Dave's Journal - documenting the path to FI

Where are you and where are you going?
Dave

Value Investing, and what to do with it

Post by Dave »

Theory

I haven’t written much about my investing process and thought it worth sharing a little as there aren’t a lot of value investors (writing?) on the forums.

At the most basic level, value investors try to buy assets for less than they are worth.

This might sound like “duh, who doesn’t”, but what they are not doing at a fundamental level is evaluating how some given action/change/trend/force is going to directionally affect a given business and thus its stock price movement in the near-term (the approach of traders) or owning a collection of assets whose asset class exhibits some type of behavior (the approach of indexers/most traditional asset allocation strategies). To say it differently, value investors buy cash flows, not trends or correlations.

Going a little deeper, all assets have a fundamental intrinsic value. That value is the (present) value of all future net cash flows. Obviously in all real world cases, those cash flows can only be estimated. Given that we are estimating these cash flows, the reliability of our estimates are absolute critical. We can’t accurately estimate things we don’t understand to a sufficiently high degree, and we also can’t usefully estimate things that aren’t fairly durable.

This has big implications in an investing process: of all assets out there in the world, we will only be able to adequately estimate the cash flows of a small percentage, because 1) we will not have a sufficiently deep understanding of most things and 2) many things, even if we understand the situation, lack a narrow enough range of outcomes (i.e. low durability) to offer high-confidence situations. The takeaway: we can only actually come up with a useful estimate of the value of a small subset of all total assets. To tie this back to above, this is in contrast to traders who only look at how a given change is at play (stay at home orders from a virus will lead to increased demand for video conference, go long Zoom) or indexers who are trying to participate in long-term aggregated profits of publicly traded businesses. These latter two groups don’t try or need to understand the drivers of total cash flow, so can operate in a number of other spaces. Value investors are a bit more limited in this respect.

Once we accept this, we can begin to understand the above idea of buying assets for less than they are worth. We estimate the cash flows from now into judgement day for things we can adequately do so for, and then compare the current price of the asset to the intrinsic value of those cash flows. In reality, we are generally thinking about a range of value as there are a lot of different outcomes that can occur, and we take a look at the spread. If the price is below the lower end of that intrinsic value, the situation could be interesting and worth considering purchase.

At this point, it’s worth pointing out another key belief of value investors – prices diverge from intrinsic value with some regularity, spending time below, at, and above intrinsic value. Anyone who watches (publicly-traded) asset prices with any regularity can see this, although it is somewhat at odds with strong forms of certain academic finance views. Value investors accept this idea of price/value divergence as a critical component.

The next major piece of the puzzle is the idea of margin of safety. As in much of life, it is good to allow a degree of excess coverage around certain things. If you have a job interview at 3:00, it’s better to plan to arrive at 2:15 than 2:55. If you strive to be prepared to survive the ravages of environmental and their economic issues, it’s good to have low needs and multiple avenues of satisfying those needs than to rely on a single source of income that you fully spend, and then some via debt, to support your lifestyle. For investing, if you estimate an asset is worth $80-120, it’s better to buy it at $60 than $75. In both cases you are expecting to make money on the closure of the price/value gap and the cash flows of the asset, but in one case you have both higher upside and lower downside in the event you are wrong in your estimate of value. Given the difficulty of estimating value as the world is so complicated and complex, this is essential.

The final items of importance are behavioral. Many people can intellectually grasp the idea that an asset is worth the cash flows it will produce, that it is hard to predict such things so you can only do it well enough occasionally, and for that reason in addition to the allure of arbitrage paying less than value makes sense. But dealing with the reality of being patient and disciplined and waiting for prices to fall below intrinsic value before buying, holding on as they inevitably fall lower, and then waiting more for them to climb to value is a difficult thing for many. Many people are not wired for this, and you can watch it play out with every bust, and in fact this is a key reason why asset prices cycle so much to begin with. So in addition to the intellectual understanding discussed in prior paragraphs, value investors need a certain emotional ability to deal with lots of waiting and watching price declines.

To recap all of that, value investors find situations they can estimate with a reasonable degree of confidence, model out a range of cash flows of involved assets, determine the intrinsic value of those cash flows, buy those assets when the price available is meaningfully below intrinsic value, and then wait for prices to climb up to the value.

There is a lot deeper to go on all of the above – how to evaluate industry evolution, compare the industry participants, model pricing and cost trends, estimate cash flows, determine appropriate discount rates, determining an appropriate margin of safety, dealing with price/value movements with respect to portfolio management, and multiple more. But this is how I think about value investing at a high level.

Example

To ground all of this in an example, I thought it worth recapping an investment I made over the last year and a half that illustrates the above. I’m going to leave a lot of details out to keep this more illustrative of the above and less of a formal stock write-up.

I have followed Alliance Data Systems (ticker ADS) for 4 years or so. It has/had a few other segments, but its core business is partnering with various retail businesses and driving incremental retail sales by providing and managing credit card/reward programs. As a financial firm, ADS is a spread business that earns a high rate of interest on outstanding credit card receivables that it finances at a lower rate a debt. The gap of these two is large, but it has to cover credit card defaults and operating costs before anything is left over as profit.

