Smelly Swiss Dilettante

Where are you and where are you going?
Jean

Re: Swiss PhD student

Post by Jean »

I ran out of money, an had to borrow from family, but I paid too much (several thousands too much) taxes, so I'm sure to be able to pay back.
Now, I am training for physical fitness tests to join Special Forces.
I should pass those tests, but they have other criterion which are beyond my knowledge and control. If they don't chose me, I'll assume I haven't got what it takes to enjoy such a career. But in my opinion, it would be very fulfilling for me.
At the same time, I'm working (unpaid) as a lumberjack with different companies and local governments agencies, whit the prospect to start an aprenticeship in august this year.
It would take me two year and would be paid 850.- a month for the first year, and 1150.- the second year.
Its usually done by people 17 and 18 years old still living with parents, but, that should be enough.
You get skilled enough to be hired anywhere as a lumberjack.
I really enjoy the work until now.

Jean

Post by Jean »

I have no more money.
Lumberjack is not so much a good option, because it appears that every single person I met working in this field required surgry (knees, back, wrist) before turning 30.
I still could success at joining the special forces, but even if i'm motivated about it, it's not sure at all.
So I really don't know what to do.
It seems like I'm too old (29) for enty level jobs or trainee programms in my field (I studied Material engineering)
Too unexperienced for senior positions
And too qualified for alimentary jobs.
Besides that, in case I could get an interview, all those options don't motivate me enough to get hired.

I'm not fishing for compassion or criticism about how I'm not motivated, just usable advice about how to get from my position, to having a job that motivates me. Actually, just being motivated abour a reallistic job possibility would be enough. I don't wan't to take drugs to achieve this.
Can anyone help me?

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Though I graduated from college in 1986, I didn't have a real job until 1990 and didn't consider it a career until 1992, age 30. It all worked out in the end.

Motivation, however, is something that comes from within and, with the right environment, from those around you. A job that at least pays the bills does not require motivation other than the desire to have an income.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Maybe it will workout.
I just have no idea at all what I should do with my time.
I'm completely lost about how to efficiently look for a job. It seems much harder than when I was in my early twenties (when I was able to get a least some interviews and an alimentary job).
I send application, I put a lot of effort in my cover letter, but I never manage to get more than a polite reception comfirmation.
I really feel like I'm out, and I don't know where to look for advices.

Jean

Post by Jean »

My roommate introduced me to arduino.
It a open-source micro controler, which you can use to build a lot of thing.
She want's to build an egg incubator and that I handle the programming.
Ths arduino gave me some idea of personal projects. And I'm very enthousiastic about them. Well it's the begining.
But I may just take any job I find (security at 20-40% maybe), and work on these.

JamesR

Post by JamesR »

Jean,

It took me a bit more than a year to land a job. One mistake I might've made was gone job hunting early on with a beard. Later, I tried again while shaved, and and then landed one.

Try doing what you can to look younger, and don't put any hints to your age on your resume. Try rewriting your resume more in the style of a 'functional resume' that is good at hiding gaps in work history. Regardless, you're an engineer, you really shouldn't have any trouble getting hired. Keep persevering!

Have you read any books on job search? Try looking at the Knock 'em dead series at your local library. There's some strategies available because only 10% jobs on the market are actually posted, it's potentially more effective to just reach out to a hiring manager at the right time and bypass the competition.

I really benefitted from "So good they can't ignore you" by Cal Newport, and "The Subversive Job Search" by Alan Corey. BTW, I'm also an INTP.

Jean

Post by Jean »

I'm reading Newport's book right now.

mxlr650

Post by mxlr650 »

All you need is one job, and as long you are not bored to look, I would hold a hope that you can land a job. Economy is doing very well, so it should work out in your favor!

In addition to what JamesR mentions, I recommend the following
  • Create a customized Resume may for every job and preferably one page to catch hiring manager's attention that you are the right candidate

Don't mention your age, year of graduation and your complete work history if you can get away with it. In SF Bay Area no company I worked for cared about these trivia

Read about the company products before interviews and you will be way ahead of others in proving that you are proactive (it also helps you to ask smart questions)

Make a folder of company/Job-ID for every application your turn-in, and this folder should contain copies of job posting, your customized resume, and other supporting materials, so when you get a call from the hiring manager, you can quickly bring yourself up to speed on keeping up with all your lies :-)
Good luck!

