Going blue-collar

Where are you and where are you going?
Aquatter

Post by Aquatter »

Hello. Another poster from Europe here.

I graduated last spring (B.A. in philosophy) and although I enjoyed my degree immensely, I eventually decided to do something practical. Then I discovered ERE and after lots of thought decided to postpone my plans of going to engineering school, and start my ERE journey by getting a blue-collar or grey-collar job. I haven't decided on which trade to choose yet. There are several important criteria I can think of:
1. High salary (this is self-explanatory)

2. Mentally challenging / not boring job (I prefer problem solving and creative work rather than following strict guidelines)

3. Workplace safety (I'd rather retire healthy)
Additionally, it would be nice to:
4. Learn skills that are useful after ER (repairing, building things)

5. Get some "life experience" (like long-distance travel on merchant ships)
I'm leaning towards mechanic or electrician (are they really the most intellectually challenging blue-collar trades?), also investigating other occupations, like kitchen chef (I love to cook!) or carpenter. Any thoughts, suggestions?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Marine diesel mechanic?

photoguy

Post by photoguy »

As per the other threads, I would pick a field that cannot easily be outsourced. I don't know if this is blue collar, but personally I would pick a profession like fire fighter.

Redsted1

Post by Redsted1 »

I agree w/ photoguy. Firefighter or Law Enforcement/Police is an awesome route to go. They also allow for crazy amounts of overtime. I'm very good friends with at least a dozen firefighters and am related to/friends with half a dozen police officers up here in the Seattle area. They all make $80-120k and it only took most of them 4-5 years to get to that pay level. Most of them started out making 55-60k. Your degree will help immensely in getting hired. One caution: these are obviously two careers where you have to REALLY like doing the job, it'd be tough to fake it, and if you don't like it there are lives at stake, including your own. I'm also good friends w/ a plumber/pipe fitter and he makes 80-90k as well.

jeremymday

Post by jeremymday »

Be forewarned... tax cuts mean layoffs even for police officers and firefighters... this isnt the best environment for them right now. at least not in my state...

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

I can see volunteer firefighting. But are full time paid firefighters really necessary?
I've never even seen a structure fire in my entire life.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

Work 20 years and retire with a defined benefit package for the rest of your life. Promotions in pay due to your abilities, not office politics. Health/Dental/Prescription Drugs provided during career and into retirement. Quarter Million Life Insurance for peanuts. Opportunity for world wide travel. Housing allowances, College Education full or 75% paid even after retirement. All fields available, Medical, administrative, IT, Mechanical, you name it. Excellent pay.
Anyone want to guess it?

gibberade

Post by gibberade »

military?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@HSpenecer - You didn't mention it, but I'm guessing it also involves a finite chance of ending up dead or more likely (with all the modern medical technology) maimed.
@all - Personally, I'd go with firefighter. Being a police officer likely involves dealing with potential criminals all day long. I could imagine how one might end up somewhat jaded/burned out on humanity that way.

Sven

Post by Sven »

I am not sure from where in Europe you are exactly, but maybe you can look into the dredging industry. The bigger groups (DEME/Jan De Nul/..) also do projects all over the world (creating/enhancing islands/harbors/..) and salary is quite good. 'Disadvantage' is that you are not able to come back every weekend if you are based somewhere at the other side of the world! But you will probably need some additional education for that. :-s

firefighter

Post by firefighter »

Lots of comments here-
As to the OP's question- From my personal experience, I would say that auto mechanics in a large metro suburb is the best field to go with if you want to start working, earning, and learning right NOW with the goal of collecting a decent amount of money quickly. I'd be interested in a

healthy debate with someone who knows of a consistently

quicker way to ERE. Jacob's suggestion of working on boats

is not bad, either, but there tends to be more of a seasonality and cyclic nature to that industry than there is to autos.
As for the suggestion of fire and police, yes, in some

places, you can make that kind of money in 4-5 yrs, but

it can easily take you 4-5 yrs to get the job now

(it took me 3 yrs during the boom times!), also, and

in the fire case you will likely have to go to paramedic

school on your own (essentially an associate's degree)

to get a job offer. Veteran's preference also helps a lot

for police and fire hiring, but again that would take

a few years to get.
Jeremy is correct, municipal budgets are thin, so hiring

freezes and layoffs are a fact of life everywhere.