ADS has undergone a lot of changes in the last several years including selling off one of its segments, completing large share repurchases, losing some ground in its legacy mall retailer clients but gaining some in other segments, and paying down debt. But, just a few years ago it earned $17/share, with “core” earnings estimated closer to $20. What was the right value for ADS? Hard to say. It used to be a growth company with excellent capital allocation and traded above 20 times earnings (a Price/Earnings, or PE ratio). But its credit card businesses had stalled to no growth and other segments had struggled, too. The PE ratio fell hugely in addition to the business troubles, and the stock had fallen from a peak of $275 a few years ago to $110 coming into 2020.

Then the pandemic hit. Imagine the concern investors had over a credit card company (i.e., leveraged) that had outsized exposure to brick and mortar retail in a period where the discretionary physical economy was shut down with a hugely uncertain future. In the span of a month, the stock fell from $100 to nearly $20.

Did this make sense? Well, it caught my eyes, as the stock was trading just over 1x what it had earned a few years ago, and likely could again in a post-pandemic world.

There were a few legitimate concerns as far as I was concerned. How long would the pandemic last, and therefore brick and mortar retail be hammered? Well, first ADS clients do not purely sell in brick and mortar, a detail seemingly glossed over, so its credit card businesses was not seeing $0 retail sales. A meaningfully reduced number, yes, but not zero. Presumably at some point the world would go back to something approaching previous normal with some brick and mortar sales, maybe 2-3 years in a negative scenario. The implication of this is the stock of credit card receivables would not be having additional balance added for a while.

But what about on the payment side? Would ADS see horrific credit card defaults, wiping out the equity? Well, the average ADS card holder is a woman with middle-upper class income. Historical charge off data is available. In the global financial crisis, charge offs hit a certain level, the worst in their history. Even under worse assumptions than that, ADS still had meaningful breathing room. And would the government step in and help consumers with some sort of stimulus, indirectly backstopping credit card defaults? A possibility, but unsure at the time.

So I looked at a situation where you could buy a business at a 1-2x what it was likely to earn again at some point in the future assuming the business could survive the next 2-3 years, which, given the composition and financial situation of its average cardholder and its past financial history, seemed extremely likely. I knew ADS was likely to report poor results for 2020, 2021, and even 2022 wasn’t likely to be great. But even if I assumed the pandemic took 3 years to recover, and no stimulus or assistance came, ADS would be able to survive its debt situation and shareholders buying at said prices would see earnings nearly equal to their purchase price in a year.

I went long around $29 and added more in the upper $30s. The pandemic progressed. Stimulus came. Governments responded, or didn’t. Management confirmed my views that even using the worst economic conditions modeled by credit agencies, they would be fine.

By February 2021, the stock was trading around $95. What was it worth? Should I continue to hold?

Well, one thing is for sure, it was less attractive than it was at $30. Whether I should hold was a hard thing to be sure of, the sort of classic "gray zone" situation that intellectually honest value investors will find themselves in the vast majority of the time.

Credit card balances are surprisingly stable, and ADS has managed the decline of its brick and mortar receivables well by moving into other verticals like Beauty and Pets. Maybe (but I wouldn't bet on it) a world exists in 15 years where people don’t carry nearly so much consumer debt, but even at $95 this thing was trading at a price where investors break even in 5-6 years, so we don’t need to model the future out that far, and even so there is a lot of data to suggest durability well beyond that.

I ended it closing my position out at an average price of around $95. I still thought it was cheap. I think it’s reasonable that ADS could get to $15 or higher of earnings per share again in a few years, but under my conservative modeling I thought $12 was highly certain. At a measly 10x multiple, this implied equity value of $120/share. At $95, ADS was trading at ~80% of my conservative estimate of its value. Attractive, yes. But taking the opportunity cost of other, less economically sensitive businesses on my watch list into consideration ADS was no longer was one of the highest uses of capital. So I moved on.

It’s worth noting that while many stocks had similar performance over that period, the risk involved in this one as compared with many others (say an airline or cruise line or movie theater chain that had extremely reduced revenue and material debt loads that would be defaulted on abruptly barring outside capital) was significantly lower, as this business did not face existential threat or massive equity impairment risk. This wasn’t a risky bet that worked out because of rapid vaccine development or government corporate/consumer assistance or shareholder optimism, but rather excessive pessimism brought on by a misunderstanding of the business. Ironically, stimulus checks and other assistance have hurt ADS to a degree as payment rates on credit card balances have been elevated, lowering the amount of interest collected.

This situation illustrates my value investing philosophy. I had followed ADS for several years before 2020, and understood its business well. I believe it to be fairly durable over the next 5-15 years that matter for this investing horizon. At pandemic lows, market pessimism pushed it down to something like 1-2x what the business was likely to earn again under mistaken assumptions of bankruptcy, which were not supported by historical performance or an understanding of their credit card receivable credit profile. I didn’t know exactly what intrinsic value was when I bought, but I was certain it was north of $75 under even horrendously negative projections, as in just a few years the cash flows of the business would cover my purchase price. So I put ~30% of my portfolio into a business at <50% of an extremely conservative estimate of value/20% of a more reasonable estimate of value, and then held on as market sentiment changed.

