fuyu's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Chris

Re: fuyu's journal

Post by Chris »

That's excellent news! Always nice to see someone leveraging their FU money (or fuyu money?). It's quite empowering.

How does it feel to be rid of that job for the past few months?

fuyu

Re: fuyu's journal

Post by fuyu »

Overall, each day feels very carefree and wonderfully lacking in urgency. I’m happy that I can hangout with my friends more, that I’m in interested in learning again, that I can start volunteering at cat shelter next month, and that I’m sort of exercising. Unless someone asks, I don't think my accounting job. Brain is cluttered with other stuff.

The first two months I kept going back and forth between thinking that maybe I should have asked to worked part-time instead of quitting and being a zombie that spent too much time sleeping and eating way too much junk food.

The third month, I finally went back sleeping and eating normal amount and feeling that yay, I’m free! And, I started to translate Chinese online novels as a more fun way to learn how to read Chinese than studying through workbooks. I initially started translating the dialogue in a Chinese drama that I really liked but and wanted to talked about with my friends, but they didn’t know Mandarin. Then, I switched to translating Chinese online novels when I lost interest in that drama.

At some point, I noticed that there are translators who earn some money by offering readers advance chapters through Patreon that haven’t been released on their website yet, so I’m trying that right now.

After break is over, instead of applying to accounting jobs, I’m considering apply to a Chinese online novel publisher which is what a lot of fan translators do after translating for a while. Their criteria seems for hiring seems pretty low… I just need to translate one of their novels for a few chapters and show that a lot of people are reading it.