Rickardo's 10 years to freedom blog

Where are you and where are you going?
Rickardo

Re: Rickardo's 10 years to freedom blog

Post by Rickardo »

Hi All, time for another quarterly review.

Income $20,995

Rent $2,692
Car $1,040
Moving Expenses $1,031
Food - Supermarket $1,035
Travel $580
Clothes $570
Food - restaurants $567
Financial assistance $400
Health / toiletries $376
Alcohol $327
Presents $301
Food - take out $212
Sport/gym $167
Public Transport $164
Utilities $159
Entertainment $96
Financial education $80
Coffee $35

Total: $9,832

Saving Rate 53%

Overall not a bad quarter, fairly happy with how the expenses are tracking. I moved into a new apartment, slightly more ($10per week) but much bigger in a quieter and nicer location, and only added about 5 minutes extra to my train commute. As you can see there were some expenses associated with moving (removalists, new connection fees, some new furniture, etc) but hoping to stay in this apartment for a while so I'm not too concerned.

I have noticed that 'something' unexpected expense wise comes up every quarter, it's either a car repair, moving expense, health, travel, etc, which is why I'm keeping a bit of flex in my ideal $40,000 per year living expenses. It's what I'm aiming for, but if they happen to rise to say $42 or $45,000 per year I'm not going to be too concerned. I know as long as I keep my long term savings rate above 50% I'm in a great position.

Net Worth: $808,378
ERE Net Worth: $618,602

The wealth is moving along nicely with gains this quarter mainly from cash savings and share appreciation. I'm getting closer to my first major milestone, the $1,000,000 Net Worth mark.. If things keep going the way they are it shouldn't be more than 2-3 years, but hopefully sooner!

Rickardo

2015 financial year update

Post by Rickardo »

Hi All,

Time for an end of (Australian) financial year update for the period July 2014 to June 2015.

Net Income: $96,000 (approx.)
Living Expenses: $40,646
Saving Percentage: 58%

I'm very happy with my spending over the year and it's close to my desired long term average of 60%. I have continued being disciplined with some of the strategies I spoke about in my initial posts and these have really helped bring down my core living expenses of housing, food and car/transport.

Net Wealth calculations as follows:

Assets
Real Estate: $2,018,000
Retirement Accounts: $196,161
Shares: $103,617
Cash: $19,513
Total: $2,337,291

Liabilities
Real Estate Mortgages: $1,452,931

Net Worth: $884,360
ERE Net Worth (exc. retirement acc): $688,199

That's a total net worth increase of $281,158 or 47% from last year, mainly due to increases in the value of real estate, however some is also attributed to savings, retirement accounts, and purchasing shares. I am getting much closer to the $1million mark and would love to hit this within the next 12-24 months. The numbers speak for themselves, they really show when you live below your means, invest conservatively and wisely in growth and income producing assets, that over the long term wealth really starts to snowball. I’m loving it! This site has been a great boost to me in terms of having a much more considered think about my lifestyle and living expenses – so thank you all for that. Here’s hoping in my next financial year update I’ll be a millionaire!

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Great job! 58% is awesome.

Rickardo

Post by Rickardo »

Hi guys,

Quarterly review time.

Income: $29,293

Expenses: $12,238

Saving Percentage: 58%

Expenses were relatively high this quarter (higher than average) but the savings percentage still looks good because of how the dates in the year fall, I got an extra pay drop. I also earned over $5,000 from my second job.

The reason for the increase was mainly travel expenses ($3,600), because I was travelling for over a month. I did a lot of trekking and went through Nepal/India which are relatively cheap countries but I did spend a bit more than usual. The two reasons are it was relatively expensive to go on a 2 week guided tour, and also I'm getting a bit over travelling cheaply so things such as hotels, transport etc are now starting to go up when I travel.

I'm still loving all the travel though so it's worth the cost, taking 1-2 months a year out of the workforce has been really refreshing and setting me up well to start the lower work pace which I hope to start in about 4-5 years. It does actually make the first few days back in the office really hard though!

Net Worth: $979,753
ERE Net Worth (Excludes retirement accounts): $761,253

I am edging ever closer to the $1,000,000 Net Worth mark and should reach it sometime next year at the latest, unless asset prices keep declining (which they may). It will feel good to break it, but I don't think I will feel too differently, as I keep seeming to want to push for more! I'm planning on posting a bit of an update in terms of goals, etc, early December, to coincide with me being on this site for 2 years. I'm really looking forward to the progress even in that short amount of time.

Signing off until then!