Takeaway and Reflections

Estimate value for what you can, buy for a lot less than that, wait for it to go up, sell. Repeat.

That’s value investing to me.

Happy to talk about this stuff if folks are interested. I don't participate in the Trading Log as it's sort of a different game, but this is what I try to spend a good chunk of my time doing - compounding financial capital while living off as little as possible, with the medium/long-term goal of reallocating profits/capital back into broader/non-self uses as I learn more about how financial capital can be best utilized to assist causes I support.

This quote of Lucky C's is an interesting take, related to what I'm doing (with the substitution in the first paragraph of "value investor" for "successful trader"), and the risks of what I'm trying to do if I fail:
Lucky C wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:35 pm
If I can become a successful trader rather than investor, i.e. make more money than I would have buying & holding a traditional portfolio for the long term, then effectively I will be taking money from other investors and traders over time. At the end of our lives, I will have more wealth to spend as I see fit, and they will have less. If I spend more to benefit the environment (or at least harm it less) than they would have, then my involvement in trading is potentially a better impact to the world than if I just held bonds/cash/gold with little growth.

Similarly, trying to get better interest rates, investment returns, etc. can benefit the planet in the end if that's what you intend to do with your winnings. I wouldn't worry about my little contribution to money/banking while it's invested vs. what could be done when it's eventually put to good use outside of financial markets.

On the other hand, if I fail to beat the average investor, they will accumulate more wealth than me over time and I'm guessing will not use it in as environmentally-friendly ways as I would. So it's up to me to outcompete other investors/traders as well as I can, not for my own consumption or scorekeeping, but for the good of the planet! That's the way I see it over the long term anyway.

Dave

Re: Dave's Journal - documenting the path to FI

Post by Dave »

Fall 2021 Update

Life marches on.

Financial Review

As expected, our spending has plummeted since moving home, hovering just over the 2021 poverty line for 2. I've been pushing to improve things here a bit. Probably to be expected with moving back around old friends and family after a few years, but we fell back a bit into habits of eating out a bit more than we had been. I'm not talking about hundreds of dollars per month here, but more than necessary now that we're settled. The usual approaches apply - restructuring social activities to ones that don't require eating out, bringing food, eating beforehand, etc.

We are definitely reaching the limits of how low we can get barring a qualitative change in lifestyle. We could knock a little off for vacation and our small "entertainment" budget, but we're talking about cutting out just a few thousand dollars at this point.

Probably the biggest "issue" is what I discussed a few posts back - we are alternating our living arrangements between two cities several hours apart, and so we have to have a car and use it (rentals would be slightly less economical and much less convenient, based on extensive prior experience). We're only a few months into this situation, but it is a way for us to attempt multi-generational living with both our families. I see a lot of value in this arrangement and am OK with the car, but if something changed where we were overwhelmingly in one location, we could cut another chunk out of the budget.

Definitely in the land of diminishing returns though. It's fairly optimized at this point. That doesn't mean I don't want to improve, but within the current paradigm I am mostly tapped out. I am going to reread the ERE book soon, and have been actively trying to consider what the next level (which I believe would be WL6) could look like for me.

Investing is going very well. I am outperforming any major index of US stocks by over 50% YTD. This has been accomplished by investing mostly in the stocks of cash-flowing, low-debt, durable businesses. I've been fortunate this year with a buyout of a major position and some favorable price movements that I've traded around well.

It's a funny thing, because while I am up a lot year YTD and broad markets appear elevated, I still see a lot of undervalued stocks in the areas of the market I hunt in. I keep a watchlist of companies I understand sufficiently well, I update the valuations every few quarters, and update the prices weekly, and still see numerous stocks trading at <2/3 of my estimate of value. No shortness of ideas here. I estimate our portfolio to be as undervalued now as any time it was pre-2020 pandemic low periods, but prices move unpredictably so I don't put too much faith that this estimate of mine means much in terms of price performance over the coming year or two.

As we are generating meaningful excess cash flow, we continue to plow cash into my high conviction ideas.

DW and I have started our discussions of philanthropy and how we want to approach giving going forward. We have started in small ways, but would like to scale this as our net worth climbs. We are still weighing the common "give lots now to help current issues" against "give little now and lots later after we accumulate wealth". When I set my emotions aside, it's not clear to me which is better. It has to do the with ROI of the use of capital (hopefully I'm not suffering investosis here). If we save our money and I grow it at a favorable rate (financial compounding), and give it all away later, that could have a huge effect then. On the other hand, if we give it now to causes that generate a large social/environmental/etc. benefit, those benefits can compound too. For example, something like educating and helping to improve the life of girls in poverty in rural Africa could have massive returns.

