Too Old To Retire "Young"

Where are you and where are you going?
EdithKeeler

Re: Too Old To Retire "Young"

Post by EdithKeeler »

What was it about this particular wall that made you pick it?
Location, and sturdy—didn’t look likely to buckle before it did some damage

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

Stahlmann wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 8:36 am
IlliniDave wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:37 am
I leave work at 500 and rarely think about it again until I walk through the door on my next workday.

HOW?!??!?!?!
This can be case for me only on weekends if I don't enter "how shitty decisions I've made in my life"-mode.
Judging from the perceived mood of your recent posts I suggest you buy Mindfulness by Williams and Penman. Apply it. Please. Pretty pretty please.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I always used to joke that when I'd had enough I was simply going to step in front of a bus. Then last weekend I tripped while walking through the airport parking lot and fell right in front of a bus, scaring the crap out of me (and the poor driver) and making me think that I need a new plan. :lol:

@EK -- Time of life is probably a big factor here. I've discovered the 50s are hard on women and faltering hormone production can leave one feeling quite empty. I get the sense from other women I've talked to that it happens frequently. Doing things that will raise testosterone is supposed to help (like eating paleo and lifting weights). My doc also suggested boxing and martial arts so I'm hitting the heavy bag more. Who knows if it really works, but I certainly feel better after pounding the heavy bag for a while. The heavy bag followed by yoga works well for me, kind of like I imagine the sauna/cold water thing works for other people.

A occasional glass of red wine works, too. :D

Jason

Post by Jason »

I think about dying all the time but as Woody Allen says, the problem is you're not around for your own death. I know I don't want to be eaten by sharks or drown so I purposefully avoid water. As much as I have enjoyed FFJ's fire fighting thread, I know I don't want to burn to death. I don't think I would have a problem with a plane crash but I just don't fly enough to make it a real possibility. If I had to guess, having serious anger issues and living in New Jersey, I will most likely die in a car crash listening to a Bruce Springsteen song, the thought of which makes me want to kill myself before it actually happens.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

You could make a Kickstarter campaign: Jason out of Jersey and Jersey out of Jason.

Explain that you don't wan to die in a car crash, listening to Bruce Springsteen and you'll be FI and ready to move before the month is over. I am positive that enough people will emphasize.

Jeez, I think that might actually work!
Make it funny enough and people will donate 10$ for the laugh. Hell that one dude actually raised 55K$ to make potato salad, so....
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/za ... ato-salad/

Good luck! Remember to read Infinite Jest.

Jason

Post by Jason »

Born To Retire > Born To Run

EdithKeeler

In which I'm influenced by Jason

Post by EdithKeeler »

Boy, has this Japanese lady lit a fire under my ass.

...I wont go as far to say that I am a hoarder but I now have to admit I have hoarder qualities and this is becoming an emancipating experience. I have to say, there is some magic at work here. Oh, man. I can't believe I just wrote that. I should stick my ballsack in the shredder for saying stupid shit like that.
OK, Jason, you've inspired me. I re-read Kondo and have started on my pile of stuff. I started with the category of "tools." This all started because I had to find a 1/2 wrench to replace a toilet seat (interesting new design) and I took my toolbox out of the closet. No wrench that size there, so I looked in the box with the drill--no wrench there. Then I went to the junk drawer in the kitchen where I found a surprising large assortment of screwdrivers, a small hammer, measuring tape, etc. (But no wrench). So then I looked in the knife drawer, you know, because. Found another screw driver, but no wrench. Double checked the baskets in the bathroom, you know, because. No wrench, but found rose pruners still in the package.

This was when I realized I needed help. Remembered this thread, found my Kondo book and re-read. Am currently going through my meager assortment of tools, screws, etc. Feels good.

I still had to go to hardware store and get the wrench to do the toilet seat, but at least I know where the wrench is right now.

So thanks for getting me going on this. I don't think it's a coincidence, either, that I yelled "Douchbag" at a driver that pulled out in front of me the other day. I'm just sayin'--ripple effect.

Jason

Re: In which I'm influenced by Jason

Post by Jason »

EdithKeeler wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 7:25 pm
I don't think it's a coincidence, either, that I yelled "Douchbag" at a driver that pulled out in front of me the other day. I'm just sayin'--ripple effect.
Welcome, my warrior child.

EdithKeeler

Restaurant Spending update

Post by EdithKeeler »

A few months ago I posted this about my ridiculous restaurant spending:
For the month of January, though, it was only $253. So the average for 2 months is $337 a month, which is still a good bit less than the $535 I averaged last year, so I guess that's progress.
I'm pleased to report my restaurant spending is down to an average of $315.50 for the last 6 months. When I pull out the beach vacation restaurant numbers from April, it's down to $245.50 average. Not down to my goal yet, but I think this is significant progress for me.

