Henk's journey thru life

Where are you and where are you going?
Hankaroundtheworld

Re: Henk's journey thru life

Post by Hankaroundtheworld »

DutchGirl wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:40 am
Henk, how has life been? Have you noticed anything about the political issues in Hungary?

I guess you have been okay, since generally if you're not living very close to the uproar, you can notice very little about it in your day to day life...
Hi Dutchgirl, actually nothing, as I am still on this temp Project abroad, but I will be back soon, and figure out what is going on in Hungary (you probably mean the University topic). One thing I learned, Media always exaggerate, locally it probably does not mean a lot for daily life :-)

Hankaroundtheworld

Back in Hungary, now finally free from "salary jobs". The temp project was an interesting experiment to retest my appetite for ER, and my conclusion, I am happy to settle for ER and explore other things in life than salary jobs. Even the last day, the Customer asked me to stay on and help to execute what I have sold, and I felt a bit sorry for my direct contact person when I said "no". He is a good guy and he made my life onsite bearable, but .... I felt that I did not move on by staying on in paid work. So....free again! Trying to build up this new life in Hungary.

For the moment, I am taking it easy, just working in the garden and also small renovation work at the home. I am also playing around with Blockchain investments (the new hype).

By the way, as promised, from what I gathered so far around costs of living in Hungary, you can easily live here on a budget of 1500 Euro per Month for 2 persons (assuming you have a house bought, which is anyway cheap). This includes having a car. If you assume a budget of 2500 euro per Month for a couple, you have a luxurious life over here in a green nice environment, which lots of space and friendly people.

Hankaroundtheworld

Hi everyone, still happy in Hungary. House is now almost fully renovated. Learned a lot by doing my part. I do not miss work at all. My previous employer emailed me that they want me back for a job of 2 Months, but I declined. All this hassle for a few more USD will not change my life.
Anyway, I was wondering if I should close this journal, not sure if anyone needs more of my scriblings, but please let me know, I am happy to help or answer questions.
cheers, Hank

McTrex

Post by McTrex »

Hi Henk, please keep up the journal, even if infrequently. It's always interesting and inspiring to read about the other side.

rube

Post by rube »

For sure, +1 to keep going

RealPerson

Post by RealPerson »

Yes. Please keep going. This is the point where it gets interesting for me. Details about the ERE life in Hungary please!

Hankaroundtheworld

Well, ERE life is very easy-going. As long as you do not earn money in Hungary, you do not have to pay (yearly) income taxes. There is also no taxes on wealth (like bonds or shares) as long as they are not in country. So, you basically live almost anonymously. Besides that, you can live on a low budget in Hungary. Houses are cheap, and land is cheap (less than 1 USD per sqm). Also, labor is cheap if you need help. Car driving is cheap (compared to other European countries). Life is great, fresh air, good water supply, enough sunshine, etc.. so becoming self-sufficient (if you like), is also easy achievable. All in all, I would recommend this as a ERE homebase!

J_

Post by J_ »

Hank, thanks for information of the money side of life, how is the social side? Do you speak Hungarian? What are your plans to settle in the community where you live?

Hankaroundtheworld

Social side: basically it feels sometimes (in the rural areas) that you go back 40-50 years in time. Which is a good thing: people are friendly, not rushed, are really interested in you, etc... Big challenge is the language, as Hungarian language is not related to the main languages, so you have to start from scratch. In the cities, especially the younger generation, speak English and/or German language. If you live nearby a city, like we do, you can combine the nice green and friendly countryside living with the modern living in the City. Everything is here, Hungary has a rich history in culture, and you have beautiful cities and interesting cultural festivals. So, besides the language challenge, this country will surprise you in a positive way.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Hi Henk, nice to read your update. I know one Hungarian word from a summer love way back one; this was a gorgious Hungarian guy called Szilard ... The word's "szeterlek". I guess that word will remain in my vocabulary forever. :-)

And back then, I've visited Budapest, the Balaton lake, and the old monastery of Pannonhalma. Perhaps at some point I should go and revisit the area. It was lovely then, and I'm pretty sure it's lovely still.

I'm glad you're enjoying it fully!

rube

Post by rube »

Hi Hank, hope life is good for you. Any update for us for inspiration and learning?

rube

Post by rube »

Hi Henk, I hope all is okay!