Obviously I know neither the future returns of my portfolio nor the benefit of doing such things, so it is exceedingly difficult to weigh these considerations, but we are beginning to try. I am very open to thoughts/ideas/resources on such things to help us become better educated.

Further, there are the obvious problems of how many charities/churches/organizations either squander large portions of donations or direct it to pretty low value uses. So we need to educate ourselves on the many issues out there and then also the vehicles/organizations by which we will help them out, for such things we choose to do.

Nonfinancial Review

There isn't a whole lot new to report here. I've been reading new books, working on cooking some new things, hanging out with family and friends a lot, learning some home/garden DIY from my dad/FIL, and generally enjoying life. The onset of fall is reminding me of the challenge of winter I have ahead after several years of tropical winters!

One challenge I have is I developed lateral epicondylitis/tennis elbow from a training approach I was doing. Lessons learned, but it has been frustrating as it is taking some time to heal, and I have had to essentially stop my upper body training. As fitness is a major hobby of mine, this has been a major bummer. But I'm keeping perspective - this is not such a big challenge in the grand scheme of things.

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies »

I enjoyed reading about your value-based investing. I'm guessing that finding such companies is based on long term effort (as you've mentioned above) but is anything else helpful in getting started? Are stock screeners of any use? I'd enjoy reading more about your techniques.

Oh, and I came back to edit after a couple of days because I realized my questions might be answered by reading the introductory investment book series that Jacob has mentioned numerous times. I'm still working on that so my basic questions might be answered there already.

Dave

Post by Dave »

SavingWithBabies wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:24 pm
Hey SWB,

Yeah, it is definitely long-term effort. As time has gone on, I find myself less and less likely to buy stock in companies I haven’t followed for at least a couple of years. As would be expected, the longer I follow a given company the better I understand it, and this leads to more accurate valuations, which on a go-forward basis is useful in gauging whether price volatility is reflective of fundamentals or an opportunity to buy/sell.

But to your question, I look at new companies all the time. I find ideas from a variety of sources: 13-Fs (a quarterly SEC filing showing the US stock holdings of institutional investment firms with assets under management of $100M+) partner/investor letters of professional money managers, write-ups on Value Investors Club/Corner of Berkshire & Fairfax/various investing newsletters and blogs, talking with investing friends, businesses I come across in everyday life, and in a lot of cases companies that are competitors or somewhere in the value chain of a company I am looking at for something else (e.g. when looking at an auto repair company I decided to look at major auto parts companies to understand the DIY vs. DIFM dynamic better).

I wish I had something more concrete to give you, but my search process is not especially systematic. I have run screeners in the past but not as a routine part of my process. I definitely think they can be useful. But in my experience, or at least with my approach, I don’t buy something because it screens well off a few major metrics. Generally speaking I think that things that screen well are likely to be picked over by quantitative investors.

I’m not sure if you’re familiar with the concept of circle of competence, but it’s foundational to my process.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_competence

To my thinking, there is zero reason to concern myself with things that I don’t adequately understand or would be able to understand with reasonable study.

Somewhat related, I like to invest in things where the cash flows are sufficiently durable over a period of time to value within a reasonable range. I find many companies fit into this category where there are a huge range of outcomes – generally because I don’t understand things well enough but also because of the difficulty in modeling complex adaptive systems – so I just move on.

For those two reasons, screeners often are not super useful for me because so much of what comes up is something that doesn’t meet those first two criteria.

So tying that back in above, I’m not likely to find a brand new idea that I am willing to plow a bunch of cash into, so I’m not out there looking for new situations to invest in all the time. Rather, I am looking at companies already on my watchlist, companies that are tangential to companies I already understand well, and occasionally new situations if it comes across my radar and seems like something in my wheelhouse.

It might sound super boring, but I am much more trying to let things come to me than pursuing and finding new attractive ideas (that various mental biases may trick me about). I’m looking for high confidence, high conviction situations. For that I reason I spend most of my time just reading about various business models and industries, and as my understanding and knowledge grows, more companies fall into my circle of competence/watchlist and generally some of them are going to be cheap.

My portfolio then is the reflection of those stocks that represent the ones trading at the lowest price to value ratios that I have highest confidence about.

If someone is looking to get out there and get started, I think the best thing to do is to 1) understand psychology/economics/finance/accounting well enough to have use of the basic tools, and then 2) go out there and just learn about various companies.

To your follow-up comment, yeah I think the introductory investment book series talked about here is a good way to get a grasp on point #1 in the prior paragraph.

A lot of people overly focus on #1, but #2 is just as important because business valuation is subject to garbage in garbage out, and being able to put together a DCF spreadsheet based off adjusted past free cash flow doesn’t guarantee investment success – you see this all the time on investment boards and write-ups with ridiculous assumptions/oversimplified viewpoints going into investment write-ups. Most of the time spent should be spent determining the assumptions, and that comes from a thorough understanding of the business and its industry dynamics.

