cmonkey's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
George the original one

Re: cmonkey's journal

Post by George the original one »

cmonkey wrote:We have the DW's new craft room primed.

Craft rooms are like garages(*)... just places to store stuff, LOL. My wife makes use of her craft room, but still spends more time in the living room spinning or on the computer in the computer room(**). I sure hope your wife makes good use of it!

(*) To be fair, the garage space is all mine and yes, it mostly stores stuff.
(**) My computer expanded beyond the space available in the computer room, so I have a corner in the downstairs living room.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

@GTOO, Ha! Good point. The MIL also uses it to store stuff. However, the DW has a computer in her craft room now (technically its our sitting room...or something...I'm not sure..) and spends almost all her time in it... Our livingroom is very cold in the winter due to being on the north side of the house above the garage with no insulation. Maybe once we have it insulated she'll spend time there. :lol:

We have the doors installed for each room and they are plumb with no binding. :)

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Two and a half weeks ago we finally decided we were going to finish our two basement rooms instead of leaving them half done while tackling the rest of the house. Two weeks ago tomorrow we got the ceiling up.

Here's where we were with the bedroom on the 18th.

Here's tonight. :) 100% finished except for the Ethernet port and putting up the furnace vent cover. I also need to shave a small bit off the door as it drags at the end of its swing, thus it not being installed. There is a fairly significant dip from the middle of the room to the door*. I was a bit tired tonight so decided not to do it.

* although you wouldn't know it from my scribed trim job :D

I'm pretty sure Monty thinks we are building this basement for him!

We bought our paint Wednesday and had everything painted by Thursday evening. Mostly the DW as she is a much better painter than I am. I started leveling the floor using shingles and 30 lb roofing felt on Thursday evening and we started laying the laminate Friday evening. It was a bit tricky to get started and took a bit of thought to realize the best method. Butt joints first then snap in the entire row, followed by a light tap in with hammer and block. Man my legs haven't been this tired since I ran 3 miles straight 2 summers ago. 6+ hours Saturday of doing squats! Knee pads helped but I didn't put them on until half way through. In the end it could not have turned out better. The floor is solid as a rock, yet soft on the feet at the same time due to the underlayment.

We are extremely happy with how everything turned out. Definitely the best finish I've done so far and its only my second room (after the kitchen). The trim turned out very well.

DW's craftroom is completely painted but its been used to store the painted trim and such so we haven't finished it yet. We need to do the floor and trim and paint her shelving and then we are done. This week!

ffj

Post by ffj »

Looks great. Give your wife a high five for a nice paint job; all her lines are crisp and clean. You guys are kicking some butt.

Your cat looks a little underfed, btw. ;)

llorona

Post by llorona »

I'm in love with your cat. Can I have him? :D

Oh, and the basement looks absolutely amazing.

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

Thats one hell of a nice house you have there :)

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

Looks like a professional job, well done Mr and Mrs cmonkeyI I especially like your choice of light grey, I picked out something similar for my spare room. It's a great colour for relaxing and getting stuck in with work/books etc!

Hope you enjoy it. Now, on to the next room ;)

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

@everyone thank you for the compliments! January has been an absolute blur, I cannot believe its February today!

@ffj, haha! That reminds me of last Christmas when we went away for holiday we left him a huge pile of food (1-2 feet high) in our shed (he was living in there at the time). When we came back 2 weeks later it was completely gone and he had doubled in size! We sort of ration his food now, but I'm a sucker for those huge beady eyes when he gets hungry. I should post a photo of when we found him in our garden. Smaller than a string bean.

@llorona, most certainly....not! :D

@thrifty, thank you!

@vexed, thanks! Looking at the photos it does look professional. I suppose its only that I built it that I know where the few little mistakes are! Agree on the grey coloring, plus it goes well with the bed set we are putting in there. I'll post a photo once we get it moved in.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Monthly Update, January 2016

Expenses/Savings

January was definitely the worst month since we began our accumulation phase. However, if you read between the lines we are continuing our trend of normal expenses. Remodel expenses were very high because we purchased nearly everything we need to complete the bathroom in the basement (vanity, tiling, toilet, plumbing, etc...) but then decided to hold off on it until we got the two large rooms done. So then we had expenses for finishing those two rooms too. I'm thinking February won't be quite as brutal, but we'll see. The way we are chugging through all the work we might get to starting the hallway by March.

I have also started putting away a set amount of money each month under 'remodel' so we can have some really nice carpet installed later in the year, most likely in late summer when we are done with almost everything. Estimates for our house are around 4K-5K for having carpet installed. :shock: However, we will never need new carpet again and we want something nice so it's worth it for us. By far it will be the most expense thing we do this year.

