Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:43 am
Finally got the 4 in front of my SWR number! :D
Congratulations Star*Bucks! Well done.

May I ask how you calculate it? Do you use:
- actual 12 months trailing expenses or
- actual month * 12 expenses or
- a goal number?
- or ...

Regarding your family visit: Do you have any plans to relocate nearer to your family after you FIRE?

You do very well with your fitness goals. I thought about loosing some weight too. Is monitoring the weight everyday an important success criteria. I listened to a TED-Talk some days ago. It was about changing one's behaviour. One thing was to monitor the positive changes in progress, like in a wall chart or something like that. And I thought about that too, because it works also pretty well for financial goals, e.g. networth. So I thought about monitoring my weight everyday would help me to stay alert and motivated. You agree? Or/And are there other things you learned while improving your fitness in order to stay motivated?

2Birds1Stone

Re: Star*Bucks ERE Journal

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Great month! How tall are you, if you don't mind me asking?

Star*Bucks

Post by Star*Bucks »

September 2018 Update:

Current Assets:
Cash $4,935
Current 401k $421
2nd Job 401k $3,266
IRA $192,592
Roth IRA $7,426
HSA $15,949
Non Retirement Investments $65,040
Home $70,000
Car $13,300

Current Debts:
Credit Card -$630

Prior Months Net Worth $365,671
Current Net Worth $372,299

Net Worth Increase of $6,628

Prior Months SWR 4.922%
Current SWR 4.835%

Finance:

Maxed out my Traditional IRA and I may have to convert it to a Roth later if I make too much money but that’s alright. Switching my withholdings from 6 to zero really killed my net take home pay, but it is necessary.

Fitness:

Lost footing here. Previously I was staying between 208-211 pounds and faithfully keeping track of my macronutrients via an app. Well September was so busy I just didn’t have time to do the right things here and I’m back up to 213 currently. I’m still trying to be healthy. I usually start my day with a NutriBullet smoothie made up of fresh baby spinach that I froze, bag of frozen berries and organic orange juice (everything purchased from Costco)

Fun:

None

Goals for September were:
-Roll over 2nd job 401k, there will still be a 2nd job 401k category because employers changed at my 2nd gig and I’ll be rolling over the prior employers plan to Vanguard: ((All paperwork was done but the 401k provider stated they need up to 3 weeks to process the request, so still waiting))

-Drop weight to below 205 pounds ((Absolute Fail!))

Goals for October:
-Try to make time to exercise, eat right, and bring my weight down

Star*Bucks

Post by Star*Bucks »

2Birds1Stone wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:01 pm
Great month! How tall are you, if you don't mind me asking?
I’m 5’7” and if you’re asking it in reference to my BMI score then even if I hit 180 The BMI scale would categorize me as overweight which is incorrect. BMI doesn’t take into consideration muscle mass which I have a good amount on me. At 180 I have a slim waist, look and feel good. Now I just have to get down to 180 :)

Star*Bucks

Post by Star*Bucks »

wolf wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:04 am
Congratulations Star*Bucks! Well done.

May I ask how you calculate it? Do you use:
- actual 12 months trailing expenses or
- actual month * 12 expenses or
- a goal number?
- or ...

Regarding your family visit: Do you have any plans to relocate nearer to your family after you FIRE?

You do very well with your fitness goals. I thought about loosing some weight too. Is monitoring the weight everyday an important success criteria. I listened to a TED-Talk some days ago. It was about changing one's behaviour. One thing was to monitor the positive changes in progress, like in a wall chart or something like that. And I thought about that too, because it works also pretty well for financial goals, e.g. networth. So I thought about monitoring my weight everyday would help me to stay alert and motivated. You agree? Or/And are there other things you learned while improving your fitness in order to stay motivated?
I have a goal number of 460k which with the 4% Rule would give me the $1,500 per month or 18k per year I need to live. Yes I do plan to move in with family after I get to FI but I won’t technically be living there just holding residence there because I will hopefully be spending most of my time backpacking around the world.

