Fox's Journey: And Onto the Sunlight!

Where are you and where are you going?
TopHatFox

Re: Fox's Journey: And Onto the Sunlight!

Post by TopHatFox »

Isn’t it 50k - standard married deduction of 24.4k =

25.6k of taxable income?

That’s still a few thousand bucks if they don’t also fill their IRAs, an HSA, part of their 401k, or deduct business expenses...unless if there’s a mortgage deduction I’m missing or something?

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

They have already paid some taxes through their wages. I'd be very surprised if that number is greater than the 12% tax rate they'd be paying on the taxable income. Meaning they will likely be getting a refund.

Also, I work in insurance but I do not sell it. Congrats on the position.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

So I went to the geology department today and it looked pretty good. Looks like I'm likely to be accepted, with funding, and they'll take some of my MPA credits. It’s accredited too. The biggest PITA will be a thesis if I choose to do one, and finding a thesis advisor.

I also went to a career fair and met with representations from the US Dept of Ag, US Geo Society, NOAA, the NSF, and Fish and Wildlife. They really like geologists, and I can definitely see myself working with them. They also like public administrators. I'd imagine the MPA + MS will be a good combo, so at least the MPA wasn't a total waste of time. In any case, it'll probably take quite a while to do an MS in geo if I were to move to another state--especially with out of state tuition--so this perhaps this is the time to do it. I also have a gf now and a fwb or two, so that's much better. Finally, I moved my room to one room of my parent's rental, so at least that helps me pretend I’m an adult. lol.

I’m in the market for a nice manual crank standing and two 27” monitors. Maybe a mic also. Good for ramping up the financial advice business and work in general.

Two other issues I have are:

1. We have no more car spaces in our HOA, and I'd like a used Corolla, just dunno where to park it.
2. I'd like to have a geo job through the MS in Geo, so maybe I can apply to work a job through then

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

MAY 2020

MPA: Done. 3.8 GPA, did it in 8 months, funded with stipend. I think the degree (and frankly most degrees) is bullshit and may not really hold much professional weight since it's not necessarily an in-demand, difficult skill, but at least I can now move on to something else and I have *a* masters.

Geology MS + License: Got accepted to the MS in Geosciences program. I find out about if my grad school funding will be extended to pay for all of my classes + a stipend in two weeks or so. Also found an ASBOG national certification for geology that I can study and take the test for in Oct 2020.

Geology Experience: Sent out e-mails to geology alumni all over the Mountain States and in FL. Got some promising leads, some of which may only require a BA in Geo and whatever-MS.

Girlfriend: Going well, though now it's monogamous, so that's been interesting. I think this might be my first monogamous relationship ever lol. Not sure how I feel about monogamy, but for now it's good. Relationship might be an issue if I need to bail out west, but maybe she'd want to come. We'll see. Still don't want kids or marriage.

Parents: Replaced mom's car from a lease to an owned, cheaper, more reliable model. Learned how to get a used car, fix it, and maintain it. Now need to sell dad's car probably at a loss, and get him a fully-owned, cheaper, more reliable model.

Home Repair: Need to learn more about buying a used home and home repair. This along with car knowledge is indispensable.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

if you weren't able to sustain daily 12h work in (let's say) comfy settings in NYC (possibilities to enjoy materialism after work, a lot people to date after hours), why are interested in living in container somewhere in the middle of nowhere with limited number of people for extended periods of time?

I'm genuinely curious to know your reasoning behind your current strategy. Maybe I'm missing something.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Geology is skilled labor, and a STEM field. It is in-demand, pays well, has varied work settings, and has varied work schedules. Apparently most of the work is in Hydrogeology/Environmental Geology, Oil/gas, and mining. But there are plenty of these firms or government agencies throughout CO or UT. I’m sure it’s a job at the end of the day, but it’s much better than generic-office worker or over-saturated MS-level counselor.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

C40 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 2:39 pm
+1 on this. I'd include this in the 3 or 5 most important skills at work (along with being like-able and doing good work)
u wrote a bigger portion of such pieces of advice somewhere in topics of THF.
where is it? searching post of you + "boss" doesn't provide my much meat.
if somebody found this, pls share.

C40

Post by C40 »

Stahlmann wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:31 am
u wrote a bigger portion of such pieces of advice somewhere in topics of THF.
where is it? searching post of you + "boss" doesn't provide my much meat.
if somebody found this, pls share.
umm, I don't know. It could be in threads made by other people... but If you're sure it's in one of THF's topics, have you searched through his work-related threads?

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

What’s going on Mr. Fox?

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

it seems he hacked his personality to stop asking questions online and started living without us :lol: