The Reluctant Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
1taskaday

Re: The Reluctant Journal

Post by 1taskaday »

I finally got a chance to do out my figures and it really is all positive!!

If I keep the overtime hours up just as I have been doing, I should be mortgage free (my half) by December 2015.

This is really exciting as that is only 19 months away not the usual 2 years that I always carried in my head,(because I have not noticed time passing so quickly), nor have I had time for a while to do my figures.

Back when I job shared and earned and saved very little, I would never have dreamt that I could earn so much and hence save so much.

As Stephen Covey would say "I have just sharpened the saw”, with my financial deliberations and I am energised and motivated to keep slogging up the hill. The end is definitely nigh.

I have now set myself a target of over-paying my mortgage by 1,175 every 2 weeks. If I just stick to this I will be majorly celebrating on the 31st December 2015.

This target of 1,175/2 weeks or 2,350 every month will help me take overtime if it becomes available instead of thinking that I’ve done enough.

When this mortgage is gone I will be approx.350 richer every month for the 19 years after December 2015.I will then have monthly expenses of approx.1000, which includes my half of everything.

This new monthly expense will give me loads of OPTIONS, such as

1. I could go back job-sharing (half hours) with absolutely no overtime and every week-end off, and still save 1000 a month.

2. I could stay the same, (fulltime plus overtime) and build up a large lump sum to retire at 50.

3. I could save up 12,000 (would take about 5 months) and take a 1 year leave of absence, covering all my half of expenses.

The list of options will really be endless, so to anyone reading this journal, I would have to say "Bite the bullet hard and get to your goal the quickest way possible".

Stick to plan A plan B sucks ...

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday »

I have a large family of female siblings. They are "typical" female consumers and hence have a lot more clothes and shoes that they require. Lucky me!

As they all know of my "weird" goal -to stop working for money, as soon as I can, they pass their unwanted clothes and shoes on to me. Lucky we are all around the same size.

Yesterday I arrived up into our kitchen wearing a jumper that had been given to me by my sister. Straight away my DH asked "Where did I get the new Jumper?”

Straight away I thought maybe I could earn some "normality" brownie points here and pretend that I had actually gone shopping and bought it. So I told him it was new and that I had paid 80 pounds for it.

I thought this was so hilarious, I was trying to please him in some way by pretending that I was a "normal" female consumer.

For a while he looked confused, and couldn't register the fact that I may have gone out shopping and bought a new jumper. He then looked at me and of course I broke down laughing at the deception.

He then said, “I knew you would never buy it" and I thought how disappointing, am I that predictable...

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

:-)

Congratulations on being so close to paying off the mortgage. And congratulations on having such wonderful clothes :-)

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday »

I can't believe that it has been 2 weeks since I updated this journal.

How time flies...I better be more diligent if I hope to hit my 200 goal.

I am obsessed (as only I can and do constantly get),with hitting my target of 1,175 overpayment on my mortgage every 2 weeks.I have put my name down for extra overtime to make sure this occurs-hope I don't regret it.

I think spreading out my annual leave weekly is a great idea instead of taking it in "weekly blocks".This will ensure that I do not get overloaded or exhausted in any one week.Really the options for taking advantage of overtime while still only working a normal total weekly work hours are huge whilst utilising annual leave on a weekly basis.

Maybe employees should take more advantage of this to maximise earnings.It probably would not suit long-term but will definitely increase my earning ability up until December 2015 when my mortgage will get paid off.I am also acutely aware that the opportunity to earn this much overtime may not always be available to me and I should grab it with both hands while I can.

Isn't this what people say before they retire,"Just 1 year more,I will need the money..."

I think it's called aligning my workplace goals with my own.I know most people at work think I'm a little crazy but I smile and just say "Everything is progressing perfectly well in my plan to retire by 50 and I could not be happier with my progress".

As can be gathered from above I talk openly to everyone about my goal to stop working by 50 (or before if possible).I also have conversations with younger students that pass through our workplace about ERE and feel even if my discussions only inspire 1 out of 10 of these,what a success...

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday »

This has been an issue all through my life and still is and I’m just wondering is it a common “need” or compulsion with all INTJs.

