Egg's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Egg

Re: Egg's journal

Post by Egg »

Quite an unusual month for us. We moved house for the new job, which means we'll be burning through an extra almost £1k per month in rent on the new place, and of course there were various moving costs (around £400 to shift our stuff - I hired a van and drove it myself but spent quite a lot on fuel and a bit on motorway coffee) and a deposit to put down (a little over £1k).

Hope to claw some of the monthly cost back by renting out the old house (would rent for around £750-800pcm) but will really feel the pain of a 40% marginal income tax rate as/when that happens.

In the short term, this promotion will be cashflow negative to the tune of a few hundred pounds per month, but is already roughly neutral for net worth when including higher pension contributions and student loan repayment, and will turn cashflow positive if we can get the old house rented in, say, 2 months' time.

So in short, we've stood roughly still on finances this month.

There is plenty to be happy about though. The new neighbourhood feels much nicer than the old one - in particular we're close to parks and stuff, and the air quality is much better. We also have a bit more space - around 950 square feet - as a slight future proofing against our second baby which we're expecting in December (I don't think I even mentioned this before - it's the pessimist in me that wants to see a pregnancy 'stick' before I let myself get too excited). So yeah, life continues to treat our family well. 🙏

Egg

Re: Egg's journal

Post by Egg »

New job has proven pretty tough so far. I'm learning a lot. Whether or not the stuff I'm learning about is worth knowing is another question, but the feeling of coming to terms with something new and hard (well, hard for me) is one that I enjoy, albeit in a grimly perverse way.

The downside is less time/energy for the family. By the time I get home I'm exhausted, and I know I will likely burn out of I keep this up very long. Of course, I'm an unreliable narrator of my own life - doubly so when I'm being slightly careful about what I write online - but I think I've developed a degree of addiction to the salaryman grind since starting this journal.