Car $13,300

Current Debts:
Credit Card -$146

Prior Months Net Worth $307,105
Current Net Worth $313,162

Net Worth Increase of $6,057

Prior Months SWR 5.86%
Current SWR 5.75%

It was a good month but I was expecting so much more. It’s end of year so all my dividends with LT & ST Cap Gains were paid but didn’t really effect my NW as I would have hoped. I’ve worked tons of overtime in November & December and it looks like all the projects will be accomplished and that overtime will be minimized or completely ended in January. Seems like things always work out for me in the end because the company I had worked part time for a year back contacted me and said they need me to help out. Of course I accepted and now I can continue to stay busy earning money (and having no life) to reach my goal. I start with them on January 3rd and can’t wait to see two paychecks coming in again.

Other than that it’s been the same ol’ same ol’ over here. I paid my property taxes at the beginning of December and ate out a lot (fast food) due to working so much OT not having time to cook healthy cheap meals. Here’s to doing better in 2018 :)

Goals for January:
-Keep working all overtime possible
-Find a way to fit exercise in

Star*Bucks

Re: Star*Bucks ERE Journal

Post by Star*Bucks » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:03 am

Q4 Progress

October + $3,627
November + $10,382
December + $6,057

Total Q4 Progress $20,066
Total 2017 Progress $68,122

Historical Annual Progress
2014’s NW Increase - $24,786
2015’s NW Increase - $43,912
2016’s NW Increase - $76,342
2017’s NW Increase - $68,122

Current SWR 5.75%

Things didn’t go as well as planned for 2017, my goal was 80k NW increase with a hope to hit 100k NW increase in the year. I fell very short of that and in fact didn’t even match the year priors NW increase. I did give 5k to my sister to help her pay for her new vehicle and I had a large tax bill as well, but those are just excuses.

My goal for 2018 will be 80k NW increase & to hopefully once and for all get the excess weight off of myself. I’ve been playing the “what if” game in my mind and had the thought what if my main job lays me off. I actually think the company that I work for part time would allow me to work remotely. The pay would probably suck but if I made $1,500 a month I’d do it in a heartbeat & sell all my shit and move to SE Asia. Hopefully this doesn’t happen but in all honesty if it does I wouldn’t mind. I’ve been feeling burned out lately and maybe I can cure that feeling with just a vacation. I’m not setting any other goals or resolutions for 2018 other than saving as much money as possible and losing some fat.

Star*Bucks

Post by Star*Bucks » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:19 am

January 2018 Update:

Current Assets:
Cash $34,596
401k $158,639
2nd 401k $406
IRA $27,691
Roth IRA $7,119
HSA $14,727
Home $70,000
Car $13,300

Current Debts:
Credit Card -$100

Prior Months Net Worth $313,162
Current Net Worth $326,378

Net Worth Increase of $13,216

Prior Months SWR 5.75%
Current SWR 5.52%

I’ve worked a ridiculous amount of hours between both jobs and I’ve also been very productive outside of work as well. I’m in a dilemma now. I took a state job exam couple months back which I passed; and in the first half of January I had two interviews which both went well and it looks like I may get this job. My dilemma is that I’m making more money the way things are now and I’m very familiar with the routine of both current jobs but these jobs are dead end with horrible benefits but the pay scale is good. The state job on the other hand has excellent benefits lower pay but the main kicker is the retirement. If I take the state job I’d stay at least 5 years to be vested in their pension system, if I stay doing what I’m doing now I could be FIRE in approximately 3 years but if any severe medical issue happens to me I’d much rather have the quality coverage with the state job. So many pros & cons to weight but I’m definitely leaning towards the state job. Plus it would be nice to know that in my older years I’d have my investments, Social Security, and a Pension to rely on.

Paid $280 for my Car Registration this month. I was rear ended by a Large pick up truck. No injuries and luckily my Prius was still drivable but the damage sustained to the Truck made it non operable. The guy just wasn’t paying any attention and plowed right into me at around 30-35 mph. His insurance company accepted liability immediately and now I have to go through the headache of going to the body shop, rental car agency, etc. The silver lining is that January was productive, I got a 5 figure net worth increase which I love seeing, a looming job offer from the state, and I lost 4 pounds! It’s a great start of 2018!!

Goals for February:
-Keep working all overtime possible
-Find a way to fit exercise in

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:19 pm

Nice your net worth is really cranking now.

Re the serious medical coverage concerns. Can you not just pay for your insurance yourself? How much would that cost?

Star*Bucks

Post by Star*Bucks » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:23 am

Hey Thrifty! Yea NW was on a roll but this market downturn really put a dent on the progress from last month. Oh well just keep on trucking.

As far as medical goes I was paying for my own until I switched companies in late 2017. I liked the High Deductible Plan I was on and it allowed me to invest in a HSA, but unfortunately the new company forces us to use their Health Coverage unless we are covered by another company sponsored plan i.e. if I had a wife whose work plan I was on. To be honest I don’t know how legal it is to force your employees onto your plan when they don’t want it.

That’s just one of many reasons I really hope I get the State job.

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:11 pm

Yeah I find doing net worth tally's depressing when the market turns down. At least you dont have another one until the end of the month and maybe the market will be back up again by then who knows.