Too Old To Retire "Young"

Where are you and where are you going?
theanimal

Re: Too Old To Retire "Young"

Post by theanimal »

Good for you @EdithKeeler! Sounds like you could have a great year ahead of you if your rental house situation works out.

Its tough making decisions when the future is unknown. But just think how happy you'll be when you are doing whatever you want next year without your job hanging over your head.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

September is right around the corner, I promise. In fact, you'll probably have to give two weeks notice which could be somewhere in August? Good luck!

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Wow, that sounds great EdithKeeler! My thinking lately often seems to go in the direction of taking chances to actually do things I've long thought about. A lot of it is due to midlife crisis-itis. The question du jour I ask myself: if not now, when?

I like your cage analogy. Most of the time I don't feel quite so confined, but sometimes I do feel like a zoo animal pacing back and forth staring through bars. I guess knowing on a deep level that I could spring myself calms me some.

I don't have your courage to walk away from my job. Hats off to you.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

What holds most of us oldsters back from true ERE is "There are things I want" and the price of those wants is less free time.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Do you mean "there are things I want to buy" or just "there are things I want acquire by other means"? Because "true ERE" is recognizing that those two categories have a lot of overlap.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

What holds most of us oldsters back from true ERE is "There are things I want" and the price of those wants is less free time.
I don't think that's it. Well, not in that I want stuff, or fabulous travel, etc.

The thing that I want is, truth be told, a life of relative comfort and minimal problems. So far, having easy access to money, in the form of a decent salary paid in bi-weekly intervals, has provided that. Credit is available, knowing that the checks will be coming and I can pay it off. You can buy your way out of a lot of trouble, whether it's a tooth that needs a root canal, needing a replacement air conditioner in the middle of August in the American South, fixing a bad transmission on the car or suddenly having to fly across country for your father's funeral. Realizing that the funds are finite, and there's not necessarily more coming in behind, especially when you don't have everything set up for a true early retirement, is pretty daunting.

I think what's going on when you're older is that you realize that you have less time to bounce back if things go bad. And the reality is, it's somewhat harder (depending on what you do for a living) to get another position if you decide you want to go back to work. And... I know when I was young, I thought I was invincible! I was confident about everything, and nothing bad was every going to happen to me. The years since have taught me that was not, in fact, the case. I just wish I used that brash confidence I had when I was 25 to do something really risky like starting a business on my own, etc. instead of dating guys that were bad for me and drinking a lot...

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

I don't have your courage to walk away from my job. Hats off to you.
Well, I haven't actually done it yet. Brave words from me, eh? I'll check back in closer to the date.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Thanks for the recipe!

Last edited by jennypenny on Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

Looks perfect, jennypenny!!!!

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

Of course last week I was loftily talking about taking a gap-year; right after that, life hit. Very large unexpected car repair, an unexpected ginormous vet bill for a sick dog-child, I have a big, dead tree limb hanging over the house that needs to be removed ASAP, and I just have been advised I've got some work travel coming up for which I'll need to board my dogs (it ain't cheap...).

I told a friend today that a truly good and helpful reality show might be "Extreme Career Makeover," where they take a person say in their late 40's/early 50's, who's burnt out in their career, and help them figure out how to leverage the skills in their specialized and dead-end job into something in another field. That's one reality show I might volunteer for!!

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

So, last paycheck of the month; time for the financial update. As mentioned in an earlier post, I had several unexpected expenses come up for myself and for family members, so I actually increased my debt slightly this month. It’s a short term issue, but a little discouraging.
Despite the slight increase in debt, my net worth still increased by just under $9000. So, yeah! Thank you S&P 500 and thank you automated savings! I also was fortunate to have a small windfall in my 401(k) this month—I was pleasantly surprised by some extra cash that had been deposited by my employer for a “QNEC.” This was a new one for me, but apparently I was entitled to some matching money in the past that wasn’t credited to me. So yay!! It’s that Monopoly card “Bank Error in Your Favor, collect money and advance to Go!”

I resolved last month that I was going to concentrate much more on health. Over the last month, I’ve done much better in the eating/food department, not so much in the exercise department. Still, I’ve lost about 6 pounds (much needed) so that goes into the “plus” column.

