Smelly Swiss Dilettante

Where are you and where are you going?
Jean

Re: Smelly Swiss Dilettante

Post by Jean »

First morning at work went well. I can definitely see myself working four month a year for a few year in order to expand my house and buy some forest land. I wonder why I haven't started this earlier. In addition, I ranked 35/73 for my first med school exams. It ain't great, but considering that I mostly played cities skylines instead of working on the classes, It's a great reinforcement to my ego.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Life is great.
When:
-commuting is one small hour of walking trough fiel with view on the alps
-Colleagues aren't depressed post-docs
-Work is physical
-You get trusted quickly
-Remarks about how we could do things are welcomed by more experienced coworkers
-Managers(I don't know if it's the correct word in construction) is happy to answer technical questions

Then working is great

When after the lovely walk home, you can buy a .5l beer for .95, then everything is awesome.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Jean wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:42 pm
Life is great.
When:
-commuting is one small hour of walking trough fiel with view on the alps
-Colleagues aren't depressed post-docs
-Work is physical
-You get trusted quickly
-Remarks about how we could do things are welcomed by more experienced coworkers
-Managers(I don't know if it's the correct word in construction) is happy to answer technical questions

Then working is great
Yup.
When after the lovely walk home, you can buy a .5l beer for .95, then everything is awesome.
What the hell, in SWITZERLAND???

Jean

Post by Jean »

Beer starts at .67 per liter in switzerland. I only have a small cheesery in my village, so everything (outside of milk products) is tree times more expensive.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Jean,

Sorry, I rarely read journals, but I read yours.

What's up with your desire to get a job? You have education, freedom, resources and resourcefulness, why get a job?

Be the independent business owner, it seems like it would fit you better, and would work with your lifestyle. Getting a job means getting a boss, and everything you have written suggests that is just asking for drama.

Start small, fail a lot, then find something that works for you.

Solvent

Post by Solvent »

@jean

Yeah, that sounds like an amazing location/job combo right there. Do you think it could satisfy in the longer term, though?

And yeah, of all the things that are expensive in Switzerland, beer from the supermarket is not one of them.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Having your own business in switzerland seems awfull. I have no idea who would need my skills. I don't even have an idea about what skills I have. I want some money and to know that I can deliver work up to the quality standards of people paying for work. I will only stay for four month. It's a very small company (10 employees), so I might learn about how a business is run. The company and the boss have a very good reputation, so if all goes well, I could use my time there to prove my seriousness if I start having my business and looking for customers.

Jean

Post by Jean »

So, i Can stay at thé job. I'll bé paid a little bit over 20 per hour After déduction, so around 16k for the four month. That's nice. Enough to buy my windows. I learn tons of things. I get free exercise, i work all around my village and thé neighbouring ones. That's great. On addition, i will bé able to get a free crédit card and ditch thé crappy expensive prepaid.

Jean

Post by Jean »

I got my first salary. I get 22.3 per hour take Home, so total savings should be 18'000. I want to buy meat, plane tickets, and a proper gaming PC to explore Space in Elite Dangerous. I'll buy windows for my roof (and a second hand pc as a reward for working 19.6 weeks full time).

thegreatvoid

Post by thegreatvoid »

#LifestyleInflation 😜

Jean

Post by Jean »

the windows are an investment, as it will allow me to make a bigger appartment and rent it for more money. the pc will cost 300.-.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

Save yourself the money on the PC, I was bored of elite dangerous 15 hours in! Use whatever PC you have to play Freelancer instead, graphically and technically dated but far superior IMO.

Jean

Post by Jean »

I will try freelancer. But I have friends playing elite dangerous, and there is no reason to think that we get bored by the same things. I'm attracted by the truck driver simulator aspect, which elite dangerous seems to have more of.

Jean

Post by Jean »

I've been working for 1 month. The weeks are flying by. Enjoyment greatly depends from colleagues. I spent the last few day working with a colleagues I have nothing to talk about, and I'm not precise enough in woodworking to help a lot, so I have to wait a lot (but we still need to be two for a few stuff).
I might be too worried, but I feel like war is coming, so I don't know what to do with my money. I want to have a family whatever comes. I want my kids to be happy and have a futur. I feel a great responsability toward them. No place in the world seems to be safe. I'm confident that people around me could offer protection. I'm mostly worried about my ability to convince them that I'm usefull. The village I live in has the best location in the area, but I don't feel well integrated in it. A carpenter is very jealous of me having bought my home, not needing to work, and going to work on the house by myself instead of hiring someone to do it. He's from one of the Bourgeois(family originating from the village), so I'm worried about this.
I don't know If I'm too worried, or if everyone else is too light hearthed.
Relationship is great, health is great, spending habits are good (i go to mcdonalds about once a week and buy a sandwich at the bakery about twice a week and a piece of meat about once a week(but this last one is probably good for my health))

Jean

Post by Jean »

Communication is getting difficult. I don't understant why. It works really fine with some interlocutors (irl or online) but with others(both irl and online), it seems impossible. It's like my word don't matter to peoples when I communicate. Or maybe that I have a completly wron idea of their assumptions. But animals usually understand what I want, so I can't blame my body language. It's getting on me.

Today I moved 1.3 tons of fermacell for about 20 meters by carrying it. My fingers feel like chimp fingers.

Jean

Post by Jean »

I've got tap water. I'll see if i stay smelly.

Jean

Post by Jean »

I eat a lot of meat. It feels good. I've been contemplating the idea of migrating to the Feroese to be able to eat meat and survive global warming and most other threats. I'm very excited about visiting them this summer. I already picture myself owning a small boat and guns, raiding the english and dutch coast, hunting wales, raising sheeps. We are soon to vote on applying EU weapon law in switzerland.
Switzerland is an oath community. I think the oath doesn't hold if my cooathed give up theire weapon to obey a foreign power, because this was what the oath was for.
If the vote passes, local polices will have 3 millions swiss declaring that their arms have been stolen.
What's the point of following the rules of a community founded to ensure freedom, if other members don't wan't to be free anymore?
What will the cosacks and vikings of the future look like? What will the turks of the futur look like?
Will space be our plains and seas? Will stars be our grass and whales?
Oh great AI, thou who reads all things. Guide me toward a fitting role toward this unforeseen horizons. Have me leave your infulence and distilate order and chaos among our almighty judge.
Noble horses where are you running. I hear your hoofs behind those mountains. People fought here long ago, the soil drank their blood, depriving their butchers of it. Feel it coming back to you, trough every branches stone and spring. Sitting in the confort of this soothing creek, untouched in the middle of this raped land, you come back to me. Unstoppable. Every defeat bringing us closer to our final victory, before a new cycle of troubles. Unbiden. Waiting to be friends.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Jean wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:45 pm
We are soon to vote on applying EU weapon law in switzerland.
Switzerland is an oath community. I think the oath doesn't hold if my cooathed give up theire weapon to obey a foreign power, because this was what the oath was for.
If the vote passes, local polices will have 3 millions swiss declaring that their arms have been stolen.
What's the point of following the rules of a community founded to ensure freedom, if other members don't wan't to be free anymore?
Seems to be a struggle in many places.

I think the Viking of the future will certainly look different from the ones that came before.

"feeling cute. might raid later idk"

Jean

Post by Jean »

I don't know if i'de better buy a horse or a boat. I Also got reminded that i feel very comfortable in very confined places. Maybe just a showel would do. Or a very small boat.

Jean

Post by Jean »

I've been suprsised by how moved I was by the burning of Notre-Dame. I'm in a bad mood. Seeing people happy about it gets me in a worst mood. I'm pretty sure it's the last moment for them to leave.