I called our home insurance company about getting our premium reduced and they came through for us. We had been billed $987 for March and now we are at $638. That effectively reduces the amount I need to save for FI by about 10K bucks!

We also had our semi-annual car insurance payment in January which pushed up our normal expenses by nearly 20%.

Also, my 401K contrinutions are now lower due to lower company contributions. My paycheck is also slightly smaller due to higher HSA contributions starting this year.

On a positive note, our grocery expenses were quite low and I attribute it to cooking more rice/bean meals and eating more stored garden produce. We are also both adhering very well to a WD style schedule and so I think we are eating less food actually.

So overall our savings rate hit a new low for the past 9 months or so, but I still count it as a great month.

Normal Spend - $974.29
Remodel Spend - $2322.76
Total Spend - $3297.05
Total Savings - $2190.10 ; 40%

Lending Club
FAI - $1529.75 (+$35.86)
SWR - 72.65% (+0.03%)

NAR - 14.24% (-0.30%)
Total Charge Offs - 6 (+2)

Dividend Fund
FAI - $679.36 (+$27)
Dividends Received - $8.74

401K/SEPP
FAI - $717 (+$0)

Our income declined slightly this month due to having 2 charge off with LC and only having received one small dividend from GPS. The 401K effectively didn't change at all, the balanced ended about 15 dollars less than January 1 due to massive declines and lower contributions. This month I added a small position of JNJ to our portfolio.

Total FAI - $2926.11 (+62.86)

Time to Bills Covered - 19 Months (-2)
Time to TTM Expenses Covered - 31 Months (-3)
Time to 3% LC - 49 Months (-11)

TTM Expenses - $13745.68 (+$321.80)

Our FAI timeline decreased this month substantially. I changed how I calculate our projected dividends by using our actual yield which is currently 4.76% instead of using a default value of 3.5%. It more will more accurately display where we sit currently and most certainly will change as our yield drops when I invest in lower yield stocks. But still seeing the time to 3% LC drop by nearly a year is nice! Now I just hope I don't target high yield stocks...simply because!

I also changed this year's projections to include expected renovation expenses so you can sort of see the line increases by a smaller amount this year before taking off after we are done with the renovation. I like this as it's much more accurate and I can hope to overshoot this.

TTM increased a little in accordance with an increase in the number of months I'm calculating on. This is settling into ~14K/year.

Remodel

I'll give a small month on month summary here since I am doing regular updates on this now. A month ago we had just gotten back from holiday travels and we had a TON of work ahead of us to get our basement finished. As of today the guest bedroom is complete and the DW's craftroom is nearly there. I have the floor leveled and we started putting down the floor last night. We will continue this tonight and probably finish tomorrow with this weekend seeing me finishing the DW's shelving (she painted it a bright blue/green color) and putting on all the trim and reinstalling the doors.

February will be the month of the bathroom! I am pretty confident I can get it nearly done by March given how much work we've gotten done so far (and I don't have 2 weeks of drywall fixing to do!). Since January 7th, I have only taken 3 days off of working on this project and each day I have put in between 2-3 hours (on workdays) and 6-8 (on weekends). I'd have to say our coffee budget has about doubled. :D

Eggs

70 eggs in January! The only chickens that are laying right now are the easter egger chickens and the blue andalusians (surprisingly because they are warm climate birds). The cuckoo marans, which are the most cold hardy, haven't laid an egg since before holiday! The slackers. :roll: We also just finally ran out of the chicken feed I bought back in June and so our chicken costs will go up again. I am thinking I'm going to just go with cheaper crumble feed and supplement with scratch feed each day as this will be a bit cheaper.
Last edited by cmonkey on Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

C40

Post by C40 »

Your basement is looking GREAT!!!

spoonman

Post by spoonman »

Good job with the basement, it looks fantastic. Btw, tell Monty he's a total ham! That is one cute kitty you got there.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

@C40 and @spoonman, thank you!

Monty is a total ham! Haha. He has got one of the best personalities of any cat I've ever had. Extremely talkative, we hold conversations for up to 5 minutes at a time on occasion. ;) Unfortunately I have somewhat of a dilemma now as I also have two girl kitties in the upstairs* that absolutely hate him. Hissing through the basement door. I really don't want another indoor cat but he will now beg at the garage door if I put him outside. So it seems he is now our basement/garage kitty for good, however, I am going to be ripping out the stairs/basement door and rebuilding them. I'm not sure how that will go since upstairs will open up to downstairs....

* Yes we have turned into those weird 'cat' people down the road...