I have really focused, especially this last month, on prepping food to take to work and eating meals in. Seems to working, too--I've got a bit more $$ in my pocket AND I've lost 11 pounds.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

Nice! Good job then.
Do you manage to lower your restaurant expenditures by force of will, or have you managed to set up a shopping/batch cooking system that alleviates the need to power through the urge to eat out?

Jason

Post by Jason »

I still struggle with eating out. And it puts my self-loathing in the red zone. It's essentially my dividend income dripping in the wrong direction. I think you are onto something by accomplishing through incremental reduction as opposed to cold turkey.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

Do you manage to lower your restaurant expenditures by force of will, or have you managed to set up a shopping/batch cooking system that alleviates the need to power through the urge to eat out?
I think it’s a combo of planning ahead and just saying no. I’ve started keeping some frozen dinners and canned soup around so I can do the “gah, I’m tired and hungry and don’t feel like cooking so I’ll just stop at... no, wait, you’ve got soup and last week’s meatloaf in the freezer, just eat that.”

I have started being methodical about prepping breakfast. I get less hungry and am way less likely to snack if I have my 2 eggs and turkey sausage in the morning. So I bought some new containers and spend all of 15 minutes on Sunday making breakfast. I used to do more elaborate stuff, but would then stop BC it was too much trouble. Keeping it simple (cook the sausages, portion in containers, scramble 10 eggs, portion in containers) makes me more likely to stick to it, I think. And I don’t mind eating the same stuff every day.

I think I’m just being more mindful about it, making prep work a habit, buying stuff (pre washed greens, single serve yogurts) that makes things easier. (I was doing things like buying the big yogurt and portioning out, which is a little more economical but then I was hunting for containers, etc. so I was less likely to do it. Kind of letting the perfect (all home cooked meals, purchased as cheaply as possible....) be the enemy of the good (occasional prepared food okay if more handy and keeps me on track).

Sort of “Duh!” but it’s working.
I still struggle with eating out. And it puts my self-loathing in the red zone. It's essentially my dividend income dripping in the wrong direction. I think you are onto something by accomplishing through incremental reduction as opposed to cold turkey.
Yeah, I’m taking the “small changes yield big results over time” approach these days, with a lot of my bad habits. Keeping the house tidy, packing food, exercise, decluttering, aspects of my job, even.

I have this tendency for “perfection or nothing.” Sounds weird, I know, but I’ve always had this thing of being only on one side or the other of a spectrum. The house is perfectly clean... or a disaster. I never eat out or always eat out every day. I work out like crazy or lay on the couch. Lately I’m reminding myself that things don’t have to be perfect, it’s okay if they’re just okay. It seems to be working. For the most part.

Jason

Post by Jason »

EdithKeeler wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:12 pm
Lately I’m reminding myself that things don’t have to be perfect, it’s okay if they’re just okay. It seems to be working. For the most part.
It's probably wise to assume that working on things as though they are never going to be perfect is not going to work out perfectly.

SnailMeister4000

Post by SnailMeister4000 »

jennypenny wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 11:19 am
I always used to joke that when I'd had enough I was simply going to step in front of a bus.
I get it was a joke, but I think it's worth pointing out, that that would not be a very nice thing to do. For the bus driver, I mean. Unless you really dislike bus drivers in general or you are pretty sure that the driver of the particular bus in question would enjoy running somone over, I think you should choose a method of offing yourself, that has less potential for negative impact ( :D ) on outsiders.

I mean, you have all that easy acces to firearms in the US, why not make use of it? And even if you lived under the most oppressive regime that doesnt allow you possession of boom sticks, a decent quality rope or belt and an anchor point should be easy to come by...

See here for inspiration: http://lostallhope.com/suicide-methods/ ... al-methods

Okay, for clarification this post is half joking, but also half serious. I think it's everybody's right to end their own life, but be a bit considerate. Don't be an ass, when you check out (unless you really want to make a statement that you shouldn't be missed).

Sorry if that is a bit off topic, and I totally get that it was only a joke, but I felt a need to comment.
Last edited by SnailMeister4000 on Thu May 24, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jason

Post by Jason »

PTSD of subway conductors and bus drivers who have hit suicide victims is well documented. I think its more the sound than anything that haunts them. It's quite the thud. I do think they are entitled to a leave of absence though. I think at very least the person killing themselves should pick an empty bus so people just going about their daily business aren't inconvenienced. jennypenny seems like a considerate person so hopefully she'll amend her exit plans accordingly. For the right price, I'll rent a bus and we can just decide where she wants to step in front of it. That goes for anyone else considering it. Maybe do a group thing if there are others.

I think the worst are building jumpers. You could fall on a person and/or do major damage to a vehicle. Plus that's startling as shit walking down the sidewalk and having a body land in front of you.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

Okay, for clarification this post is half joking, but also half serious. I think it's everybody's right to end their own life, but be a bit considerate. Don't be an ass, when you check out (unless you really want to make a statement that you shouldn't be missed).