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about health lately--my own, my mother’s, and health in general. My mom is 77, with Parkinson’s and serious arthritis. Parkinson’s is not a lifestyle-type disease, but having an active and healthy lifestyle can be of benefit in dealing with the symptoms and staving off further declines. It’s also not thought to be hereditary, so hopefully it won’t affect me. My mom’s Parkinson’s is very mild right now; so far she has a significant tremor in her dominant hand, but it hasn’t really interfered with most aspects of daily living. The real problem, though, is her arthritis, which prevents her from being more active. Activity would help stave off balance issues and even dementia issues common with Parkinson's. She has terrible arthritis in her hands especially, and she’s had 1 hip replacement due to arthritis and one knee replacement that was probably more trauma related, exacerbated by the arthritis. Her back is terrible—a couple of back surgeries in the 70’s, arthritis—it’s a mess, painful, it affects every aspect of her life, and there’s nothing they can really do about it.

There’s a significant family legacy for me for arthritis—which has hereditary aspects, but is also certainly a lifestyle disease as well. I look at my immediate family, and patterns emerge. My mom, who’s had a pretty sedentary lifestyle—office job, etc. Hers is more affected by some serious injuries that she suffered in the past, but I think it’s highly probable that it wouldn’t be so bad if she’d been more active. She’s also enjoyed the typical American diet of the last 40 years. Her parents also had arthritis. Both of my maternal grandparents’ hands were gnarled from it. Still, both of them lived extremely active lifestyles—worked a farm, worked physical jobs, etc. Both lived to be in their 90’s with no joint replacements, and were actually pretty healthy overall until close to the end.

My dad had arthritis in his back, double knee replacement, and a lot of problems with his hands. He had a sedentary office job, and wasn’t much for a lot of activity—his sports were fishing off the side of a boat (with a cocktail in each hand) or golfing (using a golf cart... with cocktails). He also smoked like a fiend until he was 62. His parents were pretty sedentary. His dad was a desk jockey, too, who died in his early 70’s, and he was a hard-drinkin’, hard smokin’ man. His mom was sedentary as well, with a double hip replacement by 70. My dad died a few months shy of his 80th birthday of cancer, but it was a particular kind not thought to be significantly hereditary.

The point of all this history is to remind myself that I really need to take better care of myself. I think I’m probably genetically programmed to have a longer than average life (two great-grandmothers lived to 100!!), but with some genetic pitfalls, too, that I can have some control over. All of this age stuff looms large as my 50th birthday approaches.... And also I write this to remind myself of the differences between my 2 sets of grandparents—one set had sedentary “urban” lifestyles with lots of dining out, convenience foods, etc. and the other a very physically active “country” lifestyle with tons of simple, fresh, mostly organic and minimally processed fresh foods. And the country grandparents had the better quality lives at the end.

This all comes together, too, in my head as I’ve revamped my budgets and spreadsheets. I’m so GOOD when it comes to a standard retirement. I could not save another dime and retire at 62 on reduced Social Security and be quite comfortable if I happen to live to 100. But there’s a big gap between that retirement, just over 12 years away, and the early retirement (though not early by standards here!) I could have now. I could retire now, but it would be extremely Spartan. Much more Spartan than I would want. I can’t imagine life without a car in the city where I live, and also given that I take my mom to doctor appointments, etc. So more revamping of my spending and investing is needed, as well as maybe a look at my earning.

Anyway... that’s the “official” update this month.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

Like so many Sunday evenings, I'm sitting here dreading to go to work tomorrow. The weather this weekend was perfect and I spent a lot of time outside and with family. As usual, didn't get chores done, but that's OK.

Like most Sundays, I'm also mentally going through what my week looks like. Thinking about those files I need to work on that are problems, thinking about the people I need to talk to who are more than likely going to push back on one issue or another.

I am really MUCH happier when I'm not at my job. I've completely lost all interest in it. I find it tedious and negative--I pretty much only talk to people when there's a problem of some sort.

The thing is, I like people. I'm an extravert, and I spent a lot of time at the park this weekend having conversations with people I just met or casual acquaintances, along with a few friends. Conversation ranged from serious to inane, and included science and religion and even some politics. I love that. I also was outside, got a little exercise walking my dogs around, even worked in the yard a bit.