Jean

Post by Jean »

I don't know, I'm applying to lots of job, and I tried many differents resume style.
I'm now applying do completly unrelated jobs in security or at a movie theater.
But it sounds a little bit like a failure at 28 yo and after a master where all my study colleagues landed jobs in big consulting firm or huge industrial companies.
I would like to be able to chose to do that, It seems like I have all the card to land a great job and I'm too bad a player.

JamesR

Post by JamesR »

Don't give up on your industry/field.. Keep following up with the huge industrial companies.

Jean

Post by Jean »

At least I'll be good moneywise.
With what i contributed to unemployment insurance, I have right to about 3000 a month for 72 weeks.
With the habits I took those last months, I should be able to save 2500 a month. (I need to pay back 3000)
That's not enough to completly kill the mortgage by its term (I have 85'000 due to october 2016). But I will make me able to considerably reduce it in case interest rate were to skyrocket then.
I just have to wait until the end of this month.
So my worst realistic case scenarion is not so bad now.
This money being conditioned to me actively looking for a job, and it being controled, I may eventualy find a job.

Dautsen

Post by Dautsen »

Do you have employment agencies in your neighborhood? I find it has a better success rate due to the immediate face 2 face contact. They're also paid when they find a job for you.

Apart from that I found my serious first job when posting my resume on job website from the gov. People started calling me. It has higher success rate when the call comes from them. I didn't even have to write a stupid cover letter. If I would have applied for those jobs, it would've been a lot harder. I don't understand HR, psycho mind game.
Last edited by Dautsen on Tue May 09, 2017 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dautsen

Post by Dautsen »

*Deleted*
Last edited by Dautsen on Tue May 09, 2017 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jean

Post by Jean »

The house is fine, I did some work on it, it's much easier to heat now.
But I really need my roomate to leave. I asked her to leave, and she just sais no. I needed to be angry to tell her, and when i stopped being angry, I stopped telling her. I'll have to tell her to leave again, but I'm afraid she'll say no, and I don't know what would happen. I'm not confortable at all with the use of force over her, altough I fear it might be my only possibility.
I need her out of my life to keep going, but that's hard when we share a bed, even with no contact.
I'll take any advice.

Dautsen

Post by Dautsen »

What are your/her legal rights? If nothing is on paper, you can just kick her out. To keep it fair I would first write a registered letter to her (is that the correct translation?) with a date by when she has to be out. When she's not out you can write another, that she'll be removed by police.

Or change the locks? :D

Jean

Post by Jean »

That's what I was refering to by use of force. I could just steal her key and wait until she leaves, she probably wouldn't notice. And then lock her out, and only open if she comes back with a truck to take her stuff.
But...
I would like her to understand that it's realy important for me to be without her, and that if she still cares a little, she should go to her parents or anywhere else. She's always making me feel like it's my fault for thing that don't work out.
She's not always mean, but I take what she says way to badly to aford to keep like this.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Some updates,
Things are going much better with the room mate, we have separate beds now, I think it helps a lot. She is more and more like a normal friend to me.
And I passed some preselection test for an army special unit. The job seems great and salary is in the low 6 figures, so I'm really not motivated at all to fight for the privilege of contributing to our industrial productivity, if I can instead be training and operating in an elite unit all over the world AND gain the same amount of money. I allready wanted to do it when I tought it was poorly paid, so...
And now, I have a great excuse to spen a lot of time hiking, and I have a great excuses to carry to much food and gears around too, because I need to train walking with heavy weigths.
Final decision is in June. I'll stay on unemployment insurance until then, and if everything goes as I wish, I'll make a nice trip to groenland between the decision and the begining of the job.

Noided

Post by Noided »

Does that "army special unit" job requires any background experience? A 6 figure salary is a lot of money where I come from.

Jean

Post by Jean »

For Switzerland, it's just a good salary (median is at 75'000). If you're attracted to money, finding a job in switzerland might be a good option for you.
For this specific job, you need to have been in the swiss military, to have achieved a professional teaching, and then you have an extensive selection process.
It seems to be the perfect job for me, so I'm really excited about it.

Noided

Post by Noided »

Man... I have to move to Switzerland