The Reluctant Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
1taskaday

Re: The Reluctant Journal

Post by 1taskaday »

I have ended up working one day a week during pandemic...down from my usual two days...suits me fine.

Doing loads of cycling,golf and weight work outs with DH who is retired.
I just love my arms from the weights and might join a gym with DH when everything opens up again for a little more social interaction.

My DS passed his college first year exams...must have been an error somewhere...no way he deserved that ...

At this point I really didn't care either way...he's so immature...but anyway moving swiftly on.

Full retirement on my mind a lot as I love being off But will be down 600 every 2 weeks... don't think I could manage yet long-term with that loss.
DH tells me to just retire and we'll sell a house...but which house?...where do we want to live... nobody still knows the answer to this question.

I think if we didn't have so many choices we would be better able to decide... anyway around and around we go.

Not missing foreign travel yet as I love this country when we have long daylight hours. Also the fact that I'm really enjoying the outdoors so much helps.
I don't like when the weather is too hot as I can't work out.
I would say that I have dropped about 4/5 pounds during the lockdown as well as majorly leaning up with muscle... just shows that it can be done at any age as long as there's consistency over a long time period.

I also have honed the meditation skills because of consistently sitting 20 minutes both morning and evening.
Now when I miss a session I notice I'm a lot more frazzled... motivation to keep it up.

Care of elderly parents continues...I mainly do weekends as we have decided that it is too risky to allow aides back yet.
Who knows long-term what will happen with this...no extended family members know I just work 2 days a week...hence I can just get away with weekends at seaside house combining it with links golf.

So all in all doing well and appreciate that all the hard work and sacrifices that I made in the past has given me the fabulous lifestyle I have now.

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday »

My DH had a family funeral this week.
They are a huge extended family and end up with a big party at any excuse.
I have always found this majorly claustrophobic and avoid these events totally.
Over the years my DH has accepted this and does his own thing with his own family.

I have been following all rules and precautions in relation to Covid as I care for my elderly parents at the weekends.

My DHs extended family shook hands hugged and gathered in a small house for many hours drinking alcohol and chatting over a two day period... meaning they ignored all the rules and did their own thing.

There would have been at least 10 elderly family adults around 90 years at these gatherings.

I stuck to my guns and socially distanced at the very back of the funeral service and exited before having any contact with anyone.

All I could think about was the funeral in Northern Spain that was at the beginning of the Spanish outbreak...

Really did my self responsibility and stance make any difference...if anyone had Covid at these gatherings,my DH may pass it on to me...c'est la vie...and so much for self responsibility...maybe that should be changed to family responsibility.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob »

Ugh! Reminds me of this one https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/30/us/c ... orgia.html

Good luck with it.

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday »

Yes all we can all do at this stage is wait and see...

If the virus is going to be with us longterm (like we're being told) and we have to learn to live with it,could this be a new bone of contention between couples???
Different in law's having different ideas as to what is necessary for protection, with grandkids caught in the middle.

Now that could be a real minefield.

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday »

Finally got my eyesight tested after bike accident. All well apart from large deterioration in left eye. Optician didn't know if it was accident or just with age??
So I'll take it and move on counting myself lucky. Got new stronger glasses which I will rarely wear except for driving and playing golf.
Also resumed implant appointments,at last.
Should have them in by December,all going well.
My facial scars are fading and are easily covered with make up.
So all in all I'll take that accident as a once in a lifetime event and move on happy to be fully intact and healthy...it could have been so much worse.

We have made progress finally in trying to decide where we want to live.
Neither of us want to live in remote areas and would prefer to be in the middle of a "buzzy, with it" small town that is not far from a larger cosmopolitan area.
We have our eye on a specific massively expensive area that we both like.
We have agreed to sell our full time dwelling next Spring and rent a small lock up and leave type dwelling in the expensive area,(as that is all we could afford in this location) before making the final commitment to buy.
This is monomental progress on my DHs part...no outside large area with workshop.
He has finally excepted that we can't have it all and must make compromises.
He can have his large outdoor area with workshop in our remote seaside dwelling...where we both have decided that we couldn't live except in the summer months.
Finally progress,a few months ago the thought of renting or buying a house without a large outdoor area would have been out of the question...there is hope...
We are still hoping that eventually we will winter abroad in our house over there,but with Covid we can't be certain when this will happen.