As far as staying motivated for losing weight; tracking my weight daily was motivating and helpful. Just like tracking NetWorth has been helpful to me over the years and as more & more progress was being made I got more & more motivated. My biggest problem is time. I work two jobs and have very little time to go to the gym. Once I am FI I will have all the time in the world to work out eat right etc so I plan to make big strides then, but for now my main goal is to get out of the “obese category” for healths sake not vanity.

Star*Bucks

Post by Star*Bucks »

Q3 2018 Review:

Q3 Progress

July + $12,158
August + $6,696
September + $6,628

Total Q3 Progress $25,482
Total Q1+Q2+Q3 $59,137

Current SWR 4.835%

I completely forgot to complete a 3rd quarter recap. I’m usually pretty good about being on top of that but I’ve been busy. Looks like I’m right on schedule averaging about 80k NetWorth Increase per year or 20k per quarter. Nothing else to add at the moment. See you in a few days when I do my monthly recap for October.

Star*Bucks

Post by Star*Bucks »

October 2018 Update:

Current Assets:
Cash $5,135
Current 401k $443
2nd Job 401k $3,230
IRA $189,323
Roth IRA $6,642
HSA $14,441
Non Retirement Investments $71,153
Home $70,000
Car $13,300

Current Debts:
Credit Card -$1,019

Prior Months Net Worth $372,299
Current Net Worth $372,109

Net Worth Decrease of $109

Prior Months SWR 4.835%
Current SWR 4.838%

Finance:

Thanks to the pull back in the stock market & my mother racking up expensive phone bills while on vacation (I’m paying the bill) I actually had a decrease in NW this month. Pretty sure this has only happened one other month during this long journey of FI. November seems pretty promising since it is a 3 paycheck month.

Flexed my “F You money” muscles this month. Basically my main job told me they needed me to work two weekends this month (All Overtime!) so I accepted and gave my 2nd job notice I wouldn’t be coming in. I informed them with plenty of time as it was Tuesday morning and my shift is only Sat& Sun. I got a ridiculous power hungry email from the owner and a separate one from the manager; who so happens to be the owners younger brother. I chose to not reply until the following day (Wednesday) so I wouldn’t be so pissed at these overbearing guys. I wrote a professional F You email to both of them telling them to find someone else who could dedicate themselves to that job and my main loyalty goes to my main job. I told them I’d stay on board until they found a replacement. Neither of them responded as they realized they are not in the position of power any longer and I didn’t need their paycheck. Being dependent on a job is something I’ve been use to my whole life. I would never put up with that now.

Fitness:

I tried to eat healthy again this month but it’s easier said than done. I’m hovering at about 212 pounds currently. I’m going to 24 hour fitness today to pay my annual membership fee. I hope paying the fee will be motivation to get me back in the gym working out again.

Fun:

I spent the weekend in the Bay for work (training) but I enjoyed every minute of it. Ran into a few old friends and saw my brother. Gotta love the Bay. We were specifically in downtown Oakland and just out of curiosity I looked at the cost of a 547 sq ft studio which was a block from the Oakland office. That tiny studio costs $2,300 a month and then you have to pay all utilities on top of that! No Way!! If I do move back I’m living with my parents or brother.

Goals for October were:
-Try to make time to exercise, eat right, and bring my weight down FAIL

Goals for November:
Just make it to the gym once a week
5 figure NW increase

Star*Bucks

Post by Star*Bucks »

November 2018 Update:

Current Assets:
Cash $7,802
Current 401k $452
2nd Job 401k $543
IRA $192,486
Roth IRA $6,391
HSA $14,658
Non Retirement Investments $75,557
Home $70,000
Car $13,300

Current Debts:
Credit Card -$960

Prior Months Net Worth $372,109
Current Net Worth $380,229

Net Worth Increase of $8,120

Prior Months SWR 4.838%
Current SWR 4.735%

Finance:
It has been a pleasure only working one job. I’ve been working plenty of hours but it’s easier since it’s all at one place. I have a Black Friday Shopping/Wish list on my phone and it’s been there for years! I add to it and take things away as I end up not wanting them anymore or as in the case of Black Friday 2017 I actually bought a item (55” 4k TV) This year I spent roughly $750 on a whole bunch of things that I really wanted for a long time and currently had great sales.

