Jason's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
jasoninmississippi

Post by jasoninmississippi »

Robert - Yep, you are right. I am on chaper 4 of Glasser's book. So far it is making since about pictures in my mind. I am looking forward to learning how to replace the bad pictures with good pictures.

jasoninmississippi

This has been a good week. I have not ate out this week,which means no fast food. I have only used the vending machine one time this week, for a diet coke. I have to keep working on the mind game.

Robert Muir

Post by Robert Muir »

Good job Jason! As you're learning, what's needed is a brain reprogramming.
Look out for the grain of sand causing the avalanche though. That's when you make an accidental/on-purpose slip like the diet soda and tell yourself, "in for a penny, in for a pound" and pig out the rest of the day/week/month. As long as you can convince your inner-self that you're not the kind of guy who does that, you're likely to be fine.

rjack

Post by rjack »

Jason, I have been lurking here for awhile, but I'm finally posting for my first time. I and my family recently lost significant weight using the Paleo Diet. Basically, you suffer from Metabolic Syndrome as anybody does from eating a Standard American Diet. A calorie in is not a calorie out if the body processes different types of calories differently.
If you are curious, please see these links:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com//welcome ... ily-apple/
http://robbwolf.com/faq/
Good luck!

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Wow, an entire week of discipline and sticking to your plan! I am very impressed, keep up the good work!

jasoninmississippi

@ Robert Muir

@ JohnnyH
Thanks for the kind words and tips. I still have to watch out for,"on the way to and from work". Bad habit are hard to die.
@ rjack
I am going to wait a few weeks, before I start a new eat plan(I hate the word die-t). I am going to have to get control of my mind, before trying to change my eating.

Maus

Post by Maus »

@jasoninmiss.

You can do it, brother! I've learned to have healthy, alternative snacks close at hand to resist the temptations of co-worker's baked goods or the office nacho party (seriously, once a month on a regular schedule). Each Sunday and Wednesday I cut up some carrots, peppers, cauliflower, radishes, etc. and sort it into zip lock bags. I prep up 2 oz. of almonds in a few bags.
In my experience, it is more critical to re-learn good food choices than to start with portion control. Even if you eat a pound of red meat, it's not going to undermine your goal like a 5 oz. bag of chips or a glazed donut will. Don't force yourself to eat anything you don't enjoy, but just tell yourself that certain foods (and you seem to know which ones) are like poison for you. On the other hand, if you slip up and have a dose of poison, don't kill yourself mentally about it. Enjoy it, savor it. Then get back on the horse.
I'm losing right along with you, probably have another 100# to go. And it may take another year and a half to get there. But I know that it can be done. Keep up the great work.

jasoninmississippi

Thanks Maus. I am also having trouble with the free food at work. The last few day, when I get to work, they are baking cookie. I know it is a mind game, but they SMELL AND TASTE SO GOOD !

rjack

Post by rjack »

Jason - I don't like the term diet either. The Paleo approach is really a lifestyle that doesn't rely much on strong willpower. I painlessly lost 30 lbs and I'm male, 5 feet 7 inches, 152 lbs.

jasoninmississippi

May was a good month. I completed my number 1 goal of reducing my food budget by $185.35 (Goal was $100). I was able to stay out of restaurants for the last 2 weeks, except for this Saturday,when I when out with friends. I was unable get the rental house ready to rent, now I think it will be ready in three weeks. I hit my best saving rate of 72.40%.
Income: $2,902.30
Expenses:

Auto: Gas - $118.42

Charity - $1.00

Dining - $127.82

Drinks - $42.53

Entertainment - $10.69

Gifts - $3.63

Groceries - $185.32

Junk Food - $35.99

Late Fee - $0.50

Rent - $275.00

Savings - $2101.40
If I can cut my food budget by 2.60% I can hit my saving goal of 75%.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Go, Jason, go!

jasoninmississippi

June 2011 was my best month for my saving rate. I got my rental home rented, I thinking about doing a post on the rental house to share what I did wrong, for everyone to learn from. I hit my best saving rate at 77.04%. I am pour all my saving into paying for the improvement on rental house.
Income: 4,411.03 (I got a $1500 bonus at work this month)
Expenses:

Auto: Gas - $86.51

Cothing - $96.28 "2 pairs of New Balance Shoe's"

Dating - $59.83

Dining - $165.02

Entertainment - $10.69

Gifts - $36.61

Groceries - $101.47

Stamp - .44

Junk Food - $56.78

Late Fee - $4.00

Medical - $120.00

Rent - $275.00

Saving - $3398.40

jasoninmississippi

June 2011 was my best month for my saving rate. I got my rental home rented, I thinking about doing a post on the rental house to share what I did wrong, for everyone to learn from. I hit my best saving rate at 77.04%. I am pouring all my saving into paying for the improvement on rental house.
Income: 4,411.03 (I got a $1500 bonus at work this month)
Expenses:

Auto: Gas - $86.51

Cothing - $96.28 "2 pairs of New Balance Shoe's"

Dating - $59.83

Dining - $165.02

Entertainment - $10.69

Gifts - $36.61

Groceries - $101.47

Stamp - .44

Junk Food - $56.78

Late Fee - $4.00

Medical - $120.00

Rent - $275.00

Saving - $3398.40

rjack

Post by rjack »

That is a great savings rate! How is the weight management going?

jasoninmississippi

@ rjack - not very good. I weight in at 325 lbs, which is the weight that I seem to stay around for the last few years. The last few months my energy level seem to be going down hill and it hurts going up stairs. I think my weight is wearing my body "knee" out. I have start a "eating less" today, and I am trying use up the food that I have. Also, I going to walk or ride a exercise bike during lunch for 20 to 30 minutes, starting this week. Thanks for asking!

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Skip the exercise bike and start lifting some weights instead.

That's a much better use of your time.

teewonk

Post by teewonk »

I've read that the biggest elements of losing weight and keeping it off are 1) how much you eat and 2) how much you move around during the day.
Studies have shown that people who lose weight go into conservation mode. They unconsciously reduce activity, e.g., fidgeting, standing, or walking. The difference is a few hundred calories per day. This is why people regain weight so easily. To avoid this, you have to combat it with intentional activity throughout the day.
See here:

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=415

jasoninmississippi

I tried the Leg exercises on Monday any Wednesday, my legs seem to be feeling better. I have tried 5 leg exercises: squats, calf raise, extensions, curls, presses. My left foot is still sore in morning,for the last month,I hope that I am not getting Plantar Fasciitis for 3rd time.