Fox's Journey: And Onto the Sunlight!

Where are you and where are you going?
fiby41

Re: Fox's Journey: And Onto the Sunlight!

Post by fiby41 »

@re reasons not to go to graduate school

100 reasons not to, one good reason to- isn't education linked to higher earnings over a lifetime ?

This also can be extended to the THFs post immediately above, if not graduate school what are the immediately next options and what are the ways each of them could turn out?

Another utility of education is it absorbs excess productivity. Instead of more people flooding the job market, those who don't get a job can keep going for higher studies, completing this course after that training, to keep themselves occupied. Until there is a job opening which required none of these extra Union cards (certifications) but are required anyway as otherwise there are glaring gaps in the resume.

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

TopHatFox wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:31 pm
For example, a picture of a depressed unemployed person, a picture of phd student now deferring gratification for their 6th year (or adjuncting), a stressed af person in finance in the city, someone risking life and limb on an oil rig, someone living in a shitty place with political uncertainty, and so on.
I'm here to help.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

hahahahaha<3

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

fiby41 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:57 pm
@re reasons not to go to graduate school

100 reasons not to, one good reason to- isn't education linked to higher earnings over a lifetime ?

This also can be extended to the THFs post immediately above, if not graduate school what are the immediately next options and what are the ways each of them could turn out?

Another utility of education is it absorbs excess productivity. Instead of more people flooding the job market, those who don't get a job can keep going for higher studies, completing this course after that training, to keep themselves occupied. Until there is a job opening which required none of these extra Union cards (certifications) but are required anyway as otherwise there are glaring gaps in the resume.
I don't think so. From the 100 reasons, phd's typically train you to be an academic, which is an impossible dream for the job openings available. You're also forgoing income in your 20's, which is arguably the most important in terms of compound interest, especially for someone ERE-minded like me. Even in a field like psych, where a phd is required to be a psychologist, I'm genuinely thinking it's better to just get a masters and a license after 2 years of paid work experience.

The immediate next options are to try another job now having a Masters in Public Administration in a few months, with the possibility of a second masters in psych concurrently with the new job.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Other updates:

I tried Lexapro 5 mg for around 2 weeks and it just made me dizzy and made it harder to think. Maybe that'd go away after a few more weeks, but eh. I did feel almost stoned a lot of the time, so that was kinda fun lol. I stopped taking them.

A friend of mine ALSO sent me a $200 light therapy lamp that she used during college. This thing, on the other hand, is nothing short of amazing. I've been using it while doing work on the computer, and wow, I feel really good when it's on. Even my eyes feel good. Who'da thought: indoor sunlight. I'm bringing one to whatever my next job is - most offices are dark af, if they even have sunlight. My old cube had fluorescent lighting and no sunlight. Depressing.

TheWanderingScholar

Post by TheWanderingScholar »

Congrats on he choice of not doing your PhD. Welcome to the club! :p

Getting a master's is usually the best option and most optimum route for long-term financial success in comparison to full PhD as it unlocks the main barrier for higher income levels in the future ahead of time.

daylen

Post by daylen »

I was also planning to do a PhD in statistics during my undergrad years, but decided that the problems I wanted to solve(*) did not require the support of an institution. Now, I practice traditional skills while doing independent research.

(*) .. the development of life strategies and languages for discussing them that can take into account details about phenotypic and environmental differences. In other words, making maps for what a life can be and what it cannot. Sounds quasi-religious but what else is there do do? :)

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Thanks guys, yeah, the phd seems nuts now that I think of it. I want 500k and 7 years of experience by 32, not to just be starting out after 7 more years of delaying real-life in academia. With that in mind, I also don't want to work a job I hate over the next X years. As of today, I'm going scout out and apply for jobs I might like that use my Masters. Something that I can do with my personality and identify with and that isn't overwhelmingly stressful, because when things get hard it'll not only be 10x easier if I can feel good leaning in to the work, but it'll be easier if that work comes more naturally to me than not.

--------------------------------

WHERE TO APPLY TO JOBS:

1. Going Away: The front-range of Colorado and western Montana look like they have the most nature on Google Maps, and they likely have way more women than someplace like Alaska. I'd be okay going back to parts of New England: lots of women, nature, and well-educated people. Oregon and Washington seem like they have lots of forests too. Idaho is basically one big state park, but I know nothing about it. UT, NV, and AZ seem more like desert than forest, so probably not. I don't think I'd want to live in any other states, or internationally for now.

