Last Digit Of Pi

Where are you and where are you going?
daylen

Re: Last Digit Of Pi

Post by daylen »

Interesting journal! It is a shame though, you do not exist....there is no last digit of an irrational number...

LastDigitOfPi

Post by LastDigitOfPi »

A Funny Observation in Two Photos

My roommate came up with this.

Early kitchen defense warning system acquires target (what you don’t usually see as you approach the kitchen) …

Intercept! (what you almost always see when you look down in the kitchen) …

Now you may understand why I am failing at my fourth goal for 2016. Or maybe not.

Godspeed John Glenn

During the 90’s I was very fortunate to become associated with my all-time favorite childhood group of heroes: the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo program astronauts. At least once a year we would meet and discuss both research and fundraising for the support of the most promising up and coming STEM research students who met certain criteria. They were all very impressive individuals but Alan Shepard, John Glenn, Buzz Aldrin, James Lovell and Walter Cunningham stick out in my memory as the most fun and inspiring to work with. In particular I was amazed by how sharp and insightful John Glenn was in so many different areas of science and technology, even well into his eighties. He remained a larger than life figure to me throughout the time that I knew him. The world seems a little emptier and dimmer with his passing Thursday.

A very old picture of me with all of the then living Mercury 7 (and Betty Grissom and Bobbie Slayton). Also pictured are Gemini, Apollo and Shuttle Astronauts. Fun fact: 33% of the people who have walked on the Moon are in this photo.

Back Row (Left to right): Charles Duke, Edgar Mitchell, Gordon Cooper, Buzz Aldrin, Mike Mullane
Middle Row: Scott Carpenter, Betty Grissom (widow of Gus Grissom), Alan Shepard, John Glenn, Bobbie Slayton (widow of Deke Slayton), Wally Schirra.

My Circles Live In The Real World of Curved Space-Time You Euclid Loving Platonists (Lol) …
Daylen wrote:
Interesting journal! It is a shame though, you do not exist....there is no last digit of an irrational number...

https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index. ... _Pi_Equals

Work Update

Ugh, I was told by a colleague that several people were surprised that I turned down the nomination for the award I mentioned last month. Supposedly I was a “shoe in” and it came with a 10k prize. Oh well, maybe I can find another way to dazzle the right people next year. I hope I didn’t offend the person(s) who nominated me.

I was also informed that the president (no, not POTUS, note the lower case “p”) takes a particular interest in one of my projects and that he references it quite often. I really hope it wasn’t he who had me nominated. If only I had leadership aspirations. Fortunately the Gervais principle does not seem to apply (or does that simply mean I am some strange ‘clueless loser’ hybrid?).

Roommate Update

Well my new roommate (roommate 2) is an interesting individual. In many good ways he is the opposite of the roommate who left after 30 months. He does possess some quirks you might expect of a pre-first big hit Hollywood actor / Second City trouper / SNL hopeful. But these are mostly neutral (like constantly taking selfies and making videos and ask our opinion) or even slightly positive (he gets only reverse osmosis water stored in BPA free containers for our dogs to drink) but the list is long if somewhat entertaining. In future months I may go into further detail.

Roommate 1 is still at the same job but is very motivated in finding something better. Of course I want this to happen maybe as much as she does, possibly more. She has never asked for any help but is genuinely grateful (almost excessively so) for my financial and emotional support in some critical issues she just can’t afford to deal with on her own right now. Between helping with necessary medical bills for her and her dog and covering groceries and doggie medicine and supplies I spent about 1500. It is with a lot of hesitation that I share this as I know on the face of it this sounds like manipulation and/or deception could be involved but all I want to say for now is that I would do this for my dog, my family and even some of my close friends because their well-being is very important to me. If tomorrow she found a great job opportunity on the other side of the country I would tell her to take it even though I would be very sad to see them leave. The only kind of repayment I want is to see her and her dog do well.

Can We Decrease The Suck In A Trump Led World?

OK, I really REALLY hope to be proven spectacularly wrong on this but I think the “suck” in the US and the world is going to increase dramatically over the next four years and possibly into the indefinite future. Not that Hillary or Bernie or Johnson or Stein would have been able to deliver us into a Utopian paradise for all sentient beings but I think that running this country like a “winning” megacorp will only compound most of the issues that lead to so much unnecessary suffering in the first place. Unfortunately it seems that many of his appointees are either completely blind or indifferent to the problems looming over people, animals and the environment or they see the suck in the world as a productive asset. It certainly makes it harder for those who cannot help but care about the well-being of the people and animals that make this planet the unique and special place that it is. Probably for the foreseeable future it will be necessary to just save the starfish that you can.

2016 Goals

1) Successfully completed. NRA 475k, LNW 745k.

2) Successfully completed. Have not yet started on 2014 tax returns.