Sorry if that is a bit off topic, and I totally get that it was only a joke, but I felt a need to comment.
Years ago I handled a workers comp claim for a guy with some serious mental issues as a result of a guy suiciding on the windshield of his DC Metro train. The train engineer was probably 3 inches away, though separated by glass, when the guy spattered himself on the glass after he jumped off the platform in front of an express train.

EdithKeeler

My Spreadsheet

Post by EdithKeeler »

In February I added a section to my net worth/retirement/everything financial spreadsheet to track my anticipated yearly income at retirement, anticipated monthly income at retirement, and anticipated monthly income taking into account social security. It's fun to figure out what it represents. "Hey, my income will increase by $45/month. That'll pay for my membership at the Y!" "Twenty bucks! Tank of gas!"

EdithKeeler

Let the Kondo-ing begin!

Post by EdithKeeler »

OK, it's already begun and I now have a tidy toolbox. I'm using the long weekend to Get Rid of Things. I've set a goal at 50 items to get rid of by either throwing away, giving away or selling on eBay. I'm concentrating this weekend on throwing and giving--I've got some travel coming up and won't be able to deal with the eBay stuff until I get back.

I'm not really doing it the Kondo way, actually. Right now this is the first pass to get rid of obvious stuff. I may go all-out-Kondo later.

My rules:
1) Obvious trash doesn't count. This is stuff like things in the fridge to be tossed, junk mail, etc.
2) Pairs and sets count as one item. So shoes are 1 item, not two. Dress with a jacket that goes with it--one item.

I'll post here about how it goes.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

I haven't updated about my decluttering efforts, but the short answer is, I'm still working on it. I didn't do the Kondo "take everything out and sort it" thing, but I did make an initial pass through my closets and got rid of 2 lawn bags full of clothes and shoes. I pushed some others over to the side that i wasn't sure about, so they may go in the next round. I kept losing count, actually, but I know I have tossed/passed on/donated more than 100 items to date. Well in excess, actually.

One thing the decluttering is making me think about is what I spend my money on. I'm not a clothes horse/fashionista type person, but I do spend on clothes. I don't feel too badly about that; I have a professional job, I am required to look decent, and as long as I'm working, I'm going to spend there. (My casual clothes are another story: I'm pretty happy in shorts, t-shirts and flip flops in my private time).

I do, however, spend a lot of money on books. I have books everywhere, plus my Kindle is full.... I have too many books. I took some to my storage unit today. These are books that i haven't read or for one reason or another don't want to/can't get rid of. I have and do get rid of/pass on a lot of books when I'm done with them, but there are some I simply can't part with. I have books where my stories appear--those stay forever, even though for some I have multiple copies. And some books I can't let go of: try as I might, I couldn't let go of my well-thumbed copy of "The Scarlet Letter" (ah, memories of high school and college English class....) or "Elmer Gantry." I even have both of those (and many others) on my Kindle, but I'm just not ready to say goodbye to those yet. Someday. I have a lot of books I need to read, and I'm made a deal with myself no more books until I read some of these and clear them out.

I also have a ton of craft stuff. Yarn, yarn, yarn everywhere. I will use it eventually; I'm just in a bit of a crochet slog at the moment. s a Do you know I have 82 crochet hooks? I'm wondering if that's a record. I didn't count my knitting needles, but there are lots of those as well. Other crafty stuff--needlework kits and supplies and patterns--they are taking up a lot of room, but I'm not ready to get of them yet. Two sewing projects are ready to go, and I've vowed to pull those out after my houseguest leaves mid-July. Beading---beads everywhere. I don't know what I'm going to do about those yet. The watercolor set--not ready to give it up. I'll revisit this stuff in 6 months and see what's going on at that point.

So... decluttering. Yeah, it's going OK, and things are happening, but probably a little more slowly than I'd like, but I can't say I had a huge problem to start with. Ok, one room (with the craft supplies) was kind of bad, and it still has room for improvement, but it's certainly not "Hoarders" level, and never will be. While I think in my fantasies somettiimes I'd like to live in the perfect minimalist space https://www.123rf.com/photo_35811667_mi ... ering.html, it's never going to happen. And I'm OK with that.

Kind of like my diet--rather than "diet" I'm concentrating on health, and being kinder and gentler with myself. I set a goal to lose a pound a week this year, and am currently down 23 pounds. (I didn't start until March). It's working--being kind to me, not beating myself up when I don't always make the healthy choice, but getting back on the plan, and making healthy choices to nourish my body rather than lose weight--it's all good. Same thing with my house--keeping the stuff I want to, making sure it's a nice pleasant place for myself and my visitors.

It's all good.

Jason

Post by Jason »

EdithKeeler wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:19 pm
and being kinder and gentler with myself.
After a pregnant pause, my therapist opened our last session with the question "So have you been kind to yourself this week?" I gave him this look as though as he just asked me to hand over my testicles. But upon further thought, I realized that it could be an option that does not require castration. I'm not there yet, but its out there.