The Reluctant Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
EdithKeeler

Re: The Reluctant Journal

Post by EdithKeeler » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:50 pm

I just want to say that I enjoy your journal. We struggle with some of the same issues, I think.

Earlybath

Post by Earlybath » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:33 am

Nearly 2 years to organise a jobshare ? That really is glacial, hope it works out and is worth the wait.

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:15 pm

So the half-time work job sharing is not happening anytime soon...the latest news being that there is no staff replacements available.

The plan was always to keep permanent until I hit age 50 years and then take early retirement...but realistically with my expenses the way they are now with my DH's retirement and one of kids starting college soon I can not afford to fully retire right now.

If I could live the way that I want (expenses-wise) I could retire but really I have no control if I want to keep a marriage and kids happy.

So I'll just keep on keeping on like a lot of people on this forum with family commitments ... I would imagine it's so easy achieve ERE if their are no kids involved...

It's going on so long now that my institutionalization has made me often ask-what do I really want anyway?

I recognise that this is a sign that my imagination and desire for freedom has dulled down and could possibly be quenched completely if I continue working full-time But there really isn't much I can do about it right now.

So I will continue to wait for the half-time work squirreling away as much as I can because I'm not brave enough to take the leap and retire and live of a small pension supplemented by drawing from my pension lump sum.

Maybe if I hated my job more I'd jump but it's really fine and cushy compared to others ... and where would I be going anyway with a home-based DH that has no interest in travelling...