The drawback with moving is that I may very well hate the new job, spend down resources, and be back home again. The pros are that I may like the new area and be in an area I like nower rather than later.

----------

2. Cashing in on the Status Quo for 2 years: I can't deny that getting a job I like in Miami wouldn't be advantageous financially, and I now have a pretty gf to at least tolerate the place with. I don't have to pay for anything, even state or local taxes. I also could get that second masters in counseling psych using in-state prices.

The drawback with staying in the area is that I may end up single and in a place I hate, which I know I hate. The pros are that I can get that second masters and get to a bare-bones FI 200k before taking a larger risk like moving to a new state.

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

Smashter wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:20 am
I'd move west.
Standing by my recommendation a few pages back :D

It seems like one of those things that is going to be an itch until you scratch it. You've talked about it so many times. And like you say, if you don't like it, you can always move again. Don't put too much pressure on yourself, just go for it!

unemployable

Post by unemployable »

TopHatFox wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:57 am
1. Going Away: The front-range of Colorado and western Montana look like they have the most nature on Google Maps, and they likely have way more women than someplace like Alaska. I'd be okay going back to parts of New England: lots of women, nature, and well-educated people. Oregon and Washington seem like they have lots of forests too. Idaho is basically one big state park, but I know nothing about it. UT, NV, and AZ seem more like desert than forest, so probably not. I don't think I'd want to live in any other states, or internationally for now.

The drawback with moving is that I may very well hate the new job, spend down resources, and be back home again. The pros are that I may like the new area and be in an area I like nower rather than later.
Have you been out here? Cost of living in metro Denver is lousy nowadays, although further north and south are more reasonable. Then you're doing what everyone else is, crowding onto I-70 on Friday evening and Sunday afternoon. If you're moving out here to ski, Salt Lake has far better logistics. And the dating market is horrible for men your age unless you're making six figures.

Western Montana is a wonderful place to live if you don't need a decent-paying job. Winters are hard there though, as they are in most of the Western mountains; you have to want it. Note Denver, Salt Lake and the major Pacific NW cities aren't "in the mountains".

I strongly suggest you visit these places for a few days before committing to move, and suggest you do so in the off-season. I think in general you want to look away from the larger metro areas. The smaller cities such as FoCo, Eugene and Spokane will still have jobs and things to do and be close to plenty of outdoor recreation.

You'll note I've written about moving back East and coming out here in the summer. As a place to live, I feel rather fulfilled with my time here, as opposed to feeling like I never want to leave.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

From what I hear, I think you'd do well in Boise. It's growing, has good access to the mountains and has less harsh winters than Montana. That'd probably be worth checking out.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

@Smashter, yeah I hear that, but I really don't want to hate a new series of jobs, spend down resources, and move back in with the parents at 28 or something. Getting a job here for 2 years and hopefully staying with the gf during those years & getting to 200k before moving out would help with never having to move back to Miami ever again.

@unemployable, I'd probably choose one of the smaller towns north or south. Big metro areas increase the chances of depression; I like less people of higher quality surrounded by nature. For example, Boulder would be ideal, but $$$. I don't think I'd live in Portland, Seattle, or Denver, those others you listed like FoCo, Eugene, and Spokane seem better. I think as long as the job pays 40k/yr and I at least have access to one of the major tax deferral accounts (401k, 403b, 457), I'd be okay. Can I find something like that with an MPA and 4 years upward office experience, I would surely hope so...

Interesting, I never thought of a place like Boise, and it's pretty close to Missoula and Bozeman too if I end up liking those better. This one has lots of potential.

If I move out west, I can blare such songs on the roads ^-^: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edXMpIOvnRY

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

Sure, moving out of your parents house is always going to require spending down resources. It will be hard to live literally for free. But...you live with your parents and you don't seem that happy there.

You talk a lot about wanting more intimate relationships, and I think part of what might be holding you back is the whole "an adult living with his parents" thing. It's kind of like when you had braces -- it's not fair that they hurt your chances with women, but it's kinda the world we live in. I remember trying to date as a 25 year old living with my parents and it was basically impossible (that was in Los Angeles.)

Moving out doesn't mean you still won't be saving. Outside of some incredibly unfortunate events, there should be no reason you'd ever have to live with your parents if you don't want to. You have a ton of money and will soon have a couple advanced degrees! You the man, THF! (Mumble mumble yada yada MMM shot of the optimism gun.
Last edited by Smashter on Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

+1 Smashter

I think you continually underestimate how skilled you are and what position you are in financially. Almost nobody at your age or even a few years older has anywhere close to the savings you do. There are plenty of people who move throughout the country with a negative net worth and end up OK. Not that it's a great idea. But even if your spending increases to 10k for a year, you have 10+ years of savings. Do you really think someone with your skill set wouldn't be able to find a job of any kind within 1 year? 2 years? Many of these western towns are growing, meaning jobs. You don't have to have everything planned out perfectly. Sometimes you just have to take the first step.