When you really, really understand a business, a lot of the formal financial theory/knowledge isn’t even necessarily in a lot of cases. For example, after studying US car dealership groups I moved on to UK car dealers in late 2019. At the time, one of them, Vertu Motors, traded at ¾ of its tangible equity value. UK car dealers almost never sold (in private transactions with sophisticated, knowledgeable buyers) for less than 1x tangible equity value, and in many cases sold meaningfully above that. If you could rule out that these transactions were not occurring in a bubble, you had the opportunity to buy a major, scaled UK dealership group at <=3/4 the price sub-scale one-off locations were selling for in the UK, and substantially less than US dealerships were selling for in the US. There’s more to it than that, sure, but you can see in this case you don’t need a CFA license to see there is a market for this type of business and you could buy a quality asset cheaply. This idea has borne fruit to another investor I shared it with, although in the interim it traded down 50% at one point. A great overview of a classic value investing process, haha.

So in conjunction with studying the fundamentals in the book series, just reading and learning about companies that interest you and overlap with your existing knowledge is a good place to start. I know, it’s vague/not specific, but you don’t need a million ideas to do well in investing, you just need to be right about a few in a big way – Google “Buffett punch card rule” to see what I mean by this. Focusing on the being right part, by having a good grasp of the fundamentals, learning as much as you can about a situation, and maintaining intellectual honesty (i.e. not spending a few days reading about a situation and assuming you have some superior insight into how some the next earnings report will go and thus stock price will move in the next 90 days) are how I would recommend someone trying to follow traditional value investing philosophy proceed.

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies »

That makes a lot of sense. I like the punch card rule (on a tangent, I think the choices we make on what to work on while earning are similar in a sense that there are only so many working years and the typical goal with ERE/FI is to try to shorten that!). I like the idea of reading the financial statements in order to build up a web of related companies. I've seen that suggested before but haven't put a lot of time into it yet. But I think that is what I would try next. Thanks for taking the time to write that up. It's quite helpful.

Dave

Post by Dave »

A Return to Hunting

I haven't talked about it a lot in this journal, but I grew up hunting a fair amount: squirrels, rabbits, doves, ducks, turkey, and deer. I started going squirrel "hunting" when I was 6 and I killed my first deer at 12. This continued up until college, and at that time I began to hunt less and less as I moved away from the areas we generally hunted at. In my 20s I didn't do much hunting, other than an occasional deer or squirrel hunt.

However, now that I've moved back to the Midwest and am spending more time in the area I grew up, I am excited to be getting back into it. I participated in the opening weekend/week of Kentucky deer rifle season, and killed two deer. I'm going to go back down to camp tomorrow and do some squirrel hunting.

The whole process is a lot of fun, and I didn't realize how much I had missed it. Between scouting, setting up and maintaining stands, setting up camp (we tent camp outdoors), setting up a skinning station/carcass pit, rifle management, shooting, field dressing/skinning/quartering/butchering, and camp cleanup/outhouse management, there are a lot of skills. I learned most of these long ago, but had been away from it for a long while. After the past week, I'm mostly comfortable with everything again.

From the two deer, I probably got a bit above 100 pounds of meat. Traditionally my family would butcher it ourselves, cutting it out into various cuts of whole meat (steaks from the toploin/tenderloin/etc., shanks) and various other cuts that we have processed into ground meat, sausage, "buck sticks", and jerky. I'm going to explore getting a grinder and doing the meat grinding myself.

As we hunt out of state (because this is where my parents own property), we have to buy nonresident licenses/permits, so between that, various other costs such as ammunition and so on, and the processing fees, it's not cheaper than buying meat from the store. The industrial system is amazingly financially efficient. However, eliminating the grinding fee gets it a bit closer to parity.

If I were a landowner and resident and ground my own meat, it would be cheaper to hunt. As is, it's not. But I'm okay with that, because it's a lot of fun and I enjoy developing/practicing/having a skillset that can allow me to obtain quality food while cutting out several stages in the standard industrial process.

Going forward, I hope to improve my hunting skills, incorporate more of the processing myself, and scale up my hunting (and perhaps fishing, later) of other types of game. In ERE speak I want to incorporate this into my WoG, but I guess simply it's just something I see adding value across multiple dimensions of value with minimal cost to any.

The Simple Life

Being down at camp for several days, sleeping in a tent, cooking on the fire/stove, using an outhouse, eating a fair portion of our food from freshly killed meat, spending a lot of hours sitting in the woods, and generally living a more simple, unplugged life gave me some time to reflect.

I remember @brute saying some time back something to the extent that one of his strengths was the ability to go without much and just live a life of radical simplicity. This always resonated with me. If I artificially divide my life into pre-college (lots of hunting/camping/some fishing) and post-college up to now, there are two distinct phases. College and on I did a lot more consumer-y things than the first phase, partially because that's what so many people in my social circles were doing. Most of this felt extraneous to me and I did it to go along and because I was curious to try new things, and therefore when I began my ERE path it wasn't really that hard to just carve most of that out because I never needed it to be content.

In fact, sometimes I envision if I had taken a different direction in life, maybe I would be living more like @theanimal, where I would have pursued my outdoors interests more and made a life somewhere out in the country. As it is, I don't see my life path purely going this direction, but I believe that if I needed to, or say if my wife wanted to, I would be open to something more in that direction.