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Rickardo wrote:I'm planning on posting a bit of an update in terms of goals, etc, early December, to coincide with me being on this site for 2 years.
I'll be curious to see what your actual goals are wrt net worth. Most people here would pull the plug with a net worth close to a million, but you're still working two jobs from the sounds of it. Do you like what you do?

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

jennypenny wrote:
Rickardo wrote:I'm planning on posting a bit of an update in terms of goals, etc, early December, to coincide with me being on this site for 2 years.
I'll be curious to see what your actual goals are wrt net worth. Most people here would pull the plug with a net worth close to a million, but you're still working two jobs from the sounds of it. Do you like what you do?
In Australia house prices are so expensive that 1 million isn't that much. I don't consider my house as an FI asset. I view it as a way to minimise expenses via no rent. I do consider my mortgage as debt.

We are close to paying off our house. I hope to post on this early next year. I assume its about $1 million net worth there. I figure at $600k outside of my house I have FU money and at $800k we should be reasonably safe.

Rickardo

Post by Rickardo »

steveo73 wrote:
jennypenny wrote:
In Australia house prices are so expensive that 1 million isn't that much. I don't consider my house as an FI asset. I view it as a way to minimise expenses via no rent. I do consider my mortgage as debt.

We are close to paying off our house. I hope to post on this early next year. I assume its about $1 million net worth there. I figure at $600k outside of my house I have FU money and at $800k we should be reasonably safe.
jenny,

As steveo mentioned above, Australia is a bit different in terms of property, for example a median property in our biggest capital city is now over $1mil, which leads to Net Worth here being a bit misleading, as you really have to hold quite a bit of wealth outside of your primary house to make it comparable. From memory, while Aussies are not very good savers in general, the average wealth of an Australian family is over 700k (mainly due to equity in property and compulsory retirement contributions).

If i had $1mil in financial assets returning say 4-5% gross per annum to give me an income stream of over 50k, that would be very different. But i'm not there yet, that's why i'm currently reconsidering my goals.

Your question about my job(s) is an interesting one, no i wouldn't say i love them, but i certainly don't dislike them. The best description would probably be somewhere between tolerate and like. Why am i still working so hard/much? Probably due to really wanting to accumulate enough to set myself up for life while i'm still somewhat enjoying working, i really don't want to get into retirement then realise 5 years later i have to go back to work. There's probably a bit of fear in this too, having a bit of a conservative accumulation mindset, it's likely i'll work longer than i have to just to be really sure.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf ... enDocument
http://www.smh.com.au/business/the-econ ... 163ip.html

There are a couple of interesting articles here showing Australia's per capita wealth. We appear wealthier I think simply because we are still in a housing bubble. I honestly don't know if or when it will correct.

I'm not complaining but this to me is a reason why in Australia you need to save a little longer than the standard savings figures. I view those savings rate to retirement figures as being spot on once your house is paid off.

Rickardo

Two Year Update

Post by Rickardo »

Hi All,

It has been two years since I started my journal here. Thought I’d do a bit of a general reflection and update.

About me
A now 31 year old male living in Australia with my partner, semi separate finances (we generally split most things) and no children (yet).

I’ve been working in the same profession for nearly 11 years and I am still enjoying it (but not as much as 2 years ago). At this point I’m still content to work for another 5+ years but the earlier I have the option to leave or go part time the better.

All figures below are annually in Australian dollars (when I started the blog our dollar was about the same as $US but since then has dropped to 1AUD = 72cents US, although given I transact mainly in AUD it doesn’t make much practical difference to me)

Income
$116,000 employment
$8000 dividends

Investment/Tax Expenses
-20,000 income taxes
-13,500 retirement account contributions
-2000 rental (negatively geared property)

Living Expenses:
Between July 2012 and June 2013: $51,845
Between July 2013 and June 2014: $42,684
Between July 2014 and June 2015: $40,646

So far between July 2015 and current date I have spent about $20,000. I’m trying to keep this to $40,000 to June 2016 but will likely go over due to a higher amount of travel than usual (worth it) and future car repair/maintenance expenses.

I showed last year I can spend near my desired rate ($40,000) but really feel like $50,000 would be the spending point where I wouldn’t have to always be checking my spending, as naturally I’ve never really spent more than this in any year.

My current net worth sits at about $980,000

Housing and lifestyle
Live in an apartment with my partner, approx 10 kilometres from work. It’s in an upmarket area about 8k from the city centre and 500 metres to local shopping (which provides everything we need except a major shopping centre). Use public transport / walk as much as possible. Use car 2-4 times a week to attend second job and visit family / friends.