I purchased a GoPro Hero 7 Black which came with a 128gb sd card and a $30 Amazon Gift Card. I got a bundled 50 accessory pack for gopros on Amazon these are knock offs but I’m ok with that. A knock off 3 pack of gopro batteries with a travel charger that can charge all three simultaneously. A jbl flip 4 bluetooth speaker which is small but powerful so when I travel I can have music back in the room. And other smaller items which I believe is great value. I do not plan on buying anything else in December but it will still be an expensive month due to property taxes being owed.

Fitness:
I’ve gained weight, currently at 215 pounds and haven’t hit the gym once.

Fun:
Found a few good things to watch on Netflix. I usually spend lots of time just browsing titles and never watching anything but I started watching the Troy series which got me to watch Troy the movie (with Brad Pitt) and I enjoyed critiquing the differences, it was rather interesting seeing the vastly different depictions of that story. I’ve now started watching the El Chapo Netflix series and so far so good. There still will be nothing to compare to Game of Thrones which I can’t wait to see the Final Season.

Goals for November were:
-Just make it to the gym once a week FAIL
-5 figure NW increase FAIL

Goals for December:
-Do endless Overtime, everything I can possibly do to close the year out strong

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K »

I like reading your journal. I'd be interested to see more personal/health goals stay in focus. Endless overtime seems like a crummy way to end the year. You get a lot of joy from your big paychecks and NW increases, I wonder what you will find enjoyable in retirement. Will you just watch Netflix?

Remember when you said this last year?
The pay would probably suck but if I made $1,500 a month I’d do it in a heartbeat & sell all my shit and move to SE Asia
Do you still feel this way? Why would you want to do this anyway? Or what if money wasn't the issue anymore, then what would you do? I make about this much in China now working 10 hours/week. That's 30 hours/week or 65 days per year (not even including my 3 month holiday for winter/summer vacations) that I have to myself > than a full-time job. Doing something like what I do isn't even the only option, especially for someone in your financial situation.

I think you're starting to come to the end of the accumulation stage. One thing I like to think about, is what if I found out next week that I've a terminal illness and I'll die tomorrow. Would I be satisfied with the life I lived the last year? Did I do enough to bring myself real happiness or was I too focused on the future and sacrificing the present?

Anyways, I don't want to assume too much. I'm really just hoping to provoke some thought that may or may not benefit you. As well serve my own selfish curiosity to some extent. Hope December goes well for you, and you get what you want out of it.

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

Awesome! I like watching your posts and watching your NW grow so quickly. It makes me fantasize about being there at some point

Why no gym though? Im quite exercise obsessed so not exercising makes me feel like i am missing out on drugs I am dependent on.

Star*Bucks

Post by Star*Bucks »

Viktor K wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:21 am
Endless overtime seems like a crummy way to end the year. You get a lot of joy from your big paychecks and NW increases, I wonder what you will find enjoyable in retirement. Will you just watch Netflix?.
Hey Viktor, I actually have many things planned for retirement. I have a Bucket List broken down by Country, State, City (broken down into provinces/neighborhoods etc depending on area) and then under the City there will be everything I want to accomplish in full details. For example restaurants and dishes I specifically want to try, temples I want to visit, UNESCO World Heritage sites I want to see, a language I’d like to learn, specific gifts I’d like to buy from that region for family/friends (like engraved chop sticks when I go to Japan) or a specific time of year to visit like Cherry Blossom Festival season in Japan or Mt Fuji hiking season in Japan. 90% of my Bucket List is Travel or Travel related.

I do indeed get massive joy with each NW spike because it is a means to an end. The last trip I took was 2 years ago for 2 weeks to Thailand. I took my laptop with me but I never removed it from my bag. I hope that answers the Netflix question for you, but to get a little more into that point; you would have a hard time finding me talking about Netflix or any TV shows in the nearly 5 years I’ve been posting on this forum. I watched last month because I no longer was working 100+ hour work weeks between 2 jobs since I quit my 2nd job; so it was a more therapeutic/relaxing thing to sit back and watch those shows in the free time I had.
Viktor K wrote:
Remember when you said this last year?