It's a nice feeling, because I basically know that I would be fine living out in a simple camp with a tent, hunting a fair portion of my calories, maybe growing a little something, and requiring extremely minimal financial outlay to plug the gaps (equipment replacement, ammunition, fuel, etc.) Again, this is not "necessary", but it feels powerful knowing that if my portfolio cratered and my wife didn't want to work, we could move somewhere and spend <$10K/year total collectively. That level of spending is absurdly easy to obtain currently, even without our qualifications, and likely even not so difficult in a world with meaningfully smaller economic pie to go around.

Life is good and I am happy with our present direction.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Nice update! Sounds like a very satisfying and fulfilling experience. Have you looked into how Wisconsin and Michigan compare cost wise? Illinois has so few places one can go. I remember when I was home a few years ago we tried going to a forest preserve about an hour and a half south of the city to look for deer but the area was just so small. You might have more luck north near the WI border, McHenry county maybe? Perhaps you could take the Metra there. That'd be an experience.

Dave

Post by Dave »

@theanimal

Thanks!

It was, really enjoyed it. I went squirrel hunting over the weekend and fell short of the daily limit, but still had some success and fun. Also was a good reminder of how much of a pain it is to process squirrels!

I hadn't looked in a while, so I checked out those states. They are meaningfully cheaper than Kentucky, but still (frustratingly) expensive as I would be buying nonresident, as I do in Kentucky. There isn't any way around that if I want to hunt at my parents' property.

After your message I thought about about the merits of considering hunting elsewhere occasionally, and I may do so. But, even with my more limited hunting in the last decade, I have been involved in developing and maintaining that property for almost 20 years, and even if the financials aren't quite as optimal as hunting elsewhere, I do see myself being involved and wanting to be able to focus a lot of my efforts there as it's a long-term project of our family and we host some camping/hunting activity that I want to be involved in, and to help my dad with as he progresses in years.

Still, there is more to look into elsewhere, and I'll do so - thanks for the suggestion! Hahah, yeah taking the Metra would definitely be quite an experience :lol:!

Dave

Post by Dave »

Winter 2022 Update

Goodbye 2021, and hello 2022.

I did some extensive journaling here last year after we moved back to the Midwest, and not a whole lot has changed on the various fronts. I have rehabbed my injury and got my training back on track, (after putting on some muscle) I've been cutting/lowering body fat for a few months here (targeting legitimate "abs" by end of March) after it went up a bit upon moving back, been reading a number of books, lots of investment work, a fair bit of hiking, hunting, helping our family with all sorts of things, etc. I have not made substantial progress in ERE efforts, unfortunately.

Spending is still quite low. Because of our housing situation, we are spending less than our WL would suggest. I.E., I think we are ~5 based on the paradigm/approach to life/life systems, but our spending is ~6. I want to make further progress, but need to reflect on this to figure out how to move forward. We haven't been sliding backwards, but haven't been progressing in non-financial ERE-space. This is a bit disappointing to me, and an area for improvement.

Financials are great. Obviously this is not representative of a normal year, but we had an 80% ROR on our portfolio. As mentioned, I do not use margin, I generally don't invest in companies with significant leverage (the occasions I do are only do if their business is such that they are unusually stable/able to service such debt), I focus on cash-flow positive businesses, firms with a strong competitive position, durable business models, etc. So these sorts of results are fantastic. They aren't likely to be repeated - the setup coming into 2020 was perfect, as many small-cap companies never fully recovered from the Covid crash, even those business models who were not harmed. That, plus a few favorable situations (a buyout of a major position, a 65% rise in the price of a major position in a few months that I nearly top-ticked) resulted in an unusually great year for the portfolio.

While I am agnostic on the broader market's direction, I still see many (generally small-cap) businesses trading at substantial discounts to the value implied by the cash flows or assets of the business, so I am optimistic. This doesn't mean they will trade up this year, but I do expect favorable results over the next 2-4 years.

This pushes our WR down materially from when I last mentioned it, so our financial situation is strong. But like I said above, I am trying to fill out my life in other dimensions. I enjoy the process of being a value investor, and will continue with it, but I do want to expand as a person and incorporate more things into my life.

Onward

2022 is off to an interesting start: I tested positive for CV-19 earlier this week. I was in close contact with someone who was pre-symptomatic, and presumably I picked it up from them. My wife is in the same situation. We are both vaccinated, and frustratingly were just about to get the booster. Oh well. We have symptoms, but our experience is that of a bad cold. Our concern is our parents, as we have been in contact with both sets prior to us knowing we had symptoms/been around someone with CV/acted accordingly. Two of them are sick, but one was prior to when we would have transmitted, and the other tested negative (albeit with a rapid test). Fingers crossed.

Other than that, just trying to get this new year started right. I've been reflecting on things and getting ready to do my annual personal reflection and journaling. Despite CV-19, we've continued to do our strength training and ~60 minute outdoor nightly walking, 15 degree weather, snow, and Covid be damned :-P.