Long Term Goals
In my first post 2 years ago it was this:
At 40 years old (10 years 6 months from now), obtain a passive income through investments of $70,000 per annum. This will be a mixture of investment returns and drawing down cash savings.

I altered it a little in my post of March 2015 and have now refined it further:

After 20 years of working (9 years 2 months from now in February 2025, at 40 years old), obtain a passive income through investments to meet future living expenses in full – being $50,000 per year. This will be a mixture of the following:

$30,000 from a defined benefit pension
$10,00 - $15,000 from dividends
$5,000 - $10,000 from rent

In addition to this income stream I should have a good amount of equity in investment capital (real estate and shares) which I could borrow against / sell if I needed additional funds. However I’d prefer not to do this.

Where I’m at right now:
$12,108 from defined benefit pension
$8000 from dividends
-$2000 from rent

Therefore I’m $18,108 or 36% there.

Looking back, I can see how far I’ve come even in the last 2 years and I’m confident I’ll be able to reach my goals (hopefully even much earlier). If I’m still tracking at the same pace in 3 years I will have the ability to change my hours to part time by either doing 3-4 days per week or taking 2-3 months off per year to either travel, or do whatever else I feel like.

I’m hoping to look back at this post in 5 years time and laugh at how low my goals were! That’s the plan, and I’m fairly confident in achieving them. All I really have to do is keep working, which isn’t such a bad thing to sacrifice given if I live to 80 years old it means I’ll have 40 years of absolute freedom.

Any questions feel free to ask.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

Hi Rikardo,

I have some questions:-

How did you get a defined benefit pension and can you draw on it at 40 ?
Will you own your home and therefore pay no rent when you retire ?

Rickardo

Post by Rickardo »

steveo73 wrote:Hi Rikardo,

I have some questions:-

How did you get a defined benefit pension and can you draw on it at 40 ?
Will you own your home and therefore pay no rent when you retire ?
Hi steveo,

See my posts 19 and 24 in this thread for a more detailed explanation, however I got very fortunate as my employer offered a defined benefit pension when I started (it has since been closed to new employees).

I can't draw on it until 55 unless I get retrenched. So when I say $30,000 from a defined benefit pension at 40yo, it's still partly hypothetical as I may not have access to it. However all I need to do instead is use cash savings/asset sales/other income and wait till 55, by which point it will be much higher than 30k.

I am currently renting, I'm yet to decide whether to get a long term PPOR and this will likely be decided once I have to factor in kids.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

Rickardo wrote:I am currently renting, I'm yet to decide whether to get a long term PPOR and this will likely be decided once I have to factor in kids.

I mainly asked because your costs seemed really high if you weren't paying any rent. Your costs now seem lowish to me. Myself and my wife are aiming for an income between 25k to 40k when we retire which we may stretch to 50k. That includes though a paid off house.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

If I may ask, what comes under the Financial education $80 category?

Rickardo

Post by Rickardo »

fiby41 wrote:If I may ask, what comes under the Financial education $80 category?
Mainly books on investing/mindset. I could probably put them in entertainment because I do enjoy them, but decided to split them up

Rickardo

Post by Rickardo »

steveo73 wrote:
Rickardo wrote:I am currently renting, I'm yet to decide whether to get a long term PPOR and this will likely be decided once I have to factor in kids.

I mainly asked because your costs seemed really high if you weren't paying any rent. Your costs now seem lowish to me. Myself and my wife are aiming for an income between 25k to 40k when we retire which we may stretch to 50k. That includes though a paid off house.
My core living expenses of food, transport, utilities and rent sit it around 22-25k, so everything else is really just extra

Rickardo

Post by Rickardo »

Hi All,

Time for an end of (Australian) financial year update, it’s been a while. Starting with spending, I had a relatively expensive year (well over my long term average) but a lot happened and I had a really amazing year, so I’m not too concerned. A couple of highlights:

Overall spent 6 weeks on holiday, including an amazing trek through the Himalayas, travel through India and a really relaxing week of decadent bliss in Hawaii
I got engaged (will be married later this year)
Started a new role at work, same pay but much more interesting and less stress
Decided to take a break from my second job for an unspecified amount of time (but can go back if I want)
Started studying again

The spending break up is below:

Rent $10,950
Travel $9,055
Presents $6,970
Car $5,799
Self/Financial Education $3,447
Food – supermarket $3,228
Food – restaurants $3,139
Alcohol $2,222
Financial Assistance $1,700
Entertainment $1,680
Health (incl insurance) $1,571
Utilities $1,451
Public Transport $1,200
Food – take out $1,101
Other $621
Wedding $750 (most of the expense will come in the next 4 months)
Clothes $905
Sport/Gym $772
Snow $262
Coffee $259

Total $57,083

Many of the categories I’m happy enough with however a couple stand out.