Do you still feel this way? Why would you want to do this anyway? Or what if money wasn't the issue anymore, then what would you do?
I want to travel & luckily for me the USD is strong and I can Geoarbitrage. If money was not the issue I would be traveling right now. If I could earn some money teaching English online I’d love it but it would have to wait until after I reach my FI numbers, since I’m already in the trenches now earning the most money I’ve ever made in my life. I’m projecting that by the end of December my gross pay for 2018 will be between 135k-140k and that’s for a guy with no college degree. I would hate for something to happen and I had to return and get a job again, there is no guarantee that I could start earning money at the same rate I am now.

Viktor K wrote:
One thing I like to think about, is what if I found out next week that I've a terminal illness and I'll die tomorrow. Would I be satisfied with the life I lived the last year? Did I do enough to bring myself real happiness or was I too focused on the future and sacrificing the present?

I have thought about this and lots of things pop into my head. Like one of my best friends who I tried to talk about FIRE with but he just loves spending money. He makes tons of money as a web Developer & Database Engineer but he is still paycheck to paycheck because he spends money at his whim. His response to me and my FIRE talk was “I’m just gonna work til I die, I love what I do and don’t want to quit” Another friend of mine gets his paycheck and he is broke within 2-3 days because he lives for today. I am and have sacrificed my todays in order to free my future self. This will result in hopefully decades of freedom and personal goals I can accomplish. If I were to die I can be happy to know that my parents who struggled to take care of myself and my siblings while working hard low wage jobs will inherit a large nest egg I left for them. They are living now on very small social security checks and regularly my brother and I give financial assistance. So that is how I cope with the thought of death before being able to enjoy the fruits of my labor. The one thing that really horrifies me is if my family were not good stewards of the money I sacrificed so long to earn. We can all only hope for the best and I hope to live a long fulfilling life but none of us make it out of this reality alive so I can’t worry about the inevitable.

Thanks for taking the time to read my progress. I will continue to post after FIRE and I’m sure it will be more interesting than it is now. If you have any advice on teaching English via Skype I’d love to hear about it but since I don’t speak any other languages I don’t know how viable of a choice that is for me.

Star*Bucks

Post by Star*Bucks »

thrifty++ wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:51 pm
Awesome! I like watching your posts and watching your NW grow so quickly. It makes me fantasize about being there at some point

Why no gym though? Im quite exercise obsessed so not exercising makes me feel like i am missing out on drugs I am dependent on.
You will get there Thrifty! :) Yes, I love exercise too but the schedule sometimes can be a M.F. When I do hit FI I think the first place I will travel to will be Bangkok for many reason but namely I can get a pretty inexpensive condo in a tall beautiful centrally located building with a gym. So the plan will be to wake up and go hit the gym every day. I can stay in Thailand for 90 days as an American without doing any annoying Visa runs and that is a Lifetime for me. (60 day Visa request while still in the US plus a 30 day extension near the end of the 60 days) I can get in shape really quickly when I have the time to workout and eating healthy is easy in Thailand.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Hey Star*Bucks,

I also really enjoy following your journey since over a year ago. We not only share goals but a lack of college degree. My own concerns about being able to jump back into the workforce and earning my current wage are driving me toward an almost identical NW goal as yours.

Recently posting in journal regarding struggles with weight-loss, it would be great to have someone to share accountability with. I'm sitting ~212 lbs today, with a similar goal of <200lbs with ultimately a 180-185 # when I can dedicate much more time in FI to training for MTB, Triathlon, and weightlifting.

Great job on the NW increases! $460k will be here before you know it.

Star*Bucks

Post by Star*Bucks »

2Birds1Stone wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:24 am
Recently posting in journal regarding struggles with weight-loss, it would be great to have someone to share accountability with. I'm sitting ~212 lbs today, with a similar goal of <200lbs with ultimately a 180-185 # when I can dedicate much more time in FI to training for MTB, Triathlon, and weightlifting.

