A Journey of Mindfulness--the Remaking of Life in Midstream.

Where are you and where are you going?
7Wannabe5

Re: A Journey of Mindfulness--the Remaking of Life in Midstream.

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:53 am

It's easier to see it in young children or nature. For instance, a rabbit is shy and extroverted.

George the original one

Post by George the original one » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:32 pm

Jason wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:47 am
That's like being a doctor who faints at the site of blood.
You just described an ex-girlfriend of mine.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:34 am

Received some disturbing news regarding life at the end of the road. Last time I was up, two years ago, two of the cabins in the little Common Interest Community changed owners. Both happened to close while I was there but I didn't meet any of the new neighbors. In anticipation of my trip up in about 3 weeks I was talking to one of my "old" neighbors. He enthusiastically reported that with the arrival of a couple younger couples, quite a social life has sprung up in the neighborhood. Card games, cookouts, and group fishing outings. The downside is that it might take some diplomatic maneuvering to keep from being drawn in without being to non-neighborly. The upside is that it sounds like it's a pretty well established group now so my absence won't be disruptive, and it's seemingly all couples which sort of gives me an out.

I'd already started making arrangements to do some undeveloped land scouting while I'm up there. Now I'm motivated to make sure that happens. I'd hate to have to give up my lakeside perch on the edge of the wilderness area, so hopefully my imagination is just getting a little carried away and I won't find the Northwoods' equivalent of Spring Break going on up there. :lol:

bigato

Post by bigato » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:17 pm

I think you may be overestimating the effect, but this is one of the inconvenients of owning real estate indeed. It makes it much harder to move when external conditions change. I'm hoping you're wrong though.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:29 am

bigato, the "lol" at the end was to signify the entry was a bit tongue-in-cheek. There's probably a remote chance I'll find the neighbors and their effect unbearable, but people drawn to the area tend to appreciate the tranquil environment, so I suspect you're right and it won't be anything out of hand.

Jason

Post by Jason » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:31 am

IlliniDave wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:34 am
Card games, cookouts, and group fishing outings.
Obviously, someone from the unlit cigar demographic needs to step in and tell these city types that this is not the place for that type of yankee camping.

GandK

Post by GandK » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:41 am

IlliniDave wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:18 am
... I tend to find friendly relationships in all kinds of ways, it's just a matter of investing a little in some of them so they blossom beyond acquaintanceship. The only real difference compared to past analogous junctures is that I intend to base things more on overlapping interests than in circumstance.

All that has mostly been simmering in the background and this is the first time I've tried to organize the thoughts. More in the foreground events have conspired to make me again keenly aware of my "introvert's curse"--no matter how true my intentions or affections, in time I always wind up hurting people simply because of the deepest wiring of who I am. If I was a stereotype tough guy I suppose I wouldn't care about collateral damage, say the burden is on them to adapt to me, but I'm not really that sort of tough guy, so there it is. Figuring out how to thread the needle will, as always, be a challenging endeavor. And who knows, someday I may get it right! :)
Catching up on journals.

I resonate painfully with the above.

That said: as it relates to retirement and moving and your potentially noisy new neighbors :), is it possible you're ruling out a new potential good friend before they've had a chance? In any group I find myself in there tends to be one - if only one - person I'm glad I met afterward.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:34 pm

For some reason this journal entry reminds me of a flip-book of still images drawn on the bottom corners of a lively novel. Like Dave's new young neighbors will all be on their second marriages and their kids will be the ones getting drunk and playing Eucre by the time he finally moves up there.

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:28 pm

See, my first reaction/thought to the “young couples” invading (can I say invading any more?) the neighborhood and the impact on a confirmed bachelor was “wilderness swinger parties”. So...yeah, I don’t think that has any real relevance to anything, but thought I’d share. Back to regularly scheduled programming...

Jason

Post by Jason » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:54 pm

It's like Hemingway meets Blake Edwards. Aging fisherman, reeling in his marlin in solitude has surprise encounter with young ingenue. "The Old Man And The C Cup."