The more I think about this, the more I think I don't necessarily want to not work. I like aspects of work. But the problem is the nature of my job. I'm just so tired of always dealing with this negative stuff, all the time.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

Had a great day yesterday. Spent much of the day "piddling." I did some household stuff, cooked--a lot--took the dogs out for long hike, spent some time just "visiting" with my mom, spent a bit of time on hobbies.. Spent no money, except for ingredients for the cooking.

This is what I envision once I retire, probably with more yard work-- the heat and humidity were terrible yesterday.

Can't wait.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

:-)

I'm also considering whether I can change to a different job (over time). Maybe that's still something for you as well: changing to another job where you also interact with people (hurray!) but without most of the bullshit. Maybe paying a bit less, but making you much happier while you still have to work?

I also spent Saturday in a very nice way, cleaning the house, doing groceries, creating a meal from scratch. It's nice, isn't it?

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

Major drama at my work. A few people laid off, reorganizing, etc. New senior VP bringing in all his own people, effectively demoting many of the people who've been there a long time because, you know, all the existing staff have been doing everything wrong and the new guy has come to save the day.

Such bullshit. Here comes the new boss, same as the old boss.

I think I'm relatively safe from layoff, etc. as I'm low enough in the pecking order these days, and someone still has to do the actual work. I can keep my head down and just keep on keepin' on until I can't, or I can look for something else, but I would definitely have to move out of state. This presents issues with respect to my elderly mom. I can help her out, but I can't pay for all I'd need to for her to move with me, and moving away presents other problems--getting her help, etc. and there's just not quite enough money, unless I can get a much higher level job, which seems unlikely.

The option, I think, it to just keep on keepin' on. God, I hate to be pushing on age 50 so hard. Years go by, it's going to get harder and harder to get something else, and if the plug gets pulled before I'm ready, I'm screwed. It all ends tomorrow, I could make it work, but not nearly as well as it will in 3-5 more years per my plan.

Someone (who is employed) told me today "Just be glad you have a job." I hear that SO often. "Just be glad you have a job." Are we supposed to bow down and grovel to the corporate gods because they have deigned to provide us this tiny tidbit of livelihood, presumably out of the goodness of their hard little corporate hearts? Every time someone says "Just be glad you have a job," I get so angry. We're not being given a gift when we have a job--we're trading precious hours of our lives, giving them to our employers in return for dollars to buy food, shelter, etc. And it's not freakin' luck that got me my job. It's taken a lot of work over the years getting an education, developing my skills, taking on new challenges, giving up personal things I wanted, and yes, even a little ass kissing to get this job that I'm so "lucky" to have. Nobody randomly called me on the phone one day and told me "you're the lucky winner of this fabulous new job!" Yes, I'm lucky that I've escaped some of the decimations others have suffered at the hands of their employers, but I am not lucky to have a job, any job, so lucky that I have to put up with whatever is dished out.

OK, rant over. Thank goodness I have a long weekend.

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday »

Nothing helpful here just an observation.

Retired Syd used a quote in her blog lately, something like -In Italy they wrench off their car rear view mirror when driving as they are not interested in whatever is behind them only whatever is in the front.

BUT for me incidents just like the one you are going through at your workplace at the moment make me a little sad; that I didn't know about ERE younger and also that I made some of the stupid decisions about finances that I made.

I thank my lucky stars that I know about it now,as you are so correct when you say as we get older it gets way harder to put up with BS in a workplace.Our tolerance levels seem to diminish over time and we start to get angry and resentful.

I am so thankful that I have some kind of plan that will eventually get me out of paid work.

I am so thankful that I can see the absolute necessity of this (most people can't and don't).

And lastly I am so thankful that I have the perseverance and strength of character to implement it.

The ERE forum helps me greatly.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

My way of looking at it is that I do not have an inalienable right to my job, or any job for that matter. So I am grateful that I have it. But I don't twist that gratitude into some sort of dysfunctional groveling at my employer's feet. They are making money off of me, but I make more off of them (roughly speaking, their profit off of my labor is about 22% of what they pay me). They are not the enemy. It's a symbiotic relationship where everyone benefits. I'm good at what I do, but I don't kid myself into thinking that I'm irreplaceable.