I just HAVE to say the truth as I see it out loud to (mostly-even I have some political savvy) whoever is nearest to me at the moment I see it.

I have got to be authentic or it will eat me up inside.

Now as one can imagine this is a “sticky” issue depending on the circumstances... as everybody knows there really is no room for “truths” in the world we inhabit on a daily basis.

I think we can get away with telling the truth to family and even friends easily enough-they may not want to hear it but as they generally know your personality for years they kind of expect you to think and say as you do-they just accept that’s part and parcel of being around you.

But in a workplace to name the “GAME” that goes on, can be a problem.

The other problem with this is that you may call it as it is BUT really this is only your truth as you see it. And worst still as everybody sees it differently, what’s the POINT of being totally out of line and controversial? Nobody is going to change their mind,as they see things anyways.

I know I sound like Donald Rumsfeld’s known unknowns now ....

BUT what I’m really trying to get to is WHY CAN’T I JUST SHUT MY MOUTH AND PLAY THE GAME LIKE EVERYONE ELSE AT WORK?

Why do I need to tell the truth (as I see it) and upset the apple cart?

Is it because I’m on my ER plan and know that I won’t be there much longer and couldn’t give a crap about any type of promotion?

Am I just some type of idealist or worst still into “self destruction”? or is this an INTJ issue-have we an obsessional need to be authentic, even though on an intellectual basis we know that in certain places it is not welcome and will change absolutely nothing....

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

1taskaday wrote:This has been an issue all through my life and still is and I’m just wondering is it a common “need” or compulsion with all INTJs.

I just HAVE to say the truth as I see it out loud to (mostly-even I have some political savvy) whoever is nearest to me at the moment I see it.

Not among all, I am pretty much the opposite.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

This has been an issue all through my life and still is and I’m just wondering is it a common “need” or compulsion with all INTJs.

I'm an ENTJ, but I can relate. I don't have "to be authentic" all the time, and I certain recognize that "truth" is relative and can be quite a slippery thing. But the cognitive dissonance required sometimes of the workplace gets to me sometimes. I'm an ENTJ: we have a problem, let's get together, talk it and solve it. That's how I approach most everything, but I've realized (finally) that sometimes the Emperor doesn't like to be told he is naked, that sometimes "solving the problem" is really telling someone the current way is great and nothing needs to be changed, even though the culture says it believes in constant improvement. Well, we do... except when we don't.

I find age and having more money socked away makes me less crazy about this stuff. I've learned to pick my battles, and to say "OK, we'll do it that way," and moving on. I think a lot of it has to do with making work less of a focus in my life. When it's the main thing in your life (for me anyway), it's SO IMPORTANT. When it's not the main thing in your life, I've found it's easier to let stuff go. (Not all the time, but more).

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday »

Financials still going to plan with extra income sucked up by dental bills.

This type of life style probably really sucks where health is concerned BUT I never give up until I achieve my goal.A negative in my personality...

Anyway I just accept that as part of me along with all my other quirks,especially at this age of my life.

Sometimes the dream of ER seems so far away that I wonder the following questions:

1. Is it really even possible?
2. Even if I think the figures could stack up,will I really leave my well-paid job when the time comes?
3. Will it be worth all the effort when I do get there?
4. Am I a crazy woman with a mad plan just because I love plans and reaching goals?
5. Why have I never met ANYONE ever (in real life) that thinks this is either possible or worth the effort?
6. Will the effects of this style of living in some way scar my kids-am I in some way isolating them from their peers with my "strange"views on consuming etc.,
7. Am I in some way limiting myself or my life while trying to reach this goal?

These are just some of the thoughts that keep circling around and around in my head.Even though all the financials are still on track I seem to have hit a plateau as regards motivation or envisioning the life I will lead while retired.

I read Simple Living in Suffolk's latest post-describing his 2 years since retirement.It was a joy to read,so honest and descriptive of his personal journey to and since retirement.

When I read stuff like this it motivates me,that it will be worth it but I have definitely hit a plateau and need to sharpen that saw again...

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday »

It's been a while since I updated this journal.

I suppose nothing earth shattering to report.

Still sticking to the financial plan-kind of on automatic now.

