JL's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
thrifty++

Re: JL's journal

Post by thrifty++ »

You so have your recipe for Air BNB sorted out! Looks good.
Exciting about resigning. Have you done it now? What will the next steps be for you? Can I ask what you have gotten your NW to now?

JL13

Post by JL13 »

I will after lunch, yes I'm excited. I was previously planning on doing some nomading - learning some new languages and exploring some low cost countries as airbnb hosts often offer a 30% discount for monthly stays, and travel Visas are usually 90 days, it would be pretty cheap to live in 4 countries per year. My plan is still generally the same, except instead of being a nomad I will keep my current place since Airbnb covers almost all the rent. Keeping a place in the USA will give me more options I think. Maybe I'll even pick up a seasonal job or something if i find something interesting.

I will be going on a long cycle tour in September, and then this winter I think I will go to South America and learn to surf and become fluent in Spanish.

My NW is now around $190k invested plus about $10k in cash and HSA. Plus maybe $3,000 worth of airline miles and vouchers.

With these numbers, I'm sure I will need to earn some more money or be very diligent with my spending. I'm kind of 'over' office work though. I might do some more airbnb-type of activities. I'm thinking about acquiring a car or two to rent out on turo.com.

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

Wow your are truly in an awesome spot at the moment. I am a bit behind you. Might be where you are in about a year.
I am interested in watching how Airbnb has gone for you. I was going to do it myself but became demotivated with it where I am. I am not sure the arbitrage is as good in the super expensive city I am in. So I have just a roommate. But I might try airbnb next time.
Is your landlord ok with you airbnbing the whole place while you are travelling ?

JL13

Post by JL13 »

My landlord doesn't really care he just wants a low-maintenance tenant. I don't think I ever mentioned to him when I took in roommates so I didn't say anything about the airbnb. I'm not airbnbing the entire place - just the space room. I had a roommate for a long time and I didn't try Airbnb until he left, you might give it a try when your roommate leaves? My success might just be a combination of factors: below market rent and proximity to university and hospital.

If I rented a place at retail in the middle of the city, I don't think I could cover 100% of rent.

Eureka

Post by Eureka »

JL13 wrote: Turning in my notice at work tomorrow :D
Congratulations!

(And hoping I will soon be able to write the same.)

Matty

Post by Matty »

Hey JL, thanks for the journal so far and congrats on the resignation! It’s helpful to see others on the semi-ERE path. My plan is pretty similar. It appears our interests are similar too: bike touring and surfing!

If you’re ever looking for a spot to surf over the European winter, from my research Taghazout, Morocco seemed to be a good place to spend a few months.

I look forward to following your semi-ERE journey!

JL13

Post by JL13 »

Well I've been unemployed/semi-retired for 3 months now so I suppose an update is in order.

The bike tour was a smashing success, 2,000 miles and not even a flat tire!

Since i've returned home from it, I've spent the last 4 weeks just lounging around. It's actually been a bit boring. I haven't had any long-term stay requests on Airbnb, so I'm kind of stuck here playing hotel for the short-termers rather than travel as was the original plan. It feels exactly like summer/winter break when I was in high school, lots of video games! Before I get fat I'm going to have to start one of those DVD exercise deals like P90X or Insanity.

A good friend called me up and referred me to a position that pays $$$$$$ much more than my last job and it's something I've been somewhat interested in learning. I was very resistant at first (c'mon, I've only just STARTED my retirement) but I think it's a smart move to at least try it out, considering that my nest egg is not at the "I never have to worry about money again" level. Oh and on that note: despite being unemployed, my NW has increased over the past 3 months due in part to the Trump rally.

Year end.......Net Worth*
2011...............($8,945) negative
2012................$15,405
2013............... $56,342
2014............... $104,803
2015............... $150,836
Today ..............$207,000

Oh shit, that's another milestone :D

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

Awesome to hit the 200k mark!

Congratulations on early retiring. Must be nice having a few months off. If the new gig sounds great why not try it out, you can be fussy and picky as to whether it meets your needs now that you have FU money.

JL13

Post by JL13 »

Thanks! Yeah FU money is definitely the right descriptor, not quite enough to retire but it's a supercharged "emergency fund" with 10+ years of expenses.

If I don't get the job and then yeah I will head overseas and give up my place here. Not really any reason for me to stick around and Airbnb is getting kind of annoying.

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

Wondering how things are going JL? You seem to have unplugged from the matrix at a lower quantum of money than anyone else I have seen here (except Jacob). Would be so good to hear how things are coming along.