But my gratitude is not solely or in the majority directed towards my employer. Some of it is directed inward. That I am where I am reflects a lot of good decisions and hard work on my part. I am grateful towards a long list of teachers and mentors over the years who helped me exploit the various junctures where preparation and opportunity met. I'm grateful for living in a place like the USA where there is a lot of inherent opportunity.

I guess what I'm getting at is that maybe it would be helpful to step back and consider that there is a lot more to a having a job/career than just a dynamic of employee versus boss and/or employee versus coworker. It's generally the sum of our own actions that get us where we are (good and bad).

From what you've said before it sounds like your job provides the opportunity grind it out a few more years and become permanently self sufficient. I'd focus on that. And, if I really felt that I had legitimate grievances with my employer, I'd be spending every free moment outside of work looking for alternate employment that would allow me to achieve the same end. The odds may be reduced at our age, but the odds are exactly 0 if no effort is put forth.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

EdithKeeler wrote:New senior VP bringing in all his own people, effectively demoting many of the people who've been there a long time because, you know, all the existing staff have been doing everything wrong and the new guy has come to save the day.
Surely you know that it's not so much the new boss believes they've been doing it wrong. Rather it's a matter of allegiances, where the new boss can only trust the motives of people the new boss is familiar with.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

So... I guess I was a little angry in my last post. Mostly over it now.

Playing with FireCalc today, running different scenarios. Retiring 5 years is totally do-able; less than 5 years is possible, and that doesn't take into account my rental property. So, feeling really good about this. My on-again, off-again boyfriend is getting ready to re-retire; we were chatting this week about how little it really takes to live. He's the one person is my real (as opposed to online) life who gets it.

End of month round up:
Net worth up some, making a little headway on the debt. A couple large expenses I had to deal with.
Fitness and health continues to be a focus. I've started going to the Y mornings before work. There at 5 AM. It sucks. I don't enjoy it. I've never been one who particularly enjoys exercise for exercise's sake--I'd much rather be hiking or something like that. I hate going to the Y in the evenings--it's FULL of kids, so mornings are better for me. (No, I can't work out at home. I could, of course, but I won't).

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

I just received my county property tax bill today: $480 for the year, down exactly $1 from last year. I got my city property tax bill a few weeks ago: $374 for the year, down about $67 from last year. (This has something to do with some rejiggering of the school system here). I LOVE my low tax bill. The cost to live in my mortgage-free house is currently $1754 a year, or the taxes plus my insurance (which I need to look at repricing. I think I can do better).

I live in a 1952 house with 980 square feet, on a wooded quarter acre lot. My neighborhood is actually pretty nice--I have some elderly neighbors who bought their houses when they were built new; I have a couple of young families who live near me, a couple of single women like myself, etc. My neighbors are quiet, keep their places up nicely, and we're all just friendly enough that if we needed something we could ask, but mostly we just leave each other alone. I actually like my little house, and it's convenient to EVERYTHING. I even have a neighborhood grocery I can walk to, as I did last night to get some potatoes, there's a Chinese restaurant within walking distance, as well as a bank and a "five and dime" store.

My utility bill (water, gas, electric, garbage pick up and some other sundry charges) has not been more than $150 for the month this summer, and I keep the house pretty cool, and I really need better attic insulation. It's LOW in the winter, because I keep the heat low and pile on the sweaters and, well, I live in the south.

I have friends that don't think I live in a very good neighborhood, because the houses aren't new and all my neighbors are not all the same race as me (Did I mention I live in the South?), and my house is small.

I look at my tax bill and laugh. My taxes are crazy low and I'm banking so much money by not having a house payment. You can talk about the "latte factor" and saving on small expenses--and I agree they can add up--but saving on housing, month after month after month has a MUCH greater effect on wealth accumulation. I was talking to my work friend the other day and said I that I should be able to retire in 5 years, but maybe sooner. She was incredulous. (Keep in mind, I'll shortly be 50, so it's not extreme early retirement). Retirement is just a dim dream for her, but she does have a really nice house.... and a big tax bill.