Great job on the NW increases! $460k will be here before you know it.
I hear you on that! Staying in shape and working like a dog is hard to do simultaneously. I think I will get in the best shape of my life in FIRE and I am trying to just do my best until then. Thanks for reading my journal I'm going to check yours out :)

Star*Bucks

Post by Star*Bucks »

December 2018 Update:

Current Assets:
Cash $87,122
Current 401k $408
Former Job 401k $440
IRA $193,089
Roth IRA $5,746
HSA $13,354
Home $70,000
Car $13,300

Current Debts:
Credit Card -$96

Prior Months Net Worth $380,229
Current Net Worth $383,363

Net Worth Increase of $3,134

Prior Months SWR 4.735%
Current SWR 4.696%

Finance:

I did as I said and worked lots of overtime and saved plenty of money but the small investments that I have still in the market tanked so bad that my increase this month was well below where I projected. Also I could not access my former employers 401k account due to website issues so I just put down $100 less than last month (so from 540 to 440) it’s the best guess I can put forward without being able to log in and see my balance.

On a brighter note a guy was removed from the location I work at. He was a real toxic person to work with. He created a lot of problems and made coming to work just that much more difficult. We work at the same location but for different companies since the place I work uses mainly contract workers. Even his co workers can’t stand him. He can’t get re hired at any of the last places he’s worked (that I know of) because he always stirred the pot and on his way out he would always take some sort of legal action whether through the National Labor Relations Board, Labor Commissioners Office, Direct Lawsuit, and I even heard he tried to file a false Workers Comp Claim when he knew he was on his way out the door at a past employer. I was talking to a friend at work asking him what he thought this guy would do now since his company didn’t fire him. Thus taking away his opportunity to file some sort of suit and blow up the bridge with this employer like he’s done with past employers. They actually offered to transfer him to another job site because it’s the main company that wanted him removed. Some people never learn I guess. I’m happy to say most every company I have ever worked for would hire me back and most of them would be very happy to have me come back.

Fitness:

Drinking my Nutri-Bullet shakes every single day. Usually spinach, mixed berries, and OJ; sometimes I’ll put in some ginger too. No gym visit at all this month but I did go on several walks and one of them included some jogging/running. I’m down 2 pounds so currently at 213 down from 215.

Fun:

I went down and visited my family on the one day off I had in December. It was really good to spend time with my niece and nephew as well as everyone else.

Goals for December were:
-Do endless Overtime, everything I can possibly do to close the year out strong

Goals for January:
-Focus on health drink smoothies, go on walks, stretch, etc
-Lots of O.T. Shoot for a 5 figure NW Increase

Star*Bucks

Post by Star*Bucks »

Q4 2018 & Year End Review/Wrap Up:

Q4 Progress

October - $109
November + $8,120
December + $3,134

Total Q4 Progress $11,145
Total 2018 Progress $70,282

Current SWR 4.696%

Historical Annual Progress:
2014’s NetWorth Increase $24,786
2015’s NetWorth Increase $43,912
2016’s NetWorth Increase $76,342
2017’s NetWorth Increase $68,122
2018’s NetWorth Increase $70,282

My SWR in December 2017 was 5.75% and in one year I dropped it down by over 1% to 4.696% I hope to either meet or beat that number so I can be around 3.5% by December 2019 and then when I begin selling everything off, if I do not get the expected value from the sales; the buffer in the SWR will still keep me in the safe zone. The selling off of everything should keep me here in the states at least 6 months. That time will give me lots of leeway to fix up and prep the house for sale, sell/donate all furniture and belongings, and spend a few months with family and friends before going on my round the world journey.

Goals for 2019 will be:

Acquire quality rewards card bonus offers using spending that I already do. Rack up those points for the next 18 months to provide even more of a buffer for the travel budget.