Onward to another year - best of luck to everyone.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Dave wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:10 pm
Winter 2022 Update 2022 is off to an interesting start: I tested positive for CV-19 earlier this week.
How are you and your wife feeling Dave?

I'm getting some post-covid symptoms which are actually worse than the covid; chronic tiredness, concentration problems and a constant dry cough. They say it usually goes after 12 weeks or so.

Dave

Post by Dave »

chenda wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:57 pm
How are you and your wife feeling Dave?
We are trending back to normal pretty quickly, thankfully. At this point we both have just a little bit of congestion, and in my case my taste and smell are hugely diminished. It's really weird!

Ugh, I'm sorry to hear that it's ongoing for you. I saw your Covid Christmas thread, huge bummer :cry:. Hopefully those problems go away sooner than the standard ~12 weeks!

chenda

Post by chenda »

Thanks @Dave, I'm glad you are feeling better.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Summer 2022 Update

It's been a good year so far. Some highlights:

-Spent a month in Hawai'i back in February - felt good to be back!
-Spent a week out in the Vegas area (really enjoyed the parks/preserves, hadn't spent a lot of time in the area before).
-Successfully cut down to legitimate visible abs, stabilized, and now slow bulking. Still doing using calisthenics as training modality.
-Read >20 books so far this year, learning a lot.
-Attended some martial arts classes, feeling mixed about it so far but glad I've done it.
-Continue to focus plurality of time on investing. Down YTD, but beating broad US indices by low double digit %s.
-Helped family and friends on a variety of house/landscaping projects, finances, diet, and exercise. Really enjoy having the time to help people out. I am just unskilled labor on the house/landscaping projects, but I have something useful to contribute on finances/diet/exercise. Contemplating a very small scale personal training/health business, but feel mixed about it.
-Built/building a relationship with a fitness influencer and helping to proofread their books. Offered to do for free, but ended up getting copies of other books for free. Moneyless exchange of value.
-Worked on several relationships with close family members and believe they have improved substantially.
-Reestablished meditation routine and trying to integrate mindfulness more into my life off the cushion.

I've been something of a broken record in that there hasn't been much progress moving up the Wheaton scale, but I've been happy with life and the direction it's going.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Sounds like things are going well. What martial art are you practicing? Any books you'd recommend from your pile this year?

Dave

Post by Dave »

theanimal wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:37 pm
Sounds like things are going well. What martial art are you practicing? Any books you'd recommend from your pile this year?
Hey! I misspoke a bit in that it's not technically a martial art, but I've been doing Krav Maga classes. I like the idea of learning some basic self-defense and doing a new physical activity. I'm finding the classes seem a bit weaker on self-defense than I had hoped, and more conditioning drills. Still fun though.

My favorite books have been:

-The Hungry Brain (diet/nutrition book focused on the brain's role rather than macros/food types/etc.)

-The Flavor Equation (a book on how to level up your cooking, a nice addition to Salt Fat Acid Heat)

-Irrational Exuberance (a classic book on market bubbles that has been updated through a few cycles)

-Atomic Habits (pop-ish book but found it surprisingly good)

-Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World (very enjoyable read, found many of my ideas about the Mongols was way off base and I didn't realize how influential they were in influencing many of the attributes of modern civilization like free commerce/secular politics/religious coexistence/diplomatic immunity.

-Tao Te Ching (Taoism staple, I like Eastern stuff a lot and this is a very short, enjoyable, and insightful read)

Dave

Post by Dave »

Winter 2023 Update

Many of the themes mentioned in the last update continued: lots of reading, travelling throughout the US, completing the cut/bulk cycle and beginning slow cutting, ongoing efforts to improve relationships, working on several house projects, refining knowledge around some areas of investing/trading that I was weak on, another successful deer hunt, and some other areas.

The portfolio was down modestly for the year, but I meaningfully beat my benchmark again and have now compiled a satisfactory 6 year track of outperformance since focusing on investing as my main activity, and my full 10 year track record also outperforms. Investment success can always change and I've known many investors who have solid runs (luck?) that break over time, so I'm cognizant of that risk, but so far I continue to believe this is a worthwhile use of my time on a $/hours basis, and I continue to enjoy it.

There are two areas of note in my life. I have regained some traction with my spirituality practice and it feels really "good". It's a hard thing to put into words, so I won't say a whole lot about it. Suffice to say I've been feeling peaceful and content with this whole life thing. Second, my wife is pregnant and with an expected due date in the summer. Tons of learnings and things to do related to this, but it's been planned for a while and our finances, health, and general lifestyle are very well situated for this, and we are very excited for this next stage of our adventure.

We're heading off soon on a 6 week trip to our favorite Pacific islands to break up the winter and enjoy one last trip just the 2 of us, and then we'll begin all of the preparations. Life is good!

Dave

Post by Dave »

All settled on this little sojourn into the warmth and sunshine. Our rental is furnished, but had to source an additional monitor for DW's work setup. Luckily there is a robust Craigslist market and store base for such things.

