Fox's Journey: And Onto the Sunlight!

Where are you and where are you going?
TopHatFox

Re: Fox's Journey: And Onto the Sunlight!

Post by TopHatFox » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:45 pm

JUNE 2019

Put in my two weeks notice today. Sprinting to ERE in an office 9 to 5 is not the way for me. My health comes first, and I never want to experience the level of anxiety, stress, and cognitive dissonance as I have over the past year. I'll find another way that's more aligned with who I am and what I care about.
Last edited by TopHatFox on Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Old Man

Post by The Old Man » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:00 pm

Best of luck. Likely, a good decision.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:04 am

@The Old Man, yeah, I think it is. If my first year out of undergrad was overcoming the shock of the real world and trying many office jobs, then the second year was about overcoming surgery, getting to a stronger base of assets, and putting the last nail in the coffin for office work. Essentially, setting a decent foundation for self-employment and non 9-5 jobs in this third year.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:10 am

JULY 2019

JOB THOUGHTS

I’m now a few weeks from having quit the old office job. Overall, I don’t regret it and many days I’m so thankful I don’t have to go back to the office on Monday. I do of course feel anxious that I am no longer saving every two weeks toward the fabled 250k, but at least I’m not feeling super stressed-out. This decision really sucks in the short-term financially, but is good long-term career-wise and mental health-wise.

I definitely felt super depressed having quit again, but I think I’m finally over it. I never did take the anti-depressants, and chickened out on continuing to take the Saint John’s Wort.

So, sales, accounting, finance, management, and administrative jobs are way the hell out. Now I want to finally try counseling-type jobs and therapy jobs.

—————

GF(!)

After a goddamn year of getting shot-down 30+ times—and a few months free of braces and teeth whitening :D —I not only re-kindled a sexual relationship with an ex over a weekend, but had a lovely time with a woman in MA, had a few steamy dive bar makeouts, and finally...found a girlfriend! A real relationship. In MIAMI people - this is HUGE. My ex and my now-gf even fought to convince me that I should pick them. They’re beautiful too! Honestly, it feels good. Feels really, really good. Relationships and love are definitely central to my being. Also, as much as my smile is now great, fuck braces.

The ironic part is that I met the GF literally the day after I handed in my cut-up company card. Maybe I would’ve stayed if I felt accompanied/supported, but I guess that would ultimately be bad.

—————

GRE + Grad School

Well, I still have the MPA to complete, along with its 15K stipend. I figure it’d be really stupid to eschew the opportunity to get a free + stipend general “leadership” MS while living at home. I’m going to have to take 6 classes for two semesters, but whatever. It’ll be fine.

Over the past few weeks, I’ve been studying for the GRE and psych Subject Test so that I can get into a Counseling Psychology MS program with funding. I think that’d be a good combo - free leadership MS for public and non-profit spaces, and (c’mon free) counseling psych degree. If I decide to, I can later apply for a phd or psyD too.

I can’t really see myself doing the work of any other subjects for 40+ hours, such as Engineering, Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Finance, MD, JD, PA, PT, and so on. And all the humanities are basically bullshit degrees as far as employability.

Ego

Post by Ego » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:04 am

It sounds like fox is back on the upward trajectory. Congratulations!

prognastat

Post by prognastat » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:12 pm

Sounds like things are improving on the relationship front. Hopefully the job/career side will follow suit.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:17 pm

hmmm.
in case of predictability of outcomes and science: big pharma>herbs. but in all honesty, don't do both.

try fasting. enter ketosis and feel it. it's free.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:11 am

Yeah, relationship-land and friend-land is doing pretty well at the moment. I am feeling supported and loved.

Career-land has a lot of scaffolding around it right now. I am feeling anxious in the short-term, but optimistic in the long-term.

I know why career-land is being built the way it is and I have the time and money to make the change, and that’s really, really good.

I’ve worked at a lab and didn’t like that, too lonely and technical. I learned math and programming, but I learned I don’t like constantly solving mathematical puzzles. I’ve tried doing music, art, theater, & writing and enjoy them, but just as a hobby. I’ve worked in corporate and absolutely hated that, whether it’s accounting, finance, sales, or HR. I worked as an administrator and disliked that. I worked security and disliked that. I worked at a library stocking shelves and hated that.

I worked as a residential counselor and loved that. I worked as a peer counselor and liked that. I worked as a career counselor and liked that. I worked as a camp counselor and liked that. I worked as a graphic designer and actually really liked that, too. I also liked giving educational presentations every now and again, just maybe not as the main part of the job. I worked fixing up homes and liked that.

I can’t see myself being a doctor, or a nurse, or a lawyer. I can’t see myself being a programmer, a scientist, or an engineer. I absolutely can’t see myself being an Budget Manager, Principal, or HR Director. I can’t see myself being an administrative assistant, office manager, or office associate. I probably can’t see myself being a raft guide or tour guide, either.

————

I guess it’s pretty apparent. The work I mainly like doing revolves around having helpful, meaningful conversations with people one-one-one or in small groups. I could see this leading to getting my counseling psychology Masters Degree and then working as a career counselor, mental health counselor, student success counselor, wilderness therapy counselor, or many other type of counseling roles. Many of these offer remote-counseling roles too, so I could travel.

Some of the other types of work I enjoy doing revolve around being visually creative, giving presentations, or building something simple. I could see these turning into various businesses, such as a graphic design business for simple data visualization, posters, and so on. And, delivering presentations about mental health to different groups. And, buying a property a small property to rent, live in, and fix.