A Journey of Mindfulness--the Remaking of Life in Midstream.

Where are you and where are you going?
fingeek

Re: A Journey of Mindfulness--the Remaking of Life in Midstream.

Post by fingeek »

Nice! :)

Aspirant

Post by Aspirant »

Around age 14 I became a diehard Rush fan. One thing that has sort of surprised me is that more diehard Rush fans didn't find their way here given their universe of fans scooped up a lot of introverted, kindhearted, misfits (like me).
Just listened Rush for the past 2 days while staring at excels. The Garden lyrics were resonating heavily when Neil passed. The band has been with my journeys for about 25 years.

Also thanks for the recaps. The wisdom list seemed like a collection of crystallized ideas I am slowly converging towards.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

Congratulations!!!

Quadalupe

Post by Quadalupe »

Congratulations Dave!

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Congrats on giving your verbal notice.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

Just listened Rush for the past 2 days while staring at excels.
Small anecdote: My 70 YO boyfriend was running an errand and stopped by a little shop in his hometown. He had to ring the bell--the proprietor was in the back.

Guy comes out, about DBF's age, with a ponytail--and says "So sorry! I was in the back listening to Rush."

Mike is excited, thinking "hey, this is a cool guy, with a ponytail even, about my age, good taste in tunes--we can maybe be friends." So Mike says "Yeah, I really like Rush, haven't listened to them in a while."

Guy looks a little puzzled and says "Oh, I listen to Rush Limbaugh every day. He's really got his finger on the pulse."

Cue sad trombone sound.... :-)

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Thanks,everyone, for the good wishes and kind words.

7Wb5: Still working out the exact date. I told her (my boss) approximately the end of June unless something urgent arises back home, which would make it sooner. I really want to finish the task I am on now, else I'd just say screw it and give my 2 weeks this coming Monday. Phat stash is making me bold!

Married2aSwabian: In my youth I saw them in ~1984 at Rosemont Horizon and 1981 at Alpine Valley, WI. The latter remains the #1 concert experience of my life. Our seats were not great for seeing, but it was a spot where the sound was nearly perfect. Drums and bass were thunderous but crisp and Lerxst cut through perfectly. Got first row in 82 in Champaign for Signals tour. Those are the only ones in the general vicinity of Chicago (and Champaign is pretty far).

EdithK, that's sort of funny. Back in the early days of the interwebs I'd go searching for news about Rush (band) and all the hits would be for Limbaugh. One of the bigger fan sites out there named themselves "Rush is a Band" because of that.

Married2aSwabian

Post by Married2aSwabian »

Yeah, Alpine Valley was pretty sweet back in the day...$10 lawn seats in the early 80s! Saw everyone from Eric Clapton to the Grateful Dead there. From what I’m told, we had a good time. :)

I’m interested if you can share your plans for the dreaded health insurance for those of us who are “old”, yet not old enough for Medicare. ACA Bronze Plan??

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

ACA was the plan for a long time until I discovered last year that I'd misunderstood the eligibility requirements for my employer's retiree medical insurance plan. It costs a little more per month than an ACA Bronze Plan would cost me but has better out-of-network benefits and a lower OOP max. It's actually the same plan I have now except with an older risk pool.

For the first 18 months I'll continue my current insurance under COBRA, which will cost me a little under $500/month. Then I'll switch to the retiree plan which This year costs a little over $800/month for all the same coverages/limits. Both are HSA-eligible so have some tax avoidance advantages which may be even more important in the near future.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Minor update but one thing that's been asked about a few times I can now be more specific about:

As soon as it arrives I'll start completing/submitting paperwork to change my status effective 8/1. The going in plan will be to take the month of July off as vacation, at least July 2-29. In that setup I'll have flexibility to work some or all of July if desired (unused leave would just get paid out).

Although it's about as un-ere as it gets, I've got a decorating consultant coming over in a couple weeks. She's got a relatively unique niche in that she started out working for a local realtor who has an "instant offer" program (and a small empire of single family rentals) and she would be the one who would go in and essentially honcho the flipping process. She's branched out to work directly with sellers in the pre-listing phase. She'll assess the home, the local (neighborhood-level) market, make recommendations from which we'll work out a plan and budget. She'll then manage all the contracting and when she's/we're satisfied with the work I write a check. Three main reasons I'm opting to try this route: a) the recent work I've contracted out reminded me just how much I despise dealing with most contractors, b) I almost equally hate making decorative/cosmetic/style choices, and c) the elephant in the room is that the kitchen needs nontrivial updating.

The pressure of feeling like 'm trying to juggle more than my ability would dictate as prudent is mounting. I try to keep a vision of my gloriously blissful future at hand, but the wall of things that need attention is getting opaque.