The Reluctant Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
2Birds1Stone

Re: The Reluctant Journal

Post by 2Birds1Stone » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:29 am

Congratulations, that sounds like a wonderful arrangement.

Many of the posts I've read on other FI forums/blogs indicate that most people don't actually pursue many of the activities they previously saw themselves focusing on once they were retired/semi-retired. I'm curious to see if that is your experience as well.

One blog that comes to mind is livingaFI

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:02 pm

@2B1S great reference. I read this: https://livingafi.com/2016/02/24/defini ... t-purpose/, which addressed an aspect of FI that I'm currently sensing is the more/most important aspect, as opposed to not having to work or not having to worry about money:

In your current state, as a twenty or thirty or forty something professional, you’re not always happy, but neither are you unhappy. And you’ve internalized the profound benefits that this situation has on your life; you feel safe and secure. So what if you’re bored or frustrated a great deal of the time?

You’re not alone. This is the typical progression for white collar workers. I’m not guessing here. I recently finished reading Stud’s Terkel’s Working, in which the author interviews dozens of people with all sorts of different professions. These themes are depressingly common. Very few people are called into a profession. Most of us stumble into one and find we can manage all right, and goddamn, we need the money, so we trade our time for temporary financial stability, paycheck after paycheck, despite a growing sense of malaise that’s hard to pinpoint as the years pass.

Because you know that things weren’t always like this in your life. Back in school, your schedule changed every four months. You had different courses. Different teachers, different classmates. You were constantly meeting new people and being asked to perform in different ways.

I remember the feeling of excitement that filled me every time I collected supplies for the new sessions. I’d walk around the bookstore and find the required texts for my classes, wondering all the while. Wondering if I was prepared enough, if I’d enjoy the coursework, what the professor would be like. Wondering if I’d already know someone or would need to put myself out there and make some new friends.

This excitement virtually disappeared after a few years in my field. The first four or five years, absolutely, I occasionally became tweaked and ‘into’ some new technology — single sign on infrastructure solutions and performance profiling agents and RESTful APIs.

But within a few short years, I found it all tedious. The majority of so-called new technologies are actually a rehash or repackaging of older stuff. Yes, including the mystical cloud, which is, in reality, Just Another Datacenter. Sorry. These things are definitely not new.

Now that I’ve fixed the so-called money problem in my life, though, by becoming FI, I can return to that state of flexibility and creativity, if I so choose. (This is one of the main reasons people want to achieve FI, actually — it isn’t that they hate their jobs. They just can’t see doing the same thing for the rest of their lives.)

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:10 pm

Sounds like great fun!

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:40 am

Sitting outside with hood up and blanket over lap to keep warm.

Blue sky and sunny but only about 10 degrees now as Sun will be setting soon.

At foreign property with kids and DH for a week.

I love sitting outside even if have to get muffled up to keep warm while sitting and typing.

The guaranteed dry weather here with lovely sunny days make it so easy to plan outdoor events.

All going well so far with loads of trips,eating out and shopping for the teens...just the type of holiday they love.

I really don't care anymore as long as my reduced earnings on a 2 day week cover my expenditure.

This is my decade to "live and enjoy" all life has to offer without saving or paying down any debt.

What is the point in all the delaying of gratification if there never comes a time to just relax and enjoy all the fruits of my labour?

As long as my expenditure stays even with my earnings and I am content to stay working 2 days a week... life is good.

1taskaday

Post by 1taskaday » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:55 am

Working every day the rest of January since our week abroad..making up for my loss of discipline in taking loads of annual leave days when there was no sight of the job-sharing coming. I owe lots of days that I am not entitled to now as I am reduced to half the annual leave.

It really sucks but will be worth it to start with a blank slate again not owing any time back.

I want to have my full allowance of annual leave(job-sharers allowance) to plan my trips when the new annual leave year starts.

No clue yet what my exact wages will be...but from my 88 weeks recording of my spending all should be fine.

I have absolutely no problem cutting back on any spending if it's necessary...I know I have upped my spending recently and could easily cut it back again.

In fact I would view this as a fun challenge...a bit of hardship like sleeping overnight on a chair at an airport or not having a car and cycling everywhere would not be the slightest problem to me with the luxury of loads of free time.

I have done all these things before and got a strange sense of accomplishment and satisfaction that I could do them easily enough.

Anyway it probably won't come to that...but it's nice to know that I can do whatever is necessary to give me freedom.

Had a huge fight with car rental company when they charged our credit card for damage to the car we didn't cause.

Eventually they backed down as my DD had taken timed and dated photos of the car before we left the rental car park.

Only for that we would have been totally ripped off.

Considering getting a smart phone for this reason and for Google maps...but my resistance is huge...love my old style Nokia type phone...carry it and show it around as a badge of honour.

But the thought of having to carry a camera to take photos of rental cars before I drive them sucks.

I know that I am taking a huge risk by not getting their really expensive insurance but I have the annual insurance cover to drive rental cars which is for nothing compared to car rental companies rip off insurance. The hassle would be making a claim from them...but I suppose I'd cross that bridge if I had to.

Cheepnis

Post by Cheepnis » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:54 pm

It sounds like your have yourself a sweet deal! I only read the last couple pages of this journal, but I'm very excited and inspired by you reaching your goal. The future seems so far away, but I know I'll be in a place similar too where you are if I just keep at it!

Looking forward to seeing how your year plays out.