Too Old To Retire "Young"

Where are you and where are you going?
Sclass

Re: Too Old To Retire "Young"

Post by Sclass » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:47 am

Make sure you have 100% legal control over all decisions. Iron clad DPOA.

I talked around things too much with my folks. What I found out is doing things their way consumed me. They always came up with the most selfish answer. It was really hard for me to accept that. It was hard for me to accept that I’m just their tool.

There is no talking around when your future is at stake. I mistakenly thought it was a negotiation. Now I wish I’d just said, this is what I’m going to do, take it or leave it.

My situation is different. There is money. But I’m totally consumed in managing the care my parents way. In some respects dropping Mom off at a Medicaid paid nursing home would have been much easier. But I couldn’t because ...haha...she’s too rich on paper. So I’m left organizing her care as my dad doles out money dollar by dollar.

Dad says “you’re in charge Sclass”. Sure right. Up to the point I stop doing it his way. No institutional care. Home care.

No person wants to go to the old folks home. You have a say in this if the alternative is going to mess up your life. And, I am not going to pretend to know what is going on with you, but from a journal read it looks like moms care, dear BF, moving into TX rental are linked.

Get it sorted out for the future you. Who says your mom has a say in this anyway?

EdithKeeler

September Report

Post by EdithKeeler » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:20 pm

So here we are in October. I have to say, September FLEW by... 2018 is FLYING by. I am tired and need a vacation. Unfortunately I'm about out of vacation time at work and am saving my remaining days for some time at Thanksgiving and any more medical appointments for my mom. I do have a couple of sick days left, and I just may take a "sick of work" day. Ah... to be retired and not have to worry about stuff like that.

It's been a very expensive couple of months, with doing work on the rental house and then the hot water heater in my house "done up and give out." Turns out the space in my attic wouldn't accommodate a regular hot water heater so I had to install a tankless... which are freakin' expensive. So... $10,000 for rental house work, $5800 for a tankless hot water heater, and I'm getting ready to do some bathroom work which HAS to be done, for about another $5000. Meh. I guess the advantage of still working is that I'm not too worried about it. So no vacation time--BOO. Benefits and income--YEAH.

It'll all work out.

My mom is doing somewhat better, with the wound, anyway, so that's good. Every day seems like a new adventure, so one day at a time, and all that jazz. My rental house is close to being rented; we had it priced a bit too high, but now that we've reduced the rental (still a good bit more than what I was getting) I've had three applications, so I anticipate it will be rented soon. The good thing is, I keep the mortgage paid up about 2 months ahead, which gives me some flexibility to skip a payment if I need to. Haven't needed to, which is good.

Compared to end of September of last year, my total assets have increased by $89,000 and my net worth increased by $64,000 (yes, I put some of the repairs on a credit card, which I will pay off shortly... I hope). I'm OK with it. I could quit my job right this minute and be OK financially, thought not quite where I want to be when I do quit--but I'd be OK.

Let's see... had a short story published online. Pretty happy about that. Relationship stuff is OKish for now, I guess. Work is OK, but I'm bored.

So.... keepin' on keepin' on.

FBeyer

Re: September Report

Post by FBeyer » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:19 am

EdithKeeler wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:20 pm
...had a short story published online. Pretty happy about that...
Due to my current most-dominant obsession I'm pretty happy about that too. Good for you!

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:49 am

Due to my current most-dominant obsession I'm pretty happy about that too. Good for you!
Thanks! Writing can sometimes feel lonely and thankless. My recent piece also made the quarterly “editor’s choices” list, so that was cool. Online journal probably 10 people read and no money.... but still cool.

Jason

Post by Jason » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:58 am

Nice job.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:15 pm

EdithKeeler wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:49 am
Thanks! Writing can sometimes feel lonely and thankless. My recent piece also made the quarterly “editor’s choices” list, so that was cool. Online journal probably 10 people read and no money.... but still cool.
I, for one, would love to read it. Care to share, or would you doxx yourself by doing so? Link to the piece in a PM or is that still too doxxing?

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:09 pm

I, for one, would love to read it. Care to share, or would you doxx yourself by doing so? Link to the piece in a PM or is that still too doxxing?
Hoo-boy! You’re probably gonna be sorry you said that!! 😀 I’d love for you to read, and welcome your feedback. I’ll PM you.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:46 pm

Another month that I can’t early retire. I’m so bored in my job. Plenty of work to do, but just tired of doing it.

Not really happy with the stock market, but I know I can ride it out. Probably good I can’t retire anyway, since I can build up more cushion against volatility.

Been spending more money than I’d like, doing stuff to my house, etc. and bought some new clothes and jewelry.

All in all, the last month or so has been very UN-ERE oriented. No problems, but no great progress, either.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:21 pm

How's your mom? Are you feeling bored because things have quieted down on that front? (understandable if caring for her normally consumes a lot of your free time)

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:09 pm

Are you feeling bored because things have quieted down on that front?
Oh, no.... Jobwise, bored. Same work situations, over and over.... doing the same stuff for the last 30 years, really. Tired of the same corporate BS.

Meh. I'm just in a bad mood.

EdithKeeler

What's going on....

Post by EdithKeeler » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:10 pm

So made it to 2019. Not sorry to see 2018 in the rear view.

Like anyone in the market, my end of the year numbers aren't great, but they aren't terrible, either. Well, meaning I can live with them. Gross assets up about $35K; net worth up about $15K, mostly because I ran up some debt toward the end of the year doing repairs on my primary residence as well as my rental. But... house is rented now, generating enough rent to pay the mortgage, the management fees, plus the regular monthly expenses on my primary residence (insurance, taxes, utilities, lawn maintenance). So basically my paychecks just need to go to savings, investing, and getting that debt paid off. AND--I do not regret spending the money every single morning when I take a long hot shower in my nice bathroom! Some things are just worth it.