Lose Weight and be serious about health. I plan to go get a physical in the first couple months of 2019

Star*Bucks

Post by Star*Bucks »

January 2019 Update:

Current Assets:
Cash $93,535
Current 401k $442
Former Job 401k $531
IRA $194,521
Roth IRA $6,316
HSA $14,655
Home $70,000
Car $13,300

Current Debts:
Credit Card -$250

Prior Months Net Worth $383,363
Current Net Worth $393,050

Net Worth Increase of $9,687

Prior Months SWR 4.696%
Current SWR 4.58%

Finance:
Almost had a 5 figure NW increase! I purchased a $70 air fryer from Costco and I’m really liking it so far. Getting my paperwork all together to do my taxes and I am pretty worried about how much I will owe. I’m estimating about 7k-8k but who knows for sure until I actually file. I worked everyday so far; no days off for 2019 and none in sight currently.

Fitness:
I’ve done several long walks/jogs longest one being 4.8 miles long. I haven’t lost any weight and it’s getting pretty frustrating. I’m considering doing a juice fast/cleanse of some sort to help get my weight down and it’s generally healthy to do a cleanse every so often.

Fun:
Besides playing with my new air fryer not much to report here.

Goals for January were:
-Focus on health drink smoothies, go on walks, stretch, etc
-Lots of O.T. Shoot for a 5 figure NW Increase

Goals for February:
-Start a cleanse of some sort
-Start working on my tax return
-Make an appointment for a physical

Star*Bucks

Post by Star*Bucks »

February 2019 Update:

Current Assets:
Cash $97,408
401k $1,210
IRA $189,522
Roth IRA $11,946
HSA $15,319
Home $70,000
Car $13,300

Current Debts:
Credit Card -$2,450

Prior Months Net Worth $393,050
Current Net Worth $396,255

Net Worth Increase of $3,205

Prior Months SWR 4.58%
Current SWR 4.543%

Finance:
For the sake of simplicity I am starting to add up like kind money. So I’ve added up all three of my 401k accounts and placed the cumulative number in the 401k category; and likewise for the other categories. Not a big jump in Net Worth but that is usually the case in the first 4 months of each year for me. State & Federal Taxes, Property Taxes, biannual auto insurance premium, car registration, etc all are due in the first 4 months annually.

Finished my taxes and between State & Fed I owe nearly 8k, but I was expecting it. I claimed 6 most of the year and it worked out fine with my previous employer because I was able to contribute 25% to a 401k, but my current employer doesn’t have it set up for us to contribute. Trying to make lemonade out of these lemons I decided to apply for 2 Travel Rewards Credit Cards with great sign up bonuses. I was approved for both and already received one and placed the minimum spend on that card required to get the bonus points. When the 2nd card arrives I will pay what’s remaining of my taxes on it which will get me to the minimum spend for that. The points I will earn will be worth close to 2k and the cards have excellent perks like lounge access with free food and drinks at most airports, and Global Entry which I’ve already applied for and was already reimbursed the $100 charge. I pay my card balances in full so these rewards are going to be a game changer for me; especially since I’m coming from a basic 1% cash back card.

I returned the Memory Foam Mattress (Bed In A Box) I had purchased from Costco. The thing lasted about 5 months before having a huge sag in the middle. Rented a U-Haul Van in order to get the old Mattress to Costco and got a refund. I purchased a Nectar Memory Foam Mattress at almost twice the cost of the Costco Mattress. It has a 1 year warranty which states they will give a 100% refund and pick up the Mattress for free if I’m not satisfied. The first week on the mattress was really uncomfortable but I think my body was just getting adjusted. I am now finding the bed to be very comfortable and I hope it lasts.

I have started with my CD Ladder. I’m choosing to invest in short term CD specials at least until I see a market crash and I feel we are close to a bottom. Until then I will be happy collecting the best CD interest rates I can get my hands on.

Fitness:

I set up a doctors appointment for the pain I was experiencing in my right arm. My doctor was not available so I just saw whomever was there and the doctor gave me some pain meds (which I didn’t and never will take) and some creme to rub on the area. I stopped using the creme after the 4th day because it made me itch and didn’t feel like it was helping. I ended up just purchasing these compression sleeves and wearing them while at work and they feel like they are helping a bit. I’ve got an appointment booked with my doctor in April for a full physical so I will speak with him about my arm if it is still bothering me then. Moving around a huge Queen sized 14” Memory Foam Mattress all by myself I’m sure didn’t help the situation.

