cmonkey's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
vexed87

Re: cmonkey's journal

Post by vexed87 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:36 am

Damn. Hard to find the right words. You are right not to white wash it, its a hard thing for anyone to go through, but ultimately the prognosis looks really positive, that's something to really hold on to.

If I'm honest, DD's 8 weeks in NICU was the hardest thing I have had to endure so far in life. Admittedly, I have led a pretty sheltered life, but I can't think of much that would best your own baby being unwell. We didn't have any surgery to contend with, so I have no pearls of wisdom in that respect, but the stay in ICU I can help with. As much as it's a long hard slog whilst your in the moment, take some solace in the fact that it's a blip on a much longer path of joy. I really mean it when I say, if you need someone to speak/vent/ask questions about the whole NICU situation please feel free to PM me, we can set something up. Its the least I could do having been through similar before.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:06 pm

vexed87 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:36 am
As much as it's a long hard slog whilst your in the moment, take some solace in the fact that it's a blip on a much longer path of joy. I really mean it when I say, if you need someone to speak/vent/ask questions about the whole NICU situation please feel free to PM me, we can set something up. Its the least I could do having been through similar before.
Thanks vexed! I've been focusing on this a lot. This too shall pass and we will end up stronger because of it.

wolf

Post by wolf » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:09 pm

Sorry to read that. I wish you all the best!

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:58 am

Getting Ready for Baby!

We are less than 5 weeks away from baby arriving now and are beginning to get stuff wrapped up. We have a suitcase half-packed and some other stuff too. Plans are made for our cats, albeit it's not ideal. They'll live in our basement and hopefully we'll have someone checking them. Otherwise I'll come back once per week to check them.

I've talked a bit about getting stuff from Craiglist and other people and thought I'd show you the most recent. A friend of a friend has gifted us with almost all of their baby girl clothing and we are feeling incredibly humbled by it! Bought on clearance (like we do) it would be at least 1K to buy all this. Bought new it would be 2-4K at least! Hundreds of items of clothing. They also gave us a couple bags of baby toys and a whole lot of other things like bottles, bibs and stuff. The plan is to take great care of all of this and gift it to someone when we are done. It's the best way to pay it forward.

It's all fantastically cute as well!! We found 2 or 3 we didn't like. The rest is stuff we would have bought had we found it for a good deal.

I've turned into a sucker for little girl outfits and stuff like this melts my heart now. :oops: :P :lol:

prognastat

Post by prognastat » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:14 am

You could get/build an auto-feeder and waterer for the cats to make it so people have to check on them less frequently.

People might be more willing to help if they feel they won't need to as frequently.

Crazylemon

Post by Crazylemon » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:26 am

I am sorry to hear that and it will be a difficult time. But as you say, this too shall pass. If there is anything we can do to help let me know.

That is a lot of very cute baby clothes!

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:33 am

We have large 3-5 gallon plastic bowls for food and water. The auto-waterer doesn't work for the girls because the one just plays with it to make the bubbles go. I guess we also now have someone who is going to come check them a couple times for us. My FIL and myself will also come back once or twice to water plants and such. So they will be alright. The problem is we have 2 "cat worlds" that don't mix. The boy lives in our basement and the girls live upstairs. While we are gone, we need an area for both where they can't break anything (the girls broke a whole lot of our wedding stuff shortly after we got them, so we now kennel them at night). They can't live in their kennel so the plan is to section off the basement.

C40

Post by C40 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:31 pm

I hope things go as well as they can.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:48 am

December / 2018 Update

A number of financial milestones reached in December -
  • We topped $10,000 in received dividends (since starting this journey) with our last December dividend.
  • FAI topped 9,000
  • Savings rate of 87% for the year
  • FI Funds ended the year over a quarter million at 255K, up from 171K last year.
  • I have saved up about 75% of the cash I need to bridge the first 5 years of retirement.
  • This one is the most important though - for the first time ever, our investment income topped our expenses in December!!

I thought we were gonna achieve a couple more, but alas not this year
  • We almost dropped under 5% WR.
  • TTM Expenses almost dropped under 13K for the actual calendar year.

A very successful year nonetheless!

DW will be full term on Friday (37 weeks). Her parents will be here on the 12th. Baby is coming in.....20 days! :o My next update should be photos of her.

December Expenses/Savings

Total Normal Spend - $904.70
Total Savings - $16,384.58 ; 94%

Years Saved - 19.50
SWR - 5.13%

TTM Expenses - $13,094.79 (- $437.08)
Total FAI - $9,299.73 (+ $460.92)

2018 Expenses/Savings

Total Normal Spend - $13,094.79
Total Savings - $92,845.97 ; 87%

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:42 am

That crossover looks darn sexy!

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:18 am

That's really great about the investment income exceeding your expenses, congratulations! :mrgreen:

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:20 pm

@ Both, Thanks! I also forgot to mention one other achievement - this was the first month our invest income reached 4 figures. Should be a few more of those now in 2019!

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:17 am

We had our last appointment in Iowa City on Monday. It went well. Baby had a growth scan - she is now 85th percentile, 2 days ahead and estimated weight of 7 lbs 9 oz. She is 38 weeks tomorrow.

We got a super frickin' cute photo of her little nose! :D

The OB said he is not convinced on the heart issue. He can't see what the cardiologist sees. Apparently this OB has more expertise with heart issues than other OBs which is why we have him. His comment lifted our moods a lot!

Ultimately the decision for surgery comes from a panel of surgeons, cardiologists and OB and it sounds like it's definitely not set in stone.

12 days until she arrives!!

vexed87

Post by vexed87 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:36 am

Fingers crossed you get yourselves booted out of the NICU in good time ;)

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:14 pm

That is great news!

Augustus

Post by Augustus » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:04 pm

cmonkey wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:17 am
Ultimately the decision for surgery comes from a panel of surgeons, cardiologists and OB and it sounds like it's definitely not set in stone.

12 days until she arrives!!
Good luck with baby! Mine was born with hearing problems, felt like I got the wind knocked out of me when I heard that. Heart must be even scarier.

My main advice is sleep as much as you can right now!! You're going to miss sleep soooo much haha. It feels so luxurious to sleep in post kid, like a 5 star meal, or substitute with whatever is a rare and much loved indulgence for you.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:41 pm

Augustus wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:04 pm
You're going to miss sleep soooo much haha.
Ha! I'm already missing it with DW up every 4 hours to use the loo, or because of aches and pains. The poor dear.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:24 pm

Look who's sleeping in her crib at only 6 days old! :D

As you might guess we are home from the hospital. DW gave birth to DD ( baby monkey? ) on January 23 at 5:31 AM. Baby weighed in at 8 lb 10 oz and was 21.5 inches long. Pretty good size!

Her heart has mostly fixed itself. As her blood pressure normalized it pushed the flap back in place and there is now no obstruction. The hole is largely gone at this point and they aren't concerned about it. We have a follow up scan in 4 weeks to make sure it is healing.

No surgery. :)

I'll post more about the adventure later during my update. For now, I am completely exhausted from a week long hospital stay and learning to be a dad, which is terrifying, amazing and going extremely well.

Last edited by cmonkey on Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Augustus

Post by Augustus » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:27 pm

Congrats! I'm glad there was no need for surgery!!! Also, springing for nannies and babysitters is totally legit, sanity costs money post baby, ERE be damned, everyone needs a break and some alone time, and don't skimp on husband/wife time. Better yet is having in laws do it, but you have to have some available.. we didn't.

prognastat

Post by prognastat » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:43 pm

Congrats on the successful birth and the improvement in the heart. Hopefully surgery won't be necessary.