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Interesting, did not know that. I'll look into replacing them, I already have some Square D QO tandems installed. Why only bedrooms? I looked and noticed they are not required in garages, laundries, bathrooms, kitchens and unfinished basements. Seems odds. They need to be in living rooms too?
From the sparkie forums, the pros are a bit divided on arc fault CBs. Some think it is just rules changes for the sake of rules changes, others think it's an upsale opportunity. The codebook gets republished every three years, and you have to have new rules, or nobody buys the book. The process for rule changes is a bit political, but it comes down to safety. Since arc fault CBs are new, the company that holds the patent, pushes for a rule to i increase sales. They then licence to major manufacturing corps, and you get to spend $15/ breaker,instead of $1. You put 3 in your house, and there gets to be a sizable sample size to see if there is a significant safety factor to the new CB.

With electricity (and most regulation), safety is the product, and 99% can't tell the difference between the illusions of safety and actual safety.

I installed arc fault CBs. I don't feel any safer, but I did pass inspection, and it only cost an extra $50. Since you wanted to rewire, I just thought I'd mention it.

C40

Post by C40 »

I've ready that if you have multiple cats, the best combination for them to all get along with each other is for them to all be neutered males. I got two cats some years ago and for this reason I got two males. Other than during the first day I introduced them, I never once saw either of them get mad at the other.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

@C40, yea we're pretty much in agreement we don't want 3 indoor cats. He'll be going outside when it's warmer probably, especially while I'm doing the stairs.

We have the DW's craftroom nearly done. All we have left is the shelving in her in-wall shelving, the sump cover and the ethernet port left to do. We also need to put the doors back on each room.

We had the room painted over a week ago when we did the other room. All last week I worked on securing and leveling the sub-floor. Thursday we started laying laminate. Friday we finished the floor except for the last couple planks and then this weekend I finished the floor and finished all the trim. We ran out so needed to go get more and repaint them today. The trim actually turned out a bit nicer than the other room. The scribed cuts are a bit smoother and you can't tell as much.

Here's 3 weeks ago.

Here's tonight!

To get the floor to line up perfectly, we simply continued putting it in from the other room and wrapped around the wall.

Here's an image of how I flattened the floor. It worked reasonably well and was easier to use than self-leveler. Under that roofing felt was a layer of shingles. When I say flat, it was withing 1/8 of an inch across most of that. Then we put down a foam underlayment that brought it to within a 1/16 of an inch or less across the whole floor. However, heading out the door it really drops down, it still drops about 1/2 inch. There wasn't a whole lot I could do about it as I was already 2 layers deep and you aren't supposed to go over that. Originally it was over an inch drop! Really bad. It feels very good under foot now. It took about 2 days of working on it to make it good.

Finally to celebrate our being nearly done with half of our basement, the DW made a pan full of these crullers for tonight. They practically melt in your mouth. It's ok to be jealous. :mrgreen:

spoonman

Post by spoonman »

Awww man, you had to throw in that last photo! Those look good alright.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Haha! Well its only fair, you do your share of tempting ;) These are French so maybe you had some in Paris?

spoonman

Post by spoonman »

Now that you mention it, I think we did have some of those in Paris. When we walked by a bakery it was difficult to resist.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

No sooner did I get the shelving built...

Did it get filled up... :lol:

The door is up...

And the DW has moved in...

Craft room completed! My next updates will be work in the bathroom later this week.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

I've made some good progress on the bathroom. I didn't get a lot done last week after work due to other stuff going on, but I worked a few hours yesterday and today. Yesterday I got all the drain lines cemented together and tested them. They are 100% leak free and are all functioning well. It was tricky because there is only about a 2 inch drop from the tub to the stack outlet and I needed to maneuver around existing piping. I also got the sink drain hooked up. Today/tonight I got much of the framing around the tub completed, there is still some to finish, although I now have a great start. It is 100% plumb along with the tub itself even after sitting for a month. I don't think I've ever gotten anything as plumb as that framing. :lol: I really took my time and did it right. The framing near the stack was very tricky due to all the piping. I need to notch several of the boards. We are building the wall so that there will be a strip of bull nose tiling going down the corner of the wall and front of the tub frame.

Back in January when I started messing with the drain I managed to snap one of the pneumatic tube elbows completely in half. This was in a spot where I would have had to completely rip out the jet and probably replace it somehow. Needless to say I was pissed. :evil: However, doing a bit of research I discovered a wonder product called plast-aid. This product saved my butt! Our new jaccuzzi was rendered useless with that snapped part, but tonight I used plast-aid to fixed it. It chemically bonded the parts together and is significantly harder than the original plastic. It's amazing.

Here's a photo of it running tonight. I filled it with up a hose. I told the DW that I'd have the tub installed for her by Valentine's day. Well here it is honey! There were two junctions near the compressor that were leaking. One was just loose, the other needed pipe dope. I fixed those and ran it for about 20 minutes. No leaks after that!

Next up will be completing the framing and then putting in the water lines. After that I can start putting up drywall and cement board.