According to my calculations, if I take the house costs and the rental earnings out of the picture, I'd have about $900 a month JUST on my dividends from my investments. So... housing is "free," and if I retired I'd use the $900 a month to cover food, transportation, vet bills, repairs.... It would be tight--I'm not nearly as frugal nor as handy as Jacob--but it's actually doable. It's nice knowing that, you know? I turn 55 this year, meaning that I can access my 401(k) (which comprises the vast bulk of my investments) without penalty if I leave my employer. I'm not planning to leave, and I wouldn't HAVE to live on just the dividends... but I could. Good to know.

Work is going well; recently I vowed to work at home more, and am doing so today. I actually don't much like working at home--I like the social interaction at work. But I also like the opportunity to get some chores done while I work (laundry day!), spend some time with the dogs, and also not have to deal with work-related drama (that soap opera-y stuff that often happens in an office). I'm shooting for one day a week. So far it's going well.

Speaking of work, I attended a "Happy work anniversary" lunch yesterday for a coworker who's been with the company 15 years. I'll have been with the company 15 years myself later in the year. It's an interesting milestone to reflect on. I never planned out my career, and if I had it to do over again, I'd be a little more mindful about it, but then again, it's been good for me, and maybe not a perfect fit for me, not a terrible fit, either. I get to use my inquisitive skills, my analytical skills and interact with a broad array of people--from the highest of the high to the lowest of low!--and it's not usually dull. But still not something I would have intentionally picked. I sort of ended up doing it "temporarily until something better comes along" and kept getting raises and promotions that enticed me to stay. I really just wish I got more time off. (Hence the working at home more). Probably not a much different trajectory than most people.

But it makes me consider the next 15 years and beyond, and wanting to be a bit more mindful about where I'm going and where I'll end up. I'll probably stay where I am; seems like a pain to change jobs at 54. They like me there, and I like it most of the time OK, and I am paid nicely. Still not sure I'll get promoted later this year, but it seems fairly likely... but I'm not going to plan on it or spend any raises just yet. We'll see how it goes. The one serious question if I'd have to move, and how I'd deal with that. Dunno.

But also thinking about when I retire--whether it's as soon as I'd like--2 years?--or later. I'm attending a happy hour tonight for a coworker whose last day is Friday; she's retiring, at age 65. She's quite vital and I'm sure she'll keep busy; I'd like to quit sooner than that and very likely will. But I want to be busy (on my terms) in retirement, and want to line up my various activities and projects. I read recently that most people who don't volunteer when they are working, but who say they'll volunteer when they retire, generally don't actually volunteer once they have more time. No reasons were given--could be health issues in some cases perhaps--but I'd really like to resume my literacy volunteerism, and some other stuff I'm interested in.

DBF lately has been talking about moving to Mexico. We haven't delved deeply into what that means, but as long as I'm working and have my mom to deal with, that doesn't include me. I think a lot of it is just day dreaming on his part, but it does make me think about where we stand. It just seems like a lot of trouble to have the "we need to talk, where is this relationship going?" talk. Which, if it's a lot of trouble, probably means it's not worth the trouble, if that makes sense.

I'm taking a little vacation on my own this year; I'm looking forward to going to a fiber arts convention thing. Never been to anything like it, and will probably be walking around with some really young and innovative fiber artists as well as a lot of blue-haired old ladies who knit and crochet. I'm oddly looking forward to that little trip.

And.... my short story that was published online in the little non-famous, non-important journal, and then won a non-money, only bragging rights "one of the best in the quarter" mentions, got a "one of the best 35 stories of the year" (also for bragging rights only). Out of a field of over 300. Not exactly a Nebula Award or a Pushcart Prize, but heck, I'll take it. It was a nice email to get on New Years Day. Inspires me to continue writing and submitting. I submitted only 3 stories last year, and two out of the three were published someplace, so that's a better average than a lot of people have.

Fitness-wise--meh. I fell off a ladder (the FIRST rung--doh!) just before Thanksgiving, and though I didn't realize it at the time, I fucked up a disk in my back. I'm finally on the mend now, I think, but am easing back into doing things. Every time I start to feel better, I do something stupid like take the dogs for an overly long walk, or do a two hour water aerobics (which is good when you have a bad back, but maybe not when you really push it for 2 hours, said my back and hip the next day), or try to pick up my mom when she fell... so I'm going do nothing but short slow easy walks until I'm sure everything is back to normal. I absolutely HATE being in pain and walking around like an old woman. Hate it. This incident was a reminder to really focus on fitness and flexibility this year.

So.... starting 2019, life looks pretty good. Hope all is well with everyone reading this journal entry.

Jason

Post by Jason » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:03 pm

When you consider the sheer number of short stories that are written and submitted on-line, to have one published in any journal is an accomplishment. So to have two out of three published and one recognized in a "best" category is quite an achievement and one that you should interpret as encouragement to pursue the craft, as you obviously have talent.

lol@Mexico - Although I imagine it's preferable to Syria.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:08 pm

Congrats on the accolades, and don't downplay them -- most of us can't even drum up good reviews let alone awards or peer recognition. Most excellent. :)

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:28 am

Congrats and well done from me too. :) Keep up the good work, including the (moderate) exercising!

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:07 pm

Thanks, y’all!! I admit, I require a lot of external motivation!

I dug an old novel out this week. I have some new ideas... I love being in that creative “flow” zone.