Travel – This is well above average, but as I mentioned above I had some amazing experiences which I will remember for a lifetime so money well spent. It also includes some pre payments for a holiday later in the year, which means next years expenses will be much lower.
Presents – This included the engagement ring purchase. My fiancée isn’t really that material so would have been happy with something much more modest, but I felt for something that she will treasure forever it is worth the cost. It really is beautiful too, and she loves it.
Self/Financial Education – I have started some further study to advance my knowledge/qualifications in my professional field. Not absolutely vital to my current role but will set me up well for future opportunities
Everything else I felt was reasonable, although I still seem to spend too much on alcohol (which is a recurring theme!) and food, especially restaurants – I’ll work on both of these from now on.

Next year my travel, presents and education expenses will be much lower, so should bring my spending back closer to my long term average, however we also have a wedding to pay for so it depends on what the net cost of this will be.

I think using a 3 year average of expenditure will give me my best indication of what I can expect moving forward, as this is enough time to include ordinary and ‘one off’ type expenses. This currently stands at $46,500 which I would like to lower a bit, however it doesn’t overly concern me at this point. My ‘core’ living expenses of rent, utilities, transport, essential food and insurance is still about $25,000 a year, so everything else just goes to living an extravagant and comfortable life (which I do make sure I appreciate, rather than consider the norm). I will also have to start thinking about how I incorporate my soon to be wife’s income/expenditure into the equation, as generally we’ve kept things pretty separate (and may continue to do so initially).

Regarding my second job, which I’ve had for almost 10 years in addition to my full time job, while I was still getting enjoyment out of it, I decided this enjoyment (and the additional pay) just wasn’t worth the negative consequences. These include being in a constant state of tiredness afterwards, having less physical and emotional energy to pursue other interests, having less time to spend with my partner/other social activities, etc. I may go back to it after 12 months but will see how I feel then. It’s the first stage of me starting to exit paid employment because my financial position now allows me more choice in how I allocate my time. It feels good!

Now to the net worth:

I’ve now cracked the $1million net worth barrier in $AUD (which on current exchange rates is about $750,000 USD). I am quietly proud about this and feel like it’s a solid achievement. However I don’t really feel any different and it hasn’t affected my lifestyle at all, plus $1mil certainly isn’t a massive achievement in Australia, where the median house price is anywhere from $500,000 to $1,000,000 depending on which capital city you live in.

But I realise I sit somewhere around the top 1% of net wealth holders within the world (depending on which stats you use as a guide, the value of the $AUD, etc). As a middle class resident of a developed nation, I don’t think this is overly surprising however I sure do try and make a point of remembering this. I have a number of family members and friends who would probably be in a similar situation (although a bit older) and would still think they’re struggling financially. I do not think like this, and have the mindset of gratitude, knowing the time I’ve put into building my financial education and skills have really set me up to have an amazing quality of life. I’m also lucky I’ve found a partner who thinks along similar lines.

In terms of my investing income, my strategy of acquire shares in the form of exchange traded funds (ETF’s) over the past 2.5 years is now starting to pay dividends (pardon the pun!) with my dividend income being about $8500. Even though i’ve made some capital losses on the purchases (down about 10% currently) they are a long term play towards providing me with a reliable income stream somewhere around the next 5-8 years onwards. I am currently reinvesting the dividends into more shares, however when I finally decide to work less and therefore lower my employment income, I will start drawing upon them for living expenses.

Over the next few years both my dividend income and rental property income should rise significantly, and put me in a position where at least my core (if not all) living expenses are covered.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

It looks like you're doing great!!

Rickardo

Post by Rickardo »

Hi All,

Time for an update. Starting with spending, I’ve been able to have an incredibly enjoyable 6 months, while still spending within my planned range.

In total between July and December 2016 I spent $20,918, the spending break up is below:

Rent $10,950
Travel $3,021
Food – supermarket $1,770
Presents $1,757
Wedding $1,232
Food – restaurants $1,074
Utilities $990
Furniture $859
Alcohol $850
Clothes $795
Health (incl insurance) $787
Food – take out $628
Entertainment $528
Public Transport $550
Self/Financial Education $357
Car $147
Coffee $128

Savings Rate: 58%

I’m pretty happy with this spending. The way I’ve calculated wedding expenses is to offset costs against gifts received, so the above is what it cost me net. I also had much lower car expenses than usual as my car was on loan, however I have it back now so the expenses will pick up in the next half year.