I will keep it going (if possible) until Dec 2015 and then take a rain check.

Getting more involved with giving teens grinds on maths etc,love it.

It really is amazing how our educational system can induce a hatred of learning.
Found loads of free videos on youtube covering all aspects of their maths course for free by excellent teachers.He loves to learn this way and I love sitting beside him learning as well.

Really there is no excuse for not being able to learn at a very high level anymore-it's all on the internet.

I would love to be able to teach my son to code or programme as this is where I think his passion lies.As I know nothing about it,yet-I will just keep searching through the Youtube videos for good basic lessons on it.

Such a joke that they don't teach this at school when supposedly there are loads of jobs that can't be filled due to lack of expertise in this area.

Anyway enjoying life teaching and learning-what more could one want...

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday »

Life is good at the moment-just after a week off work and feeling energetic and relaxed.

Still teaching maths but a little impatient at our speed.Must remember it is summer holidays and all normal kids are not studying.Must be satisfied with the progress and when and how it happens.

Thinking a lot about home schooling and how quickly a whole course could be covered.
A lot to be said for it.

Kind of nervous about going back to work and losing this lovely relaxed feeling.
I know no matter what I plan there will always be some crap to sort out.

That's just work isn't it...

I have started a new(ish) fitness routine-really a muscle building one.

I was reading Arthur de Vany's stuff again-he makes so much sense.

I am trying to use really fast swimming to build up fast twitch muscle.I love the fact that de Vany's workout's last only 20-30 mins.I think that this is the ultimate in fitness as you never get bored.

Often when I don't feel like exercising I just jump in the pool-I have always loved the water so this is so easy for me.I can do bursts of face paced swimming taking breaks in between.

We will see how it goes.

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday »

Major rant ahead.

I am totally, completely absolutely done with holiday rentals.

I have had enough and more than enough of dealing with people who do not respect other people's property.

I have had enough of people who let their kids run wild without any parental supervision and feed them loads of crap and sugar-just in case they are not wild enough .

I have had enough of people who resent people who they think have more than them-even if it is through work they would never, ever dream of doing.

I have had enough of cleaning up people's crap and listening to their whines because things haven't turned out like their delusional minds imagined it would while on vacation.

Some day people will just accept the fact that just because you go on a vacation -you still remain the person you were at home, (as does your family who you bring with you).

I have had enough of been drawn into other people's "car-crash lives" and chaos.

Some day people will also accept the fact that nobody can control the weather and if you live on an island you can and often do get lots of RAIN.

Rant over.

I have also had enough of the holiday rental business stealing my freedom and my time. It is not worth the money anymore; I do not need it due to the frugal way that I live.

I have decided that this is one “table” that I am definitely walking away from- with the money still on it.

I feel huge relief from finally making a decision to leave something that I absolutely detest, even though it was helping me reach FI.

Some things are just not worth it ...

Hankaroundtheworld

Post by Hankaroundtheworld »

Haha, ranting is good sometimes, some relief it might give, and I feel with you about getting too much exposed to other people's life (and the frustrations it creates), of course it might also bring good things, a little depended on what "market segment" you are addressing with Holiday rental. Congrats with the decision-making around this!

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday »

I know I'm not supposed to generalise BUT the most perfect "customer" I find, are (by far) the Northern Europeans i.e. German, Danish, Dutch-they actually go and fix things in the house if they see anything that they can improve. I find this fascinating-why would they care? ...but they do....

They are very self-sufficient. They seem to naturally conserve water, energy etc, and will never use things just because they can. I think they have been educated through generations to conserve as opposed to consume.

They actually feed their kids FOOD instead of crap and keep everything clean even though they cook a lot.

They never complain about the weather and seem to just work around it and still have a good time.

They seem to inherently understand the whole concept of leaving a small footprint where ever they travel.

Hankaroundtheworld

Post by Hankaroundtheworld »

Glad to hear (being Dutch :-) ) , and it comes down to Education & Culture, but be careful, also in North Europe you have bad-behaving tourists (the ones that normally go to cheap beach holidays in Spain), it all depends on the Market Segment that you are addressing.

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday »

A topic that has filled my mind recently is about "the meek inheriting the earth".

