Tyler9000's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
classical_Liberal

Re: Tyler9000's Journal

Post by classical_Liberal » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:31 am

Good post, as always, Tyler9000. My internet bromance with your contributions to ERE/Portfolio Charts continues.

A few thoughts. First I think there is a psychological component to our opinions on personal easy vs hard. @Brute alluded to it; memories of past times are often seen through rose colored glasses. This seems to be a relatively universal human condition (remember the good 'ole days). I think back to previous jobs or careers that I've had and remember the "good" parts, but forget the daily grind, high stress, bad schedules, ect. When comparing to my current work, almost all of my old jobs seem better, but objectively that's not true at all. Each had good and bad, I'm just basing my current opinion on the bad parts of current job I don't like. Once FI is reached and paid employment is optional, any smart ERE'er will eliminate most of the bad from any paid work, making this effect compound. Hence an FI person is more lliekey to view their experience as "easy mode".

Secondly, @Jacob has made the case here and before that class differences are huge, even within the same general culture. If one ranks class in the US along the lines of; lowest 10% generationally impoverish, then lower-lower, upper-lower, etc. I've had the opportunity to live as or significantly mingle with the classes from lower-lower up to lower-upper class. There are indeed massive differences in thought. However, I do not view my personal movement between classes going from hard to easy. Rather, the insight gained from understanding how each class thinks has moved the lever from harder to easier. Each class has applied concepts that can be woven together into an ERE framework, although I can not speak for the lowest or highest classes as I've not had the exposure to living as or mingling with either.

Lastly, exposure to ideas or concepts in a framework that is understandable for the individual, at the right time in life, makes a huge difference between easy/hard. Tyler9000's first boss is an example of this. Although not fully understanding at the time, Tyler9000 was new to his work with "teachable moments" in that situation. He had intellect to inquire and understand, and had been/eventually did become exposed to enough external ideas with variance from the upper middle-class US left coast to make ERE work. The higher ones intellect, the better chance one is able to understand concepts when presented. Similarly, the more exposure to varying ideas, the better chance of picking up on concepts to integrate to ERE. These two factors have a huge bearing on easy vs hard, although certainly not as much as the random chance of being born in a stable, western, capitalist geographic region.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:28 pm

New Views

So the bad news is that my previously described elderly cat situation worked itself out naturally. There was no way around the temporary sadness, but 16 years is a very good run and it was her time. But the good news is that with that burden lifted, our self-imposed hiatus on revisiting our living situation is gone as well. Long story short, we plan to finally give into our long-running fantasy of giving city living a try.

I always thought that making a final decision on the move would take a lot of time since we’re both very deliberate in our decision making, but apparently we’ve talked about it long enough (it's hard to believe I wrote about it almost a year ago) that everything came together very quickly and now we’re in a whirlwind of activity. Our move date is a little over a week away and our house will go on the market shortly after that, so it’s going to be a very busy month.

Luckily I have plenty of energy as I’m pretty stoked about the whole thing. The apartment we found is in perhaps the prime location in the entire city with a walkscore of 93 and within a stone’s throw of just about everything you could ask for – central library, grocery store, park, lake, food, live music, you name it. The place is very nice, and to top it all off the view from the balcony is killer and simply makes me happy every time I see it. It’s probably the first time in my life that I’ve prioritized everyday lifestyle over practicality and commute in a housing decision, and it’s invigorating.

Of course that type of living situation comes with a steep price, and I have to admit that the idea of forking over so much in rent was probably the biggest stumbling block mentally after working for so many years to minimize expenses. But that’s where the job comes in. I’ve run the numbers, and my part-time work income should be just enough to support our new regular expenses making us the most relaxed paycheck-to-paycheck earners in the building. ;) Having such a luxurious life by almost any standard covered by working only three days a week while our FIRE-level nest egg continues to grow untouched except for occasional beer money is a pretty amazing setup. And even in the off chance that I stop working again, the cost isn’t high enough to panic and by renting we retain all flexibility to adjust as needed.

As DW and I discussed over a beer after spending all day recently enjoying everything downtown has to offer – if not now, then when? It’s definitely not your typical ERE living arrangement, but living with an ERE mindset for so long has opened up the opportunity space so wide that I’m excited to see where it leads.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:29 am

Post a picture of the view!
No pics, no likes. This is how the world works today dudeski!
I'm glad you're doing what you want, not what you feel compelled to do.

And since you've been flexing your self-sufficiency muscles for so long: if something comes up, you'll probably just move again. It's not like your job income depends on where you live.

Congratulations.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:45 am

FBeyer wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:29 am
Post a picture of the view!
Unfortunately there are enough recognizable landmarks that posting a picture would likely count as self-doxxing my home address. But imagine the most picturesque high-rise city view you can think of, and it probably isn't too far off.

Considering what other comparable rentals are going for, I do feel like we got a pretty nice bang for our buck. And you're right -- if that ever changes we can always move. As much as I thought I'd prefer home ownership in the long run, right now the flexibility of a rental seems a lot more empowering. But I reserve the right to change my mind again later. ;)

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:43 pm

I'm sorry about your cat but I'm glad you're taking the opportunity to try something new. I hope you enjoy it.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:01 pm

You'll really enjoy living downtown! Admittedly, I tend to live in the more sketchy areas of smaller cities, not a high roller like yourself. Still, I find there's nothing like the ability to get up from your chair, walk a few blocks to something interesting almost any time of day. Urban living interspersed with periods BFE camping give me a perfect balance. Death to suburban drudgery!

Congrats!

Desert

Post by Desert » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:12 am

Tyler, congrats on the new place! Strangely enough, we also are somewhat tied down by a soon-to-be 16 year old cat. They grow up so fast, he'll be driving soon. :) But seriously, congrats on the new place.