Now that I’m married and we’re starting to work more as a couple financially, I will have to come up with a way of incorporating both of our spending in, which I may implement starting July this year.

Now to the net worth:

$1,169,267
ERE Net Worth (Excludes retirement accounts): $913,219

My net worth continues to climb and each day I get closer to my net worth and passive income covering my living expenses. I am still a fair way off, but feeling like I will easily achieve it by my set date. Financial (and other) aspects of life are going good!

Rickardo

Post by Rickardo »

Hi All,

Time for a slightly early end of Australian financial year update, as my wife and I are about to spend a month holidaying in Europe. As I’m now married and we are starting to combine our finances, this will be my last update based solely on my own personal finances. This has caused me to re-evaluate the goals, my initial long term goal when I started this blog in December 2013 was:

At 40 years old (10 years 6 months from now), obtain a passive income through investments of $70,000 per annum.
In March 2015 I changed this to: At 40 years old (9 years 3 months from now), obtain a passive income through investments of $50,000 per annum
I now have to discuss with my wife to fully explore our joint goals. I’ll get to this in a later post, although I’d still like to align this with my original timeframes, being the ability to fully retire after 20 years of full time work. This will still give my wife and I 40+ good years of living in financial freedom.

Now for the update:

Passive income as at June 2017:

Defined benefit pension: $15,502 (I can’t access this yet but I’m recording it now as it forms part of my long term strategy relating to accumulating other categories of passive)
Gross Share dividends: $12,919
Property: $1000
Total $29,421

Current Employment income: $110,000

Some of the highlights over the year:
- Got married and had an incredible party and honeymoon
- Almost finished my further study (just a bit left to go!)
- Had a great overseas family holiday with the inlaws over Christmas
- Had an enjoyable year at work

I had a great year and have been extremely happy with my spending, the categories are below:

Rent $10,950
Food – supermarket $3,602
Car $3,469
Travel $3,247
Presents $2,430
Food – restaurants $2,413
Entertainment $2,245
Health (incl insurance) $1,987
Alcohol $1,901
Utilities $1,719
Food – take out $1,444
Wedding $1,232
Clothes $1,182
Public Transport $1,041
Furniture: $984
Self/Financial Education $535
Sport/Gym $139
Coffee $298

Total $39,585

This is much lower than last year (over $17,000!) however last year I had a few exceptionally high categories, which I knew wouldn’t repeat (presents, travel, education). This year is right where I want to be, I had a really enjoyable year and didn’t feel like I was missing out on anything, but still managed to keep the spending down.

To expand on a few categories, ‘Wedding’ was very low as we calculated the total by subtracting the amount we received as gifts. My wife also covered the car expenses for half the year, as she was using it for work purposes. Apart from that everything was good!

I recently read Tony Robbins Money book and i’ve adapted some of his spending/wealth descriptions below:

Financial Stability (Basic 2017 living expenses, including rent, health, insurance, utilities, transport, food - excluding restaurants): $25,000

Financial Vitality (based on the total above plus half of all other expenses): $32,000

Financial Independence (3 year expense rolling average): $46,000
As you can see from my passive income, I’ve already met ‘Financial Stability’ and I’m pushing towards Financial Vitality. This will change from my next update, when I start incorporating my wifes income/spending.

In terms of NetWorth, I have now hit over $1,250,000 Australian dollars (950,000 USD based on current exchange rates). I know it sounds relatively high, however as I’ve mentioned before housing costs in Australia are high, so unless I move away from capital cities I’m not where I want to be yet.
Overall, I’ve had a great financial year. Once my wife and I start to combine everything over the next few months, I’ll be posting our long term strategy moving forward. Until then, happy ERE’ing!

wolf

Post by wolf »

Rickardo wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:17 pm
Financial Independence (3 year expense rolling average): $46,000
In terms of NetWorth, I have now hit over $1,250,000 Australian dollars (950,000 USD based on current exchange rates).
Hi Rickardo, Thank you for the update. I discovered your journal because I searched for "finance" and "freedom". Then I had a look on your latest post and I saw that your progress is really great.
If I divide your NetWorth by the Financial Independence Number then I get = about 27. You have already saved 27x your FI-costs. That's great. Have you also thought about it that way? It is a WR < 4%. :-)
Keep on saving. Take care. Cheers.
Looking forward to your next update.