cmonkey's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Re: cmonkey's journal

Post by jacob » Fri May 04, 2018 3:37 pm

You can always fill the pool with salsa and then .. okay, I haven't thought beyond this point. But it seems like a good initial step?!

A couple of years ago when our tomato+zucchini harvest was outproducing, I'd "perform" the following cooking:

2-4 pints of beans (black, kidney, .. whatever you like)
1 blender full of tomatoes + 5 cloves of garlic. Blend.
1 zucchini (size of a forearm, chopped into 1 cm^3 sizes).
1 large onion.

Proceed as follows: fry zuc cubes in oil in large pot until they start browning, then add onions and keep frying until they brown. Then pour already cooked beans on top (presuming you learned how to get the perfect chewiness) as well as the blended red/now pink tomato/garlic on tip. Spice up according to taste. Goes on top of carbs according to diet.

We ate this for several weeks. Monthly food budget was $50-70 for two adults at the time. Not entirely self-sufficient. I blame the evil cheese. Would have been less and healthier without the evil cheese.

light_bulb_moment

Post by light_bulb_moment » Fri May 04, 2018 4:01 pm

Mmmmm. Evil cheese...

Jason

Post by Jason » Fri May 04, 2018 4:02 pm

ffj wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 3:13 pm
@jason

In the chicken world, the roosters are the pretty ones unlike the human world where the pretty ones are females. They will also attack you from behind when you least expect it.
So it's like the 1980's.

Thank you.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey » Fri May 04, 2018 5:31 pm

ffj wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 3:13 pm
@cmonkey

Looking nice. I planted 55 tomato plants the other day, God help me if they all live. ;)
Thanks. Haha, that's a lot. I think we planted about that many a few years ago and have since scaled back a bit. I'm pretty sure we didn't waste any tomatoes either! Hence why we have several hundred quart jars scattered around our kitchen/attic.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey » Fri May 04, 2018 5:42 pm

jacob wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 3:37 pm
We ate this for several weeks. Monthly food budget was $50-70 for two adults at the time. Not entirely self-sufficient. I blame the evil cheese. Would have been less and healthier without the evil cheese.
I sometimes wonder why I cannot get my food budget down from where it is, when we eat so much from our garden. Then I remember this. The evil cheese.....mmmmm...

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey » Sat May 12, 2018 3:32 pm

Thinking About Taxes

So it's a given that we'll never pay federal tax again after I retire.

I think I've ALSO figured out how I can retire and pay zero in Illinois State taxes if we stay here for a while, which might be the case.

Illinois gives you exemptions for each federal exemption you claim in the amount of 2K each, so we get 4K off our taxable income.

I can harvest capital losses of 3K in excess of gains and offset our dividend income/IRA withdrawls.

Illinois also gives you a credit equal to 5% of your property tax, which for us would be 2200 * .05 = 110 / .0495 = $2,222.22 in additional income that is tax free.

So we are up to $9,222 in tax free income for Illinois, which is ALSO the amount of taxable dividend income I'll have when I quit. The other 5K I can take from IRA withdrawals and/or capital gains and harvest losses in my taxable account to avoid taxes. When I retire, I'll have about 260K in our single taxable account, which would require (at a minimum) 8K/260K = 3% of the account in the red each year. This seems entirely plausible for an actively managed account invested in individual stocks.

When we have a kid, add another exemption into the mix for a total of $11,222 in tax free income and then I only need about 3K in gains/withdrawals. If we have a second kid, it will be very easy to not pay taxes here.

A Problem?

The only "problem" I think I'll have is that I would not be able to withdraw much from my IRA accounts at this point, since anything beyond my harvested loss amounts would get taxed. When I'm done working, I'll have about 212K in retirement accounts. At 3% this is already earning 6-7K a year. It's reasonable to assume the accounts will increase by more than this.

One strategy is to keep my dividend income from my taxable account sufficiently low enough so as to maximize IRA withdrawals while staying under the Illinois tax radar. When I retire, taxable dividend income will be about 9K, but if I cut my yield in half, I also add 4.5K to the amount I can withdraw.

Another strategy to get the money out is to simply fund my HSA with equivalent withdrawals, but this is still just 7K per year. The transaction should be tax free.

Is it bad that I might not be able to get the money out tax free? They might be in run-away mode!

If we move to another state, this likely won't be as big of a problem.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer » Sun May 13, 2018 4:50 am

jacob wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 1:39 pm
...PS: Dandelions mixed with old newspaper make for great worm compost food. I learned that worms produce a lot better if some effort is pent on the carbon/nitrogen balance.
Are you feeding them only dandelions and newspapers while dandelions are available then? Or are you still adding kitchen scraps?
We've nicknamed our driveway the salad bowl becase we really can't be bothered razing all the weeds growing there. It would be great if we could actually turn it into actual worm food.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun May 13, 2018 9:04 am

Well, there are no more exemptions under the new tax code, right? I wonder if IL will take that as an opportunity to wring more taxes out of you?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob » Mon May 14, 2018 7:07 am

@FBeyer - The worms get everything while it's available. Due to the population expansion, I've had to add another floor to the bin. It's made out of 2x4s and 2x6s, squares which are IIRC two feet on each side. They usually overwinter in my basement in a big plastic container (rubbermaid). This winter I handpicked them out and restarted them in the rubbermaid on a bed of wet newspaper and toilet rolls (the cardboard center)---similar to my original worm farm described in the blog post I once wrote. This was a good move. Before I'd just dump the contents of the compost, worms and all, into the winter container which did not work as well. Another thing I did was to dump some of them in the garden beds under a bunch of leaves I collected (held them down with sticks and withered plants). They survived that under a foot of snow and ate the leaves.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey » Mon May 14, 2018 3:19 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 9:04 am
Well, there are no more exemptions under the new tax code, right? I wonder if IL will take that as an opportunity to wring more taxes out of you?

Good point, I have not seen whether IL will eliminate them too. Ugh.

I realized after I had thought about all of this that a couple needs 16K in income just to qualify for healthcare subsidies anyway. If we have a child or two it jumps to 20K and 24K. So I'll probably end up paying some tax despite my best efforts.

Fish

Post by Fish » Mon May 14, 2018 5:30 pm

cmonkey wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:02 pm
So we have decided we are selling our house and moving closer to family. This means small-ish town Minnesota. Think 10k-15K population.

The only problem we need to figure out is how to do it and when to do it. But we aren't getting younger, and DW's folks are approaching 70 already. :?
Is there any chance you could live with family for a few months/years(?) to 1) build savings, 2) get familiar with the area, and 3) validate your desire to live there? Might be too close for comfort though :)

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey » Mon May 14, 2018 8:40 pm

Fish wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 5:30 pm
Might be too close for comfort though :)
Definitely! ;) I also don't wanna seem like we "aren't making it" as dumb as that is.

George the original one

Post by George the original one » Mon May 14, 2018 9:01 pm

cmonkey wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 3:19 pm
I realized after I had thought about all of this that a couple needs 16K in income just to qualify for healthcare subsidies anyway.
Isn't that supposed to be 24k for a married couple?

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey » Mon May 14, 2018 9:20 pm

George the original one wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:01 pm
cmonkey wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 3:19 pm
I realized after I had thought about all of this that a couple needs 16K in income just to qualify for healthcare subsidies anyway.
Isn't that supposed to be 24k for a married couple?
I pulled those numbers from a quick search, and it looks like they are outdated. I guess it depends on your state. In Illinois it is 22K for a couple and 28K if I have a kid. Minnesota has their own marketplace, so I guess I'll have to look into it.