3) On track for personal record of annual charitable giving by December. Giving Tuesday gave a big boost. A donation to the Astronaut Scholarship Foundation in John Glenn’s memory will as well.

4) A slight setback in November but I think we can recover in December to get to a lower weight than the end of October. The original goal has failed spectacularly but I have learned a lot about myself and my limitations in implementing long term goals for my beloved canine because I can’t deny her short term happiness. What kind of a “parent” am I?

5) Failed to set appointment with ophthalmologist and pcp. Still 1 month to go. Odds of failure are about 95%.

November (Non-investment) Income
Net Salary 4530
Roommate Rents 1360
Rental Property 600
Interest 90
Financial Games 100
Side Job 150
***Total: 6830

November Retirement Account Funding
State Defined Contribution 385
457b Plan 200
***Total: 585 (not included in savings rate)

November Expenses
PITI 810 [810]
HOA 195 [195]
Electric 130 [110]
Water-Sewage-Trash 55 [55]
Gas 25 [25]
Car Insurance 80 [80] (prepaid through November)
Internet and Cable 135 [125] (switched to new service)
Dining / Take Out 25 [0]
Groceries 240 [120])
Pet food and expenses (includes vet insurance) 85 [50]
Charities 200 [0]
Gifts (Roommate 1) 1500 [0]
***Total: 3485 [1570] (still helping out roommate 1 and her dog)

Savings Rate
Non-retirement savings: 3345 (49%)

Assets
Liquid Non-Retirement Accounts: 475k (2.2% increase)
Retirement Accounts: 250k (5.5% increase)
RE Values: (182k primary – 102k mortgage) + (38k rental) + (96k family * 0.33) = 150k (1.4% increase)

Networth Values
NW = NRA + RA + NREV = 875k (2.9% increase)
NWxRE = NRA + RA = 725k (3.3% increase)
LNW = NRA + 0.6*RA + 0.8*NREV = 745k (2.6% increase)
LNWxH = NRA + 0.6*RA + 0.8*(NREV - NHVx) = 715k, 719k, 681k (+2.7%, +2.5%, +2.9%) where x=1 is the rental; x=2 is (1/3) of the family house; x=3 is the primary with 102k mortgage
LNWxRE = NRA + 0.6RA = 625k (3.0% increase)

giskard

Post by giskard »

Hey @LastDigitOfPi, I just finished getting up to date with your journal, it was a good read. It sounds like you are doing some really awesome work, and you must truly enjoy it because you appear to be FI from what I can see.

I also wanted to say that you have a very big heart and it seems like some other people have noticed that too... I'm a lot more cold blooded than you and would have brushed off all of these requests for money. Everyone has story and knows precisely to how use it to plead for sympathy, better just not to get caught up in the BS or call them out on it directly so they don't ever try it again.

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

LastDigitOfPi wrote:OK, I really REALLY hope to be proven spectacularly wrong on this but I think the “suck” in the US and the world is going to increase dramatically over the next four years and possibly into the indefinite future. Not that Hillary or Bernie or Johnson or Stein would have been able to deliver us into a Utopian paradise for all sentient beings but I think that running this country like a “winning” megacorp will only compound most of the issues that lead to so much unnecessary suffering in the first place. Unfortunately it seems that many of his appointees are either completely blind or indifferent to the problems looming over people, animals and the environment or they see the suck in the world as a productive asset.
I completely agree, though I could never have worded that last sentence so succinctly.
LastDigitOfPi wrote:Early kitchen defense warning system acquires target (what you don’t usually see as you approach the kitchen) …

Intercept! (what you almost always see when you look down in the kitchen) …

Now you may understand why I am failing at my fourth goal for 2016. Or maybe not.
This had me laughing so hard. I'm very familiar with the deadly weapon of beseeching canine eyes. I don't know where they learn this (oh, wait! I do ;) ), because I'm pretty sure no animal in the wild gets food from its parents by gazing soulfully at them. One helpful tactic I've learned is giving bits of fruit and vegetable as treats. You obviously need to be sure which ones are and aren't okay for dogs (no grapes/raisins), but our dog has learned to love those little sweet colored peppers and melon of any type. Just be aware that a little goes a long way, digestively speaking.

LastDigitOfPi

Post by LastDigitOfPi »

Hi Giskard and Halfmoon, sorry for the delay. I went on a Winter break trip with roommate 1 and all of the dogs. Tomorrow I'll reply and include the year end summary and outlook for 2017. Happy New Year! Hoping that this upcoming orbit around our Sun brings you and yours (and everyone else) many good things.

singvestor

Post by singvestor »

How have you been doing? I miss reading the updates. Hope all is well!

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

Echoing @singvestor here. My very first post was on your journal, and I finally joined after extended lurking just to comment. I'm pretty sure this creates some sort of update obligation on your part! :P :lol: