cmonkey's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
cmonkey

Re: cmonkey's journal

Post by cmonkey » Thu May 09, 2019 11:48 am

I'm not completely sure yet, I think I'd want to have another conversation with my old co-worker with more targeted questions regarding the HR activity reduction. Is it actually meaningful.

Before I make any decision about anything, I also want to have another phone call with them and talk specifically the work they are doing and have coming up. There was always a tendency to hype the amount of work we had coming and would want to know it's not hype anymore.

A contract position seems more conducive to leaving in a year or two if things aren't as they are promised, but a salary position would end up with higher pay at the number I gave as I'd get nearly the same base rate plus 2 large bonuses each year and a large 401(k) match. Contract would be about a 27% bump and a salary position would end up being about a 40% bump in pay from where I stand now.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey » Tue May 14, 2019 10:25 am

So just waiting on the paperwork to get finished, but it looks like I'm starting part time with my old employer on June 3. I negotiated a very good rate of 70/hr, it's 27% over my current rate. I'm keeping my old job until August 1 because I want to stay on my current health plan. We have maxed out the plan and want to take advantage of bmonkey's next 4 figure heart scan while on that plan. I also have work commitments up until mid-July with them and don't wanna break that.

So the next couple months, income will be pretty substantial. :) Depending how it goes, I might talk to my old employer about staying part-time as this would be a cost reduction for them, while still being a large boost in income for me.

Oh, and we are moving in 12 days!

prognastat

Post by prognastat » Tue May 14, 2019 10:51 am

Congrats, couldn't have turned out better.

Good luck with the move, hope it goes smoothly.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Wed May 15, 2019 3:16 am

Very nice! Cutting the cord is way easier to deal with knowing you'll still have some income. congrats!

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento » Thu May 16, 2019 8:06 am

Congratulations! Off the top of my head it sounds like deep six figures. Wow! Good for you!

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey » Thu May 16, 2019 2:03 pm

I double checked my employment contract and turns out even part time work in the same field isn't allowed, so I'm just gonna quit and start full time with my old employer. It's feeling right to leave now anyway since my buddy has left and work is just getting more and more muddled. They have so much going on and it's not well managed at all these days. It was better a year ago.

Thanks all, yes I'm well into 6 figures now. The quick calculation is to double the hourly rate and then add the first digit to the total (70*2+7) and you get pretty close to the annual amount. :D

Being pretty much FI at this point (our FAI is topping our expenses this month!) this is all just gravy now and I'm doing it merely because they came asking. It feels a bit different. Not sure how long I'll do it but it may be well into next year now.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Fri May 17, 2019 3:59 am

Ahh another victim to OMY... there are definitly worse things. :D

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey » Fri May 17, 2019 7:17 am

classical_Liberal wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:59 am
Ahh another victim to OMY... there are definitly worse things. :D
Indeed! I think all along I have wanted to work a little longer, this is just making it easier. As soon as I don't enjoy it anymore, I can just be done! Given my work/life balance at the moment I consider myself semi-retired already TBH. Moving to MN is going to enhance that even more. 7 days until we pack the truck up!

Cheepnis

Post by Cheepnis » Sat May 18, 2019 2:00 pm

I haven't delved into your journal much because 44 pages is intimidating! So while I have nothing to really say about your current affairs, I would still like to offer a blast from the past and say damn that is (was?) a killer garden! I aspire to your level of green thumbness!

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey » Sat May 18, 2019 2:09 pm

Cheepnis wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 2:00 pm
I haven't delved into your journal much because 44 pages is intimidating! So while I have nothing to really say about your current affairs, I would still like to offer a blast from the past and say damn that is (was?) a killer garden! I aspire to your level of green thumbness!
Ha! Thanks, it's just a large patch of weeds at the moment given we are selling the place and will likely be grassed over eventually. Most of the flowers and non-edibles are still around though.

We'll do the same thing at our new place!