What's the worst that could go wrong? Seriously. You end up back with your parents in Miami having had an adventure out west (I highly doubt this happening). The consequences are zero.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Hm, very well, I'll spam relevant alumni in both Miami and the places we listed. Maybe I can get the gf to come, not like she likes Miami either. Let's see what develops.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Excited to see what you decide to do. Just don't be an askhole.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

thaaaanks. just don't be an advicehole, either. pew pew return fire :p <3

Just sent out 20 e-mails to alumni in Miami and out west. Networking is definitely one thing AC and finance taught me well. 100 more to go.

---------

Networth: 105K

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

NOVEMBER 2019

GF Bailed

Okay, party's over. Miami GF decided that her life at 28 is in disarray (she's working an art job that pays min wage and requires 50 hours/wk), so she's bailing form the relationship to find career stability. I countered that I already have financial stability compared to most people my age and we could consider building careers together--even offered her the AC alumni network--and she declined & said something something I want to succeed independently. Eyeroll.

New GFs

'Good news is, I found another beautiful woman in Atlanta, and just visited her again. Kinky 27 yo, feels like Fifty shades, and she looks like the female actor from that movie.<3 She too, is working min wage type jobs at a bakery and retail, despite earning her BA from a good college. Honestly, literally every woman I've been on a date with since graduating has been living paycheck-to-paycheck and underemployed.

I also found a few other women in Miami that I can have over, but I don't like them as much as the two above; finding interesting, fit people takes some serious digging. The good news is that I no longer use online dating, and that helps to raise the quality quite a bit. I still thank goodness to this day that I no longer have braces.

Education = No Guarantee

This brings me to my next point: education doesn't guarantee shit--even if it's from a good school-- especially if it's a fluff degree instead of something pre-professional like nursing or programming. Hell, probably even a graduate degree doesn't guarantee shit. I think what does work is skills. In other words, the skill to fix pipes, electrical work, a good piece of code, nurse a patient back to health, accounting, and so on. That and having good connections, a solid work ethic, and being frugal/investing. Essentially, everything in the ERE book. I've spoken to many AC alumni that have super common lives, like working as a teacher for 20 years or whatever. I've also seen blogs of state school grads that traveled the world, wrote books, and so on. The difference is in temperament, ambition, and execution, not necessarily education attainment.

---------------------

Moving

Now that I have literally no reason to stay in Miami aside from maybe banking on living with the parents until 200k, I am pushing the front to move to Missoula, Bozeman, Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, Eugene, Bend, Boise, Burlington, or a few other 3rd-tier cities in outdoorsy areas.

I spoke to an AC alumni here about a few large non-profit organizations I could work for, and I could see myself working for them. They'd at least pay 40-50k/yr with benefits, and they would be <10 miles from my parents house. I could definitely buy one of those electric scooters I see literred around city streets.

I also spoke to an AC alumni about Missoula. She said that it's pretty isolated and has about 100k in population. The hard part is finding a job, but cost of living is still fairly low. Access to nature is immediate, with beautiful hikes being available within walking distance, common dress being outdoorsy, and people in their 20's and 30's.

---------------------

Other Random Thoughts

Programming: I've been thinking of trying to learn a programming language or something. I already like learning Portuguese and French, so why not Python or C++, which are much more in demand? I don't necessarily want to try a degree in the field, but rather gain the skill to be able to solve interesting projects and have the ability to work remotely more readily and at a high $clip$. I don't know where to start yet though.

Entrepreneurship: two of my friends from high school dropped out of college and became successful entrepreneurs. I recently met them and they suggested that I try entrepreneurship, even being open to take me on and teach me the ropes. I've scheduled to talk to them and see what they're up to (I think it's mostly coding stuff, which I am clueless in sadly).

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Sorry about the relationship front.....but it's probably a blessing in disguise, if you actually do something (act) about any of your ideas.

Most of the people I went to school with who got degrees are severely underemployed, and I dropped out to earn a nice six figure income till it no longer made sense. The ERE book makes a pretty clear point that school is simply a sorting mechanism, and most of what you "learn" is utterly useless.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

What'd you do to earn 6 figs again, sales, coding, engineering, or?