My brain has switched "meek" for "weak" and has me feeling very guilty because I want to fire the incompetent incapable staff in my workplace that continuously drain my life-energy out of me.

As I work in the Public Service this will never happen but I am beginning to fantasise about it more and more.

I am full of anger and resentment that incompetent staff sail around creating chaos and huge problems, that the more capable staff have to clean up as well as doing their own work.(I am not talking about higher managers here, just basic grade staff.)

Why do capable competent, fast workers have to carry weaker ones?

It is definitely a reason that I want to become FI,the faster the better as I think as I age I get more and more resentful.

Please do not reply to this journal with "helpful solutions" as I am well capable of implementing whatever I have to, to protect myself.

It's really a type of philosophical answer that I want such as scientific studies that show "the little known truth, that weaker staff actually help a workplace" or the psychology that some employees use to leech on their peers.

I know this happens in most workplaces and just wonder why we feel we have to tolerate it?

I also wonder do they actually know how much trouble they cause or do they think everyone else is at fault?

Chad

Post by Chad »

1taskaday wrote: I know this happens in most workplaces and just wonder why we feel we have to tolerate it?
It's difficult for a lot of managers to quantify it. Plenty of other reasons too, like the more people you working under you the more important you are...etc.
1taskaday wrote: I also wonder do they actually know how much trouble they cause or do they think everyone else is at fault?
Most are clueless.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

I have some colleagues who are worse than useless - because they indeed make errors that their colleagues have to fix. Still, they have a permanent contract, so it's impossible to fire them. Meanwhile we have seen some great colleagues with temporary contracts leave. It's pretty annoying indeed.

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday »

Work sucks or maybe I suck-can't really differentiate anymore.

We have reached a major decision that we (really I), have been considering for a while.

We have a male teen addicted (in our view) or maybe just normal usage in to-day's world, to technology and gaming.

We feel wrongly or rightly that this may be interfering with his experience and enjoyment of life.

We also feel that it may be impacting his ability to concentrate and hence affecting his interest in studying and ultimately his grades.

We have decided to cut our internet completely.

This is an experiment really, who knows if we are doing the right or wrong thing? (As parents it's all just guessing really, no matter what the experts say).

But the most important thing is that we only have his best interest at heart...

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Well, the road to hell is paved with good intentions ;-)

I grew up addicted to technology and gaming. Until I basically started my "ERE-journey", that's what 100% of my money went. However, as far as addictions go, technology and gaming have to rank up there with the least harmless addictions imaginable.

Much worse if they get replaced by typical teenage pursuits doing stupid ill-considered stunts out of boredom: stealing bicycles, tuning mopeds, smoking, binge-drinking, self-mutilation, joy riding, and getting each other pregnant. I'm just reciting the exploits of certain classmates and teenagers I know/knew. Few of them did all of these. Most of them did at least one. I did none because I was busy playing Quake.

So in terms of life-experience, i.e. relationship drama, partying until the cops arrived and hauled a couple of people off, and smoking funny cigarettes, I was much behind my age group and in many respects never caught up. Conversely, those early years meant that I was far ahead of them when it came to technology and solving problems/puzzles in general. Twenty years later, I'd say my teenage life experiences were more useful than theirs.

In terms of studying I have seen examples of people studying so hard that by the time they hit college they were completely burned out. Couple that with their first taste of freedom and the result was a three year long party. There are certain parts of my mandatory education and pursuit of grades I still irrationally resent to this day. For example, I can not for the life of me be bothered to try to understand a poem. I just skip right over them whenever I see them.

My point is ... maybe internet usage or gaming is excessive. But so is removing it completely and that might have unintentional side-effects which are worse than the problem you're trying to solve. Don't expect perfection. Also, seeing as it is a teenager, they probably already have a different idea of what perfection is :)

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

My boys are obsessed with video games, too. I make them earn screen time by reading. They earn one hour of gaming for every hour of reading they do. It seems to work and I'm pleased if they read for 3-4 hours a day. They are having an all-night xbox marathon tonight, and they've been reading for two days to earn enough screen time.

Maybe you could negotiate something with him?
Last edited by jennypenny on Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.