Layoffs typically go by seniority, too, so now is a

tough time to be getting into public safety work

in many places.
JohnnyH, this would probably need to be addressed in a

seperate thread, but a lot of the career vs. volunteer

firefighter debate depends on where you live and

population density.
HS is spot on about the military, too. The benefit package

can not be beat. You could actually save up quite a bit

of money in your first enlistment if you go into the

military with a skill (and thus advanced rank). I think

one could easily "semi-retire" and go into the reserves

(by all means, no offense at all to any reservists intended)

if one saved during their first enlistment and then

applied ERE principles for the rest of their 20.

dpmorel

Post by dpmorel »

I googled "highest paying blue collar job". The list was surprising.
http://www.top-colleges.com/blog/2010/0 ... llar-jobs/
In particular I like "Boat Captain".

firefighter

Post by firefighter »

Unfortunately, those jobs are typically very hard to

get without an inside track connection, and usually have long, low paying (or even costly) apprenticeship periods

(as well most of them should have long training periods).
I'm still with turning wrenches. If you hustle, you can have

an ERE nest egg in the same amount of time as it takes

to finish your training for one of those other jobs.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

I went with auto mechanic in the Perfect ERE Life thread because, in addition to the advantages firefighter mentioned, the auto repair trade has
- an immobile workplace which facilitates ERE-style housing and transportation

- capital investments (tools) do not depreciate very much, so those investments can be recouped post-retirement

- a large subset of skills are useful post-retirement

- in particular, diagnosis is mentally stimulating and an essential DIY skill

- opportunities to break in with little formal training

- opportunities to increase wages by taking on management responsibilities or specializing through formal training (I bet the local Porsche wizard does pretty well)

- formal training is widely available and inexpensive
The biggest drawback I can think of is the somewhat hazardous workplace (lifted cars, chemicals, noise), but I think that can be mitigated by being a stickler for safety procedures.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

Auto Mechanic is a good solid trade. Some attention should be paid to the various pay plans. You have independent garages, big box bolt on shops, and dealerships. Dealerships have the best pay and training, but the jobs are somewhat like commission salesmen. Warranty work is flat rate. Other work is profitable as long as you can do the work quickly.

gibberade

Post by gibberade »

I'm just wondering why nobody is suggesting the skilled trades, such as an electrician, plumber or carpenter?

Redsted1

Post by Redsted1 »

@gibberade - I think what is shying people away from recommending the skilled trades is the recent economic downturn. Most of the skilled trades are supported by our growth-based economy. I know of quite a few electricians and carpenters that are scraping for work right now. Also, people above were saying auto mechanic was the best OVERALL, not necessarily the best for you specifically or the best based on one factor (i.e.--pay, difficulty of obtaining a job, etc.). It also has a shorter learning curve and takes significantly less time to gain many of the certifications needed to make "good money".

gibberade

Post by gibberade »

Ahh, true enough.

firefighter

Post by firefighter »

"I'm just wondering why nobody is suggesting the skilled trades, such as an electrician, plumber or carpenter?"
gib-
I could be reading through the internet lines wrong,

but based on that and other comments you've made,

I'd say to investigate the trade/skill that you're interested

in and think you might be passionate about. Money's important, but not as important as doing what you enjoy.
I can attest through personal experience that KW, HS, and

Red are correct about auto mechanics, but my experience doesn't

mean jack if you're not interested in it.
I more or less left it 13 yrs ago (as a full time gig

anyway) for a lower paying job that I enjoyed more

and I haven't looked back since.
Oh, and, stay in school.
-FF

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Yeah, the mechanic suggestion arose from a thought experiment about what a perfect ERE life would look like. IMO mechanic is "best" due to fringe benefits that dovetail nicely with ERE principles, but these are rather fine points that may not be very significant in practice. I expect other skilled trades would work about as well, and if it were me I would weight personal interest and temperament over factors like the depreciation rate of the tools.