I got my blood work back and everything looks good except for my LDL cholesterol is a bit high. I am now changing my diet and I will exercise a lot more and I hope that will get the cholesterol down.

Fun:
None

Other:
Went to the DMV and requested a Real ID. I should be receiving it shortly.
Haven’t had a day off in 2019 so far.

A co-worker of mine commented on how old my wallet looked. I asked if he was serious because I liked my wallet. He is a goofy guy in general but him saying that got me to thinking that I’ve had this wallet for a very long time. It is a bifold leather wallet and is bulky due to it being leather and the bifold design gives a small possibility of a card falling out (which has never happened) and for dust and debris to enter the card slot area wearing down my cards prematurely. I went online and searched for a travel centric wallet with a zipper and I found one which looks great and was affordable. It should be arriving later today. It is a low profile with very little bulk due to lite materials it was made with. Zippered so no cards can slide out and no debris can enter, and there is a id window on the side to easily show my id whenever necessary. It took a long time to find this wallet through all the trash that’s out there. As a person that carries my wallet in my front pocket I am very excited to get this smaller wallet.

Goals for February were:
-Start a cleanse of some sort Done!
-Start working on my tax return Done!
-Make an appointment for a physical Done

Goals for March:
-Eat Healthy
-Exercise
-Do my parents taxes

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

Fuuuuk you have so much money now. Well on your way.

Star*Bucks

Post by Star*Bucks »

March 2019 Update:

Current Assets:
Cash $101,040
401k $1,358
IRA $190,345
Roth IRA $12,203
HSA $15,618
Home $70,000
Car $13,300

Current Debts:
Credit Card -$2398

Prior Months Net Worth $396,255
Current Net Worth $401,466

Net Worth Increase of $5,211

Prior Months SWR 4.543%
Current SWR 4.49%

Finance:
Well, I cracked the 400k line but this will not be a celebratory month. I made the biggest mistake of my life. I rolled over my IRA twice within a 12 month period which is against tax law/rule. I never knew there was such a rule and I don’t think it should even exist! The banks/brokerages can transfer the IRA’s (MY MONEY) between one another an unlimited amount of times but me trying to be a good steward of my life savings and moving the money to get 1% more interest is the big problem for the IRS. In the big scheme of things I would have been better off never contributing to my 401k’s/IRA’s in the first place because now that I’m making so much more money the amount in taxes I will pay is at the highest bracket, I also have a 10% “early withdrawal” penalty, and a possible 6% penalty for some other bullshit. This law was passed in 2015 which is why I didn’t know anything about it. I’ve contacted a CPA and just waiting to hear back from him. I can literally lose more than 50% of my IRA.

I had to calm down when I found out about this rule because I already have high blood pressure. I was ready to just sell my house, change state residency to Texas or Washington State, and then look for an overseas job. That way I wouldn’t be paying any property taxes, state taxes, and to my understanding if you stay out of the country for more than 11 months of each year you could earn nearly 100k tax free. I was ready to say F It and just leave. It’s been a couple of weeks since I found out about that tax law so I’ve meditated and finally was able to sleep after a while. I may still follow that plan I laid out but not too soon. I don’t want to make hasty decisions.

On another note I did my parents tax returns using Credit Karma Tax because the software is free and good. When I logged i to my moms CK account I saw that she had a balance on her Credit Card of just over 2k. I went through this with her last year and told her because of their low income on such a small social security check they can not afford to pay interest. I sent her a check for $2,500 to pay off the balance on the card and asked her to reduce her expenses since they still have cable tv etc.

As if this month wasn’t bad enough I got a $5 “dormant” fee from my business bank account which I never use because I’ve been too busy doing a million hours at work to actually find clients for my business. I just got home from closing the account.

Fitness:
Just some walking

Fun:
None besides a little bit of Netflix

Goals for March were:
-Eat Healthy DONE!!
-Exercise Lots of Walking DONE!
-Do my parents taxes DONE!

Goals for April:
-Get my taxes straightened out