'm very interested in your tiny house journey as I hope to have one of my own some day.

Why did you decide to go from steal to nylon strings?

reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

@Jin+Juice,

I'll post about it as I go. Still in design phase now.

Strings: I broke my left elbow 9/18 and the angle of holding a guitar is less than ideal for me. I have most of my mobility back but not all of my strength, so I think I'm at some risk for tendonitis (which my sister got after playing a lot and rock climbing at the same time -- messed up her whole college major plan). Figured nylon would be a little bit easier on me as I redevelop strength/flexibility.

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice »

That sucks about your elbow. You're playing right handed (fretting with your left hand)? Nylon is kind of an interesting idea for beginners anyway, probably easier on the fingertips.

FrugalPatat

Post by FrugalPatat »

Other things that might help:
-electric guitars (less pressure required than acoustic metal string guitars)
-tuning the guitar down 1/2 step

reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

@Jin+Juice and @FrugalPatat, Yes, fretting with left hand. I guess we'll see! Electric guitar probably not in the cards, if for no other reason than I already own a lovely acoustic Taylor that I don't deserve. I'll ask teacher-man about tuning it down a half step. Not sure what that means though!

In unrelated news:

Discovery of once-a-month major kink party in millionaire's backyard 1.5 miles from my house. Astonishing to find such a thing so close by. Like no other party I have ever been to. Went last night. Got stabbed with needles for the first time! Watched fireplay! OMG! The coolest! Very excited to find something so well put together so close to home. Have definitely been feeling disconnected from Portland community since coming down here and this will be a nice way to assuage those feelings.

FrugalPatat

Post by FrugalPatat »

reepicheep wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:50 pm
@Jin+Juice and @FrugalPatat, Yes, fretting with left hand. I guess we'll see! Electric guitar probably not in the cards, if for no other reason than I already own a lovely acoustic Taylor that I don't deserve. I'll ask teacher-man about tuning it down a half step. Not sure what that means though!
Rather than having E A D G B E you tune the strings like Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb. There will be less string tension and it's still a standard tuning in that the chord shapes and scale patterns are preserved.

reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

In full pandemic planning mode at cult.

Wondering about water storage. Not entirely pandemic related; we have intermittent service sometimes when the power goes off, which it does about once every month.

I have three rain barrels. I want to connect them to each other and then run them into my RV.

I need very specific help, like, buy this size hose barb and connect it to this size hose. Buy this kind of pump and buy this kind of attachment for your hose. I am ordering all of this online, so ideally I get the right kinds and the right kinds of connectors the first time, and everything fits. I can drill holes in things at pretty much any size I need to.

Regarding pumps, obviously if the power goes out I'm effed. I don't have the solar capability to run a pump that plugs into a 120 volt. I could run one that is 12 volt if I had a really long cord.

Video:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RE2NXctiHBhTgDfu9

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

reepicheep wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:53 pm
Regarding pumps, obviously if the power goes out I'm effed. I don't have the solar capability to run a pump that plugs into a 120 volt. I could run one that is 12 volt if I had a really long cord.
You might be able to find an inverter with enough capacity to power the 120V pump. Problem is they're more rare and spendy compared to the cheap ones ($100) that will power lights.

J_

Post by J_ »

Rethink connecting those barrels: if one get fouled, the others will get fouled too..

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

I wonder what gauge wire you would need to run the 12V pump. How long would it have to be?

reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

Still alive.

Angry all the time.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

I get you. The US has a lot to be angry right now as a nation - and that's without this crisis bringing out the most selfish and moronic parts out of ordinary people one is surrounded by. All of this while stuck sheltering in place. Tbh, if an american isn't angry all the time, they've probably spent the last 4 years in a bunker.

BMF1102

Post by BMF1102 »

Hey Reep - Did you ever get that shelf/rack built for your water tanks? That's what I was going to recommend before watching the video then you mentioned doing that.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

So what's next?

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

Glad you're alive anyway. Though I sort of figured you would be.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

I'm checking in as well, here. I hope you're doing okay. Hugs.

reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

Still working on water rack. Have 98% of necessary equipment and tools now.

Bought a woodchipper. Now planning on chainsaw. Leaning into SKIP/PEP stuff.

Also good for making hamburgers.

reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

Now own a chainsaw.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

Yay! Be careful though. Actually the wood chipper is probably more dangerous than the chainsaw.

reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

@enigmaT120, the woodchipper can't even fit my hand in the top of it so I doubt it. It can only handle 1.75 inch pieces. It's not really sufficient for a property of this size, but I intend to use it only for my surrounding zone, not put it into general use.

I wrote a thing. It has videos.

https://becomingsee.com/lost-valley/collapsingnow