The biggest challenge is the schedule: we are maintaining CST hours being staying in HST (4 hours back). So we wake up a bit before 4AM, work until 12-1, exercise and hit the beach, and then start winding down at 4PM by closing all the blinds and turning down the lights. Lights off by 7:30-8PM. The body is doing OK with it, hoping to feel a bit better in a few days.

I love being back near excellent outdoor workout parks. I have a DIY setup at home base for the winter, but it's indoors. Working out here under the sun and in view of mountains and the ocean is paradise for me.

We hope to knock out the pen and paper planning aspect of the pregnancy during this trip: what things do we need to obtain or buy, what do I need to setup legally/financially, and of course how to actually take care of an infant! These are #1.

The rest is life as usual with a focus on work and health. Excited to visit some old friends here, and hopefully meet some new people, too.

Dave

Sunset

Post by Dave »

I've been reflecting on this journal and believe the sun is setting on it. My journey has never been that interesting compared to many of the posters here. With the exception of leaving full-time w*rk at a sub-normal multiple of annual spending to focus on investing, I just haven't done that much that is noteworthy or of particular interest to other ERE'rs. I've integrated ERE theory to a moderate-enough level to have lived well just over $10K/head in downtown Chicago and a smidge higher now with a more mobile hybrid at-home + vagabonding arrangement. But it's all pretty mundane blocking and tackling: Pareto-optimize the big areas of housing/transportation/food by living in a shared space close to work/food supply and eating cheap staples, DIY everything you can, find or create your own free entertainment and meaning.

Investing, the one area that stands out in my life, is difficult to talk (usefully) about. Much of the space is convinced active investing absolutely cannot generate alpha and that individuals like me are just like the statistically unlikely 10 heads coin flips in a row on the precipice of breaking the streak, having simply been lucky while taking on excess risk. A lot of the rest thinks that listening to a few podcasts of gurus and scanning financial data aggregator sites for a few favorite ratios is enough to generate alpha. And to be fair, I understand both sides. The overwhelming number of people probably shouldn't try to actively invest so the first group is mostly/effectively right, and on the other side I don't think participants realize that the barriers to trading/investing are so insanely low (a few clicks of the mouse) relative to the difficulty involved that it's the equivalent of being able to to just walk onto the court of an NCAA game and expecting to have a real shot at competing without 1,000s of hours of training and ongoing effort. For those more in the middle of those two extremes, it's hard to share ideas as situations are dynamic and you don't want people blindly cloning, but hardly anyone outside of fund managers and full-time private investors have the interest to deep dive into the specifics of an industry/company/situation.

And further, the financial/money/$/investing side of things has gradually taken on decreasing importance as the aggregate Wheaton level of the forums has climbed. This is a great thing overal, given what ERE is really about. But given that my single biggest area of effort is actually around active investing of financial capital, it means that I just don't have a lot of interesting stuff to share in the area I put most of my effort in and have the most to add.

Sure, I do other stuff. I've talked about it a bit in this journal, spanning cooking, traveling, bodyweight hypertrophy training, fat loss, improving family relations, hunting, writing, editing, home renovation projects, trash clean-ups, financial coaching, pursuing spiritual practices, and so on. And in the cases when I do stuff, journaling about it feels somewhat forced - it very well might just be a personality thing with me - but sometimes I feel sharing "projects" is somewhat obnoxious where I'm describing activities that are quite obviously wholesome and good in ERE lingo that really aren't that interesting (at the level I am doing them). Sometimes walking to the park to do pull-ups is just walking to the park, and picking up trash along a canal while chatting with strangers is just cleaning up the backyard. Throwing in words/phrases like yields and WoGs and homeotelic and stoke is just overcomplicating common-sense living principles of enjoying life while being a productive and contributing member of society.

The reality is my life overall just isn't that interesting to talk about on these forums given that most days are a combination of investment research, general reading, walking, strength training, time in nature, cooking & eating, meditating, and spending time with family. It's been like this for a while now, and is unlikely to change in the near-term except for the ratios of each shifting around with the arrival of a little one! From the perspective of the explore/exploit model, my life is fairly heavy on exploit, and thus I'm not iterating on a ton of novel and cool ideas and trail-blazing projects like many others here. Truthfully, that has never really been my style.

The purpose of the journal has been served for some time now. I may update it periodically if anything comes up, but I am going to stop with regular updates as the cloud doesn't need to waste space recording trivial information on Dave's strength or body composition metrics, miles walked, portfolio fluctuations, and the like.

As always, I will be forever grateful to @jacob and so many of the posters here for all of the information and help. It has made a massive difference in my life, and I try to be of service to others when I see a fellow traveler on the journey.

Life is good.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

What a cool place to be, and what a great way of articulating it. I really appreciate what you've documented in this journal, and as always appreciate your thoughtful posts. There's a lot to learn from your demeanor, I think.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Agreed. This is what unconscious competence looks like. While I'd have loved to learn more from you on the investing front, Dave, I appreciate your contribution and wish you all the best.